(shouting)

A Hat in Time Death Wish - Wishing for Peace and Tranquility

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - Top Hat

Post by HatKid »

I think this'll be a fun LP :)
JonTron did have a bigger role in the pre-release builds but in the final version he just has a tiny cameo
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

HatKid wrote: 4 years ago I think this'll be a fun LP :)
JonTron did have a bigger role in the pre-release builds but in the final version he just has a tiny cameo
Any third party hacks to restore him? Or just old archived builds?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
warpio

Re: A Hat in Time

Post by warpio »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago Any media with audio with spoken word that is observed with a device that has video or text display that doesn't have subtitles can go die in a fire.
Fortunately there is not very much spoken dialog without speech bubbles in this game outside of that intro cutscene and

HatKid's sassy little quips she makes at people

AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

What a nice LP to start off the year! I'm looking forward to keeping up with this playthrough and thread.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

warpio wrote: 4 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago Any media with audio with spoken word that is observed with a device that has video or text display that doesn't have subtitles can go die in a fire.
Fortunately there is not very much spoken dialog without speech bubbles in this game outside of that intro cutscene and

HatKid's sassy little quips she makes at people

Hopefully Windows starts including built in automated subtitle options eventually.

Then again, what kind of person can't just turn up the volume until they can hear the words.

PS: I know the answer, I'm being facetious.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago
After the rant he went on (and subsequent defense of said rant) it's probably for the best if there isn't.

That said the dlc apparently adds a Trans flag somewhere, and that just makes me all happy :trans_pride:
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

There's a bit more to the authorship drama, but at this point it's left forgotten. Having worked for Jonas, he's fantastic to work for these days, and knows how to make a game fun.

The remaining JonTron voice lines are super deep in the vaults and never getting released, hth.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

hey the hats are neat and all but also due to the awful lead behind this game i don't really, want, one, of these, hats on, my avatar, ok

the bigger part of the issue is that the author stole art assets then created an entire website to smear one of the artists he stole from which

i mean say what you want and i'm not gonna blame rao for playing the game still but

ftr regarding the game itself it's... fine
the controls are good and some of the levels are neat but the game as a whole is super unfocused and large chunks of it end up being surprisingly forgettable. i played the first DLC when it came out bcuz it was free at the time, dunno about the second DLC though or if that improved anything, but i was never wowed by it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Completely opposite post but I freaking love this game.

Just happened to completely 100% it achievements and all just only recently, so I'm curious how raocow will tackle on this game.

all death wishes, mayhaps? :3

I also had to play the game at pretty low settings, so I'm excited to see how it"s intended to look.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Dayum I look ballin'
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
CharlesSchulz

Post by CharlesSchulz »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago ftr regarding the game itself it's... fine
the controls are good and some of the levels are neat but the game as a whole is super unfocused and large chunks of it end up being surprisingly forgettable.
So it's a faithful homage to mario sunshine, basically.

I've played a little bit of this game but despite my soft spot for the era of 3d platformers it's drawing from, and despite how pleasant and natural the controls feel, it didn't hold my interest very long.

The last mission I played was an orient express style murder mystery taking place on a film set, where you do stealth platforming and gather suspects to find the killer. Setting aside that it was unclear to me whether the game actually expected me to solve the mystery or if it was entirely a tongue-in-cheek device, it just felt like too early in the game to get that gimmicky. Like I wanted a bit more pure platforming and the game was more interested in demonstrating its quirky personality.

I have no idea if I will feel different watching raocow play the game.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Hatty Time!

I refuse to call this game by its actual name, because it's not even a pun. It's a half-hearted incomplete attempt at a pun!! Boo that!

Everything else about this game is lovely. I still need to go back and do Seal the Deal and Nyakuza Metro.

And

Death Wish.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years agoI've watched PinkKittyRose stream this game a ton of time over the past couple of years.
I really wish she'd start uploading to Youtube again. She only streams and I don't do streams. Plus Twitch sucks in comparison to Youtube which is saying something because Youtube is only just usable with browser extensions as it is.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Classtoise wrote: 4 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago
After the rant he went on (and subsequent defense of said rant) it's probably for the best if there isn't.

That said the dlc apparently adds a Trans flag somewhere, and that just makes me all happy :trans_pride:
:lesbian_pride:
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Sturg wrote: 4 years agoI also had to play the game at pretty low settings, so I'm excited to see how it"s intended to look.
s a m e
helucard

Post by helucard »

Glad to see this game on the list, this is one of my all time faves, and I can't wait to see rao's reaction to Future Stuff. The HYPE is cookin'!!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Re: A Hat in Time - Visor

Post by HatKid »

Wow, everyone has cool hats now. I really enjoyed exploring Mafia Town, it seems like I always find something new each time! Before I got my current PC, I could do about 15 FPS so being able to play it at a much higher framerate is rather nice
Classtoise wrote: 4 years ago
Wow, I didn't know that; that's pretty sweet
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

The rationale ’hind this game always confused me, which is probably why I felt let down by this game ( that & its strikingly low-quality graphics — people like to compare this to GameCube games; but Super Mario Sunshine & Wind Waker look much better than this game ). I always thought this was s’posed to be a callback to ol’ 3D collectathon platformers, like Yooka-Layley, ¿but it’s apparently inspired by Super Mario Sunshine? Super Mario Sunshine isn’t a classic 3D collectathon platformer ( & is debatably a “collectathon” ) — almost everyone I know agrees that the cutoff is after Donkey Kong 64 & Banjo-Tooie. ¿Why make a callback to a genre that ne’er truly went ’way? The Wii, which was only a decade past by the time this game came out, & far younger than a decade ago when they started development, had plenty o’ modern 3D collectathon platformers like Super Mario Galaxy, Epic Mickey, & The Simpsons Game ( none o” which were particularly amazing, ’specially the latter 2... but then, this game didn’t seem all that inspired, either ).

It’ll be interesting to see not just more o’ this game, but everyone's reactions as it goes on, ’cause from my ( admittedly limited to only playing the 1st few levels ) experience, I couldn’t understand why this game received such a popular reaction compared to, say, Yooka-Layley, which a’least truly tried to be a classic 3D collectathon platformer ( e’en if it did so without any creative ideas, a common affliction for games that try to recreate classics ) — & with much better graphics, to boot. This game always rubbed me the wrong way ’cause it always seemed to be a case o’ style o’er substance: it always felt like they just created an IP ( & not a particularly mind-blowing 1, either ), & then just slapped together OK levels, controls, & physics.

¿Am I wrong? ¿Does this game get much better level design later on?

Having written that, I will admit there was 1 part o' this game that made me crack-up laughing, e’en though it probably shouldn’t, which I’ll bring up when it comes.
CharlesSchulz wrote: 4 years ago So it's a faithful homage to mario sunshine, basically.
I don’t feel like that’s accurate @ all. Super Mario Sunshine wasn’t story-based @ all — if ’twere, everyone would despise it, since everyone I’ve heard talk ’bout it agrees that, with the courtroom scene, the baby-mama drama, &

the laughably corny Disney death for Fludd that I’ve only spoilered to be e’en mo’ facetious

, Super Mario Sunshine has some o’ the dumbest writing in video gaming. Super Mario Sunshine came up with a somewhat creative idea — the water pack — with a limited few variations ( including getting rid o’ the pack in a few places ) & stayed focused on that with levels built round those mechanics. A Hat in Time didn’t seem focused to me @ all: its levels don't seem to be made for its hat mechanics, but seemed to be just basic jumps with cutscenes round them.

Also, ¿does the general public now love Super Mario Sunshine? I remember everyone thinking ’twas lame when I was young, which I can understand, considering how unambitious ’twas for its time, compared to Super Mario 64, which many forget was technologically impressive for its time. It seems like most people like that game for nostalgic reasons ( I do a’least ), so trying to make a callback to that kind o’ game seems like a bad idea. I can’t transfer my nostalgia for Pokémon Silver o’er to Soul Silver; I’m not going to be able to transfer my nostalgia from 1 game to a completely new game inspired by the ol’ game.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Regarding the question about if there's going to be any sort of checklist for the yarn ball collectibles, the answer is
Nope, there is nothing in-game telling you how many there are in a chapter/act or whether you've gotten them all. Fortunately the game provides way more of them than you'll ever need, so the only reason to go for all of them is if you just want to experience all of optional little bits of exploratory content the game has to offer.

If you want to go the "all collectibles" route with this game, my suggestion would be to just focus on the time pieces and whatever other shiny things you see along the way for now, and go back and re-explore the chapters after you've unlocked all the abilities and have gotten a lot more familiar with the game mechanics. I did this and I was surprised at how much stuff I missed on the first playthrough, it felt like a whole extra game's worth of content.
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

the biggest inspiration for this game is probably papyrus plumber, which is where a lot of the wacky story shenanigans come from. after that, a mix of pikmin, sunshine, wind waker, and other random games that the team likes, most of them ninty ones.

yarn ball spoilers:
There is an in-game ability to let you find some collectibles that you missed. There's no up-front checklist how many things are where (fun fact, I snuck a few extra yarn balls into an update once to fix a dumb bug), but with that ability, you will know when to Stop Collecting.
CharlesSchulz

Post by CharlesSchulz »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago
CharlesSchulz wrote: 4 years ago So it's a faithful homage to mario sunshine, basically.
I don’t feel like that’s accurate @ all. Super Mario Sunshine wasn’t story-based @ all — if ’twere, everyone would despise it, since everyone I’ve heard talk ’bout it agrees that, with the courtroom scene, the baby-mama drama, &

the laughably corny Disney death for Fludd that I’ve only spoilered to be e’en mo’ facetious

, Super Mario Sunshine has some o’ the dumbest writing in video gaming. Super Mario Sunshine came up with a somewhat creative idea — the water pack — with a limited few variations ( including getting rid o’ the pack in a few places ) & stayed focused on that with levels built round those mechanics. A Hat in Time didn’t seem focused to me @ all: its levels don't seem to be made for its hat mechanics, but seemed to be just basic jumps with cutscenes round them.

Also, ¿does the general public now love Super Mario Sunshine? I remember everyone thinking ’twas lame when I was young, which I can understand, considering how unambitious ’twas for its time, compared to Super Mario 64, which many forget was technologically impressive for its time. It seems like most people like that game for nostalgic reasons ( I do a’least ), so trying to make a callback to that kind o’ game seems like a bad idea. I can’t transfer my nostalgia for Pokémon Silver o’er to Soul Silver; I’m not going to be able to transfer my nostalgia from 1 game to a completely new game inspired by the ol’ game.
I only intended my sunshine comparison to apply to the Hat in Time description I was quoting; however I would say sunshine is one of the most story-heavy entries in the main line of mario platformers. Most mario games don't even attempt to include the kind of character-based drama that sunshine features, even if it is dopey and underwhelming. And I think the general consensus around sunshine has turned around to some degree, certainly not because of its story, but rather because the mario games took a turn for the linear and, arguably, aesthetically samey - at least in the New SMB series and 3D Land/World. Sunshine stands out in retrospect not only for having a unique and compelling gameplay mechanic that's never been revisited, but also having a grounded, cohesive world, with some stages leaning heavy on the exploratory possibilities that Mario 64's hardware couldn't allow. That, along with the nostalgia element, is probably why there was so much hype for both aHiT and mario odyssey and the kind of platforming they were offering.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i don't think hatty time is bad or anything but i don't think it's particularly great either. it's a very 7/10 kind of game tbh.
raocow is sort of seeing one of the issues, in that there are these big open areas to explore but the spots of any actual relevance are miniscule in comparison.

and there's barely anything actually worth finding on top of that, so

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
warpio

Post by warpio »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago i don't think hatty time is bad or anything but i don't think it's particularly great either. it's a very 7/10 kind of game tbh.
raocow is sort of seeing one of the issues, in that there are these big open areas to explore but the spots of any actual relevance are miniscule in comparison.

and there's barely anything actually worth finding on top of that, so

I see what you mean. but this criticism really only applies to the Mafia Town chapter. And even then, I would argue there's at least some things worth seeing off the beaten path.

A lot of the Mafia characters have hilarious dialog if you talk to them, and there's some pretty funny stuff in the graffiti littered all over the town which gives you a bit more of a look into Mustache Girl's antagonistic escapades.

Another point of defense I'll make here is (DLC spoilers)
The Death Wish challenges for Mafia Town do a much better job of making use of every piece of geometry in the level. There's this one challenge in particular where you need to collect an obscene amount of pons within a very strict time limit, and it actually gave me a reason to want to hunt down all the little hidden secrets in the level that only reward you with pons which normally I didn't notice or care about, and I had to figure out the best route to get to all of them and it made me a lot more intimately familiar with the layout of the level and everything.
Last edited by warpio 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Curious to see how raocow will feel about A Hat in Time as the playthrough goes on, it's a fun game and probably up the for top 3D platformers for me. Granted, I've only played so many 3D platformers, but I like this one
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

oh shoot i didn't realize raocow is playing this
I also love this game, especially the DLCs and one of the later

movie-themed

worlds.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)