(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Unbelievable type of a situation

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 - Welcome to Kanada!

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 4 years ago And thus we encounter the game's only crate. It doesn't do anything special, or really even seem to be intended to be used for any concrete task in particular; it is just a crate. But I think that in terms of fulfilling that function, we can all agree it did a pretty crate job.
I had no crate expectations, but they've been met!
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I think Razor Ridge is the most problematic part of this game. It's one of those rare cases where I feel the level's aesthetics cause a problem; It's so very monotone that it gets exhausting to look at, since these levels are so long. For at least three of these levels, the foreground tones and the background tones are pretty much the same. This is what I would say is the most questionable decision in this game. Also the levels don't just get really long; some of them have some jank, uninteresting or unpleasant gimmicks. DKC3 is my favorite SNES DKC game, but this world is, in my opinion, just the worst world in the trilogy.
video games
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It doesn't help that Razor Ridge has a godawful introduction because Buzzer Barrage suuuucks. raocow is obviously (especially after DKC2) very good at Squawking, but some of those squeezes are really tight and finagling the bird in between Helikopters (?) can be a bit of a nightmare.

Also, some of those fucks come completely out of nowhere and you basically always have to wait before every shaft in order to not get surprised. And don't get me started on carrying the giant-hitboxed barrels around the fucked-up hitboxed enemies. Combine all of that to a level that's way larger than is good for it, and you have a frustrating, tedious slow shitshow that kid me always knew should be easy to beat, but stood in my way for far too long. Fuck this level.

It's one of the two "normal" levels that creep in my mind when I think "oh, DKC3 isn't THAT bad now that I know [x]", the other is Barrel Drop Bounce because it is indeed a terrible, overlong slog as well, it's not difficult but jumping on those barrels, especially the four in a row, is insanely aggravating. Between a marathon of janky hitboxes and a joyless slog, my general feelings about this game are summed up quite well.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

:iris:

Yeah I don't know what went wrong when you said "I played this game too much" but I played this game a lot too and I don't complain about everything in it.

It sounds like this is the sole reason why you're so biased against the third game. Maybe if you replayed the game to the point that you milked out all the fun and got sick of it, maybe you should've... stopped and played something else?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I honestly was convinced that raocow was deliberately nearly avoiding opening up the lost world each time...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

I'm pretty sure he's keeping any serious attempts at figuring it out strictly for the postgame.
video games
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

You should go back and check on Barter and Blue again. Things change with them after the events in today's video.

You should also go back and check on Brash again because you never did <_<
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The GBA version changed Swanky's minigame, so Bleak is as far as I know the only time those mechanics are used.

Bosses that use completely different mechanics from the rest of the game are a huge pet peeve of mine, so I feel like I'd have hated that fight if I wasn't already familiar with the original.

Not that the fight is remotely difficult regardless, even to kid me, but
moogy

Post by moogy »

Shitty Squawks flying around dropping barrels on shit has got to be the worst level concept possible, levels like this are why I have such bad memories of DKC3 lol.

Also I've always been rather poor at Simon Says myself so I'm glad raocow isn't struggling with the banana bird caves so far...
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

should I mention that

raocow missed K3's banana bird

or are pretending otherwise?
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

"Björn" doesn't rhyme with "thorn", ray-o-co.
moogy wrote: 4 years ago Shitty Squawks
This might as well be the actual name of any parrot-based level. Well, I suppose the purple parrot peevances can be referred to as "Cwappy Quawks" instead.
Leet

Post by Leet »

It's not like raocow's experience means you're wrong to dislike the levels but man a lot of the levels that people are calling egregious slogs he's just playing through like any other level
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

With regards to Blunder, he also has additional dialogue if you

open up the lost world without ever speaking to him first.

And yeah, Razor Ridge is a slog. I personally disliked Kong-Fused Cliffs far more than Buzzer Barrage, but neither of them are great levels and they set the world off on a really bad footing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Kincyr wrote: 4 years ago should I mention that

raocow missed K3's banana bird

or are pretending otherwise?
I elected not to because

I think it's tremendously funny that he deduced that there must be a banana bird in every area right before entering K3 and then put no effort whatsoever into searching K3 for a banana bird

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Bleak took me way too long to figure out. The little icon signifying which row you're aiming for is so out of the way and easy to miss that I just didn't see it for quite awhile. I actually blundered my way through beating him twice before figuring out how to tell where I was aiming.
Mandew wrote: 4 years agoI think Razor Ridge is the most problematic part of this game. It's one of those rare cases where I feel the level's aesthetics cause a problem; It's so very monotone that it gets exhausting to look at, since these levels are so long. For at least three of these levels, the foreground tones and the background tones are pretty much the same. This is what I would say is the most questionable decision in this game. Also the levels don't just get really long; some of them have some jank, uninteresting or unpleasant gimmicks. DKC3 is my favorite SNES DKC game, but this world is, in my opinion, just the worst world in the trilogy.
I don't disagree with the general sentiment but I think Razor Ridge still has some good levels. Kong-fused Cliffs was a decent level and Ropey Rumpus is my favorite level in the game. Buzzer Barrage and Pot Hole Panic both kinda suck though. Buzzer Barrage being the better of the two iirc because the other one is so completely absurdly long.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago Bleak took me way too long to figure out. The little icon signifying which row you're aiming for is so out of the way and easy to miss that I just didn't see it for quite awhile. I actually blundered my way through beating him twice before figuring out how to tell where I was aiming.
Mandew wrote: 4 years agoI think Razor Ridge is the most problematic part of this game. It's one of those rare cases where I feel the level's aesthetics cause a problem; It's so very monotone that it gets exhausting to look at, since these levels are so long. For at least three of these levels, the foreground tones and the background tones are pretty much the same. This is what I would say is the most questionable decision in this game. Also the levels don't just get really long; some of them have some jank, uninteresting or unpleasant gimmicks. DKC3 is my favorite SNES DKC game, but this world is, in my opinion, just the worst world in the trilogy.
I don't disagree with the general sentiment but I think Razor Ridge still has some good levels. Kong-fused Cliffs was a decent level and Ropey Rumpus is my favorite level in the game. Buzzer Barrage and Pot Hole Panic both kinda suck though. Buzzer Barrage being the better of the two iirc because the other one is so completely absurdly long.
if not for the screen crunch, I would agree about Kong-Fused Cliffs being a nice level. In the SNES version at the very least, the amount of playable space on the rope is tiny, due to the fire taking a good 25% of the bottom of the screen and the ??? up top taking about as much. I think fundamentally, that space crunch is the one thing the level does wrong, and it is plenty to make the experience a miserable one. In its final (SNES version) state, it's a divisive one due to this being kinda jank.

Ropey Rumpus plays very well, but unfortunately I feel it's the level most affected by the monotone aesthetic going on. It's very... variations on the same B>R Purple.
video games
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago :iris:

Yeah I don't know what went wrong when you said "I played this game too much" but I played this game a lot too and I don't complain about everything in it.

It sounds like this is the sole reason why you're so biased against the third game. Maybe if you replayed the game to the point that you milked out all the fun and got sick of it, maybe you should've... stopped and played something else?
As I said in (I think) my first post, this game was instrumental in me understanding that lesson.

I just also think that it's genuinely not a very good game, or rather it is a very disappointing one - in that it shows a lot of potential (with the biggest potential being "sequel to DKC2"), but squanders it. I've noted that potential before (when praising the Mekanos levels).

Put me firmly in the "Kong-Fused Cliffs is great" camp, by the way. Yes, the screen could be less crunched, but I think it's always fair, IF you accept that you'll have to stay closer to the fire than you might be comfortable with. Other than that, like Ripsaw Rage, it's an autoscroller with a great concept that always gives you something to do, making it very much not boring. Also, one should note that it features fantastic bonuses as well.

The underwater and the cave level are just really boring imho. I don't hate them, but I've come to strongly hold the opinion that mediocrity is maybe worse than obvious jank in a game; you can at least laugh about the latter.
Leet

Post by Leet »

ohhh my godd what an insanely overlong level that raocow experienced normally like every other level woaaah
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Meanwhile. I'm looking at the elephant and smallest bird and wondering if they're the reason Retro Studios thought only Rambi was any good. :|

Parry in particular is about as far from a powerup mount as you can get.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

In contrast to some others here, Kong-Fused Cliffs is far and away my least-favorite level in the game. Like, it's the only level in the whole game I can honestly say I dislike.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I don't really think Kiddie really cares about grabbing onto an elephants ears and their safety. Dude just wants to go apeshit, just look at his face.
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Personally I feel that Kong-Fused Cliffs has the appearance of an annoying level, but it's not that bad if you stay down below instead of up above where things just suddenly pop out. The concept is definitely cool. I do think, however, a criticism of DKC3 I saw in this thread and agree with after seeing is how this game has many cases of little advance warning of what's coming up. It's not like this is a game that intentionally deploys surprise traps for humor or cleverness, but you need to learn through trial and error just like with those kinds of games.

Pot Hole Panic is basically a much tamer version of Animal Antics from DKC2, and on one hand, I appreciate how lenient it is because it gives you a break in a later portion of the game. On the other hand, it doesn't have much of an identity other than a theme of "animal buddies in crates". It doesn't have much cohesion otherwise. Kuchukas are supposed to be the level theme, but the Enguarde portion has nothing to do with them. Squawks is a required ride whereas the rest of the animal buddies are optional. Just feels like unrelated parts joined together in a short level with not much to say.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Now I really want to make a franchise called “Crunch House”. It sounds like a music genre, like a mix o’ house & heavy metal.

Strangely, like the other 2 DKC games, the 6th world in this game is the weakest. & in this game, it’s a starker contrast, as “K. Rool Keep” was still solid & “Chimp Caverns” had mo’ than 1 good level.

In fact, we’re past the best part o’ this game, unfortunately.

E’en though I’ve played through this game many times, I ne’er noticed that ball on the side o’ the screen during the Bleak fight.

Not to criticize others’ opinions, but I’m baffled @ why “Kong-fused Kliffs” gets defended for having trial-&-error gameplay & being a repetitive autoscroller, but Quawks & his barrel mechanic in “Buzzer Barrage” gets so much hate simply for being hard & requiring tight manoeuvring ( which is a fair challenge, unlike having enemies hit you from offscreen ). A’least “Buzzer Barrage” gets fast & fun when you’re good @ it, whereas no matter how good you get @ “Kong-fused Kliffs”, it’s always slow & Zzzzzz... That said, there are still areas where Kopters can ambush you with no time to turn back in “Buzzer Barrage”, so it still has flaws. But it’s definitely less cheap than “Kong-fused Kliffs”.

I won’t e’en dignify Rare’s 3rd “Let’s make things dark & call it a level gimmick” level with a comment.

ano0maly already kind o’ said this, but “Pot Hole Panic” has the opposite problem o’ most o’ this game’s levels wherein the gimmick whence it gets its name in that it barely plays a part @ all. Honestly, world 6’s biggest problem isn’t that the levels are rage-inducing, — we need to wait till world 7 & the secret world for that — but that its levels are so forgettable. & being forgettable is worse than being terrible.

But tomorrow’s level will be good a’least.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.