(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Razzling
Maximum gay
First name: Josie
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by Razzling »

Crash had two entire other games to himself, if anything he's just being greedy by not wanting Coco to have her own fun stopping cortex if you really think about it
:trans_pride:
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Who is this lot of people presurring about the gold times....
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

mostly in youtube comments-land
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago mostly in youtube comments-land
Youtube comments matter. Shocking.

If you want to get the gold ankhs, you should try to get them raocow. But if you don't think it adds anything to the playthrough feel free to not bother.

I worry you will get sucked up by sunk cost fallacy if you hit a wall. And rather than leave it be; you'll just suffer.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago

If you want to get the gold ankhs, you should try to get them raocow. But if you don't think it adds anything to the playthrough feel free to not bother.

I worry you will get sucked up by sunk cost fallacy if you hit a wall. And rather than leave it be; you'll just suffer.
This. I'd like to see the gold times attempted, but not if they're going to just sour the experience. Some of them do border on unfair.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Hoeloe wrote: 4 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago

This. I'd like to see the gold times attempted, but not if they're going to just sour the experience. Some of them do border on unfair.

Don't tell raocow about Platinum Relics

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Personally I would say try to get a good time as if you're aiming for gold relics, without requiring yourself to get gold. A voluntary challenge to put in the effort could make the experience more fun and can avoid feeling like you just cheesed it.

I guess I see the appeal of gold runs: the time trials are seeing the same levels again with some modest differences, and a gold run would actually make you go through the level fast, so it might make for a more interesting video. But the fact that you don't see the gold time until you clear the sapphire time (or having to look it up) makes it inconvenient; the places where you see the gold time is where you're intentionally returning to a level where you already got a relic. Thus far, the most rewarding moments were when you were just doing the normal time trial and got a gold relic unexpectedly.

Now for specific level types:

For the swimming levels, it was actually smart to get hit while riding the sub just before reaching the pipe sections where it would self-detonate. When it does, this leaves you frozen for a while as you dismount, whereas you recover faster if you take a hit and lose the sub. I think?

For the Pura-riding levels, sometimes it could help to jump over certain things as opposed to trying to go around them. As for the mask not working, I think there are two obstacles where the mask does not help: the walls and the stationary stack of barrels.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I'd recommend going for the gold relics in a casual playthrough but wow is it ever a momentum killer in an LP. It's, uh, not that fun to watch, and with all those cuts it looks a pain to edit, too.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah while i would technically say gold relics have a tangible reward in this game they are also not very LP-friendly and i can understand not doing them

especially since it made like two-thirds of this video repeat content
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

man, shadow the hedgehog is gonna be rough on the old cow
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

So yeah, here's the main problem with the gold relics, the bike stages.

On most stages the gold relic it's a matter of finding the best route, best time to jump and spin, figuring out which corners you can cut to gain a second or two, when it's best to damage boost, etc, it's a fun challenge that tests how well you know the level.

With the Bike levels on the other hand you just do the same thing over and over until you randomly win despite feeling like you didn't even do anything different, and if you make even a single mistake you lose.
And there's 4 of these terrible levels too!
The crystal's annoying, the gem's annoying, and the relics annoying on the bike levels, every run of them is a pain to do. It's honestly kind of amazing how they managed to make such a great kart racer that still holds up really well, after making such horrendous racing levels in this game.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Plat video for comparison:

rao definitely found the best strategy of keeping the wheelie for as long as possible, but executing it better requires absolutely slicing those edges, not missing a timer box (although the wide collision detection on the bike helps here), hitting every booster and avoiding every optional ramp.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It's disappointing that platinum relics were spoiled (probably on Youtube comments where I kept seeing them mentioned), I was waiting for you to find out when you get one by accident :aliceko:

Well, now that their existence is known, a summary of some information about time trials:

Sapphire: Basic time trial goal. It simply tests you on your ability to beat the level without dying (sometimes made easier by added masks) and without going slow as a turtle. Collect enough relics to open up new time rifts.

Gold: Gotta go fast. I believe you need to get all the gems and all the gold or higher relics

to get one last gem from Coco, which happens with a fireworks event.

I'm guessing that these aren't that difficult on regular platforming levels since they're meant to be obtainable before you have crash dash power.

Platinum: You need to think like a speedrunner and optimize your runs. Really, an FAQ I consulted when I was going for these platinum relics said things like "Shoot that enemy with a bazooka to knock it towards that time box over there". I think the platinum times aren't shown at level information

until after you get the true ending

. Optional to get.

Developer Times: These are times achieved by game developers in Naughty Dog and Sony. As such, they should be treated as personal records attained by individuals, not standardized goals for players to beat. I don't think you get anything if you beat a dev time, other than satisfaction. The time records are shown with the credits in the true ending.

It seems that the time trials were meant to be individualized challenges in an environment closed off from the main game - this is why you don't lose lives and (for the most part) you don't collect any wumpa fruits or lives, either.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

nooo fuck the youtube comments i was also waiting for that
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I saw a YT comment that said "the existence of platinum relics has probably already been spoiled either on the talkhaus or in the yt comments so" and then went into a lengthy explanation about them

that was a new one
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

guys I knew about the platinum relics since before the lp even started, it's one of those osmosis knowledge kind of thing
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

So blame this guy

And while we're at it let's blame Inside Out and Cells at Work
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Only recommendation is that you should try and get more comfortable with that glide jump. It's really a time saver.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I hope Tomb Time Gold Trial ended up being easier the second time around.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I know you had control issues with double jump but you need to use it more. The double jump and death tornado spin allow you to skip over parts, especially in earlier levels which were designed with you not having them at first.

For my part, I don't think I ran into that much problems with double jump because I may have always used the second jump right after the first. For this game (or maybe given how young I was when playing it) I didn't think to try to save a spare jump in case I needed it, so I wasn't aware of it potentially not working once you drop down.

It looks like Tomb Time would have worked with either path for gold; there was at least one run for each path where you may have had enough time and you fell in the pit at the end. It's possible that gem path to the left has more time boxes, or that normal path takes longer than the gem path if you have invincibility. The balancing out of the two paths would be because the left path needs to rejoin to the right at the end.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Here's a good example run.

https://youtu.be/0QPO34RrBJs
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

:monstrosity: the level

hard to believe rao had the best overall time with 1, but here we are, i guess
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Far more tolerable in the remake, honestly. More visibility, more lenient time for the relics.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago :monstrosity: the level

hard to believe rao had the best overall time with 1, but here we are, i guess
did he? he seemed pretty okay with both 1 & 2 but 3's been the kinda rough one
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

And to think, after this game's driving levels, they went on to make Crash Team Racing.