(shouting)

Peach's Memory - Memorabilia

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Re: Peach's Memory - 16 - COMA

Post by Gardenolva »

Man, one last Star to go. You're really killing Bowser's Level and it's impressive.

Since, this LP is going to end by tomorrow, I would like to apologize for a 5 month long dib on hosting this specific LP. Excitement got into me at that time.

Now, for some thanks. I would like to thank Daniel_EDC for making this wonderful hack. It"s short but sweet, and the difficulty caters well to all types of people in general. People who gave me some compliments, especially Peliptia (sorry for the late thanks). And of course, raocow for playing yet another SM64 rom hack, it really got you out of your comfort zone and we, as your viewers enjoyed your gameplay.

Dunno if this is gonna be my first and last LP to host, but if giving an opportunity to host an LP again, I wish it could be another SM64 hack.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Oh no! Bowser overheard our plan to go to a foreign land and steal their priceless magical treasure, so he went to the foreign land to steal their priceless magical treasure? That fiend!

So long :pride2: Bowser
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

fun mario facts!

those rotating platforms around a four-pointed star raocow encountered before the caged star, unless they've been changed from vanilla, have a huge collision bug! although visually, the star is centered on the wheel and rotates around that center thusly, its hitbox actually has it centered on one of the platforms—but it still rotates around the center of the whole wheel! this gives the impression that it's just rotating on one of its star points.

actually i should've been doing fun facts i learned from pannenkoek videos this whole time, shouldn't i have. what a marketing opportunity i missed.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you'll have to wait until the next 64 hack!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I'm sad this is ending tomorrow. We were so close to raocow playing three 3D Platformers at the same time.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

You saying Sonic R ain't a 3D Platformer? :P
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Peach's Memory - 17 (FINAL) - Nightmare in Dreamland

Post by Awoo »

So, no DK64 next?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Peach's Memory - 17 (FINAL) - Nightmare

Post by raocow »

to be fair it was never goign to be next
I will play it eventually though
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yeah Okami is next
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Okay raocow, the thing that you are actually doing with a lot of frequency with those wallkicks is actually kinda sick. You're constantly pulling off firsties, which as their name would imply, are first frame wall kicks- You are doing this because it seems like you think the timing window is smaller than it actually is, and has made things harder for you, but it is no less sick.

Also, as for that part where you triple jump dive, after the wall jumps, I'm pretty sure you're meant to double/triple jump wall-kick into the wall and hold back to grab on to the ledge. (And since you asked, no, you can't grab a ledge after a triple jump)

And that one time you died on the slide I think is (and don't quote me on this one) because you were holding forward at the moment you jumped, making you lose the momentum- For that type of thing you usually have to hold forward to gain speed and then let go when you jump.

Man, that last level was rough! But it was a bonus level, after all.
Last edited by Piesonscreations 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Wow, at about 21:18 on the video raocow sounds more livid for a moment that I can ever remember hearing him.

"Let me get control back you monster."

It had the tone of a parent that just lost their last ounce of patience with a misbehaving kid. XD
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

and here we have the definitive statement on why platforming in mario 64 is not a good idea. really janky, stiff platforming mechanics and complete inability to checkpoint makes for immensely frustrating & unfun levels
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

well that was incredibly jarring
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

aaaah⚟thatwasamazings〜! i was super duper nervous through a big chunk of the video, and gosh was that final jump awesome✧゚super super great work rao^▽^
ImageImage
Piesonscreations

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago and here we have the definitive statement on why platforming in mario 64 is not a good idea. really janky, stiff platforming mechanics and complete inability to checkpoint makes for immensely frustrating & unfun levels
I can assure you that no one with a good grasp of the mechanics would call them stiff. Janky? Sure, often enough, but good SM64 play is super fluid. Also, checkpoints have become pretty commonplace recently in SM64 romhacks, and I don't doubt they'll keep on appearing.
This comment just seems to me like it is super reductive of what you can actually do in this game. I'm not saying you have to find it fun, because often times it'll be frustrating, but uh, "definitive statement" seems a bit too much.
ImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Alright if I'm being fair the super extra bonus level in the first 64 hack raocow played years ago was awful too
Piesonscreations

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Alright if I'm being fair the super extra bonus level in the first 64 hack raocow played years ago was awful too
Oh yeah, these bonus levels are usually just meant for seasoned players, and if he ever tries something like Mario & The Cursed Castles, he should keep that in mind- and like, the devs usually take into account that if something is too difficult, people can use savestates.

raocow has kept his savestate-less tradition from SMW even though he got to the point where he could let go of savestates in SMW because he had gained enough experience in using them and having them as a crutch would've meant he was stunting his own growth as a player. But he does not have that kind of experience in SM64. And to be fair, he is very much playing at a level to be expected for someone who has only played as many SM64 romhacks as he has! (and with no grand knowledge of the base game.)

Although one thing I have to mention is that he had learned a few things with Last Impact that he forgot here that would've helped. Like being able to kick up slopes, instead of having to do that triple jump where he kept sliding down and falling to his death.
ImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

He tried kicking up the very first slope in the level and it wasn't working out
Piesonscreations

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago He tried kicking up the very first slope in the level and it wasn't working out
He was performing them wrong. Instead of holding A and staying on the ground while then pressing B, he was jumping and pressing B to kick, thus sliding off once he landed.
Although, I do have to say that I missed that he tried that, so my bad.
ImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Also to be clear I liked most of this hack I just thought this last level was terrible
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

bing bing wahoo yipee
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I dipped out of the LP early so that I could play along, and I finally caught up for the last episode. Just some thoughts:

Unlike the other two SM64 hacks raocow played, this game seemed to abandon the exploration aspect in favor of a more athletic feel, with a lot of dangerous platforming that punishes small mistakes. There are a lot of the same walljump setups and repetitive double/long jumping between platforms. The Odyssey rooms contain a lot of tight platforming on teeny tiny platforms, which was really stressful. Like raocow, I'm an older gamer raised on 2D platformers and I have trouble with depth perception in 3D games. Though I died a lot, the worlds are small enough that the iteration time wasn't that long. As far as aesthetics go, the game is plain-looking compared to SM Star Road and Last Impact, but it wasn't ugly.

The Metal Cap lava hopping and Vanish Cap speedruns were good ideas, but the speedruns were really tight due to the decreased duration of the Vanish Cap. I guess that was the point. I was relieved that the Wing Cap was pretty much only used to glide over long distances, because I was never good at flying around with it in the original game. Since it was never used for more than that, it seemed a bit pointless to me. The momentum long jumping off the Grindels in Course 4 was cool, I never knew about that interaction. Of course, it was scary to have to do that over instant death quicksand.

The postgame gauntlet was extremely long with tricky jumps on small platforms and angled walljumps towards the end. Every move you have to make is like a little puzzle you need to figure out. I was stuck on the two ramps after the pipe for a long time. What makes it so that Mario slides on his butt instead of his belly? Do you have to approach the ramp from a downwards angle or something? Looks like raocow had the most trouble with the walljumps at the start, but nailed them towards the end where it counted.

Overall, I enjoyed the hack and the LP. Without a doubt, raocow is getting better at the SM64 engine. First time he beat one without savestates. Also, the 60 fps chipmunking is glorious.
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Peach's Nightmare was pretty much where the difficulty got steeped in this hack, fitting for it to be a post game level.

Cursed Castles have this similar post game setup but it's much harder than Peach's Nightmare overall.

Cyril wrote: Also to be clear I liked most of this hack I just thought this last level was terrible
It would be more horrible if that stage has 8 red coins, which will be more tedious to do when dying too many times.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Piesonscreations

Gardenolva wrote: 4 years ago

Cursed Castles have this similar post game setup but it's much harder than Peach's Nightmare overall.

The only thing that makes this even rougher is that using savestates breaks the textures and the moving clouds in the stage all turn pitch black. Even though Foxen caught this in testing, he couldn't come up with a solution and just wanted to get the thing out. (So much so that the first version released actually had a pipe to the credits room just behind where you spawn left in lol)

ImageImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

SpoonyBardOL wrote: 4 years ago Wow, at about 21:18 on the video raocow sounds more livid for a moment that I can ever remember hearing him.

"Let me get control back you monster."

It had the tone of a parent that just lost their last ounce of patience with a misbehaving kid. XD
I don't know, raocow spat out some pretty heavy indignation when the Blue Bomber achievement popped up at the end of Mighty Number 9