(shouting)

The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep.

Post by Bean »

Did you know that Mega Man is called Rockman in Japan and that there are a ton of games in this series that started way back around the end of 1987? Well, you should if you watched raocow's vids on it which you hopefully have. Did you also know that for all the years the series has been around, I haven't done official playthroughs of the NES titles on the channel? Let's change that and maybe go do some others along the way if life allows it. Don't know how long this will go, but I want to play stuff for the internet again. It's fun. And of course, as always... Yep.

Full Playlist

Mega Man
(1) Cut Man
(2) Guts Man
(3) Ice Man
(4) Bomb Man
(5) Fire Man
(6) Elec Man
(7) Wily 1 - Yellow Devil
(8) Wily 2 - Copy Robot
(9) Wily 3 - CWU-01P
(10) Final Stage - Wily Machine #1 & Ending

Mega Man 2
(1) Quick Man
(2) Flash Man
(3) Crash Man
(4) Air Man
(5) Wood Man
(6) Heat Man
(7) Bubble Man
(8) Metal Man
(9) Wily 1 - Mecha Dragon
(10) Wily 2 - Picopico-Kun
(11) Wily 3 - Guts Tank
(12) Wily 4 - Boobeam Trap
(13) Wily 5 - Refights & Wily Machine #2
(14) Final Stage - Alien & Ending

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
(1) Cut Man
(2) Elec Man
(3) Ice Man
(4) Fire Man
(5) Wily Base - Enker
(6) Final Stage - Wily Machine I & Ending

Mega Man 3
(1) Top Man
(2) Gemini Man
(3) Shadow Man
(4) Snake Man
(5) Needle Man
(6) Magnet Man
(7) Hard Man
(8) Spark Man
(9) Doc Gemini - Flash & Bubble Man
(10) Doc Shadow - Wood & Heat Man
(11) Doc Needle - Air & Crash Man
(12) Doc Spark - Metal & Quick Man
(Bonus) Doc Robot Battles - Buster Only, No Damage
(13) Break Man
(14) Wily 1 - Kamegoro Maker
(15) Wily 2 - Yellow Devil Mk-II
(16) Wily 3 - Holograph Mega Mans
(17) Wily 4 - Refights
(18) Wily 5 - Wily Machine #3
(19) Final Stage - Gamma & Ending

Mega Man II
(1) Crash Man
(2) Metal Man
(3) Wood Man
(4) Air Man & Then...
(5) Top Man
(6) Needle Man
(7) Magnet Man
(8) Hard Man
(9) Quint
(10) Final Stage - Wily Machine II & Ending

Mega Man DOS
(1) Opening Stage - Facility Entrance
(2) Sonic Man
(3) Dyna Man
(4) Volt Man
(5) Final Stage - CRORQ, Dr. Wily, & Abrupt Ending

Mega Man III DOS
(1) Oil Man
(2) Blade Man
(3) Shark Man
(4) Torch Man
(5) Bit Man
(6) Wave Man
(7) Mega Man III DOS (7): Final Stage - CRORQ, Dr. Wily, & Abrupt Ending Redux

Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Replay Runs
(1) Mega Man 1 Robot Masters
(2) Mega Man 1 Wily Stages
(3) Mega Man 2 Robot Masters
(4) Mega Man 2 Wily Stages
(5) Mega Man 3 Robot Masters
(6) Mega Man 3 Doc Robot Stages & Break Man
(7) Mega Man 3 Wily Stages
Mega Man 1 (Silent Version)
Mega Man 2 (Silent Version)
Mega Man 3 (Silent Version)

Wily Tower
(1) Intro - On the Warpath
(2) Buster Rod G
(3) Hyper Storm H
(4) Mega Water S
(5) Wily Tower 1 - Fire Snakey
(6) Wily Tower 2 - Iron Ball
(7) Wily Tower 3 - Buster Rod G (2nd)
(8) Final Stage - Wily Machine MD & Ending
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep.

Post by Bean »

(1) Cut Man

My pick for the best place to start our series is right here. There's a lack of ways to instantly lose and what is there isn't that bad, the boss is definitely the easiest of the six, and his weapon that we win is all-around more useful than the other two decent starting stages. I mean, if I didn't start here, the whole MM1 title name deal would be thrown out the window before even getting started.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Guts Man

A lot of peeps like to rail on the rail system in this level, but compared to some remake, it's not that bad just because it's a pretty short part. Other than showing that you actually can get that extra life without a certain utility item, I don't think there are any surprises in this vid. Still wouldn't recommend it going here first over Cut Man's level for new players just because of the timing issues, but yeah. Once you get that down, Guts Man and his short stage are, too!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Ice Man

Oh man. This stage can be an absolute nightmare, and that's not even taking the ice physics into effect. It marks the debut of the disappearing blocks, it has a section where you have to rely on unreliable floating platforms that shoot at you, and throws a boss at you that can take you down from full health to gone in just three hits. Without a certain item that we don't have, it is a very rough stage. I've never cared for it, and in a no-hit run like we're trying to do here, I can say that I still don't. Oy.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Bomb Man

This level is the one that just exists to me. Cut Man's a better starting point, Guts and Ice are memorable for infamous reasons, and the two stages that are left have their own things that you'll remember. This level is the one that introduces Sniper Joes to the series, so you know it never stood a chance. If it wasn't for that part with the spikes and the Flying Shells near the end, I'd say to start here. And it's not like Bomb Man's that bad either since both ways he can hit you only takes off four bars of health. Yes, this was a stage in this game, all right.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Oh hey, are you redoing your playthroughs because of "annotationgeddon"?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Believe it or not, I've never done an official playthrough of Mega Man 1-6 on the channel, but yeah, I would like to redo the Game Boy ones if I get the chance. The annotations being gutted and my not so good recording choices led to those projects looking dated even before they took that feature away.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Fire Man

Fire Man's stage has us appropriately under fire from start to finish, figuratively and literally. It starts off easy enough, but by the time you're running around this furnace's basement, things really heat up with all the pillars and falling fireballs to dodge. It only gets worse on the next screen when you're asked to do a pair of dodges that give you only a tenth of a second to accurately avoid the flame chutes if you don't have a certain item. With our order, we don't have that item yet. Oy. Boss is also complicated in a no-hit sense, but you can douse this Fire with one of two strategies. I prefer the one that keeps us moving. On to the last boss, the toughest one of the six according to a lot of others!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Elec Man

The stage itself isn't a problem unless you take one of the harder split paths, so let's do that. The boss himself is supposed to be a problem unless you know a strategy that lets you win without him firing a single shot, so let's do that, too. Look, there are some times where you can Fireman a boss and other times where you should fight the boss like you're facing Fire Man, especially when you're trying not to get hit. Don't worry, we'll see Elec Man's pattern more in depth in another video. Promise!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Wily 1 - Yellow Devil

It's the first of many, many Wily stages throughout the series and the first of not as many but more than enough encounters with a certain machine type that will win your heart over with its bumo and crush it over and over again with its tedium. I always liked this first stage even though it's still rough around the edges. It throws a lot of challenge at you while making sure you use Mega's special weapons at certain points. Always interesting to see how the level design here feels so little like what we'd see from future sequels.

Anyway, let's dodge the big ol' blob boy a bunch and send some shocks to its system and cap things off after that by showing off the old trick that you're only going to get to pull off in this original entry. Go for it if you want. It's not cheating if you use it against the AI, you know.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Wily 2 - Copy Robot

The second Wily stage is pretty fun overall. You get a couple of outdoor sections with things trying to knock you into pits and the indoor areas are either restored Robot Masters or the climb down to our big boss of the level who looks a little familiar. Yeah, Mega faces himself and all the weapons he's won if you switch to them. Fighting fire with fire actually works best in this battle, but you can definitely have a little fun if you pick a couple of them. Yeah, we're going to do that here. Ha. It's a fun boss that's a bigger thief than you realize since Mega's not the only bot of Dr. Light's that this one has stolen ideas from.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Wily 3 - CWU-01P

The shortest stage in the game is also the easiest when you see there aren't any pits, spikes, or even enemy layouts that could give you trouble. It's so easy that we went for a pacifist run, the lone one I think I'd even try in a stage that has more than a boss to it... not that this one has that much else.

CWU itself is either a very fast fight with weapons or the worst thing to deal with in this game if trying to do a buster only no-hit clear. To pad the vid length, we show both. Did not enjoy the luck-based battle very much here, but it's done, and the main run will be next time, too!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Final Stage - Wily Machine #1 & Ending

Uploaded this one last night and passed out almost right after, let's get to our conclusion here! Mega Man's got to go through a few series of arm cannon fodder and one tough jump before reaching the rest of the refights, and eventually, Dr. Wily himself. It's not a long stage, but asking to do five boss fights all in a row might be a little more than some players are ready for since there's no way to restore your health once that last gauntlet gets going.

The Wily Machine is actually pretty simple once you get into a good rhythm. The first phase falls to Fire Storm in seconds if you choose to play it close while the second is a matter of going in to dodge and going back out to attack and repeating after that. It's at least a very fair fight and a nice note to end an inconsistent but fun game on. Personally would put this one in the middle of the pack since it is the first game in the series, and even if things would get refined better as the series goes on, there are still elements of a good game in here even if it isn't always that way.
Bean
Yep.

Re: The Mega Man Playthrough Topic. Yep. (Currently: Mega Man 2)

Post by Bean »

(1) Quick Man

Hey. This one's going up here a couple weeks before I go live with it because I want to get this thing going again. Mega Man 2 isn't exactly the easiest game to try a no-hit run on, but I'm feeling the need to do it for the NES games here for some reason. Might as well get started!

Quick Man's our first challenger, and his stage quickly becomes one of memorization since the lasers are your main and arguably only obstacle stopping you from reaching the shutter intact. Problem is that the hardest part of the level is the Quick Man fight itself thanks to a very unfortunate design flaw that got through. Dr. Wily was doing glitched up speed traps years before Eggman started, gang. Give him a hand! Oh, and unlike the first game's pick, this opener is a terrible choice for inexperienced players to start with. Don't do that.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Flash Man

This stage is basically your ice level for the game, and that would be bad except for the fact that the enemy placement mostly works in your favor. Even better, if you know where you're going and what to do, only two of them have a legitimate shot of landing a hit on you. Again, not the best place for a start, but it's certainly a good second or middle pick because it's really not that bad.

As for the boss, he's easily damage raced. In this no-damage run, it takes either a little more finesse or precision at a fast pace to make sure you aren't hit by one of Flash Man's stray bullets when he stops time. Again, not a tough stage or boss, and it was a nice reprieve after that anything but quick start I had in the opener.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Crash Man

Time to move on up in a big way today because Mega's got himself one of the largest vertical levels he'll ever go through. Along the way, he'll run into Tellies, a rail system, Mets that can move, and a freaking avian enemy that absolutely wants to ruin his day. Yeah, this stage goes to the birds in the ladder or latter part of this climb. Even though we have one of two ways to make this easier on us, I decided to tough it out and make one very annoying ladder transfer count here.

For all the trouble it is to get to the top, it's kind of surprising that Crash Man isn't much of a problem if you know how to play it. He hops around like Bomb Man but is best treated like Fire Man in the sense that you should only be sending out a single shot at any given time. Lead him around, and you'll find yourself realizing it's the stage where the run's most likely to blow up in your face. Yeah, Crash, you're a dud in the difficulty department, but your level's kind of fun!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Air Man

For a stage set in the sky and filled with bottomless pits, this one's actually pretty simple both in terms of a normal run and this no-hit one. Outside the sections with the birds, you can take the level at a slow and steady pace, and as long as your aim's true, there's not going to be much stopping you on the way to the shutter.

On the other hand, Air Man is definitely a problem if you're trying to avoid all of his attack patterns because two of the five are very tough to get by without a scratch. First failure was a bird near the shutter, second was a rushed jump that I missed into a pit. Every other failure were because of those dang tornadoes, and even in the winning run, I can confidentially say that I had no confidence at dodging those formations. The extras show them off in slow motion and normal speeds so you all can see just how precise your platforming skills need to be then. Next.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Wood Man

This stage is pretty fun. You have an assortment of animals that are spread out through a pretty varied stage in terms of both play style and visuals, and they're all pretty fun to deal with other than the third straight level of having to deal with the birds. It's also got our first mini-boss fight of the franchise, an energetic song, and honestly is a pretty fun romp from start to finish! So what's the problem?

Well, it's the shielded stump that caps our night in the woods here. You don't get a ton of time to blast Wood Man up when he throws that shield as you'll also have to jump up to avoid the leaves falling in from above. It's a pat your head, rub your stomach kind of fight expect you're just dealing with leaves all over the place while trying to shoot a stump instead. Worse, there's another instance of tight timing on one toss that forces us to get over the shield and then under and past Wood Man before he lands. After thirty years, it's still tough to get right.

And people razz on Toad or Spring Man, but we're fighting a dude in a tree stump costume that uses leaves for his attacks. Leaves! How can something so non-threatening be so annoying to fight? Freaking maple-syrup sucking sack of sap...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Heat Man

Whoa. Vids two days in a row? It's almost like we're taking this editing thing seriously again! It also helps that we were editing at the same time as the last one, and this stage also wound up being the fastest of the eight to do in the whole game. It's mainly because the only tricky part of the level is memorizing the long disappearing block formation near the shutter. Two of the three instances where a brick pops in overhead are before the safety net goes away, but that last one is such a cheap move. It was the main cause of what few failures there were.

Heat Man's really simple if you can get past his first attack. Just wait until you have your chance to clear a pillar and flame spurt at once, and you've pretty much got it won. You'd better believe I watched a video to make sure I knew exactly what to do before taking him on. It paid off since our first encounter was the only one. Why couldn't all of these recording sessions been like that?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Bubble Man

This was a tough video to edit, and it wasn't all that easy to play through either! There are so many little things in this level that can make things go wrong in a hurry. The teeny frogs, the falling blocks, but it's the shrimp that are the worst. Unlike most Mega Man enemies, these guys will swim at you whenever they want from wherever they want, and they can be tough to deal with while shooting that stationary target.

Bubble Man certainly popped in and surprised me with yet another bout that requires precision, but it's thankfully of the fair kind. Still, getting around those spears and back down to not be blasted by a bubble took a bit of practice. Just goes to show you the difference between a no-fail run and a no-hit one. Boy, I'm not looking forward to some later stages... is what I'd say if the next vid wasn't the last one! Yep. Totally the last.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Metal Man

Our final stage of the eight is the one you all should be doing first or second if you really want Item 2, but yeah, Metal Man's stage is more filled with annoyances than trouble. In a no-hit run, the worst stuff is right in the opening minute with the Presses and Moles, but the rest of the stage is surprisingly tame. Also, why are there mimes in this factory? I never really understood that, but with the way you can clown on Metal Man once you get his pattern down, maybe this makes sense after all!

Anyhoo, there are two parts to the extras in this one since the game doesn't take you back to the stage select screen after beating your last bot. Well, that's no good, so let's belt out a little more info before we set the stage for the final stages that begin next time!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Wily 1 - Mecha Dragon

Time to take on Wily's first actual fortress as he's upgraded from a manufacturing plant to a creepy-looking castle! The stage has a pretty simple layout to it with most of the trouble being there to whittle down your health as you go. Metal Blade will see to it that this won't be happening, but you do need to be careful when you finally enter the fortress proper as there's a certain dragon there that will generally one-shot you if you get caught flat-footed. Don't do that. Anyway, it's easy enough to blaze a trail past this dragon's lair. Ten minutes. That'll probably be the record with what's coming up later on. Yeah...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Wily 2 - Picopico-Kun

This stage wants you to go, go, go, but you're constantly forced to stop all throughout and wait for that opportunity. Don't mind this style of gameplay, but I could do without the enemy types they bring to the party, especially that long tunnel of Moles. The boss is an interesting battle that becomes a funny one once you learn how you can masterfully move around its lone method of attack. Another short recording session. I'll take those wherever I can get them at this point!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) Wily 3 - Guts Tank

This stage has six enemies and a bunch of spikes before the shutter. As a result, the majority of this one is an afterthought with only a couple of poorly-placed cannons being a threat just because they fire before you can even fully see them. Psychics out there, this is the stage for you. Personally think it's one of the most boring fortress stages in the series because at least MM1 threw in a good mix of enemies to start its third fortress stage. At least the Guts Tank is a fun fight whether you decide to tread carefully or roll over the thing.

And yeah, both of those puns were used in the vid. Look, if the game's not going to put in the best of efforts today, I ain't either. Next! ...Oh.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Wily 4 - Boobeam Trap

You know you're in for a rough ride when this stage went better than expected but still took a couple of hours to get a no-hit run in. Oh man, this boss is infamous for the fact that it's the first time in the series where Mega's arm cannon doesn't work and you're forced to use special weapons. Actually, just a special weapon, and that's Crash Bomber. Five turrets, a few walls in the way, and seven shots. You miss or run out, and you will be kicking yourself as there's no other way to win this battle. I can't stand the fight, but the level wasn't as rough as I recalled. Guess it all evens out in the end other than thinking that this is still the absolute worst boss battle of the NES Mega Man games. Yep.