(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - Gettin lost in the Skyline

Post by raocow »

I think I need that though considering how long this has the potential to be
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

You've got this, Dario. It oughta work out somehow!
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The Windmill is one of my favorite Time Pieces in the game. It's just like the purest of platforming, and it's incredibly forgiving of falling, making that constant ascent feel great. And on top of that the music is just so good.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

One issue this game has is that it gives you lots of verbs but because none of them are "required" you end up with stuff like this where the platforming segments are really long but also really samey. There are other platforming bits that use more verbs so I don't know why this one is almost entirely just normal movement with the occasional hook swing. No real gimmicks in the level design either. I dunno. This segment should be cool. But it ends up feeling tedious.

Granted, verbs like "ice" and "bomb" are not easy to work into platforming, but then that begs the question "why do they exist"
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - Boat Adventures in the Artic

Post by HatKid »

I think I had trouble with the same hook that was giving raocow trouble too, there must be something weird about it!
I only ever did the first act of the arctic cruise, I tried the second act and did not have a good time, then never tried again.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

egg
HatKid wrote: 4 years ago I think I had trouble with the same hook that was giving raocow trouble too, there must be something weird about it!
I only ever did the first act of the arctic cruise, I tried the second act and did not have a good time, then never tried again.
just seems like it's far enough away that you need to airdive for it
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Unsure why rao was so confused about the fish dude's comments. If you saw glass shards lying around, would you pick it up and carry it around? Or just tell someone "hey, careful, I saw some glass shards around"?

That's all the dude was trying to say. Then when hat kid said he was hers, he was just like "oh, weird, cool".
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
HatKid wrote: 4 years ago I think I had trouble with the same hook that was giving raocow trouble too, there must be something weird about it!
just seems like it's far enough away that you need to airdive for it
That could be it lol. I don't really remember all that well how it went for me tbh, it's been a while.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

This boat's going to be the bane of raocow's existence at some point. I feel a little bad, knowing that raocow's probably never going to be able to enjoy a cruise IRL without extreme screaming PTSD.
Razzling
Maximum gay
First name: Josie

Post by Razzling »

For some reason, I never seemed to have as much trouble with Boat Shenanigans as some people, though I like to believe I have a pretty good sense of spacial awareness in games like this so that might have something to do with it.

It's a shame he missed Snatcher in a box just because it's kinda funny

Also UwU
:trans_pride:
Koops

Post by Koops »

Maybe it would be better for raocow to do the second Act of the Arctic Cruise? I fear that he might turn into angrycow, if he returns to it later and forgot the layout of it.

Crow

Post by Crow »

Koops wrote: 4 years ago

Maybe it would be better for raocow to do the second Act of the Arctic Cruise? I fear that he might turn into angrycow, if he returns to it later and forgot the layout of it.

Yup I was 100% going to come in here and make this same post. Especially since it's otherwise gonna be like two weeks or something until he gets back here.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

i feel like that's the sort of thing that's completely useless to suggest in spoilers, especially since the extent of the "spoiling" is "hey the devs did not design the post-game dlc to be played in the way rao is intending to play it, so going with the current plan will potentially be frustrating down the line"
Koops

Post by Koops »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago i feel like that's the sort of thing that's completely useless to suggest in spoilers, especially since the extent of the "spoiling" is "hey the devs did not design the post-game dlc to be played in the way rao is intending to play it, so going with the current plan will potentially be frustrating down the line"
Well, this wasn't meant as a suggestion and more of a general question to the others. You're right though that these sort of suggestions are useless in spoilers.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Doesn't help that the second mission of the arctic cruise is by no small margin the worst in the game
warpio

Post by warpio »

I like the multi-layered design of the cruise ship and how everything connects back to everything else. It's pretty fun to zigzag around the whole place as you gradually get to know your way around. It helps that the NPCs scattered around the ship are all very funny/memorable and act as effective signposts to help you recognize where you are.

As an exploration level, this first act is already a stark contrast from most of the early-game exploration levels that threw Time Pieces at you like they were candy, and you had to go out of your way to avoid them if you wanted to experience the rest of what the level had to offer. Here it's like the game is putting your relic/rift token hunting skills to the test and making you do the same amount of work that it would normally take you to find all the extra goodies just to put 1 time piece back together. Reminds me a lot of Banjo-Kazooie and those types of games.

As for the rest of this chapter... it's a doozy.

I mean just the fact that raocow is still having trouble with basic platforming/depth perception things that are supposed to be easy by the time you get here, I can tell it's gonna be quite a thing regardless of whether he has the layout still fresh in his mind or not.

Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

I can't believe they referenced egg seal.

https://youtu.be/PL9iMPx9CpQ
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i really liked this whole world, and that includes act 2! if anything i thought act 2 went by too quick for me to even really learn the layout properly so honestly i'd prefer it be longer.

that also includes the uwuspeak! i love the uwuspeak.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Maybe they added the seals and their manner of speaking to the DLC because people complained the mumble badge was useless. (The seals are adorable, though)
Koops

Post by Koops »

uwuspeak? I thought they speak like little toddlers and that's the joke with them.
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

i see you've discovered the wonder that is akupara rift. fyi, this rift wasn't done in-house by the dev team, it was done by an external team because time pressure and other reasons. turns out that a lot of level design lessons you slowly learn over 5 years of making a game are sort of hard to relay to other designers.
Crow

Post by Crow »

in memoriam
:catcrime:
you will be missed
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Aww. The emote wheel did kill you several times, includeing the time you disabled it, but it will be missed.

For the record though, it didn't kill you the time before the time you disabled it. You were dead the moment you activated the dweller mask and then jumped into the purple, no longer existant wall.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the dark souls of hat-based platforming

Free Cam and the umbrella fall badge would have helped some today.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Arctangent
squawky

Re: A Hat in Time - Rift Adventures in the Artic

Post by Arctangent »

to be honest i'm surprised we didn't get more of those character-defining downer endings in the secret backstory photos

like sure we got it for subcon forest but mafia town was just "these guys set sail for a place of their own and look they found it!" and dead bird studio was "hey look at these two completely unrelated birds that really want to make movies! they got the same studio somehow and now hate each other. how whacky." like these backstories make sense and work but they're so simple and lacking any sort of real narrative arc that it's weird that they're told in the secret optional collectibles found in these semi-secret levels through pictures of the highlights

i dunno. i just feel like this method of storytelling in this sort of lighthearted-to-grimly-hilarious game is way more fitting to sneak in the more somber, otherwise untold backstories of important figures. like, say, the dead bird studio guys not being totally unrelated peeps that coincidentally ended up renting the same studio but instead former friends and possibly classmates ( which would also better explain why they're in the same studio than "lol they just ended up in the same one somehow!" ... not to mention, actually, add more depth to how both birds use each others' attacks in their boss fight ) that were driven apart by their rivalry, and / or film-making philosophy. or, heck, rhe bitterness from the award drama that motivates their decision to try and murder a small child

i guess mafia town's would still work in that context, though, since it acts as an intro for the other purple rifts and thus the relatively meatless backstory it reveals would set up a bait-and-switch to make the more somber start hit harder when you superclear your next purple rift