(shouting)

Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A New Wind Blows

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
xnamkcor

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Saitama

Post by xnamkcor »

A Kiln is a small man-made cave used to make earthenware.

It is almost, but not completely unlike an autoclave, but slightly less musical.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- Subterraneans of Darkness

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago It's pretty much par for the course for raocow. If it's easy he's going to inexplicably struggle with it a weird amount. If it's hard then he'll struggle with it a lot less than the easy stuff. I dunno why it's like that for him but he's fairly consistent about it.
Yep. He already did this ’gain with “Squawks’s Shaft”: he has trouble with the barrel sections that I hardly think ’bout, & then zips through the much harder Squawks section like a boss.
Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago Oh, and one more positive thing to end on: most people hate SMW water levels (I know raocow doesn't) because they're slow, you can't kill enemies, etc. - well, DKC2 has always handled the Water Problem super elegantly, imho: this is afair the only level in the game where you're always (with the final room to allow you a standardized goal jump excepted) under water. All the other mainly water levels have to dip in and out, allowing you moments of free-flow gameplay, killing enemies, and so on. It's imho quite brilliant and also something the new king of platforming (for me), Rayman Origins, excels at.
This exception to a great rule, in addition to the trite & just-annoying darkness “gimmick” & hiding everything ’hind move-throughable solid blocks, makes “Glimmer’s Galleon” my least favorite level in the game.

2 other reasons water levels are so despised, e’en though these reasons don’t have to be, is that you move slowly &, mo’ importantly, you can’t kill enemies underwater, e’en though it makes no sense. ¿Why does landing on a turtle’s head ’bove-ground hurt the turtle & not you, but landing on a fish’s head hurts you? I know gravity’s weaker underwater, ¿but how does that make a fish’s head painful? I feel water level’s would be funner if they just let you bop enemies underwater like ’bove-water.

While I like Winky & am sad he’s neglected, 1 other reason Rattly is better than Winky: his level is a highlight o’ this game, while e’en raocow acknowledged that “Winky’s Walkway” is a generic level that feels just thrown together in a minute.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- A Mysterious Attack

Post by 10204307 »

The main reason why I don't like Glimmer's Galleon is because for some reason the devs felt the need to blind the player every time they turn around. Without that, the level would be basically fine, since the darkness doesn't really obscure that much of the level.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Now, how can we differentiate our thought process to be any different from "biological programming" ourselves? Is it because we have the highest form of thought consciousness that we are aware of? And what would happen if there was an even higher being with a way of thinking that we could not comprehend, would we be reduced to "biological programming" then? What would happen if we stopped being the leaders of the bunch?

In this Donkey Kong Country 2 let's play, I will be digging deeper into these and many other philosphical enquiries.
ImageImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Krockhead Klamber is lowkey one of the best levels in this game. It flows so well!

The jump with Rattly up through the row of barrels shot at you is super hard indeed and I got stuck there for a while! Always mars the level for me personally. Of course, Slime Climb isn't eaaaasy either, but it's more overall difficult and stressful and made me less angry at That One Jump, somehow.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago
The jump with Rattly up through the row of barrels shot at you is super hard indeed and I got stuck there for a while! Always mars the level for me personally. Of course, Slime Climb isn't eaaaasy either, but it's more overall difficult and stressful and made me less angry at That One Jump, somehow.
You can actually get above the barrel with normal jump, without using supercharge jump.

A cool novelty with Rattle Battle is that if you skip the Star Barrel, transform back into kongs and then go back to get the checkpoint, you restart from there as kongs when you retry. And this level is actually beatable from the exit door at the start to the end with the kongs, although there's a few spots where you need Dixie glide or teamwork. And if you enter a bonus level you get a free Rattly you can ride that carries out of the bonus.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

The sound most Kremlings make when defeated during chipmunk mode is something I find far funnier than I really should.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah there's kind of a reason why I've been heavy with the chipmunking instead of cuts for this game :P
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow, how could you mispronounce "quay"? It's a flipping French loanword (albeit it with /ɛ/ parsed as /i/ for some reason*).

Rattle Battle is hands down my favorite stage in the game. The weird, surreal palette affected me deeply as a child (and influenced the æsthetic of my dreams at the time), the music is just amazing, and the level's just so fun to bounce around in. None of this can be said of the distinctly unmemorable Stinky's Smell, the equivalent DKC hopping animal friend level.

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Now, how can we differentiate our thought process to be any different from "biological programming" ourselves? Is it because we have the highest form of thought consciousness that we are aware of? And what would happen if there was an even higher being with a way of thinking that we could not comprehend, would we be reduced to "biological programming" then? What would happen if we stopped being the leaders of the bunch?
Presumably we'd stop assuming there was something intrinsically shameful about notion that our brains, like everything else in the universe, function according to the laws of physics, and cease neurotically insisting that the self only counts as the self if it's somehow separate from any and all identifiable things that we actually consider to be part of ourselves.

* This is, admittedly common for final /ɛ/ and /e/ for older French, Italian, and to a lesser degree Spanish loanwords. The same holds for parsing /o/ as /u/ (rather than expected /oʊ/), though I've at least met English speakers who actually hear /o/ as /u/, but never any who heard /e/ and especially /ɛ/ as anything other than English /eɪ/.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 4 years ago
Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Now, how can we differentiate our thought process to be any different from "biological programming" ourselves? Is it because we have the highest form of thought consciousness that we are aware of? And what would happen if there was an even higher being with a way of thinking that we could not comprehend, would we be reduced to "biological programming" then? What would happen if we stopped being the leaders of the bunch?
Presumably we'd stop assuming there was something intrinsically shameful about notion that our brains, like everything else in the universe, function according to the laws of physics, and cease neurotically insisting that the self only counts as the self if it's somehow separate from any and all identifiable things that we actually consider to be part of ourselves.
thoughts are indeed part of the physical world. Just like how one can control their arm muscles, one can control their own thoughts. When your muscle does work, it changes as a result. The brain is kind of the same way. Even if it is "biologically programmed", its programming can be altered, changing constantly through the lifespan.

In order for one to be aware of the truth, one must become aware of themselves. One must become aware of their awareness. One must detach from their "self" and learn to simply observe reality through many perspectives other than their own.

(realizes this is topic about a game about monkeys)

... Only then one will find all the bonus rooms... ?
video games
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

10204307 wrote: 4 years ago The main reason why I don't like Glimmer's Galleon is because for some reason the devs felt the need to blind the player every time they turn around. Without that, the level would be basically fine, since the darkness doesn't really obscure that much of the level.
I wouldn't consider it awful; just lame.

& I'd like to take back what I said ’bout “Glimmer’s Galleon” being the worst level — there’s a level I find far worse later on.

& it isn’t any bramble level, “Toxic Tower”, or any o’ the bonus levels.

If everyone's going to philosophize ’bout bees round here, I’m going to bring in boring ol' economics wherein ¡Rrring Bing! Karlos Marukasu claims that the true difference ’tween bees & humans is that humans have imagination:
A spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects it in reality. At the end of every labour-process, we get a result that already existed in the imagination of the labourer at its commencement. He not only effects a change of form in the material on which he works, but he also realises a purpose of his own that gives the law to his modus operandi, and to which he must subordinate his will. And this subordination is no mere momentary act. Besides the exertion of the bodily organs, the process demands that, during the whole operation, the workman’s will be steadily in consonance with his purpose. This means close attention. The less he is attracted by the nature of the work, and the mode in which it is carried on, and the less, therefore, he enjoys it as something which gives play to his bodily and mental powers, the more close his attention is forced to be.
As a bonus, here’s a Marxist analysis o’ the Bee Movie with Jerry Seinfeld I stumbled on while looking for this quote.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

10204307 wrote: 4 years agoThe main reason why I don't like Glimmer's Galleon is because for some reason the devs felt the need to blind the player every time they turn around. Without that, the level would be basically fine, since the darkness doesn't really obscure that much of the level.
They did the same thing with Squawks that Torchlight Trouble level in DKC1, didn't they? It was one of the stranger decisions in those games.
Mandew
d'yo

Re: Donkey Kong Country 2 -- This Guy?

Post by Mandew »

here's a weird quirk about brambles: If you're riding Squwaks, you can touch the floor of the brambles and be unaffected (I think only when -riding- him. I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply when being transformed). Here's another weird quirk about brambles: When just being the Kongs, you can touch the ceiling of the brambles and be unaffected.
video games
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, it's kinda odd you'd comment on what's his face being a Carol-like boss considering that the previous two were the same way. The first boss slams into the ship's mast flinging eggs out of its nest at you and some of those land on the deck undamaged letting you damage it. The sword boss inexplicably has cannon balls that just randomly drop out of the sky allowing you to damage it. If you complained about any of them it makes a lot more sense to complain about the sword since there they just seem totally random instead of at least having some cause.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

I think it's just more blatant here since Kudgel -was- a boss in Brutal Mario, and also Kudgel's pattern is basically the essence of a Carol Boss without any extra fluff -- unlike Krow and Kleaver, who had that slight bit more going on than that. Also, Earthquakes/Stuns, a staple of Carol Bosses that's absent from the other two.
video games
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

The sword is awesome-looking and you always have to keep moving and dodge in various ways, including a platforming challenge mid-boss (that changes as the fight progresses!). Kudgel is just really damn boring, so it's way more noticable how simplistic the pattern really is.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah like krow and kleever, although follow the 'wait for the enemy to give you ammo' trop, at least have very dynamic encounters where you are going all over the place (mostly). Kudgel in comparison is extremely more simplistic and the pattern a lot more 'blatant'.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

I think Stickerbush Symphony might be one of the most well-known and well-remembered examples of ostinato in a video game, and for good reason. That five-note motif repeats throughout the entire song, never changing except for that little "beebeep" stinger at the end of every fourth measure, while the lush chords underneath it gradually change. The result is a song that leaves the listener in a sort of trance, a song that feels both ethereal and driving, which is perfect for the amount of precision that the bramble levels require. It's no surprise that many people have fond memories of these levels in spite of how difficult they can be.

One of my favorite YouTube channels, 8-bit Music Theory, did a great video about ambient music in the Donkey Kong Country series, which touches on Stickerbush Symphony a bit, as well as another classic DKC2 song we'll hear later on, Forest Interlude. I highly recommend checking it out if you enjoy the DKC soundtrack:
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Actually, many dictionaries list “kwā” as a valid pronunciation, though it’s not the main 1 & isn't the original pronunciation, & I think that may be dictionaries accommodating common mispronunciations.

It should be no surprise by now that English pronunciation has no logical connection to spelling & that every new word you see can have any arbitrary pronunciation, which is why I’d learn I’ve been pronouncing words like “paradigm” wrong for years e’en into my 20s.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Stickerbrush Symphony has the achievement of being the first song I ever heard mashed up with the theme for the Fresh Prince. Truly an impressive accolade.

Also, if there were kremlings in Vietnam according to raocow, then DK's family would be the Viet Kong, right?
(Note: this was just a pun and i did not mean anything by it)
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The ice tileset is introduced in

world 6 (K. Rool's Keep), but here we get to see it way early, albeit without any water

. And I really like In a Snow-Bound Land, the music for these ice levels. People talk about how they like Ice Cave Chant from the first DKC but I think In a Snow-Bound Land is better with its soothing, calming feel. And I said this before in talkhaus but the two names feel mixed up, given that the setting of the former is more snowy and the setting of the latter is more ice-based.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Man, I never realized just how blatantly DKC2 ripped off so many SMW hacks! I mean, that ice cave music, which is like, *the* go-to music for ice stages in SMW hacks... and the bramble level, another staple of SMW hacks... and then to end with a Carol boss! Truly, Rare has no shame.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I've never seen DKC2's mood replicated by another game, it's honestly bizarre. It's so somber, the music and graphics imbue it with a strange reverence that's bigger than the gameplay would ever suggest.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't get the appeal of Stickerbush Symphony. It's not a bad song, but I've never considered it a god-tier track like people praise it.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

In contrast, I very much am one of the people who loves it, it's my second-favorite track in video game history.