(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by Crow »

we are living in the timeline where sturg got away and brainwashed the entire world into watching raocow videos, btw
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

rao walking off a cliff because he expected the game to path him automatically was funnier than it should have been
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Now, if you were playing the remake, your second run would also involve trying to get Time Relics. You essentially have to beat a specific time to clear each level, but the game no longer cares about which path you take or how many boxes you get. Instead, each box would stop the timer for anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds, and the pause stacks if you can break multiple boxes in quick succession. (Also, each box is labeled for how many seconds it stops the timer, so you can decide if getting a box that's a bit out of the way is worth it or not.)

You could go for Time Relics at any point after beating the level once, but you'd want to wait until beating the final boss so you unlocked Running Shoes, and get the ability to dash.

I'm not sure if this was also added into Crash 1. I got fed up with the unfair-ness on trying to get everything, and just bee-lined it straight to the final boss. Like you saw, the good ending for that game wasn't worth it. (Speaking of the final boss of the first game, you guys should look up NicoB and his stream recording of playing the first game in the remake. His running joke for the final boss was absolutely hilarious!) By the way, weren't people originally complaining about how the remake made it difficult to do things like the rope skip for the bridge levels? Admittedly, I was using a keyboard for controls at that point, but I didn't have any trouble jumping up onto the rope and staying there. I know the new hit-boxes being pill-shaped instead of flat-ended cylinders made some platforming jumps more difficult because you were more likely to slide off, but the rope skip was pretty easy to manage. (Unless they patched the hitboxes as some point between the game's release and my having played it for the first time a couple weeks ago.)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Time relics were also added to Crash 1 in the remake, but not the Crash Dash powerup

And I wouldn't spoil the time relics yet as he might not know they're a thing yet

kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Sorry, didn't think that they'd count as a spoiler since I was talking about the remake.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Don't watch many LPs of this game, so I never knew there was a time limit to this one or that those mines don't outright destroy you. It's a fight that can be won in less than thirty seconds if you do it right. Look, the game tries with the boss fight dealios. Just not that final one.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

The

existence of time relics

is also a spoiler

for the third game, which raocow will be playing at some point

Crow

Post by Crow »

it looks to me like the nitro crates in Air Crash could account for most if not all the missing boxes. but i haven't seen the nitro switch for the level yet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The real la-mulana starts here
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

So this single level, Air Crash, has a death route, a hidden exit for a secret section in another level, and a secret section of its own accessed by a hidden exit in another level which is needed for the box gem

Wrap your head around that

Crow

Post by Crow »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago

So this single level, Air Crash, has a death route, a hidden exit for a secret section in another level, and a secret section of its own accessed by a hidden exit in another level which is needed for the box gem

explanation: crash 2 really wanted to sell its strategy guide
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago

Air Crash is the hip happen-est level around.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

to answer the implied question in the description of this video ("arbitrary nature of the link between these two levels"):

there isn't a link at all.

slightly more spoilery explanation:

Air Crash is just the first secret exit in the game, so it leads to the first secret level

and so, putting those things together, a slightly more spoilery strategy thing:

what you've been doing is basically how the secrets work in these games. seeing something and going "hmm that's suspicious, can i go there?" and the answer is always yes.

ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

rena wrote: 4 years ago
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I clicked the thumbs up fart button
haha
holy shit... after years of being amused by the fact that we have a "fake thumbs up button that plays a fart sound", this revelation is a twist.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Some of these secret exits are kind of obtuse, but at the same time, I think you'll find most of them. If you do need help, ask away. For now though, I'd say to keep doing what you're doing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

honestly a lot of this secret stuff feels super "fake video game"-y and i guess that's a sign that this sort of thing isn't just what people who don't play video games think video games are like, but that crash has just had far more of an impression on media than i ever imagined

and, y'know, i actually kind of love it. it's a pretty rough style of design, but the fact that the game signposts pretty well that's you're missing stuff in a level helps incentivize the whole "mess with whatever looks suspicious" style of secrets this game has, and that reminds me a lot of doom and games based on it actually. the only thing that particularly stands out as a big miss is the fact that you can visibly 100% levels that have secret exits without finding them, which, uh ... seems like a pretty big issue when you manage to 100% everything except the levels that require secret entrances, and are left just running around every single other level with zero indication of there being anything worthwhile still being left in them

i guess it'd defeat the point if there was some sort of secret exit symbol on the level entrances, but maybe something like having level names light up after truly 100%ing ( aka getting everything in them and the level they have a secret exit to ) them would be a nice subtle trick? that way you could look at a "completed" hub world, notice that one level's name is different from the others despite the fact that you have all the crystals and gems in the hub, and be clued in that you aren't actually quite finished with everything
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I wonder how many people saw in Un-Bearable that

the bridge wasn't completely destroyed this time and took that as some kind of a hint

Now I have a question for people that found everything in this game:

at the end of the blue gem path in Hang Eight, what's the meaning of the land on the other side across the water, with the two plants? I remember that when I played the game I tried to jump over there but not being able to reach there.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoNow I have a question for people that found everything in this game:

at the end of the blue gem path in Hang Eight, what's the meaning of the land on the other side across the water, with the two plants? I remember that when I played the game I tried to jump over there but not being able to reach there.

Aesthetics. It's not the easiest path in the world.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago
ano0maly wrote: 4 years agoNow I have a question for people that found everything in this game:

Aesthetics. It's not the easiest path in the world.
If you cheat to get over there...the ground isn't even solid, so yeah, it's purely just for looks.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Concerning Rudabaga

if raocow doesn't call UkaUka "Agabadur" I'll be disappointed.

ImageImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

The gem/death paths in this game are weird. on the one hand, having no crates in one means no checkpoints, which can be rough. On the other hand, putting checkpoints in them means that the level becomes a marathon if you wanna 100 percent it. Or in Piston It Away's case it becomes really devious. I'd say there was no right answer, but honestly the right answer was probably to stick to no boxes in the special paths.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

There are metal checkpoints in some side paths of the third game which don't count towards the boxes

Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Secret exits you still have to get:
  1. Bear Down (I think you even saw the secret and pointed it out)
  2. Diggin' it
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Well, that was Crash Bandicoot 2. It's not common for an LP to start with a game I know but then turn into content I haven't played. It was fun and worthwhile.

Also

It's true that the content you unlock for getting all the gems is a little short. In the third game, they make you refight the final boss at that point to give it a little more climax.

The game also has something analogous to the jet board, but it plays somewhat differently.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

And here's how to beat the game in under twelve minutes.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage