(shouting)

Super Mario 63 - FINAL FLASH (game)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario 63 - A Highly Cototient Flash Game

Post by Blivsey »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago What does "contotient" mean?
Nothing because I can't spell apparently
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

FLASH'S NOT DEAD

I remember really enjoying playing this back in the day! Although I actually played it on the now defunct Sheezyart lol
Looking forward to see this game again!
ImageImage
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

It's super neat seeing this game at a playable framerate instead of the best 15fps that my parents' 2003 Dell could manage.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago It's super neat seeing this game at a playable framerate instead of the best 15fps that my parents' 2003 Dell could manage.
It looks like it's still struggling, honestly. Check out the chugging on the file menu.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I never really liked this game back in the day, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing all the stuff I missed back then, having never finished it and all.
First name: Violet

Re: Super Mario 63 - A Deficient Composite Flash Game

Post by 10204307 »

Yeah, despite all the jank you'd expect from a 2009 Flash fangame (like the mish-mashed graphics, the weird music panning, all of the spelling and grammatical errors) this game is actually pretty fun to play, and I think you can easily see why so many people have fond memories of playing this game as a kid.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
Whimsical Calamari wrote: 4 years ago It's super neat seeing this game at a playable framerate instead of the best 15fps that my parents' 2003 Dell could manage.
It looks like it's still struggling, honestly. Check out the chugging on the file menu.
for sure, but like. for context: my memory of this game involves it playing at about half the speed that raocow's playing it, at all times.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Today, raocow was given a mission, ignored it to try and do something else, and ended up doing everything except for either of these things.

Truly the collectathon experience
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

man this really does feel like a flash game, and, for me at least, not for the reasons numbers previously mentioned ( although that's probably because all of those things i associate with fangames in general, esp. older ones )

there's just something about the physics and collisions that feels really flash-y. bob-ombs' basically magnetic repulsion-esque physics with mario is the stand-out example, but also just something about the seesaw platforms scream flash to mean

i mean, besides the fact that they're obviously rotated by flash's gfx rotation algorithm

this definitely seems like a lot of fun, though, although some of the jank is ... kinda concerning. i suppose it ultimately depends on how much the game asks out of the player in regards to some of its mechanics later on, but i am not looking forward to any wing cap sections

heck, i'm not looking forward to any possible cannon sections that ask for any sort of precision ... but then again, i guess that goes for sm64 hacks, too

EDIT: also i find it really weird that there's no 100 coin star / shine, and instead it's just ... a 1up. like i was a part of this overall era of fangames and i'm fully aware that there was less of this idea of making an independently refined game, and thus there wasn't as much questioning as to whether mechanics from the inspiring games actually added to the fangame, but it still seems odd that the dev would prioritize a 2d mario mechanic over a pretty major sm64 one

suppose it could be, like, due to not programming the shine system with them in mind, and thus spawning a shine at an arbitrary location with a level-dependent id was not something that could be done without reworking the entire system

then again i didn't even know about the 100-coin stars until well into adulthood, so nyoro~n
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Is there really no way to select save/unsave other than with the mouse?
Like, he didn't realize at any point that when the game has you frozen in the middle of a platforming segment, you'll need to quickly get back to your controls?
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

If you select the 'fast' option it will rejuvenate any crappy old computer into a snappy new one
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Is there really no way to select save/unsave other than with the mouse?
Like, he didn't realize at any point that when the game has you frozen in the middle of a platforming segment, you'll need to quickly get back to your controls?
i mean this was made with a keyboard and mouse in mind

technically, rao's playing it wrong
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Really? How do you control a platformer with a mouse?
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

The Wing Cap in this game is kind of strange at first, but controls a lot better when you realize that it basically works like the cape from Super Mario World, except instead of using left and right to control it, you use up and down. As far as I'm aware, there isn't anywhere it the game where it actually tells you the controls for flying, which feels like a strange oversight since there are tutorial signs for everything, including jumping on goombas.
RudeGuy

Post by RudeGuy »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Is there really no way to select save/unsave other than with the mouse?
can't you use the left and right arrows to select save? i'm pretty sure that was a thing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Really? How do you control a platformer with a mouse?
:roll:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Super Mario 63 - A Defecant Compost Flash Game

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Really? How do you control a platformer with a mouse?
Very carefully nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario 63 - The Third Delannoy Flash Game

Post by KobaBeach »

is it just me or does this game have the wild arms run/pegasus boots run (charge, then run in a straight line until you release the button or crash into a wall)

cuz i was thinking about those two earlier and it's funny to just see it pop up like that later on in the day. running into walls in wild arms was really good

Ashan wrote:Really? How do you control a platformer with a mouse?
i play galaxy with wasd and mouse and it's not optimal but it's enjoyable

again i'm also a complete lunatic who plays super mario world with a keyboard so
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

ahh⁝⁛⁙ totally feeling the nostalgias for a game ive never played〜it has this old janky·internet charm to it—and i love it☆* ͓ this feels like its going to be one of those series that i come back to again and again in the future… like with the ⟪an untitled story⟫ or the ⟪kirby dreamland 3⟫ lets play thingies that are just so incredibly rewatchable▵gosh▵ its a lovely feeling❤♡

way back in the day i can remember playing around with adobe flash circa like 08' or somethings, like HOWDOPEOPLEDOTHIS▒▒░ how do peeps make this kinda stuff? i wonder how making games in flash compares to like game maker studio.. maybe ill have to look into trying it out‼
ImageImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

ALRIGHT- So, seeing this LP be a thing made me want to play this game again for the first time in like 7 years. It was a fun time, really, and I did get 100% completion. Looking forward to how raocow reacts to all the stuff in this game.

One thing about the level designer, I thought it'd be a neat idea if some peeps got together and made some levels to be showcased at the end of the LP, I mean,

the level designer is what the star coins are all about (not really a spoiler? since the game pretty much tells you, but just in case)

, and as far as I'm aware, not only are the servers still up, but levels can be shared by just a long string of code.

Basically, I'm calling for ASM63T to be a thing.
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Peliptia wrote: 4 years ago i wonder how making games in flash compares to like game maker studio.. maybe ill have to look into trying it out‼
You're a little late there - Flash is being discontinued across the board by most web browsers, and ActionScript has never been ideal for game design and development. You're better off looking at other frameworks for web game development like Pico-8, Unity or any of the many HTML5/Canvas game engines
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Super Mario 63 - A Woodall Flash Game at 4

Post by Kleetus »

I played very little of this game years ago, so I'm excited to see the rest of it. I like how the game takes inspiration from SM64DS, which people usually forget had some original stuff.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I think the author should have put the FLUDD hover-o-meter overtop of Mario's head whenever you're hovering instead of way down in the corner. Cause you're not gonna be looking down there while doing platforming, and it's way too small to watch in your peripheral.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah not gonna lie as of now I've been basically looking at the meter *after* using it during platforming, for that very reason
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

pls patch