(shouting)

Donkey Kong Land Trilogy - No Country for Old Game Boys

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Donkey Kong Land 2 - Grumpy Old Game Boys

Post by ano0maly »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago
Thanks for linking that. It was very intriguing to watch, sort of like an attempt at ascetic run for levels in DKC2.

It also made me miss the crisp graphics and effects of DKC2 argg Game Boy limitations
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

When I watched some DKL2 videos in the past, a big complaint was raised about the select button being used for the web platform, which is inconvenient on a real Game Boy. But I didn't realize then that you also can only have one platform at a time. That would mean that if you jump from one to another, you always have to jump while the old one is flashing and disappearing.

And I didn't mention this during DKC2 but I wonder why is there a mast detached from its ship all the way up in Gloomy Gulch
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

The pure white with shade of blues really look nice and sell the idea that it is super cold in that water! I unfortunately don't have anything nice to say about any other colour palette.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I was honestly impressed with today's levels (other than the show up out of nowhere bonus barrels). The levels represent their DKC2 versions well without feeling too watered down, and Arctic Abyss with some time as Kong out of the water in between was actually interesting.

Also am I the only one that keeps seeing the bonus level timer and mistaking that for enemies/star counters
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
Also am I the only one that keeps seeing the bonus level timer and mistaking that for enemies/star counters
all the time
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

For all that we have discussed the failings of this game so far, I believe there is no greater indictment of the game than every time you read "DESTROY THEM ALL!" out loud with as little enthusiasm as possible.

It's kind of depressing, really. What could have been...
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Land 2 - Grumpy Old Game Boys & Cows

Post by Awoo »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago For all that we have discussed the failings of this game so far, I believe there is no greater indictment of the game than every time you read "DESTROY THEM ALL!" out loud with as little enthusiasm as possible.

It's kind of depressing, really. What could have been...
I, too, miss the gravely and deep "DESTROY THEM ALL" from the DKC2 playthrough of yonder-years...
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Klubba you are "bad guy" but this does not mean you are bad guy
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago [img]
This is the best thing in this entire thread
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

A bit late for this but the original boss theme from DKC 2 is actually in the game files of Land 2.

https://youtu.be/ZWxWDZPT7cA

Interestingly enough, modding the game to play this song in normal levels will cause the game to only play silence.

The reason for that is simply that there isn't quite enough space in RAM to have every song loaded,
Boss Bossanova, along with a few other tracks, are only loaded into RAM when absolutely needed, which funny enough,
means that the game takes the time to load the track into RAM when you start up a boss stage, only to then not use the song anyways!

It's completely unknown why they never used it, but then again, this game has a few strange decisions regarding audio choices.

In a somewhat related note, Bad Bird Rag doesn't exist in the game at all,
instead the Rambi Chase theme plays during the Screech Race.

What's funny about this is that when the GBA port of DKC 2 was released 8 years later, the exact opposite situation occurred!
The Rambi Chase section plays Bad Bird Rag instead, along with the Screech Race also using it.

The Rambi Chase theme DOES exist in that game's files, and you can even listen to it with the in-game sound test.
Once again, who knows why they took the time to put the track in the sound test, but not actually in-game.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Klubba Lubba Dub Dub.

And hear this, he ported himself into the Gameboy. Funniest shit i've seen.

I like raocow's third axis theory, but I say we should go into four dimensional territory and add a "energy/want to roleplay" axis, which means the strength at which you will follow the previous three.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I think we should measure it on the number of supertuxes
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Land 2 - Grumpy Old Game Child

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago I like raocow's third axis theory, but I say we should go into four dimensional territory and add a "energy/want to roleplay" axis, which means the strength at which you will follow the previous three.
Imagine trying to play a True Neutral on that alignment chart. Neutral Neutral Neutral :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Alignment charts are dumber than this game :kood: :demo: :pily: :atsy: :bigtartle:

Watching a video of this and then watching videos of analogous levels of DKC2 make you really appreciate the nice touches of the latter.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

That Jungle level could have literally any other tileset in the game and it wouldn't be hardly any different. It's just a plain with randomly placed enemies.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

foon munkee fax

banana
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Piesonscreations

Even raocow is amused at how he manages to Mr. Magoo his way through games sometimes.
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Overall, unfortunately, a game about as exciting and impressive as its palette choices. :ehh:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Wow he was so meh on the game he left the recording in the middle of the character parade :/

Also I noticed that the bonus level star counter appears after you collect a star, and then goes away again a bit later. Maybe that's why I tended to mix up the timer with it.

This game just lacked a bunch of mechanics and characters that were integral to giving DKC2 and its levels their identities. It showed in the Lost World, too. Like Klobber Karnage may have followed its name (lots of Klobbers), but there was only the normal green type, and also it just felt like another Fiery Furnace because both manually rotatable barrels and movable barrels were replaced by generic auto-rotating blast barrels. (I did like how Fiery Furnace brought back balloons from Red Hot Ride, reviewing and remixing gimmicks.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

we already saw the enemy parade when I beat the normal game so :I
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Overall, unfortunately, a game about as exciting and impressive as its palette choices. :ehh:
Tho I like how they make their palettes look mo’ colorful by not using white & black, 1 thing that bothers me ’bout this game’s palettes are that they use the same palettes for the same level themes. For example, all the ice levels use light blue, all the bramble levels use that pea green, all the forest & mine levels use hideous brown palettes. ¿Why not use different palettes for the same themes like the SNES version did? For instance, ¿why not use the orange palette they only use for the pirate levels for “Screech’s Sprint”, which is s’posed to have an autumnal look in the original?

In fact, Donkey Kong Land III does exactly this & looks much better for it ( it’s also, surprisingly, a much better game than this ).

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago A bit late for this but the original boss theme from DKC 2 is actually in the game files of Land 2.
I’m surprised nobody brought up after this bit the fact that this game doesn’t have DKC2’s beloved “Mining Melancholy” & “Forest Interlude”, but they use space presumably too precious for those songs to include a song they don’t e’en bother using.

That said, nobody’s acknowledged that a rare few o’ these levels actually improve on the original. For instance, “Chain Link Chamber” has its hero coin in a real hiding niche in the level, not just inside a wall that you can magically move through. I also thought “Toxic Tower” is better with Squitter before Rattly: Squitter, being a god who can basically fly through levels, has the easiest section, while Rattly’s is the hardest, making a level that starts out hard build up to kind o’ a letdown o’ a climax in the original. Also, no “Castle Crush”, which was slow & boring.

In fact, it’s kind o’ interesting how they changed these levels so much that I’d consider “K-Rool’s Keep” o’ the original a low-point & “Gloomy Gulch” competitive with “Krazy Kremland” as 1 o’ the best worlds, but in this game I’d consider “K-Rool’s Keep” stronger than “Gloomy Gulch”, which was just bad in this game. Granted, having 5 out o’ 6 levels be full-on brown like this is “Chimp Caverns” probably doesn’t help.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Piesonscreations

Donkey Kong Has Landed.
ImageImage
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

& we end the game with 2 levels that remove the elements everyone remembers ’bout them.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Land 2 - Grumpy Old Gaming Time

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Donkey Kong Has Landed.
Donkey Kong has belly flopped :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image