(shouting)

the end of a-side

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: the end of a-side, the start of another

Post by Awoo »

Classtoise wrote: 4 years ago
raocow wrote: 4 years ago what no

What I mean is that, if there were still two distinct list, if one games go long it clogs up one list but the other list continues fine. By having one single row that splits, if one game goes long the 'head' can still let things through normally
So if I'm understanding right, "Oh, VIP 6 is out, but I'm still playing Donkey Kong 64", we'd theoretically get evening VIP 6 instead of "this happens ONLY in the morning when this game is done"?

I am probably WAY over complicating a simple concept but when don't I haha
raocow's jump will jump when it wants to jump, not necessarily when he wants it to
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: the end of a-side

Post by Ditocoaf »

Classtoise wrote: 4 years ago
raocow wrote: 4 years ago what no

What I mean is that, if there were still two distinct list, if one games go long it clogs up one list but the other list continues fine. By having one single row that splits, if one game goes long the 'head' can still let things through normally
So if I'm understanding right, "Oh, VIP 6 is out, but I'm still playing Donkey Kong 64", we'd theoretically get evening VIP 6 instead of "this happens ONLY in the morning when this game is done"?

I am probably WAY over complicating a simple concept but when don't I haha
Yeah, I think the idea is, whichever game (morning or evening) ends first, he'd put the next game he wants to play in that slot. One Big List*, which things like VIP 6 can still jump to the front of.

I mean, there's a chance he'd swap a game-in-progress from the morning slot to the evening slot, because it'd feel weird to publish Mario in the evening? But the fact that he's doing this "end of a-side" thing says to me that he's over that.

*I'm guessing he might make an exception when the game at the front of The List is too similar to the one game he's playing, but the other slot gets an opening first. In that case I imagine there's a chance he'd wait, to preserve some variety. But the a-side b-side paradigm is obsolete because there are currently more types of games that he plays than there are sides, so arbitrarily dividing them into two categories is silly.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I would like to mention that the Mario side used to come in the evening for some time until some point during MAGLX2, when the contest was switched over to morning
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I remember waking up to early morning Marios in high school so I dunno when this weird evening period occurred or why I don't remember it but sure
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

IIRC it was around when he started his patreon and went back to 2 videos a day. The Mario was in the evening and the other game was in the morning.

His EVO break one year happened to occur during MaGLX 2, so he went down to doing just MaGLX 2 that week in the morning, and it's been mario in the morning ever since.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

I mean, it doesn't sound like the a-side and b-sides are actually going to end, just that they're going to be drawn from a combined list from now on if I understand correctly.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Got ultra clickbaited by this title not gonna lie

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

rip side, whichever side that is
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KayhemMaus
I keep breaking my face on SMBX
First name: KM
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by KayhemMaus »

Wait, sides actually meant something? I just thought it was a denotation of morning/evening (and afternoon when the C sides came in) uploads. I guess I don't pay attention to anything! XD

Also wow, DK64... what a run that's going to be.
nyoro~n n~yoron

I love it
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Are there any lists out there for the remaining A and B games or is it just going to be a mystery untill we suddenly hit the end and start the Patapon votes?
:pal: Image :pal:

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

there's a thread just for that in the let's play forum! check for 'COMING UP NEXT' thread!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Oh cool! Thanks! :rao:
:pal: Image :pal:

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

In case you didn't notice in the channel, an announcement:

Note that there's a slight change in what's planned. If I understood correctly,

Old Format

Slot A (Morning): Mario (or DK, Kirby, related Nintendo franchise)

Slot B (Afternoon): Non-Mario, generally

Slot C (Night): Franchise marathon, currently Sonic

New Format

Slot A1 (Mon-Fri Morning): Game 1

Slot A2 (Sat-Sun Morning): Mario contest

Slot B (Afternoon): Game 2

Slot C (Night): Franchise marathon, currently Sonic

My impression as of now is that I don't have much to say, except for one concern: is MAGLX3 going to be allocated to the weekend contest slot? That could take over a year. And I feel that hogging up that slot for that long would defeat the purpose of a slot made specifically to showcase contests.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago My impression as of now is that I don't have much to say, except for one concern: is MAGLX3 going to be allocated to the weekend contest slot? That could take over a year. And I feel that hogging up that slot for that long would defeat the purpose of a slot made specifically to showcase contests.
My interpretation of the video (or perhaps my subconscious preference) is that the weekend slot will be reserved for the smaller contests, and the morning/evening slot will be used for the larger scale contests. For example, CLDC 2020 and 24hoSMW #12, which were mentioned, have ~60 entries. So at a rate of four levels a day, they would each take about two months to finish. The bigger contests like VLDC and MaGLX3 have well over 100 entries, so yeah, I think it would drag on in the weekend slot. Some clarification on this would be great.

My question is, would these weekend videos be a bit longer on average to compensate for the lower frequency (i.e., playing more levels a day), or will they just be typical recording sessions?
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

PSI Ninja wrote:the weekend slot will be reserved for the smaller contests, and the morning/evening slot will be used for the larger scale contests
one nuance is that I figure if there's a mario contest going on in the main slot that would also take over the weekends (otherwise it'd be playing a double side of mario, which, is kind of the opposite of the point of this)
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

maglx3 would be a 'main' game since it's a talkhaus production, specifically

I would put vldc as a week-end event. like personally I'm not too concerned with how long it would take to go through the submissions. The point is that it's a nice source of usually quality, completely disconnected mario levels that can be enjoyed essentially context-less.
raocow

Post by raocow »

so I made a post on youtube itself but I figured I could extend the conversation here too:

any thoughts on not having the mario week-end and just going full-on double B ? A big part of the reason for the week-end contest was to keep some mario alive but I did not anticipate so much encouragement for just having mario being an occasional thing. feels like there are a lot more people concerned about week-end only series.

I didn't anticipate this, haha
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

i like the idea of contest-side because there's occasionally the feeling of contests "eating up" a spot, like especially how when maglx2 took like a year. i think working through them as a slow burn on the weekends is a nice little snack, personally. though i guess some people might consider the format to become stale after a while, so i think it might be worth trying it out for one or two contests and then seeing how it works out.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

eat mario

NOM NOM NOM
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Personally I like the idea of the Mario contest weekends. While you do play a lot of really good non-Mario games, a lot of people did start watching you for the Mario. So having it too rare would probably be an issue for a decent amount of people.

Also:
Grounder wrote: 3 years agoeat mario

NOM NOM NOM
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

raocow, if i'm willing to watch you play Sonic Heroes 15 different times, i'm willing to watch just about anything. That being said, I don't feel any need for there to be Mario stuff, even if it can be pretty enjoyable.
ImageImage
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I like the Mario Weekend idea as long as it's an unrelated contest like VLDC. Anything like a YUMP 69(nice), A2XT2 or if SMWC magically finished SMWCP2, I'd want as a main attraction. That's just me though.

Edit: Oh there's a video that says exactly that. Perfect!
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Honestly, I like the idea of this whole "D-Side on the weekends" thing. My only issue is that I'd rather it wait until the A-Sides actually end rather than immediately after this A-Side. I mean...we keep pushing the end back. We've added 3 or 4 games to the A-Side list since the announcement that A-Sides would officially end. And right now, I'm almost certain DK64 is going to be a long LP (I'm guessing at least 50-60 videos), which combined with the ASMT anniversary re-LP means that by themselves it's going to be another 3-4 months before we see the end of A-Sides without two days every week being taken out of the equation. With that added in immediately after this...That's another couple months, pushed back. I always suspected 2021 would be when A-Sides would end, but now I'm starting to doubt that. MaGLX3 will almost certainly be out at some point next year, for one. If you add the D-Sides, it's almost certain it'll be put immediately after ASMT re-LP.

I feel like it's just a little unfair to Patapons who have been patiently waiting for the morning slot to open up to more games. Don't get me wrong, the creation of the Royal Suggestion/Public Vote is a great thing. But part of the reason it was created in the first place was because it took so long for Patapon inputs to come into play. And this just seems to be a repeat of the same problem, to a lesser degree. I mean...it's been more than a year since you announced the end of the A-Sides, and nearly a year since the announcement of the Royal Suggestion/Public Vote. I feel like with each new game and this development, we're just kicking the can down the road. The D-Sides can wait until after we clear the backlog, I feel.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow

Post by raocow »

that is extremely fair

immediate edit: the whole week-end contest is the part I'm still most ambivalent about. like I don't know if I want to make it happen or not. but if I do go with it, waiting after the a-side is truly over is the better call, I now agree with this.