(shouting)

Kirby 64 - Ribbon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Kirby 64 - Ribbon

Post by Kleetus »

"What? Kirby owns a cellphone? That's ridiculous; that's so dumb!"
You laugh now raocow, but Kirby owning a cellphone becomes a major game play mechanic latter on (specifically in Amazing Mirror).

I think 0^2 is the one thing everyone knows about this game; it was certainly one of the first things I ever heard of K64. It's such a weird, not Kirby, what is this? thing? I don't know.
The best part isthat after bosses like 0^2 resulted in jokes that Kirby games are about horrible nightmare malice creatures from beyond the stars sowing the seeds of existential doom, HAL was like "Screw it. Kirby games actually are about horrible nightmare malice creatures from beyond the stars sowing the seeds of existential doom". Nowadays funny cartoon creature final bosses are the exception not the norm, and the games give off low key cosmic horror vibes.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

They also kind of ran with "these are evangelion angels". I don't know if it was intentional for Zero and Zero2, but by the time you get to Star Allies you are straight up fighting Sachiel.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

isn't the only kirby game with a final boss that isn't a space horror the very first dreamland

like sure nightmare is pretty tame compared to dark matter's various forms and drawcia soul and the like, but he's still some dark, out-of-place looking entity that comes out of nowhere and only wishes malice on everyone

it really isn't something new, nor was it ever a joke - it's just An Actual Thing this series does
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago They also kind of ran with "these are evangelion angels". I don't know if it was intentional for Zero and Zero2, but by the time you get to Star Allies you are straight up fighting Sachiel.
Ramiel was already a boss in this game.
ImageImage
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago isn't the only kirby game with a final boss that isn't a space horror the very first dreamland

like sure nightmare is pretty tame compared to dark matter's various forms and drawcia soul and the like, but he's still some dark, out-of-place looking entity that comes out of nowhere and only wishes malice on everyone

it really isn't something new, nor was it ever a joke - it's just An Actual Thing this series does
Depending on your definition of space horror, Triple Deluxe's final boss is
just an evil bee.
There's also Epic Yarn's Yin-Yarn, who is just a jerk wizard.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Honestly, gonna throw some shade on all this.

Arguing that all the Kirby final bosses are these space eldritches is a bigger stretch than Goatse. (Also: Eva angels? Where are you getting your acid from, I need to spike Jim Cramer's drink) I looked at all of them just now, and while a lot of them are weird...I wouldn't call them horrors. They're missing one factor: Creepy.

Dark Matter, Zero, and 02? They're all creepy.

I think the only two final bosses that come close to them are Dark Nebula and Void Termina. The latter has a very...what was that dark and creepy magical girl anime that was a big deal because it was dark and creepy? It's like the monsters in that one. Also, it basically becomes Dark Matter at the end of the fight. The other, the eye is what makes it creepy.

And the creepyness prevades throughout the three games. I think Dedede has a super creepy transformation in DL2 (being possessed by Dark Matter), Waddle Dee's transformation into Waddle Doo in this game is kind of horrifying (I mean...his entire face turned into an eyeball), and Gooey in DL3 was always kind of...unsettling, though in an unintentional way.

I would go so far to suggest it's this creepy factor, more than anything else, is what's caused the so-called "Dark Matter trilogy" to be marginalized in the Kirby canon. Kirby gets dark, but it doesn't get creepy dark in other games except those three.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago The latter has a very...what was that dark and creepy magical girl anime that was a big deal because it was dark and creepy? It's like the monsters in that one.
You're probably thinking of Madoka (which is an amusing comparison given how many people joked about how the Fairy Queen is just Homura).

Anyway Kirby 64 is cute as shit and worth everyone's time playing the end

Thank You For Play
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ledgem
Bearer of the word Night
First name: Whimsikarren

Post by Ledgem »

Man I am sad to see this end. Thank you for this, raocow.

I would like to share a story about this game as it is wrapping up. When I played this as a child I had not really gotten "100%" in any game before, or really thought to do so. There were crystal shards missed. When I got to the ending, I always thought it was weird that the queen was all sinister. I was confused, weirded out, and intrigued. What was going on? But I never thought to dig for all the shards; that was a really daunting task to 10 year old me!

But the mini games kept me playing it with my sister and my bff at the time. We played so much, and occasionally just replayed the game to collect cards; my bff did that a lot in fact.

Then he got the 02 card. We stared at it in bewilderment. There was a secret boss in the game we never fought

That's when we went for full completion and the boss was terrifying and blew my mind. what about the other kirby games? other videogames at all?

That's what led me to getting all the bonus coins in DKC2 and getting the best endings from the other dreamland 2 and 3 and it changed gaming forever. Kirby 64 will always be one of my favourite games for this reason.
I should draw a signature if I'm gonna actually post here...
Leet

Post by Leet »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago(Also: Eva angels? Where are you getting your acid from, I need to spike Jim Cramer's drink)
Probably relevant that KDL3 and 64 came out right in that time when Eva had been influencing Everything Ever in japan https://twitter.com/dreamsbell/status/9 ... 3528264709

youre right that the later games dont reach the wtf heights of this trilogy, but i would be hard pressed to be convinced that void termina outer isn't literally just sachiel with hair and robes. which was the key of my post so thanks for being flippant

it's also 100 percent true that none of the (primary) kirby games were ever gonna go back to dedede or some other "known"/small-time threat being the villain again. it was always gonna be some huge outside context problem, even if some were creepier than others.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Leet

Post by Leet »

wait about the Ramiel thing, the small blue ramiels that are an enemy that gives spark are literally name "Rami" in Japan. lmao

i do revise my earlier statement: zero and zero2 are absolutely deliberately eva aes.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago I looked at all of them just now, and while a lot of them are weird...I wouldn't call them horrors. They're missing one factor: Creepy.

Dark Matter, Zero, and 02? They're all creepy.
dark mind is literally zero but fiery. less subtle, sure, but we're still talking about a distressingly unstylized eyeball made of the flames of hell in a kirby game

not to mention, drawcia soul is, uh

yeah
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

That was a fun watch. raocow has just enough familiarity with the game to not get frustrated watching him play, but still had to work out all the puzzles again since they were lost to the mists of time.

I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but I always had a soft spot for Kirby 64.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Arctangent wrote:
thatguyif wrote:
Yeah, like, a lot of the series' final bosses do have similar body horror in their designs, generally for the sake of invoking Dark Matter and Zero. One could argue that maybe they don't have it to the grotesquely gory extent that Zero and 02 have, but they're still monstrosities. On the matter of whether they qualify as eldritch horrors specifically, there's certainly parallels to classic elder gods and other cosmic horror tropes to be drawn and many of them are people corrupted to an otherworldly degree or alien entities born from/embodying negative emotions/twisted desires/emptiness/etc that can't comprehend or tolerate positivity.

And that aside, there's different kinds of creepiness present as well. Some notable examples:
- The banshee screeches made by the soul forms of Marx, Drawcia and Sectonia (Marx deserves special mention because he's splitting in half when delivering his)
- The Master Crown and Star Dream overtaking their hosts and destroying said hosts' consciousnesses (though you can still hear Haltmann screaming when you destroy pieces of Star Dream's core)
- Hyness seemingly reanimating/puppeteering the corpses of the Mage-Sisters (not actually aiui, I believe they're just unconscious or hypnotized?)
- Void Termina's design and attacks implying that he is the source of many of the dangerous/malicious artifacts in the series and adding fuel to the fire of the ambiguous relationship between Kirby and Zero/Dark Matter
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kirby 64 is all right. What it loses in overall game speed and difficulty for the most part, it makes up for with its unique look and gameplay mechanic. Prefer KDL3 to this one, but yeah, Crystal Shards is a fun time.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

just a heads up that updating the crash 3 thread might be too much for me if it's up next.

you can go ahead, i just ask that someone else update it for me.

i've gotten worse in terms of health and i've

vom'd like four times in the past few days

(cw: emetophobia)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago just a heads up that updating the crash 3 thread might be too much for me if it's up next.

A Hat in Time is next, according to the 'COMING UP NEXT' thread

, so, unless you still feel ill over the next few weeks, you should be fine.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

im gonna be doing an endoscopy, blood tests and colonoscopy over this week and possibly soon (colonoscopy is unknown)

(med stuff, possibly cw) so all i can say is thank god. i hope they find the source of this because i've been sick since december. maybe previously

maintaining crash 2 was hell

happy new year sorry for bothering yall with my sick nonsense ill probs go catch up on kirby 64
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago

- The banshee screeches made by the soul forms of Marx, Drawcia and Sectonia (Marx deserves special mention because he's splitting in half when delivering his)
- The Master Crown and Star Dream overtaking their hosts and destroying said hosts' consciousnesses (though you can still hear Haltmann screaming when you destroy pieces of Star Dream's core)
- Hyness seemingly reanimating/puppeteering the corpses of the Mage-Sisters (not actually aiui, I believe they're just unconscious or hypnotized?)

This all reads like "I read too deep into this." No really, it does. Kirby is a children's game, so there shouldn't be that deep of an analysis.

- Void Termina's design and attacks implying that he is the source of many of the dangerous/malicious artifacts in the series and adding fuel to the fire of the ambiguous relationship between Kirby and Zero/Dark Matter

I made a note about Void Termina being an exception to the rule. Why don't people read posts ):

(And I removed the spoiler because these were for games that aren't going to be played anytime soon, if at all. There was no need for that)

Mod Edit: There really is a need for that in case those games are eventually played!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
churine

Post by churine »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years agonot to mention, drawcia soul is, uh
it's even less subtle with the final boss of return to dreamland who just outright has all the motifs zero 2 has
it even has the "smiling face turns into an eyeball" like come on
it even summons evil cacti as some of its attacks
there's a more melancholic and personal tone for kirby final bosses replacing the mystery of the sheer cosmic horror thing nowadays but they're still eldritch universe-eating beings made of the darkness in the soul (and nearly all of them basically reference dark matter & pals)
(and even there there is a few that just are random cosmic horrors, like Necrodeus or Dark Crafter)
thatguyif wrote: 4 years agochildren's game, so there shouldn't be that deep of an analysis.
I'm sorry but that is a pretty shallow take
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago This all reads like "I read too deep into this." No really, it does. Kirby is a children's game, so there shouldn't be that deep of an analysis.
except for the part where almost everything in that list was directly stated by in-game bios sooooooo
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

churine wrote: 4 years ago I'm sorry but that is a pretty shallow take
That is an equally shallow take. Care to explain?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (21.02 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

Thinking Bad :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

You don't have to read deep into Kirby for the eldritch horror angle. I can understand getting frustrated over people going overboard in their enthusiasm over it though.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago just a heads up that updating the crash 3 thread might be too much for me if it's up next.

you can go ahead, i just ask that someone else update it for me.
In hindsight maybe we should have had a separate thread per each Crash game, but do get better