(shouting)

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - U R Not Red E

Post by Piesonscreations »

I really like Dingo's attack animations. Got some oomph to them.
ImageImage
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

For some reason, looking at Dingodile's portrait made me expect him to be chubby
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

Another present from the same people who did the lyrical version of "Your Contract Has Expired", we've got Dingodile's boss theme!

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

my understanding is that there are two more of these left! yahoo!!!

crash 3 isn't looking so good atm. i dunno if it was raocow or the level but the first one today didn't really look that exciting either. very crash 1-esque & the nets are all so slow uugh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

My take on the game is that it's usually fun when you can platform, and it's usually not when it tries to be something else. Don't think Crash needs swimming or bike levels to be a good game.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow might be interested to know that there's a unique element in that bike level that might be worth investigating.

And that's all I'm gonna say, as non-spoilery as possible because i feel like other people will probably try and tell him much more explicit things

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Wasn't that in level 8?

Also I thought there was a button to abruptly break in the races? Don't know how useful it is though.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I never knew why ntropy was working with cortex anyway, as we're shown here he seems to have very important cosmic responsibilities and is much smarter than them.
ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago

Wasn't that in level 8?

We literally saw raocow pass right by the secret element several times in-video so no

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

What does Crash turn into when hit by N.Tropy's attacks? Ash Bandicoot.
ImageImage
kurt91

Post by kurt91 »

"Gonna fight the heat-death of the universe!"

Incidentally, raocow, have you ever read the "Young Wizards" series of books? They're pretty good. They're set in modern day (although there's such a time gap between releases in the series, that the older books got a rewrite so that "modern day" was the same "modern day" throughout instead of going from the 80's to 2000's in about half-a-year in-universe!), and while they're modern-fantasy, they treat magic in the same way as real-life computer coding. One character words it best as "The Powers That Be know what the universe was like when they built it, but we know all the little places to smack it to keep it running." Wizards are essentially the IT support of the universe, and it was apparently coded in UNIX.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

N. Tropy was an interesting boss when I tested stuff out with him after I returned with the death tornado spin. As you saw at one point, he gets back up if you don't reach him quickly enough while he's at exhaustion. And what happens if you get near him while he's standing upright? Smashes the weapon and instakills you.

For the energy spheres, I think the second shot is always high enough that you can duck beneath it. And I found the death effect from N. Tropy's attacks very unpleasant when I played.

It returns in future-theme levels.

Leet wrote: 4 years ago

We literally saw raocow pass right by the secret element several times in-video so no

Oh hmm

My memories are failing me here in a game where I've otherwise remembered things accurately
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ah, there it is. The plane level. That's my least favorite thing in this game. Wonder if Naughty Dog felt like they wanted to move on while making this game because there are just too many times where Warped becomes "Why is this in a platforming game?" game.

It's so frustrating since the platforming levels thanks to the new gameplay additions are a lot of fun and some of the best in the series. Then they completely tell you that Crash can't use these powers and place you on a jet ski or in that flying abomination.
Crow

Post by Crow »

they couldn't leave the series without poisoning the well for the entire genre going forward

spyro 2 & 3 have this problem as well and we're still recovering from the shockwaves of it
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Spyro 2 and 3 didn't have it this bad, every level in Spyro was still mostly focused on the platforming with just a couple bonus side activities being vehicle segments. In Crash 3 though it feels like platforming levels became the minority. It's why crash 2 is my favourite despite the normal platforming levels in 3 probably being better as a whole.

Although, looking at what they Naughty Dog with Jak 2 and 3, I get the impression that vehicle levels were the main thing they wanted to do.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

It just seems to be a Thing with PlayStation platformers - add in minigames in the first or second installment, and the minigames slowly take over until it's the majority in 3. Spyro was definitely like that with its alternate character levels, not to mention Sly Cooper.
Cyril wrote: they couldn't leave the series without poisoning the well for the entire genre going forward
see also, CTR: "If we make the villain an alien, nobody will take us seriously anymore and they'll let us end the series with poor sales!"
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Wonder if you can hop on those monkeys in the Egyptian tombs. There's a lot of tricky traps, but they're not always as hazardous as they look.

The spears from the ground actually only hurt at the metal tips, so while they're fully raised you can walk past the wooden sticks. And the darts that shoot when you walk into spots of light are projectiles with finite speed. So depending on where the light is, even if you walk into it you may be able to dodge the darts.

For the plane levels, there might be an option in pause menu to invert up/down.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years agonot to mention Sly Cooper.
sly cooper is a weird one where the first game was basically just this kind of PS1 platformer with the minigames and all, the second one tried to actually be its own thing & integrated minigames well into the actual structure & just overall felt a lot better, then the third one took the structure of 2 and pushed the minigames back up to a stupid degree again (and has the spyro 3 problem of too many alternate playstyles as well)
Leet

Post by Leet »

I really wouldn't compare spyro 3 to this at all; the alternate characters are still playing in a 3d world with the same basic philosophy (and are not nearly as common as crash 3's random other game levels). same with dkc3; it has a ton of weird gimmicks, but they're almost all within the same engine and context.

crash 3's levels are pretty much unrelated to anything other than they also have boxes.
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah but spyro 3 has skateboarding
Leet

Post by Leet »

If the skateboarding levels in spyro 3 were 1/5 or 1/6 of the entire game that would be crash 3

The structure also makes all this far more optional than crash 3
Leet

Post by Leet »

It's only going to get worse

):
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Those are some really large water waves - they very much made me feel while watching that yeah, you're over deep waters.

I think that these levels with the large arrow on top would have benefited from providing the player some camera control. These aren't the usual Crash levels where the camera is intentionally fixed in one direction and therefore the level design is (usually) planned around that, being primarily moving forward with some sidescrolling mixed in. Instead these are 3D levels with freely rotating view.
And perhaps Crash 3 overdid it with four of these jet ski levels: level 26, Ski Crazed, seems redundant compared to level 18. I'm not aware of Ski Crazed adding anything new, other than the challenge of keeping the clock frozen for a long time up to the end if you want to get a good time for the time trial. At least the secret level Hot Coco has an... interesting point of difference.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Not much to say about today other than it happened. I'll give the level credit for having decent draw distance to show that there was that split path ahead of time. It was just missed or passed over the first time around.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

raocow in the video wrote: I am making a mockery of this level at the pace I am playing
nah that's about the normal pace for the gem run. glad the relic was a bit kinder tho
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

this is the first video of this game that contains more than one platforming levels.

that's the crash 3 experience, i guess