(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - More Hats

Post by Blivsey »

oh well that happened

maybe they should've invisibly walled the player in so they can't just leave because it totally did despawn

but it's okay because hat kid said peck live on tv

...BIRD CRIME
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ironic that that this episode should be the pecking trainwreck :monstrosity:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

you found a bug! in all of our QA, we've never seen anybody wander too far from Denver like that... it will be tracked down and fixed at some point.

sorry for the happens,. we are but a small team, and our QA doesn't catch everything.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

calling AHIT better than mario odyssey is funny to me but i guess it depends on what kind of game you want. odyssey is a collectathon with more platformy sublevels. AHIT is........... something. it never really makes up its mind.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
warpio

Post by warpio »

That dog despawning glitch was unfortunate, but let's not forget the real mystery of this episode. What in the world could be causing that little "failure" jingle to keep happening whenever rao zooms past one of those pon bubbles?

You'd almost think the game is sad about him ignoring a fun little side activity or something. Who knows...
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I don't think it was a bug, I think it's more like DJ Grooves just watches Hat Kid wander off from his endorsement publicity stunt, and after a long awkward silence in front of a large crowd of photographers, just quietly climbs up and packs his stuff back up.

Honestly, when you fix it, get a couple voice lines for DJ Grooves to react to it.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

it's kinda great how these last two episodes are not only perfect examples of how raoproofing your game is not a simple task, but also how he digs up dramatically different things just from raoing it up

hell, you can even kinda stretch it back to ep 6 being a video about tackling a hidden-in-plain-sight high-skill platforming challenge for a bonus trinket instead of, y'know, walking forward down a majorly signposted path for something that actually progresses the game

rao really would be an invaluable asset to any qa team, and i mean that with 100% sincerity
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Hat Kid becomes an idol :kood:

Also, raocow is like the perfect player to stress test games. He'll just do the last thing developers had in mind as his first instinct.
ImageImage
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

it's also a bit funny, because in Murder, if you leave the Denver room without saving him, the phone guy actually has a special interaction; that's why there's that phone outside of the room. So not saving Denver actually did get considered in Murder, but not Picture.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

honestly i feel like it's not impossible that it was considered - just only in the "what if" sense on whether or not anything needed to be done about it. it just snuck up on the peeps that were implementing the mission that denver was capable of despawning for whatever reason, so the answer ended up being "eh not unless we can record more lines for a funny interaction" because there was no apparent reason to do otherwise

alternatively, it was both considered and one of 'em thought to sneak in some sort of interaction, even if just one cobbled together with the resources available, but they only got partway through implementing it before something more urgent needed their attention and nobody caught onto the changes already made. subsequently, denver was made despawnable, but the trigger to be fired afterwards doesn't clean up the game's state completely to compensate, or maybe even flat-out doesn't exist

just one of those things with game development where, ultimately, most of the smaller details are only going to be seen by a fraction of the team, and they're not always the people who would be aware of the full implications. and even when they are, off-days and development chaos are always things that pop up
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago it never really makes up its mind.
this is exactly why i love it so much

I actually started playing both games two days apart just last week (I got Odyssey for my birthday and was like 'raocow's playing AHiT I should probably get around to that since my new computer can actually run it') and haven't 100%ed either yet but I've been far more addicted to AHiT.
Ledgem
Bearer of the word Night
First name: Whimsikarren

Post by Ledgem »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 4 years ago
Cyril wrote: 4 years ago it never really makes up its mind.
this is exactly why i love it so much

I actually started playing both games two days apart just last week (I got Odyssey for my birthday and was like 'raocow's playing AHiT I should probably get around to that since my new computer can actually run it') and haven't 100%ed either yet but I've been far more addicted to AHiT.
Seconding that it never making up its mind is part of why it's so good. It does a lot of cool different things. I started oddyssey almost right after hat and Just. I dunno, it didn't feel great? It felt like I was doing levels for levels sake and nothing I collected had any meaning. The setpieces weren't that exciting to me in comparison; Hat looks way more beautiful than oddyssey to me. It's got more style basically everywhere! and actual characters. I guess if you're in it for strict technical platforming? but hat even feels better to play somehow. It doesn't help that oddyssey required waggle for some moves and I could never actually pull off the weird hat bounce no matter what I did despite everyone else in the world finding it simple....

But I'm ranting now. I love hat game.
I should draw a signature if I'm gonna actually post here...
CharlesSchulz

Post by CharlesSchulz »

I was inspired to get back to my abandoned hat in time playthrough and not only is it a lot more fun now that I seem to be done with most of the more dialogue heavy missions, I also learned there's a mission where

it goes full horror game

and I can't wait to see raocow's reaction when he gets there.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

CharlesSchulz wrote: 4 years ago I also learned there's a mission where

it goes full horror game

and I can't wait to see raocow's reaction when he gets there.
s a m e
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Oh dear raocow

edit: P*CK!
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Just got caught up on all these long videos. Regarding the tree climb in video #6, it seems like you kept getting tripped up by the auto-wallrun, which is an issue when navigating too close to walls. You may have had an easier time with these jumps by angling slightly away from your destination, and maneuvering back with the double jump. For jumping from branch to branch, you could have used the dash cancel to position yourself and avoid overshooting. This requires some faith on your part since you have a bit of trouble with depth perception, but like the dev said, you get a lot of hang time. Might be helpful in the future.

You get a lot of freedom with your movement in this game, which makes it fun to blaze through, especially with the Sprint Hat equipped.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Crow wrote: …There was way too much sauce on the pizza.
Best delivery in any video game.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

hope raocow will be fine!
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I knew the reason raocow was so popular was because he swore in French.

kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I do like how raocow immediately went from noticeably unhappy to giddy when given the chance to swear on TV.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Only raocow could be right next to where he needs to go, be given explicit audio instructions as well as a camera pan to show where he needs to go, and still manage to inexplicably get lost on the way. How does one pay that little attention to what they're doing?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago Only raocow could be right next to where he needs to go, be given explicit audio instructions as well as a camera pan to show where he needs to go, and still manage to inexplicably get lost on the way. How does one pay that little attention to what they're doing?
presumably the whole LP thing of talking and reacting, plus some special raocow magic. The camera pan used more than two dimensions, how is he supposed to know what direction that means?!
Jafar
say yes to capes

Post by Jafar »

You miiight've been able to make some of those long jumps today with a little practice. You can cancel your dive almost immediately after starting it, and both the dive and the cancel give you a bit of extra height.

Also, Subcon Forest is fantastic for just running around and exploring for the sake of exploring. I could get lost in there for hours.
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

i can confirm that you can make those two jumps with your current moveset, but you're not expected to. dash cancel is an advanced technique and the base game does not ever require you master it.
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I know how much you hate spoilers and backseat gaming, but I guess you can understand why people wanted you to find the diary as quickly as possible. Yeah, it does change with every single act you complete, and there are even additional entries for acts that are absolutely impossible to have access to the diary yet, that you can only see with modding. People just wanted to make sure that you got access as soon as possible so that you had the ability to read as many entries as you could. At least they didn't tell you exactly how to access it or why it was so important to find it quickly.

Also, to be fair, I had absolutely forgotten that the light appears once you get access. They probably thought you might not find it right away on your own. You have to admit, it would have been a total possibility to not find the diary until endgame or postgame when it was too late to do anything with it.

Hey, since we've got at least one dev here, I want to ask: What made you decide against including the ability to go back and read past entries? Personally, I don't mind, but a lot of people dislike permanently-missable content.