(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A New Wind Blows

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Pounding the Pavement

Post by Grounder »

So long, K. Rool Kountry.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

The main reason why Donkey Kong Country 2 stands out to me as such a classic game is its incredible sense of atmosphere. Like yes, it's a game where you beat up pirate-themed reptiles as two cartoon monkeys, but at the same time, everything else about the game, from its environments to its music, has such a dark, somber, and often beautiful tone to it. "Ghostly Grove" is the perfect example of this; the way those huge rays of light shine in from behind the trees, that ghostly wail the ropes make when they appear and disappear, the amazingly serene and haunting background music... The juxtaposition between the difficult platforming action and the game's aesthetics really makes this a unique experience.

Shoutouts to David Wise

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

RIP butt.smc
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I wonder if enough time has passed for me to enjoy playing this game again.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

if brouzouf isnt used as a title i will be sad
: (
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This is making me wonder if I should replay DKC3 before raocow gets to it. It was one of my favorite games as a kid. I'm also curious about difficulty, since most of this LP has been me being surprised at how the difficulty isn't what it is to a kid.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Is that finishing screen something you get for collecting all the DK coins? Cause I've beaten Krokodile Kore before but I don't remember that screen at all. I never did find a handful of the DK coins though.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Kinda surprised the true final boss was only a single hit.
Congrats on beating the game! was a fun watch. Not sure what to make of DKC3, i really don't like kiddy's design.
ImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Crunchy wrote: 4 years ago
if brouzouf isnt used as a title i will be sad
: (
sorry man :( I don't recognise that unit :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Part of me wonders if that was originally going to be the last phase of the final boss but someone at rare wisely told them no that's too much so they decided "well screw you but okay but we're keeping it anyways"
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Pounding the Asphault

Post by Awoo »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Part of me wonders if that was originally going to be the last phase of the final boss but someone at rare wisely told them no that's too much so they decided "well screw you but okay but we're keeping it anyways"
Yeah, imagine having to do that after a fake "kredits" screen like DKC 1. I imagine that frustrated many a play-tester back in the day.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- I Passed

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago I'm gonna guess that it's Poisonous Pipeline ? If so then I agree that that one isn't terribly great either. It'd be a lot more tolerable if jumping out of the water wasn't such an issue.
Indeed. I ne’er had trouble with that level, ’specially after “Lightning Lookout”, but it’s just such a dumb, lazy, & trite gimmick —

¡& it’s the last level! In fact, this level is so forgettable that I used to forget ’twas the last level & would always remember the much better “Koindozer Klamber” as the last level

I should probably wait till the actual DKC3 LP to talk ’bout it mo’, but I’m a bit less down on it compared to other people. I don’t think it’s as good as DKC2, but I think it’s better than all the others. It has a lot o’ jank, but it also has a lot o’ creative gimmicks you’d ne’er see in most platformers, which we will see when raocow plays it.

Today’s video reminded me: I know it’s futile to complain ’bout it decades later, ¿but why did so many ol’ games not save lives? I know SRAM was limited, but look @ all the stuff these ol’ games saved. ¿They couldn’t spare 1 mo’ byte? E’en Super Mario Galaxy didn’t save lives. ¿Could the Wii’s hard drive not handle such humongous data as a single byte?
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Cranky's hint for Animal Antics:

"The end is not the end." I took it to mean that when you get to the end of a section, the level keeps going, but if you really want to, you can interpret it as "there's more behind the exit barrel in the Squitter section", as a hint for the bonus barrel.

The GBA port moved the star barrel from the start of the Squitter section in the jungle to before the Squawks section in the brambles zone. I would say it makes the level more reasonable since you can return right at the challenging part

and also because Rattly section has an extended segment to the left of where you start the section, for a GBA-exclusive collectible.

Looking back, I think DKC2 got way obsessed with brambles. There's a bunch of levels where you suddenly transition from a different theme to brambles when you enter a bonus, and two of the last levels (Animal Antics and Screech's Sprint) also deal with them.

But, good game and it retains the charm it had when I played it as one of the first video games I ever played.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- I Passed

Post by Alice »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago

¡& it’s the last level! In fact, this level is so forgettable that I used to forget ’twas the last level & would always remember the much better “Koindozer Klamber” as the last level

I have the exact same issue, lol. Though Koindozer Klamber is my favorite level in the final world too so it easily overshadows the others there for me anyways.