(shouting)

Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, this is a stick-up. Kindly hand over your things.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your vests

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I thought this secret level was a pretty alright level, although it has a pretty rough start. First there's that bubble enemy, which I agree is the most annoying enemy to deal with, and the ice physics and bottomless pit certainly don't make things easier. Then, directly above where you start there's an elevator that's highly likely to squish you against the ceiling. It looks like raocow didn't activate it though, and that's really the best way to deal with it. Anyway, once I got past the start it was smooth sailing from there, and I found the rest of the level to be pretty fun.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like this game is a legit really solid platformer, it's kind of easy to forget since it also does so many other things
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I remember the first time raocow played 3-1 people said that it was a good money farming spot, and watching raocow play through it now I realize that they certainly weren't kidding. At the start raocow had just under 6000 money, but after going through that secret area then finishing the level he had well over 7000. While I'm talking about 3-1, one thing I found amusing here is that in my own playthrough I wound up using the robot suit in the spike filled underwater area both times I played through the level (and that is a section that the robot suit is not really well suited for).

The secret level is short, but it's pretty fun. The ending is a bit awkward though. After dying there once, I decided to see if I could destroy those mines with projectiles to get them out of the way. I happened to pick up bombs along the way, and fully powered up bombs do the trick, although I assume the other projectiles would also work.

Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Henry Hatford - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your shells

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago like this game is a legit really solid platformer, it's kind of easy to forget since it also does so many other things
Seems like they concentrated much more on the platforming/boss bits than the puzzle bits, since the puzzle section seems much less developed. There's not as much variety, and the variety that there is is pretty much determined by the enemies you encounter or defeat.

Was this a budget title when it came out? It'd certainly explain a lot
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Hangry Hatsword - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove yourselves

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Was this a budget title when it came out? It'd certainly explain a lot
According to this review from 2009, it was $30 at launch.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your moustaches

Watching raocow try to become young again when the secret chest was just off screen was amusing. Anyway, this was an interesting secret level focusing on the axe enemies and the ground smashing enemies. They tend to wait at the edge of platforms here, but with projectiles that isn't as much of a problem as it would be otherwise. One little thing that I like here is that you can use the bombs the game gives you to break some blocks on the ceiling and unleash lava on some enemies below. Of course you can just deal with them the old fashioned way but it's fun being able to use the environment to your advantage.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Something's kind of weird about the map at the end...

E: Confirmed my suspicions. Indeed, raocow, I'd recommend looking at the Skysland map again before moving on!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I'm not one to go jumping down pits, so once again I referred to raocow's video to see where the secret exit was in 2-4. (I did find something that I thought would be the secret exit, but it was actually just another blue chest.) Anyway, these secret levels were interesting, especially the autoscrolling one. It's easy to fall behind, especially if you get knocked down by an enemy, but if you try to go too far ahead you risk getting hit by something off screen.

Also, I find it amusing that raocow said he wouldn't bother matching 1-ups in combos only to end up doing so later on (at around 14:20 in the video the second hat starts flashing before raocow matches it, and that one hat gave him 2 lives).

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your watch but don't forget October 3rd 11

Post by Awoo »

"Stupid bomb always inserts itself into my life" - 24:33 timestamp

Just wait until you play

Knuckles Chaotix

, raocow nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your watch but don't forget October 3rd 11

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Just wait until you play

Knuckles Chaotix

, raocow nyoro~n
Ahahahahaha oh fuck I'm already unreasonably hype for that (hypocritical for one of the noisiest critics of

Sonic CD

, I know) and I totally forgot about that.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your monocles

After playing earlier levels it took me some time to get reacquainted with the fact that this game can be pretty hard sometimes. It doesn't help that I still haven't bought any store upgrades, and at this point it's pretty clear that the game expects you to have some upgrades by now. And while I actually enjoy the combat in this game, there's only so much I can do in those battle rooms before I get overwhelmed by enemies. This isn't to say that I'm not enjoying the game, but I'm definitely considering giving up on my self imposed challenge if things get much harder than this.

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your livers

Post by Awoo »

juice and alcohol?

How did you know what I'm drinking, raocow? :kood:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your monocles

This level is one that I liked a lot. The music is great, and I found a lot of the platforming to be pretty interesting. I especially like the 'yoku blocks'; it's interesting having them in a game where the character can wall jump off of them, and there's a lot of them, giving you a lot of freedom with how you go up them rather than restricting you to a single predefined path.

I also happened to stumble upon the secret exit in a way similar to raocow, and it looks like the secret path goes a lot faster when you're not taking the time to destroy all the enemies. Though it's also considerably more risky that way, but considering that raocow has twice as much health as me he can probably afford to take that risk.

Back on the normal path, the mud monster makes a return, but between me having the robot suit ready when getting to it, and once again not letting it escape from the puzzle, this boss gave me no trouble at all this time around.

kitikami

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your bowties

Post by kitikami »

raocow after unlocking this bonus level: People suggested I leave this alone and go ahead with the game for now, so I'll come back later.

raocow after coming back for the bonus level: Wow, this power up is amazing, I wish I had it earlier.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

5-3 is another level that I enjoyed a lot, although in this case I feel like my choice of projectile helped a lot. I used the boomerangs here, and the fully powered up boomerangs are great for letting you safely approach enemies, especially those bubble shooting guys, which I once again agree are the worst. I also was able to defeat the 'lakitu' with the robot suit both times it showed up, which also made things much easier.

The first secret level on the other hand gave me a lot of trouble. The vertical climb right at the start is tricky, but the part that gave me the most trouble was the moving spikes at the end. Getting hit by them does two hearts of damage, and most of the time I only had two hearts left when I got there, meaning I would die in one hit. And even when I did get past, the fight that comes right after would finish me off. Eventually I took the time to observe exactly how the spikes move, and I managed to get by unscathed with a robot suit ready for the upcoming fight.

LunarRainbowShyGuy

After playing the first of today's levels and seeing how short it is I had a feeling that raocow would play two levels despite saying otherwise. Anyway, I thought this second secret level was pretty neat. It's also fairly difficult though, and I died a few times, but once I stayed young long enough to use the robot suit (which may seem a bit ridiculous here but it actually works fairly well) I managed to get through. I also used the fully powered boomerang (which I luckily got from an enemy drop on my winning run) a lot to stun the enemies that shoot projectiles at you.

Speaking of the boomerangs, me using them is probably going to be a trend in the remaining levels; I still haven't bought any upgrades, and with all the powerful enemies this late in the game being able to stun lock them is pretty much the only way I can see to make my way through these levels. And 5-4 certainly isn't lacking in terms of enemies, and here they even come from behind you. My strategy here was to use the robot suit as much as possible, while making full use of the boomerangs in between uses of the robot suit, and fortunately that was enough to get through here without too much trouble.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Yes, the DS had a sleep mode.

Doesn't really solve this game's inability to know when to stop, though. It's just starting to culminate in this monstrosity.

Like, it would have been better if most of the game was sawed into halves, IMO.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This level was a long one, although strangely it didn't feel that long when I played it. I did have a pretty good time here, and as the old saying goes, time flies when you're having fun. Anyway, I managed to get through most of this level relatively smoothly, but I had trouble at the end of the lava area. I died there once, and I probably would have had a lot more trouble if I didn't find out that you can stand next to the wall and be safe from the projectiles from above.

My troubles didn't end there though, because after that you get immediately thrown into another fight, which starts with two of those bubble enemies, which are then followed up by an overwhelming amount of sword and axe enemies. I died here a few times, and it took me being able to build up a robot suit to be able to get through here. Fortunately, after that I was able to get through the rest of the level without too much more trouble.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

cole was totally being mistreated u guise!!!12

/s

Just because you're competent at adventuring doesn't mean you're mature enough to do it.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, this is a stick-up. Kindly hand over your things.

Post by SAJewers »

For all the hype I was seeing for this game, I thought it was just ok. It was neat at times, meh at others.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
kurt91

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, this is a stick-up. Kindly hand over your things.

Post by kurt91 »

You said that there isn't a sequel, but there kind of is. It's called "Monster Tale", it's by the same developers, and you play as Hatsworth's niece, Ellie. Instead of the secondary game being Panel de Pon, it's more of a virtual pet simulator, where your pet, named "Chomp", can come up to the top screen when needed and help deal damage, as well as some of the toys you give him affecting the top screen as well.

It's more of a Metroidvania, it's not nearly as difficult as Hatsworth was, and it's a lot of fun. I never could beat the final boss on Hatsworth (that one attack where you have to destroy the red button before the walls close in. I was never able to destroy it in time when it was up high.) I beat Monster Tale two times consecutively because I wanted to see the differences in raising Chomp differently the second time around.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This was quite an impressive final boss. Fighting it with no health upgrades was interesting; when you die in just two hits you don't have much room for mistakes. One thing I found interesting is that it's attacks are simple enough that you can easily tell what to do, but they require enough reaction speed and/or precision to still be threatening despite their simple nature. The one outlier to this is when it spawns enemies, but fortunately it always spawns the same enemies every time, so if you can find a good way to deal with them you can just repeat it every time. That part did give me a lot of trouble though, and at one point I considered finally going to the shop and buying some upgrades, but I eventually managed to figure out a good way to deal with the enemies, and once I got past that phase of the fight I didn't have too much more trouble.

After 11 deaths I managed to beat the boss. And while I'm talking about numbers, by not buying anything at the shop I ended the game with 75977 money, which makes the ending a bit amusing. Also, I decided to not start GENTLEMAN MODE, which strangely leaves the file at 98% completion. Maybe you get the last little bit if you buy everything at the shop? Or perhaps you can only get 100% completion if you complete GENTLEMAN MODE, but I'm just guessing here.

Anyway, my opinion of this game is pretty similar to raocow's. I like the graphics, I love the music (especially the boss themes, and this final boss theme is no exception), and while the gameplay might not be the greatest, I still had a lot of fun with it.

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, this is a stick-up. Kindly hand over your sticks.

Post by Awoo »

So, the villain all along was actually...

n~yoron Capitalism?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

kurt91 wrote: 4 years ago You said that there isn't a sequel, but there kind of is. It's called "Monster Tale", it's by the same developers, and you play as Hatsworth's niece, Ellie. Instead of the secondary game being Panel de Pon, it's more of a virtual pet simulator, where your pet, named "Chomp", can come up to the top screen when needed and help deal damage, as well as some of the toys you give him affecting the top screen as well.

It's more of a Metroidvania, it's not nearly as difficult as Hatsworth was, and it's a lot of fun. I never could beat the final boss on Hatsworth (that one attack where you have to destroy the red button before the walls close in. I was never able to destroy it in time when it was up high.) I beat Monster Tale two times consecutively because I wanted to see the differences in raising Chomp differently the second time around.
raocow plays Monster Tale when
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)