(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A New Wind Blows

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- House of Evolution

Post by ano0maly »

:pal: Rickety Race :pal:

I'm wondering what the point was of having Squawks crates instead of transformation barrels. You can't manually hop off Squawks (because the bird is required) and getting hit makes you lose a kong rather than the bird. When you ride him all it does is make your hitbox bigger than when you just become him. Yes the kongs below Squawks are not affected by bramble floors, but I don't know if that's even intentional.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Pass-through walls that look like damage walls are atrocious design, even if you include a hint system... even that lovely music can't offset how bad that it is to me.
It's this, and compounded by the fact that the first pass-through wall requires a jump instead of just being walk-through, and that you need to go through a SECOND one to actually get the DK coin, which is just mean. As mean as hiding a DK coin inside a bonus... :sandwich:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Demo Productions Presents: A raocow Moment (ft. the Jungle Japes Stickerbrush Symphony)
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago :pal: Rickety Race :pal:

I'm wondering what the point was of having Squawks crates instead of transformation barrels. You can't manually hop off Squawks (because the bird is required) and getting hit makes you lose a kong rather than the bird. When you ride him all it does is make your hitbox bigger than when you just become him. Yes the kongs below Squawks are not affected by bramble floors, but I don't know if that's even intentional.
Exactly the point, riding Squawks gives you a bigger hitbox and gives you safe passage on the bramble floor.

It also changes Squawks physics a bit, with him being more sluggish, and a bit slower. He also spits eggs faster.

It does seem trivial at first, but it DOES make a big difference in how you play.

Also, another minor thing about brambles is that the top of brambles don't hurt you if you're the kongs.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I actually consider “Bramble Scramble” 1 o’ my favorite levels, ’cept for the stupid “walk through thing that looks like thing you can’t walk through” puzzles. Rather than going straight left to right, as is very common throughout DKC games ( I think DKC2 & DKC3 are the only games that have this, with maybe 1 or 2 awful water levels in Tropical Freeze ). It packs in so many clever minigimmicks like dodging the cannon balls on the vine & adds twists to its repeated mechanics to keep them from getting monotonous, like moving from dodging Zingers on a straight horizontal path to dodging Zingers in a circle, all while keeping everything to the bramble gimmick. & while everyone thinks o’ Squawks when they think o’ this level, I like that this level breaks up the Squawks sections with normal movement to give you a break.

O’erall, the level feels like it has the best balance o’ keeping patterns & adding new material.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Modern Art

Post by SAJewers »

Fun anecdote about Klobber Karnage: a dkc2 bug was recently found in the level: https://github.com/byuu/bsnes/issues/10

might be a fun thing to show off tomorrow
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Klobber Karnage is such a good level.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Funky: *wants to get paid for his work*

raocow:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

KobaBeach confirmed for contributing the "Baboon Booty" quiz name to this game
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

<3
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago Funky: *wants to get paid for his work*

raocow:
I mean, he did admit in the spotzone that he was a cheapskate and didn't want to give funky a cent of his hard-earned money (i may be exaggerating here)
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

When I 1st played “Klobber Karnage” I was infuriated @ how hard I found it, losing mo' than 50 lives trying to beat it. Guess what “system” I played it on.

I remember, too, afterward watching this level on an LP o’ some people e’en less competent @ this game than I was, eager to see how they screwed it up, only to hear them casually say after 1st getting hit, “O yeah, that Zsnes bug” & I went ballistic.

Looking @ it now, though, as someone much better @ the game & not using ancient emulators, it looks cleverly designed. 1 good thing DKC2 did was keep level gimmicks from taking o’er their entire level. Here, the main gimmick is those rotating barrels, but they're still broken up with sections with the Klobbers, made much harder with the rising steps, so you can't just jump o'er them as easily as almost everywhere else in the game.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
SAJewers

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- The Secret to Strength

Post by SAJewers »

fun fact: in revision 1.1, King Zing was made faster

https://dkcspeedruns.com/Version_Differ ... _Country_2
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Rambi Rumble's first half is weirdly janky and confusing, it's not just you, raocow. It's very easy to get lost, or think "hey a secret" and just land one floor down, not knowing where to go anymore. The jumps down the honey chute around bees are also pretty bad and feel like garbage.

The actual Rambi part is great, though.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, to answer your question some species of insect do have kings. In the case of bees (and wasps/hornets to my knowledge) they don't though. But in this case you couldn't have fought the queen since you kinda murdered her last game. So this fight is clearly a life lesson about how self-destructive revenge is. The king met the same fate as his queen, murdered by a couple of monkeys.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Having raocow mention the manual made me dig it out. I forgot they had a detailed plot in it.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 124916.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 124923.jpg
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

When I was a kid, I found King Zing extremely difficult. My preferred strategy was to be a coward and sit in the entryway for most of the fight. Usually took a hell of a long time to beat him that way.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The ghost rope things are seriously like... I don't know, cute? I'm not sure the word I'm looking for! But they're neat.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 4 years ago The ghost rope things are seriously like... I don't know, cute? I'm not sure the word I'm looking for! But they're neat.
Endearing? Moe.

Also, just noticed cranky's got a god damn decapitated kremling in his hut.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Childhood Facts

-I thought the cat o nine tails was supposed to be sonic the hedgehog
-King Zing was the big deal too hard boss for me. I preferred to hide in the beginning alcove because leaving was too scary! And then you can't save for a few levels in haunted hollow... yikes!
-The idea of a world being half beehives half amusement park was very novel and cool
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

To answer the Bee-mongerer's question about Insect Monarchy. The simple answer.
Isoptera, the termites, have Kings and Queens which birth entire colonies.
Hyemnoptera, the bees and ants, only have queens, the males are called drones and are haploid.

Instead of queen sometimes the word gyne is used. Gyne refers to female members of a colony which are involved in reproduction. Monogynous colonies are dominated by a single member involved in reproduction.

Also the Hymenoptera stinger is a modified ovipositer so males cannot sting, because they don't have ovipositers. (Yes King Zing Sting is wrong)

The long answer: Insect eusociality has evolved multiple times. In Hymenoptera, eusociality has arisen atleast eleven different times. In termites it is thought to have only evolved once. Eusociality has also arisen in gall forming Thysanoptera, thrips, and in galling aphids as well. Some spiders also demonstrate sociality as they reside in communal webs.

Hymenoptera demonstrate Arrhenotoky, which is where females can lay unfertilized eggs giving birth to haploid male offspring also known as drones. Those drones can then mate with diploid females which then produce more diploid females. This system of sex determination by chromosome number, which is universal in hymenoptera, is often referred to as Haplodiploidy. And Haplodiploidy is thought to predispose Hymenoptera toward eusociality.

Because of the way the genetics work, which I can explain if wanted. A worker bee is more closely related to her own sisters than to potential sons or daughters. She carries half of her mother's genes and all of her father's genes, and her sisters share 75% of her genes. Because the worker bee shares more genes with her sisters than her potential offspring, it's more fit for her to invest in the survival of her sisters and the queen's offspring than her own.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Best moment of the day (with the Klampon)

That Kloak there at the start, if you wait long enough,

he comes back down from offscreen and tosses a chest containing a 1-up balloon.

And Mudhole Marsh yesterday was surprisingly rompish, feeling out of place among the more memorable levels. It's fun, but there's no real theme to it and nothing introduced besides a few Cat-O’-Nine-Tails.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

klampon sounds like tampon
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago klampon sounds like tampon
I am glad it was not only my brain with this particular AutoCorrect
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- The Secret to Strength is Bees. All of Them.

Post by Awoo »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago The Bee-mongerer

:pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image