(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: A Hat in Time - Down with the Nyakuza!

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

:catcrime:
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

waow
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Even in the manwha, you need a guide to find the Hell Train:

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

woo 4.71 GB filesize
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

sounds about right
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

y e e t h a w
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

And so Mustache Girl died alone, hungry, and hated by everyone in the world. The end.

:catcrime:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - This is the face of *mumbling.*

Post by HatKid »

I had totally forgotten until I saw today's episode but I remember seeing around the time the game released an amusing animation glitch if the game was played at really low framerates during the final boss.
I don't remember who took the screenshot but I know for sure it wasn't me. I'm just glad I happened to save that.
Jafar
say yes to capes

Post by Jafar »

Fun fact: There's an unused post credits cutscene that shows what everyone's up to after getting shooed off the spaceship.
[cafe]
cafe0 = ... and the lass drops us back down, just like that! Without so much as a goodbye.
cafe1 = We *were* hanging onto her spaceship, darling. Though that was... quite the fall.
cafe2 = Very long fall. Land straight in the water. Mafia hate this - none of us are good swimmers.
cafe3 = What a view, though! You could see every inch of our world from up there...
cafe4 = ...
cafe5 = So, are we splitting the bill, or...?
cafe6 = You know, that kid had quite the bill racked up when I first met her. I'm not sure how such a little thing could get in so much trouble!
cafe7 = Child did cause lots of trouble at first, that is true. Other, hooded, child was clearly bad influence.
cafe8 = Alright, I'm glad you all got along well. Now, the formality of the bi-
cafe9 = Got along well? She basically killed me! I'm a jar now!
cafe10 = But she did turn off lava faucets. Mafia Town warm and welcoming now, not just hot mess.
cafe11 = And I daresay she made even your silly action movies look good, [name]Conductor[/name].
cafe12 = Quite the little hero after all! I just hope she's getting some rest, wherever she is...
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Hatricia creates a philosopher's stone to defeat Moustache Girl.
ImageImage
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog

Post by Window Squeegee »

Knowing Hatricia, I consider the option raocow went with to be the canon ending.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

That Hatricia, always cutting in line.

When I played, I chose to give the Time Piece to Mustache Girl, and I don't remember there being a difference. I dunno, the fact that Hatricia picked up the Time Piece in the first place made it seem like she kinda, maybe considered giving it to her. Or maybe she could have just been trolling.

Several years ago, I watched a GDQ speedrun of the Beta build, and I remember the ending showing presumably an adult version of Hat Kid. Anyone know the story behind that? Like where were they going with that and why was it cut. I don't know if the dev is still browsing this thread.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

That was a fun little adventure. I think I'll pick up this game.
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

PSI Ninja wrote: 4 years ago Several years ago, I watched a GDQ speedrun of the Beta build, and I remember the ending showing presumably an adult version of Hat Kid. Anyone know the story behind that? Like where were they going with that and why was it cut. I don't know if the dev is still browsing this thread.
I would really like to know too actually, because last I saw the devs were really tight-lipped about previous storylines and I've always wondered. What I do know is that yeah it features "Hat Adult" at a bookstore with different background music depending on whether it's the Alpha or Beta build. That is about all the public knows, I think. It's very possible I'm wrong because I haven't really been actively involved with Hat in Time or its Discord in a few years so more could have been revealed.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I kinda wished raocow viewed the throne after the battle. At least I think it was a throne? Just wanted to know what was there...I have no idea |:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
warpio

Re: A Hat in Time - FINAL for now - Revisiting the world, but different this time.

Post by warpio »

And so Hatricia committed the greatest Cat Crime of all... Putting on that awful gaudy hat.

I highly enjoyed this LP. There were some frustrating moments that could've been avoided by simply being more observant and taking more than a half-second glance at things before stubbornly assuming too much, but you definitely got better at that as the game went on. That progression of getting better at navigating 3D space was really interesting to me.

I've not even completed Death Wish yet myself. Not because I gave up or anything, just a matter of needing to make time to go back to it.. And it helps that I'm not under any obligation to complete it for the internet or anything so I can take my time with the bonus objectives and be fine with practicing for hours and not getting anywhere.

Personally I have NO trouble at all getting back into the groove of things even when I go back to progressing on Death WIsh having not played it for a long time. Maybe that's just me, idk, I just feel like this game's controls/physics are like ingrained into my muscle memory or something.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Re: A Hat in Time - FINAL for now - Revisiting the world, but different this time.

Post by Piesonscreations »

And thus, time was hatted.

Really nice LP! It being a 3D platformer, I knew there'd be some struggles, but we got :catcrime: out of it, so it was all worth it.
ImageImage
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Huh, part of the Alpine section's music in this rift reminds me of the Zelda 2 house theme. That was random.

Some last thoughts: A Hat in Time is the most fun I've had in a 3D game in a long time. The set pieces are largely original and filled with detail, the music is catchy and memorable, and it's just plain fun to play and control. You have a lot of freedom of movement in this game, and there are often many ways to approach the platforming, depending on your skill level. Basically, if you think a platform is just out of reach, you can probably just barely make it. If I were to pick a 3D platformer to speedrun, this would be it.

In my opinion, A Hat in Time is a lot better than its "companion" game of 2017, Yooka-Laylee. Yooka-Laylee is more polished, sure, but without getting into it too much, I think it lacks heart. There's clearly a lot of love and care put into A Hat in Time. Hat Kid's design is simple but she's very expressive. Lots and lots of cosmetic options and incidental silly things like the Emote Wheel and being able to make Hatricia dance. The writing is funny and quirky, the voice acting is good, and there's a surprisingly vast amount of spoken NPC dialogue.

Some of the gameplay issues are obvious, and have been demonstrated throughout the LP. The devs are probably tired of hearing this, but the camera is a problem. It zooms in way too close in tight spaces and when you're near walls, making it difficult to platform and look at your surroundings. Of course, there's the Camera Badge for that, but still. Another problem is that it's way too easy to accidentally get caught on walls due to the wall climb mechanic, which can throw you off at times. Finally, it's not always clear what surfaces you can climb up and stand on. This issue becomes apparent when you try to shortcut things. So yeah, the game's not super polished, but it's far from a deal breaker.

This LP was really fun to watch and it's been great reading and posting in this thread.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

feels weird to reduce this thread to standard while hatricia is dancing in the demo spot
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago feels weird to reduce this thread to standard while hatricia is dancing in the demo spot
she traveled back home. now she's home
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

A final hat on hat
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Finished watching the let's play yesterday, and I want to give some closing thoughts.

I did feel that it takes a bit of time and effort to get invested in watching this game, but once you do, the experience is very rewarding. There's quite a variety of things once you get past the initial introduction, including a race, stealth, and horror segment. Like it was said during the credits, you don't know what to expect because the game keeps throwing surprises and curveballs at you. I would say that beyond some basic mechanics the game tries out many different things and succeeds at it.

The open world exploration in some of the chapters was fascinating. There's so much going on everywhere with NPCs roaming around here and there, even if it's not always necessary to go there. It's kind of like what a real place would be like when there's busy activity. The many types of collectibles distributed throughout the places add motivation to explore, as do pretty things all around to look at, both within your path and out in the background. The attention to detail is splendid, and I dig having lots of small but neat things to do even in the spaceship hub.

There were some annoying things. I very much dislike those statues in Subcon Forest that chase you. It just rubs me the wrong way because they look like and behave like enemies that you expect to be able to attack but cannot; maybe they would be less apprehensive if they were just obstacles or traps. The camera view was a persistent issue, too - having more flexibility in zoom controls could have helped, perhaps? I was surprised in the last video at what the camera badge could do. I thought it was simply for taking fun photographs, but it turned out to actually a helpful tool for scanning around you.

The music is top-notch, especially in Battle of the Birds. The BGM of this chapter mixes it up with several different types of mood, from festivities to actually serious and solemn take, even if it's just an act for filming a movie.

Really glad I stuck through and watched the whole thing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

It was brought up a number of times during the LP but I don’t think raocow ever tried toggling off the camera assist or even acknowledged it. Yes, there is something to be said about a flawed dynamic camera being the default behavior, but it being treated like just this thing you have to put up with isn’t really representing the game fairly, and because of the good ol’ raolens so many people both here and in discord just ended up echoing the complaints about the camera without bothering to check or think about whether it just might be configurable. It’s kind of a standard setting for 3D games with controllable cameras; we even included a toggle for a dynamic camera in the GUrP game (though it was off by default because we couldn’t get it to work perfectly in time).

That’s really my only issue with the LP. I had fun with the game in my own playthrough and I’m glad rao did too.

But, seriously cowrao, please please PLEASE remember to try that first thing when you come back to this game for Death Wish.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

multiplayer one-off?

probably not

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
HatKid

Re: A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Death

Post by HatKid »

Might as well just reuse this thread huh? I never did much of Death Wish because it does get kinda hard

I make no promises about keeping thread updated, but I'll try

Also kinda weird not seeing a bajillion different mods active lol