(shouting)

Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, this is a stick-up. Kindly hand over your things.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your shoes

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Looks like raocow had a lot of trouble with this level, although after playing it myself I was pretty much expecting that. Watching raocow play I started thinking something similar to what raocow said at the end; this game can be really harsh if you lose control of things. If you do a good job of dealing with the enemies you'll charge up your super meter quickly, allowing you to use the robot suit. Then you can use the robot suit to defeat a bunch of enemies, and then match them up to charge another use of the robot suit. But if you mess up you may find yourself struggling just to survive, and not being able to use the robot suit because you have to use your energy for your gun just to deal with the enemies.

I can understand raocow's issue with the enemies being damage sponges; at the start of this I decided to give myself a challenge to not buy any upgrades, but I'm considering giving up on that because of the damage sponge issue. It's even worse when you don't have any damage upgrades, and it's starting to become a bit unreasonable now. For instance, when Weasleby summoned enemies during the second phase of the boss fight I wasn't able to defeat them all before he started attacking again, and while I was taking cover from the saw blades in the middle of the room one of the enemies hit me into the area where the lightning was going to fall, which ended up comboing me to death.

Speaking of the boss, aside from the aforementioned death I thought it was pretty fun. It can be a bit awkward to hit Weasleby in the first phase, but fortunately his health seems to be relatively low. The second phase is where the real fun begins. The lightning ball attack can be tricky to dodge, which gives incentive to take care of things quickly, but if you get too greedy you'll get hit in the back with a saw blade. After I died against this boss I actually started to appreciate the basic gun. I like the boomerangs because they're pretty powerful when fully charged, but it takes a lot of matches to power them up, while with the gun the bullets get fully powered up with just a few matches. Also the laser is really strong, which helped deal with the spawned enemies before they could cause problems.

thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Soooo, watching this video, I came to one conclusion: This game expects you to grind. This is why it's become such a slog to watch this. We haven't seen many upgrades lately because it costs so much money now to do them, and most levels no longer provide the money for them in one go.

I sincerely doubt this will end well.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Robot videogame hint's: I would seriously recommend keeping an eye on the robot meter and then going into the puzzle when it's about to expire. You usually have a complex board at that point and if you did matches before the robot exploded instead of afterwards, you could fill the meter back up again and keep being a robot until that doesn't work out anymore.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your moneybags

Post by Awoo »

The puzzle mechanic seems like it's pretty stale these days, is there much else to change it up in the future? It's not bad, but, kind of tedious and it takes a while for much to happen.

Seriously though, why are the upgrades so gosh darn expensive these days? The amount they cost now compared to earlier is ridiculous. When does something get fully upgraded, anyhow?

This game could be much better. It's ok, but not the best puzzle/platformer IMO :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your wallets

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Once again, I played the next level in world 4 only for raocow to go hunting for secret exits. I went and played this secret level before watching raocow play it, and I was expecting him to like it; this level is all about platforming while raocow's issues with this game have mostly seemed to be about the enemies. Although I guess this level may have been harder then he expected; it feels like you need to be really good at wall jumping in order to get through here.

Also, raocow spent a lot of time waiting to become young, and while that could be a good idea in other levels, I don't think it was a good idea for this level in particular. Compared to other levels this level is a short difficult one. It's short enough that I feel like it would probably be faster to just take a death rather than waiting for enough puzzle pieces to become young again.

For comparison, imagine a Mario game where you could get a mushroom by pausing the game for two minutes. Sure you could use that to get through difficult levels, but unless it's a long level I feel like you'd be better off just going through normally and learning as you die.

The Doctor

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your moneybags

Post by The Doctor »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago This game could be much better. It's ok, but not the best puzzle/platformer IMO :ehh:
Hatsworth is a strange experiment of a game that doesn't come out a total success, but it's unique and interesting enough that it's worth playing IMO. The biggest problem with the game, as raocow has clearly shown, is that it's a slog. I enjoyed playing the game myself, but I was relieved when it was finally over. And I didn't bother with the secret levels.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah but like I didn't know the level was short

I probably would have enjoyed the level more if I didn't keep getting nickled and dimed to death in the earlier parts constantly, priming me to prepare for more and more and more and more of that, forever.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
LunarRainbowShyGuy

True, you had no way of knowing how long the level would be, and as the old saying goes: hindsight is 20/20. My point was that you shouldn't go out of your way to become young again until you've made a decent amount of progress, although if you were having trouble with the early parts of the level that upward section with the eyeball enemies probably would feel like a decent amount of progress, so... I guess I may have been a tad ignorant, my bad.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

eh it's fine, no worries
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

That secret level looked pretty rough. Also don't forget you can stay in robot longer if you avoid damage and recharge often in the puzzle screen.

But look what you've done now, mr cow. I put this game in my Amazon wishlist.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago yeah but like I didn't know the level was short

I probably would have enjoyed the level more if I didn't keep getting nickled and dimed to death in the earlier parts constantly, priming me to prepare for more and more and more and more of that, forever.
That's the one saving grace of that secret level- it's extremely punishing, but also quite short. And you get quite a nice reward for beating it!
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Looking at the comments in the previous video it looks like some people did give raocow some combat advice. I kind of want to do the same, but I don't exactly have much advice to give. During the parts of this level where raocow was struggling with the enemies I thought to myself "how did I handle this part?", but almost every time the answer was "oh right, I used the robot suit". Although with raocow talking about how the robot suit keeps getting new attacks while Hatsworth is stuck with the same old moveset, I feel like the developers intended for the robot suit to be used a lot more than raocow's been using it.

Of course it's not that easy to use when the enemies can easily take you out of your young state and cause you to lose your super meter. As I've said before, I feel like using the robot suit can create a snowball effect where the enemies you defeat as a robot provide super meter that can go towards another use of the robot suit, with the alternative being that you lose all your super meter from getting hit and using the gun, rendering you unable to use the robot suit.

Anyway, I agree that it would be really nice to be able to manually raise the blocks. Although one could say it would make things too easy if you could do so as much as you wanted, so I was thinking maybe you could raise the blocks by expending some puzzle meter. Once you're good enough the only time the puzzle meter ever really gets low is if you're sitting there waiting for the blocks to rise, so it would be nice to be able to expedite that process. Although it's not like this game's ever going to change, so... I guess if anyone else out there is planning on making a game like this, take this into consideration.

jdaster64

Post by jdaster64 »

It's been fun watching this; I just recently revisited it for the first time in a while earlier this year, and Rao's the first LPer I've followed to play it, ever, I think.

I'd been trying to resist the urge to comment-spam unless the opportunity for a knowledge drop presented itself (such as with the powered-up projectiles), and overall his first experience seems overall pretty similar to mine; even back in college when I was using a friend's copy having played all my games to death, I had to take a couple breaks due to difficulty spikes (primarily of the enemy-related variety), and had my fair share of combo-induced deaths.

Then I revisited the game a year or so later having bought it myself after reading a post on GameFAQs or such that suggested a more juggle-heavy playstyle, and it made a profound difference to the depth of my options; so much so that I made a video showcasing it way back when:

(light spoilerinos for the start of stage 5-4, so mayhaps don't watch the end until after finishing this world, at least)

The major takeaway, beyond juggling doing damage faster and leaving you way less open for counterattacks, is that you can carry combos between screens for a super long time if you immediately switch after getting a melee hit/combo or puzzle match; I didn't even know the puzzle powerups were more potent if you have a 4+ combo, so that's just another layer of icing on the cake.

(Also, counter to my video self's assertions, the standard combo can be useful if you aren't being attacked on multiple fronts and just want enemies off of you)
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

weasleby's evil-laugh portrait is amazing

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow has Became Good
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I found it funny when raocow accidentally dashed when he wanted to use the robot suit, because I had the opposite problem; I've been trying to utilize the dash more, but in the room with the tetris blocks my Mega Man Zero instincts somehow took over and I tried to dash with the L button, only to turn into a robot. It wasn't immediately fatal, but in the next enemy zone I ended up getting overwhelmed because I didn't have access to the robot suit.

Anyway, I haven't really had to learn much about combat due to using the robot suit a lot, and powering through things with projectiles when I don't have access to the robot suit. But I experimented a bit with the combat today, and, as raocow also seems to have discovered, juggling definitely seems like the way to go. I'm glad I found that out today, because the second time I got to the enemy zone where I died I still didn't have the robot suit ready, but through a combination of juggling enemies and focusing on those bubble shooting enemies I was able to get through it, which I doubt I would have been able to do with just basic attacks.

The mud boss at the end of this level gave me a pretty hard time. When it went into the puzzle I wasn't prepared for it at all, and I was only able to get a few hits in before it escaped. And then the boss killed me pretty quickly; I still haven't bought any upgrades so it can kill me in just two hits (also, I find it kind of incredible that raocow has as many hearts when he's old as I have in total when I'm young). Fortunately, the second time around I was prepared for it to go into the puzzle, and I was able to finish it off without it even getting a chance to escape.

Quadro
Heh heh.

Post by Quadro »

Every time I see that frog that spits out other frogs, I can't help thinking about Ghiaccio from Jojo's.

I almost expect him to go on tangents about Vinice and weird idioms.

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from:
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

It's good to see you having fun again after figuring stuff out.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

After the boss of world three I was expecting another difficult boss, but I found this to be pretty easy. I died once, mostly because Weasleby started with his big dash attack, and I got caught off guard and lost half my health right away. After that though I got through the fight without too much trouble. You can juggle him, and I did so a little bit, but I decided to be a gentleman and let him use some of his attacks, which are pretty flashy, but there not too hard to dodge (thank you descriptioncao for saving me the trouble of elaborating on this any further).

Once Weasleby summons a clone of himself their attacks can occasionally combine in some nasty ways. Fortunately his clone isn't just an independent instance of the boss; they actually sync up their attacks (I've seen cases of two completely independent bosses, and that can easily get out of hand). Anyway, if you focus on taking out the clone first it's not too bad, and the clone's health is actually fairly low (or maybe it just seemed that way because I was juggling him a bit).

Anyway, now that Cole's missing Lance is running the shop now, which gave me a good chuckle. Too bad he didn't bring his theme song with him. And since raocow mentioned it, I don't think the game ever explained the relationship between Henry Hatsworth and Cole. I just figured it was something like Back to the Future, where a young guy and an old man seem to be good friends and that's that.

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Henry Layton - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your brains

Post by Awoo »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years ago Anyway, now that Cole's missing Lance is running the shop now, which gave me a good chuckle. Too bad he didn't bring his theme song with him. And since raocow mentioned it, I don't think the game ever explained the relationship between Henry Hatsworth and Cole. I just figured it was something like Back to the Future, where a young guy and an old man seem to be good friends and that's that.
Aren't they related? I figured that Cole was Prof. Hatsworth's nephew or something like that.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Re: Henry Layton - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your brains

Post by Nimono »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Aren't they related? I figured that Cole was Prof. Hatsworth's nephew or something like that.
Nah. As far as the story reveals, Cole's just Hatsworth's apprentice. It's like the relationship between Professor Layton and Luke Triton.

Poor Cole. Been forced to do Weasleby's bidding on threat of being forced to listen to RAGTIME ON LOOP OH NOOOOOOOO*

*Note: personal interpretation on what sounds funniest
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your vests

Usually when I see raocow go back to a level to look for secret exits I try to find the secret exit myself before watching raocow find it. This time though I couldn't find it so after nearly playing through the entire level twice I gave up and watched raocow to see where it was. I did think about jumping downwards right at the end, but without the power of science on my side I was hesitant to do so.

Anyway, the secret level is an autoscroll level, which is an interesting change of pace. This level has a lot of the bubble shooting enemies, but fortunately most of the level seems to be set up for you to avoid fighting them as much as possible. There are a few spots after getting the boomerang where there's not really any way around them, but fully powered up boomerang shots make them fairly easy to deal with (and I guess the shield works too). The thing that gave me the most trouble are the "pokey" enemies; it feels like you have to be pretty precise in order to get them to split, and with me not buying any upgrades I don't really have the strength to just brute force my way past them.

kitikami

Re: Henry Hatsworth - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your vests

Post by kitikami »

My take is that Cole wasn't kidnapped, he just voluntarily joined Weasleby because he agreed to actually let Cole go adventuring with him. I'll be disappointed if Cole is not the game's final boss.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Henry's Hatsworthington - Ladies and gentlemen, kindly remove your real gorilla chest

Post by Awoo »

kitikami wrote: 4 years ago My take is that Cole wasn't kidnapped, he just voluntarily joined Weasleby because he agreed to actually let Cole go adventuring with him. I'll be disappointed if Cole is not the game's final boss.
That'd be quite the twist. What has that kid been doing with all the money you give him throughout the game, anyway? :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image