(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by Grounder »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago
Grounder wrote: 4 years ago :monstrosity: the level

hard to believe rao had the best overall time with 1, but here we are, i guess
did he? he seemed pretty okay with both 1 & 2 but 3's been the kinda rough one
1>>2>>>>>>3
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Yeah this level's just horrendous in general. The bike levels are all pretty bad but making one where you can't even see in front of you, it's genuinely in the top 3 worst levels in the entire crash series (that's including all the sequels made by other companies, not just the originals).
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

man, it must've been piss-easy in the n. sane trilogy because while i don't remember the specifics of my playthrough I do remember my thoughts coming away from it being "love the aesthetic, kinda hard to see but not the worst thing ive ever played, cool level"
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah my understanding is that the visibility is way better + the times aren't as strict in n sane

which is good since that's the version i'll be playing/completing
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, the darkness gimmick that this one has in the PS1 version is pretty much gone in the remake, and it just becomes a driving at night level. I hated the plane levels more, but this one's the hardest level in the game thanks to the worst style of gimmick you can put in a platformer, never mind for a racing level.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Maybe it could have been a better idea to go for the box gem first, since the race levels allow for that. Driving at a casual pace to learn the level layout.

In time trials it helps to remember the level layout and plan the route in advance instead of just reacting on reflex. And I'm getting the vibe that this is just a bad level to do blindly. You can see some objects ahead of you (like incoming police cars) but not being able to see the boxes ahead isn't good. The pits are barely visible, although it looks like all of them had either barricades or ramps in front. But once you've fully ingested the level structure I can see it going much more smoothly. It's been a long ago but I don't remember this level in particular as standing out as troublesome, and from reading the video comments there's actually quite a few people that seem to like it.

Since the level does not have a crystal, you can get the 1st place gem and the relic together by performing well. In fact it's possible to get both gems and at least the sapphire relic in a single run.

And regarding how Naughty Dog managed to produce an impressive racing game after these divisive racing levels. It makes sense that CTR would be way better, since that has a more complete set of racing vehicle mechanics. In competent racing games you can turn around in 360 degrees as needed and also go reverse if really necessary.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I wonder if Naughty Dog were like, "You know, our darkness gimmick has been seen as a detriment to platforming levels in the first two games, what if we instead moved that gimmick to one of these new motorcycle levels?"

On some level it makes sense in that the motorcycle levels are already secretly kind of memorize-the-track challenges, and this makes that challenge more explicit and more difficult. Also, thank goodness raocow's saving debacle happened a day before this.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

What if I told you that there was a super secret in that dinosaur level that is unindicated in any way??? Well, if you want to look yourself

it's in the gem path

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow

Post by Crow »

kitikami wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if Naughty Dog were like, "You know, our darkness gimmick has been seen as a detriment to platforming levels in the first two games, what if we instead moved that gimmick to one of these new motorcycle levels?"
i mean Bug Lite also exists
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Yeah that secret in the dinosaur level is what we in the magl business would label an "absurd second star"
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

op updated

sorry, i watch raocow by just binging sporadically
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago What if I (snipped)
What if you didn't until later?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I mean someone's going to have to tell him about secret content eventually. Now that we saw he didn't stumble into it by accident it's only a matter of time until some kind of "cleanup".
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Zinfandel wrote: 4 years ago What if you didn't until later?
Literally why, nothing will change between now and later. There is no further information to get spoiled on

except maybe noting that his percentages aren't adding up...? but then he still would have no idea why

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

hey there everyone this is raocow we're playing crash 3 yesterday was the finale but i have to come back for one thing awkwardly

Actually wait nevermind i think this actually happened once
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Actually wait nevermind i think this actually happened once
SUPER FINAL or ACTUAL FINAL has definitely happened several times
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Happened with Crash 1 sorta. (Beat the game, then did Stormy Ascent as the final video)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow

Post by Crow »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago hey there everyone this is raocow we're playing crash 3 yesterday was the finale but i have to come back for one thing awkwardly

i mean i think the two hidden levels are required for unlocking the true ending

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote: 4 years agoWhat if I told you that there was a super secret in that dinosaur level that is unindicated in any way??? Well, if you want to look yourself

it's in the gem path

This is purely a guess because I've only played Crash 3 like one single time ever but is it:

getting on top of the metal crates near the five extra lives then jumping as high and as far as possible to get over the second wall of metal crates?

tirakai

Post by tirakai »

In Crash 2, the secret exits were all suspicious in some way, like random platforms you'd never need to go to, or nitro crates not bouncing. They were hidden but in a way that you'd be able to find them yourself if you paid attention.

In this game though they're just completely arbitrary. I'm personally convinced they made these levels as something you wouldn't know about until you looked in a guide and discovered this whole new extra level, since they are just straight up not things people will never find except by total accident.

They did include a

secret Spyro demo

in the game after all.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

tirakai wrote: 4 years ago
They did include a

secret Spyro demo

in the game after all.
That's in the manual
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Eggipus Rex actually uses its parent level's relic times for some reason. Its parent level is also a much, much longer level.

So Don't Get Too Cocky

tbh i wonder if it was deliberate, a way to give players a platinum relic and let them know all the other levels have them too. as a reward for finding the most obtuse secret in the classic trilogy
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I don't know, Eggipus Rex feels like an unfinished level in general. I feel like it's more likely they just put on that time because they didn't get around to making a proper relic run for the stage.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

tirakai wrote: 4 years ago In Crash 2, the secret exits were all suspicious in some way, like random platforms you'd never need to go to, or nitro crates not bouncing. They were hidden but in a way that you'd be able to find them yourself if you paid attention.

In this game though they're just completely arbitrary. I'm personally convinced they made these levels as something you wouldn't know about until you looked in a guide and discovered this whole new extra level, since they are just straight up not things people will never find except by total accident.

They did include a

secret Spyro demo

in the game after all.
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the secrets in this game were literally made to sell gaming magazines.

To be fair, at least the Alien Sign you have to ram is unique.

But yeah, Crash 3's low points are basically the worst parts of the trilogy, and we're not even done with the vehicles yet...
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago tbh i wonder if it was deliberate, a way to give players a platinum relic and let them know all the other levels have them too. as a reward for finding the most obtuse secret in the classic trilogy
tirakai wrote: 4 years ago I don't know, Eggipus Rex feels like an unfinished level in general. I feel like it's more likely they just put on that time because they didn't get around to making a proper relic run for the stage.
Nope - the actual reason is that in the NTSC-U version of the game, there's a glitch where Eggipus Rex applies the required times of the level where you found the secret, not its own relic times

(this also applies to Hot Coco)

. This makes even the platinum relic much easier to get than it's intended. The Japanese and PAL versions fixed this, and it's no longer an oversight in N. Sane.

And what kind of hint is that, to tell you to get the gem and then die and restart the level. There are no boxes in this level, so you just need to play the level once in time trial mode to get both the gem and the relic together. I suppose that playing through the level first would help you get a good time record, and extra lives go away in time trial mode (although wumpa fruits are still there in this case), but I just find the tip to be baffling.

The way I see it is that Baby T is prominently featured in the game cover and the opening before the title screen, but seemingly only shows up in one level in the main game, so it's a nice bonus that there's a level specifically dedicated to appreciating him.