(shouting)

The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep. (Currently: Mega Man III DOS)

Post by Bean »

(2) Blade Man

Today's opponent is not to be confused with the purple bot that has a triple bladed attack from Mega Man 10. Wait a second... Also, swimming!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Shark Man

Today's bot is not to be confused with the Net Navi from Battle Network 1, though this one arguably looks cooler. Also, our lone no-damage run of the game.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Torch Man

Today's challenger is not the martial artist that teaches fire safety from Mega Man 11. Also, a distinct lack of fire in general here in the sewers.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Bit Man

Today's adversary is not to be confused with one of Dr. Doppler's lackeys in Mega Man X3. Also, bottomless pits and the E-Tank enigma?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 1 year ago Today's bot is not to be confused with the Net Navi from Battle Network 1, though this one arguably looks cooler.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Wave Man

Today's test is not to be confused with the harpoon handed henchbot from Mega Man 5, although we will be cruising. Also, Wily's behind this mess again.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Mega Man III DOS (7): Final Stage - CRORQ, Dr. Wily, & Abrupt Ending Redux

Today's ending is not to be confused with the one in the original Mega Man DOS even though they're both the same. Also, this was a game.

Figured I'd put as much effort into the descriptions on here as Capcom and Hi Tech Expressions did with fine tuning what could've and should've been better if you were actually going to sell these games in stores. The original is close to being somewhat there while the sequel is just a flat-out mess. Always wanted to give these games a try and am glad I did, but it's time to move on... whenever I get back. Hopefully it won't be eleven months this time!

:mgmnds:
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep. (Currently: The Wily Wars)

Post by Bean »

(1) Mega Man 1 Robot Masters

Now that it's July, that means I'm actually wanting to play Mega Man on the channel again. This time around, it'll be fourteen videos over two parts of the same series in Mega Man: The Wily Wars! This first half will consist of replaying the remade versions of Mega Man 1 through 3. Since it is a replay and not the main half of the series, that means I actually get to try my hand at commentary for the first time on something for the channel in over five years! There are enough differences between the NES and Genesis versions that I think it's worth a look back before we get to the main feature of this game.

And in true timely Bean fashion, the gameplay for this series was recorded back in February... 2022. Whoops! This series will officially go live in mid-July.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Mega Man 1 Wily Stages

The first of three I wins of the replays happens here. In it, we get a good run of Wily 1, a scare to both start and end Wily 2, the free pass that is Wily 3, and learn that spikes don't work the same way they do in the Genesis version of MM1 compared to the NES run. That's pretty good since I didn't want to have to replay the replay again. Whew! Also featuring Dr. Light and Roll's amazing sprites at the end.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Mega Man 2 Robot Masters

If you've ever played Mega Man 2, you have indeed played Mega Man 2. That means a bunch of neat weapons, great music, cool-looking bots, and a few design decisions that always make me wish I was playing 3 or 4 instead. It's a good game, but it has some flaws! The Genesis edition of MM2 will hold true to those facts all the way through for better or worse, but did you really have to beef up Quick Man's defenses? Okay, I guess you did. Neat...

Both parts of this run were an adventure to record, so we'll more or less poke fun of both the game and our own playing as we go along. See you there!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 9 months ago The Genesis edition of MM2 will hold true to those facts all the way through for better or worse, but did you really have to beef up Quick Man's defenses? Okay, I guess you did. Neat...
minakuchi quality (i still like game boy 4 and 5. Not 3 and 1, haven't played x3 in a while)
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mega Man 1 (Silent Version)

X3's good enough, just not as good as the first two. I think Minakuchi did a good job with how often they were contracted by Capcom for these games. Then again, I think MMIII's okay, just not anywhere near the level of IV and V. One day we'll get to those! Also, that post of yours gives me an excuse to post the silent version of the Mega Man 1 run that I forgot to put in the second post, so thanks.

So yeah, here are the two MM1 vids combined into one video with my commentary taken out and the game sound playing through. There aren't any text boxes for these either as it's already enough work doing a version with and without talking. The text boxes will be used for the Wily Tower half (quarter?) of the series. Next vid with me talking though should be up tomorrow!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Mega Man 2 Wily Stages

You ever get to a part of the late game and think that things aren't as fun as they were to get to that point? That's how this fortress always felt to me, especially the back end where the bosses aren't all that fun to fight. Since we're still trying to get that one no-damage stage clear, this one was an adventure. Mentioned in very early in the vid, but not getting it in the first half was something that I knew would loom large and did as we tried to finally get things done right in this part. Yeah, two hours spent making a twenty-minute gameplay run. Let's get this one taken care of, all!

Mega Man 2 (Silent Version)

And here's the combined two-part run in one vid with no commentary for those that prefer that!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 9 months ago X3's good enough, just not as good as the first two. I think Minakuchi did a good job with how often they were contracted by Capcom for these games. Then again, I think MMIII's okay, just not anywhere near the level of IV and V. One day we'll get to those! Also, that post of yours gives me an excuse to post the silent version of the Mega Man 1 run that I forgot to put in the second post, so thanks.
You're welcome brutha -Hulk Hogan

Anyway I seem to remember X2 and X3 being okay, X2's biggest problem being like the way the helmet upgrade was integrated into the game and I'm also just terrible at dealing with subbosses in MMX (mostly the X Hunters and Bit+Byte). My biggest problem with III is that, it's too hard, but I was also like 13 when I last played it so who knows, I'll give it another go eventually.

A friend of mine from SMWC who I haven't spoken to in ages suspects Minakuchi also did MM7 due to it being very GB-inspired, but I kinda doubt it. I think the fucked up proportions was just Capcom wanting to make Mega Man that much anime-er so they gave everything fucked up giant sprites, which I super dig and love despite it causing a fuckton of bad Mega Man Sprite Comics to show up (not to be confused with megaman sprite comic, which is good and uses sprites from real megaman games).

I do know Minakuchi was once handling the MegaDrive port of Street Fighter II before Capcom was displeased with their job and made it in-house, I think a prototype of it is available, but I'm not sure.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

III's still hard, not cheap, just really hard with some of those jumps. IV and V are on another level of quality though. Two of my favorite non-Nintendo GB games, that's for sure. And yeah, that's basically the story of Minakuchi. They were best on the Game Boy and never really hit that level of quality elsewhere. They might have been brought in for MM7, but no, I don't know for sure. It'd make sense as that game was made in three months and definitely has that MMIV & MMV structure to it. Eh, who knows? Not me!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 9 months ago It'd make sense as [MM7] was made in three months and definitely has that MMIV & MMV structure to it. Eh, who knows? Not me!
holy shit, that's probably the best game i've ever played that took three months to make that also wasn't just a gamejam or super amateur thing someone did for funsies. i might have forgot about that fact but holy shit. sonic 2 moment
Bean wrote: 9 months ago Two of my favorite non-Nintendo GB games, that's for sure.
I need to explore the GB library more, if the NES has taught me anything, is that ancient shovelware magnets have some insane shit hidden amongst the dreck. Though the Game Boy has a lot of so-so action puzzle games.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Mega Man 3 Robot Masters

My favorite game of the original trilogy on the NES remains my favorite game of the original trilogy on the Genesis. The biggest changes in this one is to Mega's tool set. One weapon was really nerfed, Rush Marine was somehow made worse, but forget all that. They fixed Top Spin. It is, by far and away, going to have its finest hour during this run. If that isn't something worth watching, I don't know what it is. What it is here is Mega Man 3, so let's spin to win!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Mega Man 3 Doc Robot Stages & Break Man

Even when you're replaying Mega Man 3, you can't escape replaying Mega Man 2 again... again. The third time will not be the charm for these bots since with the switch to The Wily Wars engine, these eight all fight the exact way they did in the previous game. The only difference here will be in our weapons and which ones work well and which ones are Magnet Missile. After that, a little breather before the big breather that will be the fortress that never stood a chance in our final vid of this first half of the series. See you there next time!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 8 months ago They fixed Top Spin.
holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
Bean wrote: 8 months ago See you there next time!
i wanna make a reference to the really poorly acted 90s portuguese dragon ball z dub here (the voice actors are lovely people though, very friendly) but i don't think anyone here would get it outside of nast or petzi but they don't post much

surprisingly iconic dub here for fucking dragon balls zed of all things

god speed in finishing mm3 on the メガドラ, i dont like mm3, but i acknowledge its massive potential that it could get with like an asm hack that amends a bunch of bugs and messy feeling stuff, it's probably the biggest nes megas men. 4 is my wife though.

also gamma and doc robot are just adorable, i'd give em a hug (fuck the doc robot stages)
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Mega Man 3 Wily Stages

The road to victory will be an easy one when you realize just how barren this fortress is. Look, if you don't have time to build a sinister structure, create Doc Robot stages. That's what I never say, but that's what Dr. Wily did, and doggone it. The dude tried. It just didn't work out for him, meaning his plans were trashed just like he was at the end yet again. But wait, what if I said we're not done yet? Well, that's because there's a fourth and final game that unlocks after you beat MM1-MM3 in The Wily Wars, and that's the mode we'll be taking a look at in the second half of our series here. Peace!

Mega Man 3 (Silent Version)

And those three videos of gameplay combined into one without commentary if you'd rather hear the music instead of my southern Midwesetern accent.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(1) Intro - On the Warpath
(2) Buster Rod G

When I let this go live next week, it'll be a double feature spread about by a handful of hours. It's a good thing it is since the shorter first vid doesn't have a second of in-stage action in it. It's only meant to set things up as that intro was running too long for me to enjoy the idea of tacking on a level to it.

The second vid is where the second half of this series officially kicks off. Here, we get to see Buster and his comrades combine enemies and stage ideas from Mega's first three adventures and remix them into potentially more dangerous scenarios. As you have to go through all three replay runs to get to this point, weapons are a go here, and we are going to a go with them all right. It's a new editing format for me, but I finally stopped monkeying around with the setup and just went for it. Hopefully you all like it!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Hyper Storm H

I don't know what it is about these rocky cavern levels and just sort of being there and being simple on top of it, but we've got another one here today with Hyper Storm H, the hog that's large and in charge of the place. He's decided to throw down a bunch of Hammer Joes that give way to cannons and other obstacles that pose little threat. In fact, it's really the foreground and background blending together that causes most of the trouble here. Our boss is equally on the easy side other than the miniscule Mets that will rain down on players that aren't paying attention. We were, so next and definitely last!

Yes.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

hyper storm h is so cute
Bean wrote: 8 months ago I don't know what it is about these rocky cavern levels and just sort of being there and being simple on top of it
mario suffers from this same issue and i dont know why, so many cave levels are just bland and boring, and the fan output isn't much better. it says a lot that one of my favorite mario cave levels is like literally aim for the heavens from vip4. only in concept though. the world tree yggdrasil is a very good concept for like almost anything

worldpeace's cave levels are also a very specific vibe. he gets semi-vanilla cave level aesthetics and general vibes just right. i hope he's doing okay, where ever he is (probably in the military, since s. korea)

all of the dream / how does it mean
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Mega Water S

Time to put a kappa on the Genesis Unit with the brains of the operation stepping up to the plate. While some setups remain lacking, this dive does have more danger to it than the previous pair of levels did. Still don't think the waters are that rough, but it won't be smooth sailing, mainly because it's tough to sail when you're underwater and without a boat. As for our boss, his idea of keeping us at a distance isn't the best idea in the world when he's not exactly a marksman with that spear gun. Even then, you do want to get up close and personal to send this spirit away.

With that, we see the game is not over yet because Dr. Wily does sort of have a tower to go through in this mode called Wily Tower. They remembered!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Wily Tower 1 - Fire Snakey

Time to start tackling this tower, and we're under fire pretty much from the get go, both figuratively and eventually literally. It's got some decent ideas going for it, although I'm a bit torn on the whole mixing and matching of enemies and gimmicks giving way to how this fortress does things. Case in point, the first Wily Tower stages only has enemies from the first Mega Man. Expect similar showcases for the second and third stages to their corresponding games. At least these levels do have interesting split paths, and that means more stuff to show off.

Our boss has the strategy of firing first and never asking questions, but it's also graduated from the same school of marksmanship Mega Water S did by having not so great accuracy if you know where to stand. As things stand here, I think we have more than enough tools at our disposal to cool this flame-broiled fiend off. And yeah, we sure did. On we go!