(shouting)

The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep. (Currently: Mega Man 2)

Post by Bean »

(13) Wily 5 - Refights & Wily Machine #2

This stage is a freaking nightmare that took over four hours to do a no-hit run on because it's all bosses, and four of them have such tight windows to dodge attacks. The first two, Quick and Air Man, cost me on so, so many runs that it became less of a joke and more of an expectation that when I did make it past them, it was victory hop time. Not to say that it gets totally easy from there as all of the other bosses managed to hit me in this one at least once before finally putting it down. The worst was messing up the final shot on Wily himself... twice. I knew it would be rough, but man, not all-time longest recording session for a single stage no-hit clear rough. Yeesh.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(14) Final Stage - Alien & Ending

After spending about six hours combined playing the last two stages, it felt good to quickly knock this one down in under ten minutes, credits included. Let's face it. After going through all the nonsense there is to get to the final boss, it's relatively easy as long as you have enough Bubble Lead to finish the job. We do, we did, we took down Mega Man 2 without taking damage. Let's never do that again. Oy.

Next time will be a game that I last played both on the channel and in general about a month before the talkhaus existed. Go figure!
helucard

Post by helucard »

This playthrough has been fantastic. Thanks for playin' bud.
Lookin' forward to the next!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Thanks! I'll see if I can get to the next game in a few weeks or so instead of a few months. It'd be nice!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep. (Currently: Dr. Wily's Revenge)

Post by Bean »

(1) Cut Man

Nope. Turned out to be a few months anyway. Oops! Anyway, it's time to take on the first of five Game Boy games and do the first ever replay on the channel with the very first official game I played on it. Let's blame YT for deleting annotations and myself for recording the original run in pretty poor quality. Have a little more practice with real Mega Man games after eleven and a half years, so this should go a bit better than the pre-talkhaus 2009 run did!

We'll start with where we did on the NES by taking on Cut Man. Stage is a little more indoors than before, and it seems to be borrowing a bit from Metal Man, but it's still a pretty good place to start overall if you can get used to the one new enemy in this game. If you can, you win! Maybe. The monochrome adventures of Mega Man begin again right now!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Elec Man

Back to where the Mega Man official stage runs started with Elec Man's easy stage. Well, maybe it's not that easy since there are a bunch of jumps that involve good timing, but I don't see many players have problems with them if you take your time. Either that, or just watch the video and go, go, go!

Elec Man as a boss in this game is both easier in that he doesn't take off as much damage as before and harder because you can't just stand still and shoot him when he raises his arms in the air anymore. Either way, just get ready for a little do-si-do, and away he goes! Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Ice Man

Believe it or not, but Ice Man's level has ice in it. That means it's slippery sailing throughout this one. The worst thing in this stage or the cube blocks that fade away under Mega's weight. Can't jump off those as they're falling apart, so you kind of have to keep jumping to make sure they don't start doing that or get a very well-timed leap to keep from landing in spikes. Walked right into them a bunch.

Ice Man's fight also has ice in it, but not as much as it did on the NES days which means things will be pretty chill in this one. Honestly, this fight's arguably more toned down than our next one will be, but that's talk best left for next time. Meanwhile, you can take the playthrough away from perfect runs, but you can't keep the perfect runs away from your playthrough. Onward!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Fire Man

Saving the worst for last, here's a stage that loves its annoyingly placed enemies and ambushes all throughout. The Joes are Joes, but the Bladers on the small screen just love attacking during a jump. Fun times. If that's not enough, this level also marks the return of Hotheads, and their fire tosses are way more on the mark than before. Again, with less room to work with, it's easy to get burned here.

But Fire Man's an absolute joke here and probably the biggest downgrade we'll see in the NES to GB battle conversion. Not much to say other than jump, fire, repeat. This silly battle deserves a silly ending, and that's why we'll show off the password screen both correctly and incorrectly so you can hear some music. That all lets me be me, and I like that. Thanks!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Wily Base - Enker

Okay. We're on to the final stages here, and this one can be a doozy at times. The traps are deadly, the enemy placement is as annoying as ever, and some new threats show up out of the blue to wreak havoc on the Blue Bomber. Kind of tough to get through this unscathed, and we don't, but it was close. Helps to let Rolling Cutter and Carry, well, carry the workload for you!

Then what appear to be the refights that aren't actually refights at all happen and make sure that we're going to get hit more here than we did in the previous four stages combined, but it's okay. Also, we get one extra boss fight on top of that, and he could be the hardest of the bunch. Enker's movements are hard to get around in these confined quarters, but I think we did a good job doing that after an initial error.

Next time is the final time. Yes, already.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Final Stage - Wily Machine I & Ending

Wily Station is the final level in this very short adventure for the Blue Bomber, but it throws a ton of trouble our hero's way from the moment you teleport in. Honestly, I think it's one of those stages that mixes in cheap and actual difficulty, but it still isn't as rough as the previous stage thanks to having a lot more tools to work with. Put those together throughout, and you'll get through this last level soon enough.

As for Wily himself, he can't stand the heat or looking at himself in the mirror apparently because Atomic Fire and the Mirror Buster are going to make very quick work of him. That said, I'll give him credit for doing something nothing else in the stage could. Ah, we were so close. Oh well. It was a good run, and now it's done. Mega Man 3's next, but that'll be next year. For now, it's time for some rest. Peace!
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep. (Currently: Mega Man 3)

Post by Bean »

(1) Top Man

This one's officially going live for everyone on the anniversary (July 18th), but there's no reason I can't put them up here while slowly getting everything together in the meantime. Unlike the previous three playthroughs, this series had stage voting, so the order was determined by all of you! Thankfully, a pretty simple stage hit the top spot, and it's arguably the best place to start in the game in general!

We get to show off Mega's new move and puppy pal before sliding on through a level that tries to top itself with crazy-looking gimmicks. This one's probably the most out there title of the mainline Mega Mans, but that just makes it kind of neat in my opinion. Probably helps that it doesn't just do the traditional here's your elemental bots mixed with a couple outliers deal like all the others do. Could do without some inputs being canceled due to lag, and I'm looking at the yarn balls in this stage, but whatever. It's Mega Man 3, and it's finally time to get this one rolling. Or rocking, really.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Gemini Man

The name kind of gives it away, but it's no surprise that trouble comes in pairs in this one. Whether it's by land and air or air and sea, you'll have to keep your attention on both places to avoid being picked off. Even the two miniboss fights have you focusing on crowd control before jumping up to hit the weak points. Gemini Man is yet another extension of the two-in-one deal where you'll have to get into a rhythm in the first half only to switch up to a different one in the second as he's the first boss in the series with two distinct attack patterns. That said, it's not the hardest fight as long as you don't set yourself up for a laser to the face, so don't do that!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Shadow Man

Not a surprise to see a lot of surprises in a stage ran by a ninja, but here we are. This is one of the more difficult levels in the game thanks to the layout as it loves its ambushes. In the early going, they'll just deal damage. Later on, a single hit can be lethal if you aren't prepared for it. And then, after an entire level which gets you in the mindset of sudden strikes, you get a swift shinobi that takes it to the next level. You are not faster than this bot, so it's going to come down to some very quick tells that your eyes will have to adjust to... fitting since the level put you in the dark at times. It's that slight delay on the star tosses that usually gets me, and it got me a lot before we finally made that ninja vanish today.

Oh, and this isn't even the hardest one of the eight to face for me. Yeah, we'll point out who that one is when we get there.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Snake Man

Man, this place has such a catchy tune and a great look going for it. I mean, you're climbing up the body of a giant mechanical snake that's coiled itself around towers in the sky. That's just old-school video game imagination, yo. The level itself has smaller and big snakes taking quick potshots at Mega while other pests try to hop or drop in on him until you make it to the clouds. There, missiles will try to smack you into a pit while the cloud lifts that we thought are on our side can do the same if you're caught flatfooted.

For a change of pace, the idea is to race ahead of Snake Man to the middle of the room to avoid getting struck by him or one of his sneaky snakes. Once you have, this fight is pretty much an afterthought. That's good because next time, which will probably be near the end of the week as I've finished this first batch of early vids, will be anything but.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Needle Man

It's a level that took too long to complete and a video that took too long to fully edit together, but here it is, one of the roughest runs I've ever gone through. I'll get right to the point, it's Needle Man that's the issue. Oh, the stage has a few setups that are kind of tough, but it all comes down to if you can predict just when and where that dude is going to hop and start chucking his needles at you while also being able to dodge them. It's still a fair fight, but it is a frustratingly hard one when you get so close only to come up short and have to replay a three-minute stage to get back to him. And as shown at the end, we did come up short here. A lot.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Bean wrote: 2 years ago (5) Needle Man

I'll get right to the point
:)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Magnet Man

After spending five hours on our last stage, this one took all of fifteen minutes. It almost was a one-and-done run, but a dude that's only in one place in the level got me. Seriously, this is probably the easiest actual stage in the whole game. The disappearing block sets are on the simpler side, the super magnets are only in dangerous spots a couple of times, and outside of a few projectiles, most of the enemies here do nothing. Magnet Man himself isn't that tough either as his missiles, hops, and attractive personality are easily avoided. Nah, this wasn't exactly the hardest of stages. That's next time!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Hard Man

Here's a level that I wouldn't exactly classify as hard, but it still has a lot of tricky bits to it. The bees that fly in from above, the monkeys in the middle, and the pipes that want to snap a good run if you stop for even a second. It also has a tricky fight with that mysterious machine again if you don't know what you're doing and concludes with a boss battle where you'll have to do a little back and forth over some rocket-powered punches. It's the little things, but when they add up throughout, yeah. This one can be tricky. Good thing there's a trick to make that one easy, but that's for the bonus stuff. First time around, we're doing things the hard way. And that was a title drop.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Spark Man

I wouldn't say we've saved the best for last, but we have saved the fastest paced stage for last, so that's almost like it's the same thing. You don't need to let sparks fly when you can fly through the majority of this one at a decent clip yourself. It's certainly not the easiest stage thanks to a few tough spots, but it's one of those levels that when you get into a good rhythm, it'll be over before you know it. Also, Spark Man himself might be a tough customer to get around, but it's another of those fights where you take a licking and keep on kicking bot because the damage just doesn't add up fast enough. That works for me. Well, not really. We're trying not to take any hits. So far, so good!

Oh, and this may come as a shock to all of you, but beating all eight bots really isn't the end of the game like I said at the end of the last vid. Hmm.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Doc Gemini - Flash & Bubble Man

After learning the ancient art of editing videos in order again, we're back. The Doc Robot stages are basically remixes of levels we've already been to except that they're made more dangerous. In this case, it's because of the lack of ground on the surface of this satellite planet thingy. Makes it way more difficult to avoid those fire pillars that drop on in. Found that to be the hardest screen in the whole level as a result, but there are a couple of other surprises here.

Those surprises would be the Doc Robot battles themselves as they take MM2 bosses and make them a little faster and a lot harder to get around due to Doc's size. As I quickly learned, jumping around Flash Man is not exactly easy at times. Plus, when he freezes time, you want to get pretty close to not be hit with his spread shot. Bubble's shots are also faster, but we lucked out on this occasion. At the very end of the vid, you'll see one run that did not end so well. Bubble Man? No, no. That one was all on me.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Doc Shadow - Wood & Heat Man

Well, this stage loved its darkness gimmick so much the first time around that they brought it back while adding in a new hazard in the platforms that open up right away to try and drop you in a pit. Most people will just use Rush Jet, but I've got to pretend to know what I'm doing during these, so we'll take it on without him. The last part with the fearsome frogs is a little tricky, but we have our not so secret weapon to use. Give it a spin! Honestly, this is a pretty safe level overall outside of a few jumps.

Shame those jumps are all during the bosses. Getting over the larger Leaf Shield and around that first fling of flames in our two Doc Robot fights today is not exactly fun. Definitely had more trouble with the former as the window to clear those leaves is smaller than it ever was now. Both battles aren't the worst with weaknesses, but the first should be dealt with fast while the second is easier to take on without his weaknesses. Even worse that Heat's real one is something we can't use without taking damage unless it's the last hit. It's a fun stage, though, and probably the easiest of the four Doc ones overall.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) Doc Needle - Air & Crash Man

Another Doc Robot stage, another one that gives me a certain trouble spot. In this case, the first was with Air Man's fight for one of his tornado patterns that is ridiculously tight to sneak past. Never quite figured that one out even after having a post-clear save down to try, try again. The other spot was the flight across the night just because it's trying to be in the right spot to avoid all the bugs and ninja dropping in while also making sure to keep Rush Jet replenished. Pretty sure as a kid that this part was my stopping point because it was impossible. Well, it sure is possible, but it's still a little tricky. At least the rest of the run was smooth sailing. Next!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Doc Spark - Metal & Quick Man

Well, this one's going to be a real pain, and it's all because of one enemy at the very end. To get to Doc Quick, we've got to go through a rather fast-paced factory that somehow manages to mostly be easier than our initial visit here. Honestly, aside from the spiky chute, this one just doesn't have the same spark of difficulty to it. That's fine by me because Quick Man remains the absolute least fun bot to duel now in back-to-back games. It's tough enough to keep up with his hopping around all over the place, but the fact he can still chuck those boomerangs out early is the real frustrating factor to this fight. Even with his weakness, this one took us over a couple hours to get by.

Oy, I could use a break, but nope. We're going to do a personal challenge before that. Have you ever tried dueling the Doc bots without special weapons? That sounds like a rough time. We're totally going to do that next time, and yes, we're still going to try and not get hit there then. Oh boy...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(Bonus) Doc Robot Battles - Buster Only, No Damage

Okay, we're nuts. This personal challenge vid is both in HD and 60 FPS yet has no commentary. Let's go!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(13) Break Man

His look is different, and his shots are larger, but this battle with Break Man is the same as ever. Well, there is one difference. He actually has less hit points here than in other fights. Good thing that all is meant to serve as a distraction for the real mastermind behind this mess. Wait, what? Oh no!