(shouting)

Super Mario 63 - FINAL FLASH (game)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
RudeGuy

Re: Super Mario 63 - Groats in a Flash Game

Post by RudeGuy »

given the fact that having metal cap stacked on top of vanish cap is never really required in any of the game's shines, i'm pretty sure having them work this way is a bug and they were always meant to override each other.
which is unfortunate, since raocow discovered the invicible cap's powers only now and that's the only cap which works correctly.
freshtalk

Re: Super Mario 63 - Groats in a Flash Game

Post by freshtalk »

Can't believe you chickened out of firing right into the star using the canon!
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Mario 63 - Puy-de-Dôme Flash Game

Post by Piesonscreations »

I didn't even know that cannon was there.
ImageImage
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

i saw the two keys on his save file at the start of this episode and was shocked at how much of the playthrough i'd missed

and then i realized that i wasn't watching the crash bandicoot lp
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Okay, this is really weird to me. I learned that "no pun in ten did" joke when I was a kid, from a Mario 64 inspired fangame, from talking to a Toad in Peach's Castle. But it wasn't this one. It was some game I got off MFGG. This is so bizarre, did they copy it from this or did this copy it from them? Was it pure coincidence? Or are my memories totally messed up?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote: 4 years agoOkay, this is really weird to me. I learned that "no pun in ten did" joke when I was a kid, from a Mario 64 inspired fangame, from talking to a Toad in Peach's Castle. But it wasn't this one. It was some game I got off MFGG. This is so bizarre, did they copy it from this or did this copy it from them? Was it pure coincidence? Or are my memories totally messed up?
It's a pretty well-known joke so it's likely that neither of them copied the other and it was just coincidence.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
Leet wrote: 4 years agoOkay, this is really weird to me. I learned that "no pun in ten did" joke when I was a kid, from a Mario 64 inspired fangame, from talking to a Toad in Peach's Castle. But it wasn't this one. It was some game I got off MFGG. This is so bizarre, did they copy it from this or did this copy it from them? Was it pure coincidence? Or are my memories totally messed up?
It's a pretty well-known joke so it's likely that neither of them copied the other and it was just coincidence.
Obviously I know this but the surrounding context was literally exactly the same
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Super Mario 63 - Flash Game, Direct to the Philippines

Post by Crow »

my guess is that you missed a star coin in a secret you've already been to, rao
unless the one castle secret you're missing has two star coins, which would be weird
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations

Oh man, I was looking forward to raocow finding that secret in the elevator room. That was basically the first shine I got lol
But still, it seemed to me like he didn't realize there was a passage in the wall until he was literally inside.
ImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Jolly Rodger Bye
Ashan

Re: Super Mario 63 - Three Times the Flash Game You'll Ever Be

Post by Ashan »

This level kinda has the same issue as TTC in SM64 where every star is doing the same climb up the clock but branching off to do something slightly different at the top
RudeGuy

Post by RudeGuy »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago my guess is that you missed a star coin in a secret you've already been to, rao
unless the one castle secret you're missing has two star coins, which would be weird
man, i don't really want to spoiler. but...

there's at least one in peach's castle

Piesonscreations

The game was basically pepper spraying raocow in the face with challenges that were awkward to do, and especially the pendulums would set you back quite a bit, just so he would do the first star first and get those nozzles, but he couldn't resist :partygator:
ImageImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

This game exemplifies the type of level design I dream of making a game with; the kind of level where the player expected to find their own path through.
video games
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I made a discovery about the Rocket Nozzle! You see that tiny red bar to the left of your water? That shows how much longer you can use a nozzle for. It empties when you Rocket and drains slowly when you Hover- when it empties, you have to let it refill back to full to use the nozzle again. Which is from landing on the ground. Or you wait a while- but by then you've likely hit the ground. Sometimes it refills when you hit an enemy just right. That's why you're struggling to use the nozzle again- the recharge bar isn't immediately obvious, and it's overall pretty buggy!

As an example of how buggy it is: 26:18, you pass through a platform- and the game recharges your nozzle. It only checked if the bottom of Mario had hit a platform, not if he was actually on the ground. The awkwardness of this, it's no surprise you've been baffled by the rocket nozzle the whole game!
Grounder

Re: Super Mario 63 - The Flash Games of Shaivism

Post by Grounder »

so when's super mario 65?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

First time posting in the thread, just read through everything. Saw comments on the first video (and throughout this series) praising this game for its level design and physics, which.... stunned me.

Pretty sure I played this as a kid, but after reading the thread I'm now convinced I played a different version (the name Super Mario 128 sounds very familiar, and 2009 seems later than I remember). When I played, I remember the game being EXTREMELY unplayable and unfun. It's also possible differences in framerate change the physics in a way that trivializes certain things (as people have mentioned). ALSO it's possible playing with a keyboard+mouse makes a big difference to playability. There's a lot of factors, but I'm 99% sure the game was nothing like this when I played.

That said, even just from watching these videos I can't imagine how people can praise this game's physics and level design. First of all, the physics are not built around the levels, and the levels are not built around the physics. They totally clash. It seems like most of the time when raocow succeeds, it's because something glitched in his favor (i.e. spamming twirl or turbo and blitzing through a barrage of enemies seems pretty effective because most of the interactions just completely fail). Also the fludd seems super broken the way you can just rocket everywhere, or turbo past everything. It is definitely not balanced around gameplay or the level design at all. It's basically like a cheat if you don't feel like playing the levels, except when you need it. Also the way Mario gets flung everywhere when he touches a cluster of enemies... it seems like maybe when playing you feel like a god whenever you enter a clusterfuck and come out on top, but the reality is there's no rhyme or reason to whether you manage to stomp/kill the enemies or whether you get hit or bounced all around. This game is a janky glitchy mess most of the time.

As for level design, I would argue when you fail it's not really your fault most of the time either. The few times raocow has died in this playthrough have mostly been like "oh, i misunderstood" kind of moments. And then the game can't decide if it wants to be a remake of SM64 but in 2D, or its own thing. Some of the stars are loosely references to stars in SM64, and some are just straight up the exact same idea for no reason.

Secrets and sheer amount of content are probably the most this game has going for it, especially for a flash game of its time. But other than that, I think the reason people praise it must be some kind of nostalgia or maybe just lack of exposure to better made fan projects. I'd like to think Runouw has gotten better and would look back on this game as an experiment and a milestone, but not something worth defending in 2019.
warpio

Post by warpio »

nathanisbored wrote: 4 years agocritiques
Yeah I've had mostly these same thoughts on this game for the duration of the LP. To me it seems like this is the kind of game that I might have enjoyed if I played it during a time where 2D platformer fangames were still very novel/interesting and I didn't have access/money to play the vast amount of well crafted modern indie platformers that exist today.

Like it's very impressive as a non-profit flash game for sure but I really can't imagine actually sincerely thinking this game stands up to something like Celeste in terms of level design and movement mechanics, like it's not even close. It's weird cuz usually my tastes line up pretty similarly to that of raocow and his community but idk what it is about this game that there's such a discrepancy.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

*☆woahthiswasaride⚟ imperfect, best things in life are—and i dont think anyone really expected perfection from this game⋯but-ahh its like all charms and heart really∗ ͙ ⃰ you can totally tell this game comes from another era of the internet, from its writing, its level design, its sounds design, everything♡ knowingly or not it wears all of those things on its sleeves without an ounce of shame, and THAT is just so wholesome and pure˭̡̞#♡ ♡ just like early NES·era stuffs, they are total products of their time and you kinda enjoy them on that level. with that said, the amount of bouncy, lively fun times this game squeezes out of its total run time is amazings⁛⁚.

major props to raocow for making this such a fun lets play—while others couldve gotten like all cynical and frustrated, or eyerolling at some of the games wince·worthy jokes▸ rao moreorless just stuck to positivity and the lets play was all the better for it.. so thank you raocow✧ ゚
ImageImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

my genuine thoughts about this game:
The contents isn't so much the levels. I think the contents are moreso within Mario himself; his movement and abilities are what is being explored all throughout. The "setups" are purposefully very loose and nonchalant most of the time. It's less about figuring how what you're "supposed" to do and moreso figuring out how to use Mario's abilities to get there; how to plan ahead, how to chain the movements from here to there and what your backup plan is in case you lose your footings. The game just gives you the tools and let you figure the rest out for yourself.

This game is a remaster of Super Mario 64 Sunshine, and I remember that having a lot of unpleasant contents right off the bat. I'm glad the author went back and cut his more ambitious game down to just the positive pieces.

The levels have a ton of cute simplicity to them. If I had my own take on this, I would improve it by introducing a few more ideas and make it so the later levels don't feel as much like fleets of platforms.
video games
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

This game is an insane mishmash of kinda-shitty-old-flashgame-with-bad-writing-and-janky-physics along with shocking-competence-given-what-it-is to a degree I have never seen before. One thing that kept standing out to me was how well made and choreographed some of the cutscenes were. And that build-up to the finale was honestly pretty impressive. It's such a weird contrast to the jokes and writing that would indicate it was made by a 12-year-old, yet... The proof is in the pudding that he made something honestly pretty impressive for a flash game.
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

While the levels aren't well-designed by any stretch of the imagination, I'd argue there's still value in the game in terms of how fun it is to play. It's a game where you can just sort of flail around into victory, where getting 100% is more a matter of finding all of the secrets than being super good at platforming. It's the type of thing you'd only really see in a janky 2009 Flash game, and it's not surprising to me that raocow would enjoy it!
Leet

Post by Leet »

I could maybe enjoy it more if these later areas weren't filled with enormous spam of the same 6 enemies. The design doesn't have to be tight if it has an identity, but these areas just come off as samey
Piesonscreations

Oh man, I'd been looking forward to raocow fighting this Bowser for a while, although i'm kinda sad he beat it so fast. Like the first couple of hits almost seemed accidental. Still, quite surprised with how well you manouvered through this whole last level.

I would recommend farming for lives before tackling the post-game level! Mainly because it's a hassle to get back, and you're not gonna get any lives within the actual level.
ImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the design is kinda garbage but it makes up for it by being really generous with health, especially for a 2D mario game, so you kinda don't notice it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life