(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TheFunPolice

Re: A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Death

Post by TheFunPolice »

This challenge is unchanged from release besides the 3 lives being removed.

The only way to realistically fail the 200k bonus without getting caught is through the cameras: getting seen but not caught by them still counts as disrupting recordings with the 100k penalty along with it.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I forgot how aerial this game can be. The double jump + dash + cancel combination really lets you cover a lot of horizontal distance. Plus, your jump and dash get refreshed every time you use the hookshot or touch a balloon. So if a jump looks a bit too far to make, it's likely that you can still make it anyway. These mechanics enable big skips which are especially useful for the speedrunning tasks, and they're rewarding to discover on your own.

Playing through more of the Death Wishes, my least favorites

have got to be the no-hit challenges. Sucks to get hit near the end of long missions like the Boss Rush, Wound-Up Windmill, and The Great Big Hootenanny.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't remember if this was in the 2020 playthrough: did he do the

secret Death Wish in The Arctic Cruise chapter?

If you go to Act 2, Ship Shape (or its hard counterpart, Cruisin' for a Bruisin'), there's a hidden task of kicking 6 cans behind the desk.

Beat it and a golden food appears that you can collect to have Hat Kid wear fancy sunglasses. They disappear once you leave, though.
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

So it's been a while since the last Hat in Time video. You think we'll need another warm-up session :P

And I just noticed the wall of stickies on the front page of let's play. I wonder if this is a Talkhaus record:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago And I just noticed the wall of stickies on the front page of let's play. I wonder if this is a Talkhaus record:
i legitimately do not remember if we've ever had this many before, it's been so long ago since this forum was super active. it might have been before the drama that caused me to leave even (pre-2015).
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah sorry about that :(

this voice situation really blindsided me
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote: 1 year ago yeah sorry about that :(

it's really not a big issue, just focus on getting well.

pats the ronco
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

raocow wrote: 1 year ago yeah sorry about that :(

Don't worry, I was just joking around up there. Take as much time as you need to fully recover. The Cat and the Hat can wait.

With that said, I'm not even sure you should be LPing both Adventure Island and MMPU during your rest period (on top of remaining timely with Advent), but it's understandable if you would feel too bored otherwise.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

godspeed bro. you're gonna need it
Image Image
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Welcome back raocow! Good to hear your voice recover.

To clarify for the video description, not every level used to have lives on launch, just more than there is now. Of the levels you've played so far, only Dead Bird Studio had the lives removed.

Collect-a-thon used to drain pons every 2.5 seconds instead of every 3 seconds, tightening the timers somewhat.

Fun fact, at launch it had an exploit where you could run around at the start and open all the safes before collecting pons to cheese the level. The devs quickly fixed this by making Hat Kid die of poverty if you spend too long at 0 Pons. :aliceko:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TheFunPolice wrote: 1 year ago Welcome back raocow! Good to hear your voice recover.

To clarify for the video description, not every level used to have lives on launch, just more than there is now. Of the levels you've played so far, only Dead Bird Studio had the lives removed.

Collect-a-thon used to drain pons every 2.5 seconds instead of every 3 seconds, tightening the timers somewhat.

Fun fact, at launch it had an exploit where you could run around at the start and open all the safes before collecting pons to cheese the level. The devs quickly fixed this by making Hat Kid die of poverty if you spend too long at 0 Pons. :aliceko:
shame, that sounds like something hat kid would do
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Echoing the youtube comments saying 'use the camera badge', especially when you're a bit rusty on the level layouts.

Studio Time Rift has the same 25% slower clock / 33% longer timer change that all the time rifts received compared to launch.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Welcome to Mafia Town

, Train Rush,

Mail Delivery Service

&

Picture Perfect

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This is this first one of these that I remember giving me a significant amount of trouble. Seeing raocow's attempts at that last bonus objective brought back memories of my own struggles. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to skip out on some of these bonus objectives; I don't remember what any of them are, but if this one is any indication they can get quite challenging.

Also, it's good to see that you seem to have recovered from being sick (I got sick somewhat recently, and in my experience it's not a fun time). In the meantime I started replaying this game, and I forgot how much I enjoy playing it. Maybe it's just because I haven't played any platformers at all lately, in which case this sure was a good one to come back to the genre with.

TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Yeah, this level's rough. Especially when doing it without any hats. I think there's 50 owls in the parade? Basically anywhere you walked in the last 30s is off limits, and the missiles don't help.

Launch had turning switches that required being hit with the umbrella. This basically required the time stop hat and just felt awkward. DJ tokens are just as awful as launch though :\
TheFunPolice

Post by TheFunPolice »

Fun fact: This candle used to be named '0 A-Presses', so it is indeed intended to be a pannenkoek reference.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

huh, why did they have to change the name?
like the details will explain what it means so I can't imagine it being unclarity...
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

less frustrating solution?

still seems annoying, but
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow

Post by raocow »

ah man, I did try variations on that but could never get it right, and so assumed it was a no go
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

As someone who uses a controller with Nintendo button layout printed on the controller itself, but which internally still gets picked up as an Xbox controller, i feel responsible for the name change no longer explicitly referring to the A button since my A button is what games usually refer to as the B button!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago As someone who uses a controller with Nintendo button layout printed on the controller itself, but which internally still gets picked up as an Xbox controller, i feel responsible for the name change no longer explicitly referring to the A button since my A button is what games usually refer to as the B button!
fuck xbox and dreamcast controllers.... butfuck them
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

We're finally actually done revisiting this level, at least.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I'm kinda glad these were back-to-back, the speedrun vs the limited run (exemplified by the now-legendary A Button Challenge) is always a really interesting contrast. That said: holy shit unskippable cutscenes are the absolute worst offender in rapid-iteration challenges.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This is another of these that I remember, although somehow I didn't remember the one where you have to avoid jumping at all. I tried experimenting a bit with the ice hat after raocow did the no jumping one, and I found that I was pretty good at barely pressing the button in order to maximize height gain. If I had to guess I'd say that's part of the reason I remember this over the no jumping one, as well as the fact that this one is about optimization rather than being an all or nothing thing.

Speaking of the no jumping one, I found it interesting seeing raocow's thought process behind what missions to do. I don't remember what I did, but if past me is anything like current me I probably just went in order from the beginning until I found enough that were possible (which might be another reason I didn't remember it).

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i'd just assume you'd use the time stop/slow hat and things wouldn't actually be that different???
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage