(shouting)

DT3 Epilogue - the cutting room raocow

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Re: DT3 Epilogue - raocow: endgame

Post by ZephyrBurst »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago But does the Abomination survive? :kood:
Neither outcome is stated in-game because I feel for the plot of DT3, it's not important. However, it is intended that the Abomination survives and goes off *somewhere*.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

ZephyrBurst wrote: 4 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago But does the Abomination survive? :kood:
Neither outcome is stated in-game because I feel for the plot of DT3, it's not important. However, it is intended that the Abomination survives and goes off *somewhere*.
:rao:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

that was a thing that needed to happen i guess??

fart
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
stormie
formerly maou shoujo
Pronouns: she/her

Post by stormie »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago the reason why the reasoning above doesn't land with me is that we keep beating hexor
I think that's understandable because DT3 Hex is both a much more insidious type of villain than you would expect from DT's story, and a significant tonal departure from the more in-your-face troll Hexor from DT1.

A big part of it is that Hex hates himself too as he's a clone of Jeremy, Hex wants to die and they don't play that part up as much. He fully intended to be killed in the Warship, because by the point the party is on the Warship they're already in Hex's deathtrap. The entire reason for the Warship existing is to be that deathtrap. Until then he's downplaying the desire to erase his own existence, because he wants to lure the party into a false sense of security. His facade starts to crack after the Warship plan falls apart, but he keeps trying to keep it up because the veneer of confidence is about all he has left.

As a neutral ending out of 3, I think it's solid -- the world was saved but at enormous cost due to Hex's revenge. As a solo ending... it swerves expectations too much, especially for right at the end. It feels very preventable. It's not the only situation like that in the game either... for instance it feels very strange to me that's it's outright impossible to save Sera from the Virus, no matter how well you fend them off before her boss fight.

I'll second though that the final boss being a mishmash of styles, both gameplay and graphics, is fantastic. DT is at its best when it unapologetically embraces its janky elements, and this is peak DT. The gameplay shifts push you out of your comfort zone, but a well-balanced challenge level and abundant checkpoints keep it from being frustrating. Again I think it's thematically fitting, because at this point Hexor is desperate and throwing out any trick he can think of, because he knows in a head-on fight he'll lose every time. "A sore loser" is a good way to put it, he hates Jeremy so much he refuses to concede defeat even to the very end. It also bookends things well by mirroring DT1's last encounter, except instead of empowering their champions, these two are finally going at it mano-a-mano.

One more thing! Did you notice that the stage geometry in the final Distortion world is the same as the first game's first distortion? The graphics are totally different, but it's there. I didn't notice it the first time I saw the epilogue!
occasional watcher of the lets plays and haver of too many usernames
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

To explain some of this and how it came to be.

For the bottom, most of that is in response to the DT community. The 'Fourmaster' as its been called was a one off idea someone had that I thought was so dumb and goofy that I had to see it myself. Best place to put it so others could see it was in the B side.

The double Warmaster was, I believe, Frey's idea and I thought it neat and again wanted to see it. Especially since it sounded actually possible to complete. (It is of course.) The Fourmaster has so far only been completed on assist mode using both healing potions. (The boss flag is not active for those maps.) Though I'm convinced it may be possible to do legit.

The bone map needs to explanation.

The Helmethead joke started started way back close to when the game was released. I got a lot of reports that Helmethead was either too hard for being that early of a boss or would wall people for long periods of time. (One person told me they dropped the game on that boss.) It became a bit of a joke that Helmethead was the hardest boss in the game so I decided to secretly (though some people know me well enough to have figured it out before it was even released) make a silly variant of the boss.

Some have mentioned that there are two superbosses hidden. I'll keep that spoilered just in case.
First
The first is a very long encounter using the Gate 6 abilities. There's a couple new rules applied that the boss scan reveals. Also Jaimers skips a few phases in the last bit.
Second
The second unlocks after completing the first one. It's a super beefed variant of Warmaster, and not in a joke manner like the B side things are. It started when Zero was curious how Warmaster would be if he was in his 'hyper mode' for the entire fight. In the normal encounter, Warmaster gets faster and changes forms much faster in the last 30%, which I've just been called hyper mode. I gave it to Zero and he beat it easily first try. For some strange reason, I then decided to make this in response.
Sebby19

Re: DT3 Epilogue - the cutting room raocow

Post by Sebby19 »

Sounds like The Executive was meant to be another member of the team that created The Darkness.

And why did I see a Pepsi logo?

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Dragooner

Post by Dragooner »

Incase someone is wondering what happens if you go back to the warship again.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The original plan for Bubble Tower B was that each tester would submit a sketch or diagram of a short level, and ZephyrBurst would implement that into the game. We were generally enthusiastic about designing levels at first, but as time went on most of us got burnt out or just lost interest in it, especially after the game was initially released without these levels and raocow played that release of the game.

Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of Bubble Tower B. I would have made the enumerated rooms below to be more practical and meant for actual playability, instead of silly jokes or gimmicks based on ideas off the top of people's heads. Although admittedly much of these rooms do fit in both categories, what I would have liked to see was some content that existed during development that was scrapped later - things that may not have fit the flow of the content around it, but are fun when you look at one on its own. (Then again, I don't know how much work it would take to re-add things that were removed.)

Regarding doors 4 and 5 that weren't unlocked yet:
They're actually separate from the new superbosses, although one of the doors is related.

Door 4 is unlocked by finding and entering a side passage in Nefasturris. This sends you to a secret extra room that congratulates you, and then you continue on with this tester level. Once you get back to the tower hub, you see door 4 available.

It's a short needle level made with the aesthetics of that room Jerry and Claire were in during the good ending.

Door 5 is unlocked once you beat the second of the two superbosses, and here's how you access them:
  • If you enter the Abomination during the original fight (if you already defeated it then you can enter it in the Boss Gallery), you get into a meta non-canon situation where you fight

the Executive, who has a marathon of multiple phases and you use RPG gate mechanics to beat it

. The scan info here is not written in an easy to understand way, I feel, so just try to learn what the different types of projectiles are and experiment.
  • Beating this boss unlocks it in the Boss Gallery, of course, but it also unlocks in there the second superboss,

Warmaster EX. WEX for short, it's basically a souped up version of Vent fight, with some new tricks.

Ignore the scan that says there's no rewards for beating this boss, since that was written when it didn't unlock anything.
Beating

WEX

unlocks a harder version of him at door 5. Beating this boss, in turn,

just gives you a congratulatory message

. What I don't understand is that beating

WEX

in assist mode doesn't count. Beating the first superboss that unlocks this boss counts in assist, and beating the boss that comes after this boss counts in assist, so why not the one in the middle?
There's some other minor stuff -

a spring ball upgraded added in Gate 5, a joke encounter in "DLC Required" spot in Gate 6 after you beat the game, a secret room you can access by save editing that scolds you for cheating

- but anyway.

And that's... the game.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

We finally get to see raocow's hiatus positively skew his experience, as he thinks four Warmasters is a neat idea that he is simply too rusty at the game to appreciate.

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago

And why did I see a Pepsi logo?

It's a throwback to an RPGMaker game ZephyrBurst made before Distorted Travesty that was

sponsored by Pepsi (albeit without Pepsi's knowledge, funding, or permission)

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

clearly that should be the next rpg raocow plays then /s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
moogy

Post by moogy »

The only person who has completed THFG with video proof took 90 hours to do it and said it was one of the hardest games he had ever played, so it's probably not a great idea to LP. The design in it is a mixture of ineffable and brilliant, with no real middle ground, so it might be fascinating to play on your own, but...

If you truly want to experience it, here's a playthrough. Warning: for true Distorted Travesty otaku only

Also, here's the entirety of Helmethead EX, beaten by a tester. There's actually no way to dodge the attack raocow was confused by; you just have to deplete the helmets' HP before the bullet walls can close in on you. Blame Zephyr.

Finally, if you really, truly can't get enough of Zephyr's games, here's his most recent... masterpiece: BAMGA, made earlier this year. It's kind of a joke game, with a lot of in-jokes from the DT Discord (feel free to ask for an invite if you want), but the premise is pretty neat and it has a lot of extremely galaxy brain design elements you will never find in another game. And it stars me!
Implo

Post by Implo »

This The Happy Fun Game looks really interesting. Anyone knows how to get it?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Implo wrote: 4 years agoThis The Happy Fun Game looks really interesting. Anyone knows how to get it?
It and the first two games are available here.
Implo

Post by Implo »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
Implo wrote: 4 years agoThis The Happy Fun Game looks really interesting. Anyone knows how to get it?
It and the first two games are available here.
Sorry, but I see only there only download of DT trilogy. I don't see any link to The Happy Fun Game anywhere. Could you be more specific where it is?
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Implo wrote: 4 years agoSorry, but I see only there only download of DT trilogy. I don't see any link to The Happy Fun Game anywhere. Could you be more specific where it is?
Ah, actually I seem to have misread your original post. I don't think there's any links on the DT site and I'm not sure Zephyr has any other site so I assume it's probably only available on the DT Discord which I don't have a link to.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Kept forgetting to check back here. I sent him a link to the game. Also if anyone wants a link to the discord, just ask.