(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by Piesonscreations »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Image
Doing my part in containing the beast, we need more protection.
ImageImage
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
I have contained the cursed entity within a quotebox

god save us all if it ever escapes
oh god oh f
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
I have contained the cursed entity within a quotebox

god save us all if it ever escapes
oh god oh f
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i actually did more of these
dated my mom and shinji ikari's birthday 2018
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

It's evolving...
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Decided to finally try these games for myself, and got the N.Sane Trilogy.

First off, these are probably the only 3D games I've ever played that are absolutely perfect to control with the keyboard. I tried using an XBox360 controller, but the control pad didn't work very well for me and kept sending me in diagonals when I just wanted a left/right jump. So, I gave up on the controller, and went with a control layout sort of like "Distorted Travesty", with WASD for movement and JKL for actions. Works like a charm!

Anyways, my first play session in the game, and I got all the way to "The Lost City" in the first game. (Trying to catch up, but I've got all of Crash 1 to get through!) That Green Gem is absolutely infuriating, and since I already know that the good ending is pretty lame, I'm considering not going for 100%

I do want to know, in the remake, when it says to break all of the boxes without dying, do deaths in the bonus areas count or am I free to try those as many times as I need without fully restarting the level?

One thing that I really like with the remakes is getting to play as Coco. I don't know why, but I like her design more than Crash's.
Whimsical Calamari

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago I do want to know, in the remake, when it says to break all of the boxes without dying, do deaths in the bonus areas count or am I free to try those as many times as I need without fully restarting the level?
The latter. Bonus areas give you as many tries as you'd like. And same, Lost City's gem was easily among the most frustrating things for me to get in this game (currently beat out by Fumbling in the Dark - just in general - and the platinum relic in Road to Nowhere).
One thing that I really like with the remakes is getting to play as Coco. I don't know why, but I like her design more than Crash's.
I almost would agree? Except she's always carrying her laptop, and that really bothers me for some reason.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Squish the bear.
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

About Polar (yes that's the name of the polar bear),

apparently there's a charge move to go faster? I know the counterpart in Warped has this.

I beat this game but never got 100%, unlike the other two. I played it as a rental and when I was young I felt that there were some secrets in this game that I couldn't quite understand how to reach. I'm curious to see how they unfold in this let's play.
Whimsical Calamari

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I felt that there were some secrets in this game that I couldn't quite understand how to reach. I'm curious to see how they unfold in this let's play.
I've 100%'d and I can safely say, some of the secrets are definitely weird.

But at the same time, I think the design language of the secrets are very well suited for rao's gameplay mentality. They're very much of the "hey I wonder if there's anything there?" style of secret.

It's kind of a reason I've been looking forward to this LP - just waiting to see how he reacts to them lol.

If anything, they're definitely more reasonable to find than the two hidden levels in Warped, IMO.

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

it feels like they fixed the fake difficulty aspects of the first game but decided to make the level design more unfair to compensate. like a lot of stuff in this game has just felt plain MEAN which i did not get the same vibe from the first game at all
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

i was fully expecting rao to be missing a single crate in that last level

also i feel like a lot of the platforming jank comes from vaguely sm64-esque collisions where walls are coded as at boxes that push your outward if you touch them. it's especially noticeable with single-crate jumping, as rao usually ends up colliding with the crate, but instead of landing on top of it he's instead pushed besides it and then falls, usually into a pit
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Cyril wrote: 4 years agolike a lot of stuff in this game has just felt plain MEAN which i did not get the same vibe from the first game at all
Invisible paths are a lot worse than anything we've seen so far in Crash 2...
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

gonna be honest, rao just hasn't been playing all that well the past couple of days

some of it is just going with the setup he has and some of it is general clumsiness, but he usually does a lot better than this
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like I agree and I'm not sure what is going on about that
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think raocow has not yet realized that

not all hard paths - whether gem paths or "death route" found today in Air Crash - contain crates needed to collect the all-boxes gem. Some of them contain a separate gem at the end and some paths branch out to another exit out of the level, rather than rejoining to the main level.

I guess I'll link to what's supposed to happen by jumping on Polar (this video is of the remake but it works the same way as the original):

While I'm at it I'll also link this: a Crash Bandicoot level being a cameo in

Uncharted 4

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago

If anything, they're definitely more reasonable to find than the two hidden levels in Warped, IMO.

I didn't know about the two secret levels at all until I learned about them later while reading online guides, I think. One of them has a hint you'll know once you actually see it, and the other I don't think there's any hint?

But aside from those I was able to finish the game to completion. I'm getting a rough feeling that Warped is easier to complete. Maybe it's because of

new abilities you gain after bosses

?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Now that you've played that level I feel obligated to share this alternate take on the snowball level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GuLZmam9cg
Whimsical Calamari

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago

I didn't know about the two secret levels at all until I learned about them later while reading online guides, I think. One of them has a hint you'll know once you actually see it, and the other I don't think there's any hint?

No hint whatsoever, you just have to know exactly where to die. And same, I never would have found those secrets if I hadn't had the internet, while in 2 I was able to find every one of the secrets myself just by exploration.

But aside from those I was able to finish the game to completion. I'm getting a rough feeling that Warped is easier to complete. Maybe it's because of

new abilities you gain after bosses

?
Definitely agree. Though total completion would be a lot more difficult

thanks to the Good Ending at 105% actually requiring all the relics at gold or better

. Which, that's an ordeal.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I don't think I've ever beaten the Crash Bandicoot level in Uncharted 4
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

oh hey i used the sewer music from this game for the sewers in maglx2 btw
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

I finally got around to trying to play the remake with my VR headset and VorpX. For the love of God, if you've ever considered trying this, DON'T DO IT!!!! Everything does turn 3D, but it's like a 3D video placed in front of a 3D video. I don't know how to describe it, really. The environments become absolutely beautiful in 3D, able to actually see down the levels and see the distance. The characters, obstacles, and crates all become 3D. They look nice as well. Now, imagine your 3D-rendered characters are placed in front of you up close, the environment is placed in front of you but further away, and the characters are moved up/down to try and place them in the right position instead of placed further back to where the environment is. It's probably the most painful thing I'd ever seen in my headset.

On another note, I got to the second ring of levels, and had to look up a guide for "Air Crash". Oh my God, I didn't think this particular brand of evil came into existence until Crash 3! Remind me, has raocow found any of these? It's late (nearly 3:00AM) and I don't want to go digging through the older videos right now. (Admittedly, there aren't that many yet, but still. I really should go to bed.)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

kurt91 wrote:[/yt]9510 time=1574765749 user_id=99915]
I finally got around to trying to play the remake with my VR headset and VorpX. For the love of God, if you've ever considered trying this, DON'T DO IT!!!! Everything does turn 3D, but it's like a 3D video placed in front of a 3D video. I don't know how to describe it, really. The environments become absolutely beautiful in 3D, able to actually see down the levels and see the distance. The characters, obstacles, and crates all become 3D. They look nice as well. Now, imagine your 3D-rendered characters are placed in front of you up close, the environment is placed in front of you but further away, and the characters are moved up/down to try and place them in the right position instead of placed further back to where the environment is. It's probably the most painful thing I'd ever seen in my headset.
You've probably seen them, but for anyone else who is curious, SuperBunnyHop has two videos on VorpX, although focusing on emulation of older titles (and comparison with Labo, Nintendo's native offer)

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, this game still holds up watching someone else go through it. It's tough, but it still feels fair. Hope the control issues aren't an issue the rest of the way since that would definitely bring down the fun a notch. The sewer level looked to be fine for you in that department.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

[Exit, pursued by a bear]
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they