(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
The Doctor

Re: A Hat in Time - Visor

Post by The Doctor »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago i don't think hatty time is bad or anything but i don't think it's particularly great either. it's a very 7/10 kind of game tbh.
raocow is sort of seeing one of the issues, in that there are these big open areas to explore but the spots of any actual relevance are miniscule in comparison.

and there's barely anything actually worth finding on top of that, so

Yeah, that was my big issue with the game too.

When I first started playing, I loved the open world of Mafia Town and I was excited to explore and collect a bunch of crap. However, once the realization hit me that collecting stuff is utterly pointless, I lost a lot of interest in the game. I switched over to just focusing on the missions, but then the open world just got in the way. It was still fun, but I was hoping for more of a standard 3D Platformer like Banjo-Kazooie or Spyro.

. I should really continue my playthrough before raocow catches up to me.
warpio

Re: A Hat in Time - Visor

Post by warpio »

The first 4 acts that you're made to do before the game opens up kinda feel like an extended tutorial, where it's just getting you acquainted with most of the basic game mechanics while generally just railroading you to the goal with very little standing in your way.

It might feel weirdly paced compared to Mario 64 and Sunshine where the first star felt like the proper "start" to the game, but eh I don't think it was necessarily a bad thing to split the tutorial up like this with so many silly bits of story padding in between it. It's a weird intro for sure. But imo that's just part of this game's charm. It never stops being weird and throwing you for a loop.
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: A Hat in Time - Top Hat

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

CharlesSchulz wrote: 4 years agoSunshine stands out in retrospect not only for having a unique and compelling gameplay mechanic that's never been revisited, but also having a grounded, cohesive world, with some stages leaning heavy on the exploratory possibilities that Mario 64's hardware couldn't allow.
Yeah, I would agree that 1 thing Sunshine did better than 64 was having levels that felt like they went together, thanks to levels being in the distance. I forgot if Odyssey e’er did this. I’m also impressed by how Sunshine was able to have a variety o’ level themes — mo’ creative than 64’s rather generic themes — while keeping them all tropically-themed.
CharlesSchulz wrote: 4 years agoThat, along with the nostalgia element, is probably why there was so much hype for both aHiT and mario odyssey and the kind of platforming they were offering.
I figured Odyssey was mo’ inspired by 64.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - Witch Hat

Post by Reecer7 »

hateline

i hope future thumbnails continue making hat kid transparent

also: this episode reminded me of why i like this game, and think it's pretty stand out: the bosses. mario doesn't have any good bosses anymore! nothing with real gravitas! but the bosses in this game, and all the cinematics around them, are incredibly strong. the later ones really awed me.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

CAT CRIME

honestly the nyakuza metro DLC looks like it's worth getting just for that. i wanna scream CAT CRIME everywhere i go too
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
UFereSanyo
"UHH! That's Right, I Exist"
First name: Aarón

Post by UFereSanyo »

:slow: well, I already completed this game and won't make any spoiler but I wanna give you two little advices! You see, I noticed that you are normally crashing your face to walls after mid-air dashing, you can avoid that if you press the dash button or jump button before reaching the wall.
Doing so will allow Hatricia to do his little wall climbing and therefore, you can walljump after that (only if collision allows it bc some walls aren't climbable for some reason)
Now, another thing you can do is a walljump thing!
You see, you can double jump to a wall or jump dashing into a wall and then do a walljump, if you did that, you'll not be able to do much more after walljumping.
BUT, of you do a single jump into a wall and then walljump, you can perfectly jump again after the walljump and even dash after that! There's some extra height you get by doing this and can help you recover or avoid falling!
Hope you find this useful! :catplanet:
Uhh! That's right, I exist.
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

just posting here to say I adore this game. I followed the development of this game from a kotaku article many years ago which linked to a facebook page showcasing an unreal demo of hat girl walking around in a white void. Bought it day 1 and was not let down. I 100%'d the game in two days and was so hungry for more content that I got all the xbox one achievements!!

That said, speaking of xbox one I'd really appreciate it if the dlc ...ever came... :roll:
Crow

Re: A Hat in Time - Beret

Post by Crow »

posting the daily cat crimes, then ducking out
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Woodstock grew up to be a real jerk, huh?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

:catcrime:

you touched on one of my biggest complaints: some voice lines just take forever to listen to and grind against your eardrums. no offense to xander mobus he's a great va but he chews his lines a little long in this one, especially when talking about dj greuuuuuuuuuves

also if you feel like re-doing today's level just for the funsies, i'm pretty sure you can use your mouse to draw on the passport instead of using your controller
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

What is a jam? A miserable little pile of music! But enough posting, have at you!
:twisted:
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

She's gained the power of hats.
ImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

woah

well then

that is some excellence
:catcrime:
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

isn't this game moddable

can someone with talent make that a mod for raocow
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
CharlesSchulz

Post by CharlesSchulz »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the dialogue in this game to be a chore. I'm already not inclined to sit through a lot of text in an action game, and the voice actors in this game make a meal out of every single word, which belabors the scene and makes it harder to find the actual jokes. The writing and performances all really want me to be charmed but I just feel like the game is wasting my time.

It's hard to write dialogue. Let alone making it funny, economical, and full of character. Performing is a whole other beast as well, and fwiw the character voices are pretty great and fitting across the board so far. It's too bad it doesn't quite land but there are a lot of games that falter in this area.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i definitely don't understand the problems with the dialogue, but then again, most of the games i play are visual novels. like, danganronpa almost exclusively gives push-button-to-advance voice acting to the most high-tension, argumentative parts of the game, and i sit here listening to character's entire lines for like 3 hours straight.

i mean, okay, some of the characters, especially the two we are looking at today, are a little more slow-winded than i'd hope for, i'll concede that, but i just inherently value listening to nice voice acting, it doesn't bug me much.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

My problem is that it's not natural. It's the pacing, it doesn't sound like a conversation, it sounds like two individuals speaking independantly.
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

i'm impressed that an indie game has proper voice acting lol. i think the quality is a little low though, they probably recorded all the lines separately/remotely and pieced it together.

on the other hand one of the characters later on has the VA of ragyo from kill la kill which is freakin awesome (the english dub of that anime is v good)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago My problem is that it's not natural. It's the pacing, it doesn't sound like a conversation, it sounds like two individuals speaking independantly.
That's really not the fault of AHiT, that's literally every single game that has voice acting and press-to-continue dialogue boxes. It's just that the voice acting here is also over the top and the sentences are on the longer side of things to exposit the scenario. The Conductor is absolutely meant to be abrasive, but I think perhaps he's too good at it. :lol:
raocow

Post by raocow »

just because other games do it doesn't mean it's good!
helucard

Post by helucard »

I wonder if it might be possible to ask, so I'll leave it to those with a better idea of how and if to go about it.
I'm spoiler-tagging it just to be 100% on the safe side.

Due to a Certain Feature, would it be possible to have the recording software running a little earlier today...? I don't want to ruin it, both for raocow and for people who haven't played the game and seeing rao's playthrough blind, so I won't explicitly state what feature I mean unless prompted to. People who have played it will probably know what I'm talking about.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
warpio

Post by warpio »

helucard wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if it might be possible to ask, so I'll leave it to those with a better idea of how and if to go about it.
I'm spoiler-tagging it just to be 100% on the safe side.

Due to a Certain Feature, would it be possible to have the recording software running a little earlier today...? I don't want to ruin it, both for raocow and for people who haven't played the game and seeing rao's playthrough blind, so I won't explicitly state what feature I mean unless prompted to. People who have played it will probably know what I'm talking about.

Nah I don't think this is necessary.

He'll definitely notice it and start the recording as soon as he sees it, and that slightly delayed reaction will still be more authentic than if someone had explicitly told him to start recording before the file selection screen. I think that request alone would spoil the surprise especially since raocow has played Superstar Saga.

helucard

Post by helucard »

Yeah, in hindsight, I dunno why I worried. Never mind, hahahahaha
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I think it was funnier the way it ended up happening, with the episode starting literally in the middle of raocow laughing

I mean how often does *that* happen
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow

Post by Crow »

corgi quest is the most important part of the game and you are socially obligated to complete it, caorow