(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
warpio

Re: A Hat in Time - Chef Hat

Post by warpio »

I thought it was cool how Conductor and DJ Grooves have this duality of level themes going on. They both start out with a relaxed, exploration-focused level, and then they move onto a crazy intense high-octane platforming level within the same location. It's just their story themes that are wildly different.

I think the DJ Grooves' side exploration level was very underwhelming, but it's a great level to grind pons in (though not as much as just casually exploring a bigger level like Mafia Town or Subcon Forest). Conductor's exploration level wins by a landslide, it was way more interesting with its branching paths with multiple approaches (as demonstrated by raocow's playthrough of it where he went into almost every room the opposite way as intended) and it has the virtue of not having a soft-lock bug that can be triggered just by walking away.

Both sides had a great action level imo. Conductor's was a fun little romp with constant time pressure going on, and the final corridor which kicked up the intensity to 11 and made surviving the level become just as much of a challenge as beating the timer. DJ Grooves' parade was just a "Mission: Survive" level with a knockoff of the Shadow Mario gimmick from newer 3D Mario games, but it was executed really well, and the final phase gets even more intense than the final part of Conductor's action level.

Conductor's levels were more consistently good, but I have such a soft spot for that parade level (and its amazingly catchy music) that the two sides are basically equal to me.
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

the penguin pisses me off im glad we got to beat him up
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

fyi, you cannot run up walls after a dive, you have to be "standing upright". doing a dive cancel puts you back into standing upright. i'm quite sure you can climb on those canvas things, you just didn't notice because you were in dive mode

the no bonk badge obscures this, because otherwise you would bonk instead of trying to climb, but the no bonk sorta just lets you sail up or down depending on how the surface is oriented.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: A Hat in Time - Hat name goes here

Post by Crow »

And that's why the no bonk badge is the best badge.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

you don't need the no bonk badge if you just don't bonk and instead dive cancel, rotating 4head

also i learned after playing through most of the game that if you're annoyed about not being able to look up, turns out you can go into the settings and disable not being able to look up. the default setting is not being able to look up. i don't understand it.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
CharlesSchulz

Post by CharlesSchulz »

Isn't there a designated "look up" button?
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

So I guess you've warmed up to the Conductor a bit, huh raocow? You seemed annoyed with him in the beginning.

The remix of the studio music in the Time Rift is awesome. The way that each section adds a new layer of instrumentation is a neat touch.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

just turn the brightness of the game up
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago just turn the brightness of the game up
raocow hates opening settings menus more than wind in platformers
Jafar
say yes to capes

Post by Jafar »

It's definitely out of the scope of the LP, but I feel like both outcomes of the finale are worth checking out. It's cool to get some insight on what would motivate both of the directors to turn against you, and it shows that they're more alike than they'd ever admit to.

We saw here that the Conductor had a perfect streak going, and he's petty enough to want to take back the one award he lost to DJ Grooves. As for when you fight Grooves,
He's in denial about his movies just not being as good as the Conductor's, and accuses him of cheating for every single award he's won. He wants to use the Time Piece to take all those awards back, and acts entitled to have a Time Piece for making you the star of his movies. Never mind that he made you the star for his own benefit, not yours.
DJ Grooves also has great voice clips during his fight, he sounds absolutely cracked.
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

fyi, you were always meant to fight the winner, that's not a bug. I think the dialogue here is intended to suggest that the award got rescinded after you "blew the cover" on it being rigged, but that's admittedly a bit of a stretch.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Jafar wrote: 4 years ago It's definitely out of the scope of the LP, but I feel like both outcomes of the finale are worth checking out. It's cool to get some insight on what would motivate both of the directors to turn against you, and it shows that they're more alike than they'd ever admit to.

We saw here that the Conductor had a perfect streak going, and he's petty enough to want to take back the one award he lost to DJ Grooves. As for when you fight Grooves,
He's in denial about his movies just not being as good as the Conductor's, and accuses him of cheating for every single award he's won. He wants to use the Time Piece to take all those awards back, and acts entitled to have a Time Piece for making you the star of his movies. Never mind that he made you the star for his own benefit, not yours.
DJ Grooves also has great voice clips during his fight, he sounds absolutely cracked.
I mean, if this variation any indication, Grooves might not be wrong about Killer Woodstock, not that it excuses him from going ballistic.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Jafar
say yes to capes

Post by Jafar »

jasper_ wrote: fyi, you were always meant to fight the winner, that's not a bug. I think the dialogue here is intended to suggest that the award got rescinded after you "blew the cover" on it being rigged, but that's admittedly a bit of a stretch.
Nah, the Conductor is referring to an award he lost in the past. If you look at the trophy cases in the lobby, you can see that the one on his side has a single silver trophy, and the one on Grooves' side has a single gold trophy.
Grounder wrote:
I mean, if this variation any indication, Grooves might not be wrong about Killer Woodstock, not that it excuses him from going ballistic.
The power of save states brings out the worst in all of us.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

I'd say he should also turn off camera assist. I was having similar issues that he's having up until I did that.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Chaoxys wrote: 4 years ago
I'd say he should also turn off camera assist. I was having similar issues that he's having up until I did that.
and clean that screeeeeeeeen
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

May those future hops go well for ya
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Re: A Hat in Time - Mask shaped like a fox

Post by Piesonscreations »

I wouldn't call this a bad episode, since you got a lot of stuff, but MAN
ImageImage
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i can't yell at raocow because i do not at all remember any of those trails of light, which is why i thought this level kinda sucked and also spent ages on it. that wasn't just a badge effect, right? i am in fact just very blind?
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

I did not notice the light effects in spite of reading the description first.
CharlesSchulz

Post by CharlesSchulz »

It couldn't have hurt for the game to put slightly more emphasis on those light trails. They're noticeable, but I would like it if the action paused for just a brief second when you interact with the safe so the camera can focus on the trails coming out, just to make it super extra clear.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Reecer7 wrote: 4 years ago that wasn't just a badge effect, right? i am in fact just very blind?
I'm not sure either you or raocow are blind in your eyes, but uh... usually people's attention is drawn towards obvious shiny things.
nyoro~n
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I honestly don't understand how you could miss them, they're bright, shiny gold beams going across the map.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I missed them at first when I played but then noticed after getting one of the tickets that there was one fewer line and realized what they were at that point.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

tirakai wrote: 4 years agoI honestly don't understand how you could miss them, they're bright, shiny gold beams going across the map.
This is actually a shining example of why so many games get so dumbed down anymore.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like I said before, they parsed as decoration, as an effect
and I'm not the only one
the chillaxest of dragonsImage