(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Death

Post by KobaBeach »

ano0maly wrote: 1 year ago There's precedent on this channel to use an assist mode or lower the difficulty, especially for key boss fights
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Man, after a few levels with few or no new nerfs, Bird Sanctuary comes up. This level used to be awful.

First of all: At launch, any bird dying would instantly kill you. That's right: One-Hit Hero was automatic originally.
The first challenge was a speedrun with a timer of 65 seconds. Fun fact: that video is the only video I can find of the challenge before the nerf — and it cheeses the timer! According to discussions from launch there used to be more explosive eggs too, and trying to finish the speed challenge without skipping it entirely required AI manipulation to get a bomb stuck.

The mafia objective was the same, but obviously way harder with the bird instadeath.
Last edited by TheFunPolice 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The mafia mission here was quite possibly the most frustrating of all the Death Wish objectives for me with how bad I am at the game and how many birds I accidentally killed in the process. I was so so glad I played post-nerfs, dying instantly over that feels like it would go past challenging into just mean and unfun ^^;

(also, didn't the boss rush originally include the entirety of The Illness Has Spread, too? I think I read that at some point, anyway)
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

ano0maly wrote: 1 year agoThere's precedent on this channel to use an assist mode or lower the difficulty, especially for key boss fights and postgame challenges.
The key boss was pretty notorious.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Quality Time With Snatcher is another one of these I remember, and I seem to remember it giving me a hard time, so I'm impressed that raocow got to six minutes on his second try. I guess all his attempts at the boss rush probably gave him lots of experience fighting the bosses in this game. I skipped watching the recent episode 0, but the way he played the boss rush in this video, especially against the early bosses, looked like the gameplay of someone very familiar with the attack patterns of the bosses. Meanwhile I may or may not have done Quality Time With Snatcher before the boss rush; I don't really remember. Actually I didn't even remember the boss rush was a thing, despite it being a super obvious thing to exist.

LunarRainbowShyGuy

I've been looking forward to seeing raocow play this one. This is one I remember quite well, probably because it's my favourite. It's based on my favourite boss fight in the main game, so it's no surprise I'd like it here. Also, I've found that I really like a good boss fight that can kick my butt, and the boss fights here in death wish are certainly capable of doing so. For this fight in particular I like the way each boss acts mostly independently, allowing for their attacks to sync up in interesting ways, and making it so you really have to pay attention and be ready for anything these guys can throw your way. This is the type of boss fight that I could come back to just for fun, and, now that raocow's fought it, I think I'm going to do just that.

TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Quality Time With Snatcher is a fun one, and didn't get changed much AFAIK. The spinning lasers slowed down a bit, but that seems to be it.

Killing Two Birds, however, used to be much more of a clusterfuck. Faster attacks all round, with special mention to way more sawblades during phase 4.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I don't remember much about these harder versions of the bosses (Killing Two Birds is the only one I even remembered existing when raocow started this, and even then I forgot there was more to it than just fighting two bosses at once), but as soon as I saw Snatcher sending out shockwaves memories came rushing back to me. I remember having a heck of a time figuring out how to dodge all the shockwaves, especially for the attack where he sends out several sets of three in a row.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this isn't even his final form
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Oh boy, Snatcher EX.

Right, so first off, patch notes indicate that at launch Snatcher did not drop any hearts. This incredible design decision lasted exactly two days before being changed, and as such there is no video footage that I can find.

After that, the boss has been nerfed repeatedly over time. This video is the earliest fight i can find, and it is after the day 2 patch, which also slowed his spinning lasers slightly.

Later, almost every attack has been slowed down to some degree as well as making the crowd spin hitbox smaller.

Note: the dude in the youtube comments claiming that the bonus used to be 1-Hit Hero is wrong as far as I can find. The bonuses have always been 'stay above 1hp' and 'only use potions' aka 'Quality Time With Snatcher EX'.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I've noticed that I've been remembering more of these the further raocow gets in this. I suppose it makes sense: the harder ones would be more likely to leave a lasting impression on me, and those would naturally be more towards the end. And this is certainly a hard one, and I remember it well. On top of being hard to begin with, there's also the no hit no hat bonus. I was actually starting to doubt whether I had completed every bonus objective, but I opened up my old save file and saw that I did in fact do all of them. I can only assume doing them here must have been a multi day endeavour.

At least the music here is great. I've been waiting for raocow to get here so I can have a fresh experience; now that he has - well, I've wasted no time: I'm listening to it (and thoroughly enjoying it) as I type.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Should you change your mind on going for the bonus missions here again again (you probably shouldn't)

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

This is the one, this is the death wish that got me to start using Peace and Tranquility mode. It was just waaaaay too much for me in terms of the amount of time I'd have to invest into it, and a buncha other things. That windmill is evil, yo.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Re: A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

Post by pholtos »

I'm mentioning this now, as it may be one you end up using P&T on, and I have no idea when you might try to tackle it.

So there's a certain death wish mission in this game that is iffy with its peace and tranquility showing up. You may die countless times, but it still won't pop up. It has caused countless questions online about whether it exists, how to activate it, it mysteriously activates for some after quitting and coming back, but sometimes for others it does not...

Anyways if you happen to wish to use peace and tranquility, and it matches this spoiler

Seal the Deal

then go ahead and read the following:
Deaths apparently only count if you die during the birds part. Though that's not the weird part about this death wish. In order for P&T to be unlocked, you have to either do EX-Snatcher in P&T AND any other EX Boss or do all EX Bosses with P&T besides EX-Snatcher.
At least that's how I remember it and how it worked for me.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Oh, since Peace and Tranquility has come up, I should talk about the changes to it too:

September 13. Death Wish released. P&T is named EZ Mode, and cost 7 Yarn - yeah, yarn, not pons - which was a massive spend. Completeing a contract with EZ Mode does not grant the reward (hats, paints etc) it has, if any.

September 14. Cost reduced from 7 to 5 Yarn. Completing a contract on Death Wish now grants rewards.

September 14 (second patch). Cost changed from 7 Yarn to 10 Pons. Name changed from EZ Mode to Peace and Tranquility. 3 Lives mode disabled on P&T. Deactivating P&T refunds your Pons.

September 15. Cost increased from 10 to 77 Pons. Pons are no longer refunded upon deactivating P&T.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that is some messy patching
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

TheFunPolice wrote: 1 year ago Oh, since Peace and Tranquility has come up, I should talk about the changes to it too
holy hell they really fu--
raocow wrote: 1 year ago that is some messy patching
yeah what he said
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

you can submit this to speedrun.com and get seventh place
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

TheFunPolice wrote: 1 year ago Oh, since Peace and Tranquility has come up, I should talk about the changes to it too:

September 13. Death Wish released. P&T is named EZ Mode, and cost 7 Yarn - yeah, yarn, not pons - which was a massive spend. Completeing a contract with EZ Mode does not grant the reward (hats, paints etc) it has, if any.

September 14. Cost reduced from 7 to 5 Yarn. Completing a contract on Death Wish now grants rewards.

September 14 (second patch). Cost changed from 7 Yarn to 10 Pons. Name changed from EZ Mode to Peace and Tranquility. 3 Lives mode disabled on P&T. Deactivating P&T refunds your Pons.

September 15. Cost increased from 10 to 77 Pons. Pons are no longer refunded upon deactivating P&T.
Dusting off this ancient account to say thank you, I distinctly remembered trying this on launch and it being very different, but coulndnt find the info on how,likely because of how immediately fast they rushed to patch it.

also as today's video demonstrates, there's still references to the ez mode name (at death 42 at 16:25 on the video)
Ya know, its hard to take the no judgement zone stuff seriously when they reference a meme thats explictly about making fun of people playing on easy, and also because snatcher wont shut up about judging you on every death.
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

trying his best.png
trying his best.png (398.66 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Ha! Now is Mafia's chance! Mafia will thrash little girl and bring glory to Mafia Town!

Wait, where is floor?
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Tenlade wrote: 1 year ago also as today's video demonstrates, there's still references to the ez mode name (at death 42 at 16:25 on the video)
Ya know, its hard to take the no judgement zone stuff seriously when they reference a meme thats explictly about making fun of people playing on easy, and also because snatcher wont shut up about judging you on every death.
honestly who really cares, it's their game, as long as they're not doing like, The Kid Has A Bow On Medium Mode shit

i think everyone goes for the bow in fangames tho, at least og iwbtg is like. incredibly jank and dumb in ways the fangames improve upon despite most of them being just danmaku platformers at this point
Image Image
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

The bow felt tongue in cheek considering it showed up on medium difficulty in a gag filled game. never bothered me, but i could get why it might rub others the wrong way.
and yes its their game, and I can post about it.
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Tenlade wrote: 1 year ago Dusting off this ancient account to say thank you, I distinctly remembered trying this on launch and it being very different, but coulndnt find the info on how,likely because of how immediately fast they rushed to patch it.
If you wannt to take a look yourself, most of the info is coming from The Cutting Room Floor, which has much of the changes through the many patches across that page, plus some on others. That page is far from complete, though, and some of the changes I've found come from old steam forum posts, reddit posts, old livestreams and videos from before a certain time. Most of the pre-day 1,2 and 3 patch versions don't really have much footage though because of how fast they came out.

As shown by this video, the laser badge is clunky as hell and not often used. There is a modded version of the badge that makes it over-the-shoulder and lets you aim it while charging, but that might be a bit cheesy.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

if i may whinge about games throwing shade at your for dying or playing on easy mode this is why i couldn't stand the messenger (despite it not being nearly as hard as SMB, death wish, IWBTG etc)
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i mostly just think that a game making a reference to a very specific touhou meme that is in turn a reference to a like. humiliation fetish manga that was a meme on The BBS Formerly Known As 2channel? that most people won't get unless they're turbo nerds, is like baby shit compared to some of the downright juvenile shit some old pc games used to do with like comparing you selecting very easy mode to being a literal child by placing a picture of the protag as a little baby next to it

i don't really mean any insult

i play bravely default exclusively on easy mode because normal and hard is Outright Abysmal but also enjoy Shiren and SaGa and FromSoft bullshit
Image Image