(shouting)

DT3 Epilogue - the cutting room raocow

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Distorted Travesty 3: Epilogue - Prologue?

Post by Truhan »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago

I have no idea what this game is like or know much of anything about it, so like Copy Kitty I think I'll sit this one out too

You might actually like it. It's a light-hearted metroidvania RPG series that canonically uses a bunch of assets from different games (i.e. there are goombas that can be instantly killed by yumping on them). As I recall, DT2 is really short, but DT3 is by far the biggest, most ambitious, and best of them.

Sans the ending.

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Distorted Travesty 3: Epilogue - Epilogue?

Post by Filbi »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago
Filby wrote: 4 years ago As someone who hasn't thought about DT in three years, can someone refresh my memory on the plot?
It'll be hard to summarize without incuding the first two games for context, so here is a 3-for-1 special:
Distorted Travesty 1: Some programmers create a game-making program, run by an A.I. They nickname it 'The Darkness', because of how secretive it was. Ofcourse, AI is a crapshoot, causes a Phase Distortion somehow, combining a bunch a video games, and pulls in the real world, consuming everything.
This happens at the same time Jerry is trashing an executive's business for smack talking a game he liked, with friend Jeremy providing Mission Control. They get pulled into the new world, and try to figure out how fix things and get back (spoilers: there is no real world anymore). Jerry ends up in Mario, while Jeremy lucks out and ends up on the '4th wall', letting him see into the world's dode, and change what he can (giving him near god-like powers). They learn about the program, the Darkness, and that they can shut it down by collecting several modules, which manifested as Muffins. The Darkness, only interested in protecting itself, sets out to take out all gamers, especially these two, so it does and creates what it can to combat them. One of these efforts is Hexor, an evil AI clone of Jeremy. Eventually, once they finally have a conversation with The Darkness, they come to an understanding, once they convince it they will not be a threat. The Darkness then assists the duo in taking out Hexor (who went rouge), and one of its original programmers, The Artist. He was orignially helping the duo, but only wanted the Muffins to destroy The Darkness (which would have taken the new reality with it), only to cover up his mistakes and save face. Hexor is eventually 'deleted' by Jeremy, but we later learn he was only sent to the recycling bin equivalent: The Vault.
There is also whale that forshadows things.

Distorted Travesty 2: Claire (Jerry's ex-gf) and Chao (Jeremy's sister) investigate an island where weird disturbances happened. Eventually, Jerry and Jeremey show up to, for the same reason, and they discover a new threat, The Virus. Unfortunately, its plan was to lure them away from the mainland, and it wrecked havoc there. Jerry manages to one-shot it's manifestation on the island, but not before Caire loses all her abilties.

Distorted Travesty 3: Once the 4 return, Jerry immediately loses all his abilties as well. The Virus has corrupted a lot of things, and has severely crippled The Darkness, so much so that it can't even talk, or 'think', anymore. Their mission now is to regaining their abilties, and collect the computer chips they need to be able reboot the entire program (they eventually drop calling it The Darkness), the only way to erase the Virus. Along the way, Hexor tricks them into coming too close to the gate to The Vault, sucking them in. They can only break out by releasing Hexor, and a new world threat, The Abomination. It's essentially a bunch of random and dangerous data, spawned by the Darkness before it became sentient. It's also learned here that Jeremy created a computer virus as a contingency plan while they were gathering the Muffins, and 'deleted' it (sent to The Vault), when the alliance with The Darkness was formed. Jeremy just didn't recognize The Virus was his at first, since Hexor changed it so mcuh
To add to this laundry list of world threats, there is also the Warmaster, the leader of a group of hostile bots. His goal is to make a safe world for all bots, no matter the cost, even if that means wiping out the remaining humanity, and friendly bots who won't join. He cannot be reasoned with, and has essentially 'grown beyond his programming'. Without the Darkness to keep him and his group in check, he is finally able to set out on his goal, and forms an uneasy alliance with Hexor (his law plus Hex's chaos).
They manage to collect the chips and reboot the system, but now need some way to tackle the remaining 3 threats, at the same time. Fortunately, the Abomination is simply resting in the desert, for something, letting them do a sidequest of collecting musical instruments, so they can soothe the beast and destroy it. As for the remaining 2, there is nothing simpler than direct confrontation on their Warship. Hexor is finally taken out first, and the Warmaster will never give up on his goal, so he is be beaten as well. All that is left is shutting down the Warship itself, but unfortunately Hexor took away all their abilities, going foward, in their fight. Warmaster's room was an exception. This forces Jeremy to step down from the 4th wall, permanently (thanks to the Virus crippling the program), to do it himself. And then we saw today's video
Is that a good summary, Zephyr?
Thank you Sebby.
I change this sig every year for Advent
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

So basically, the only thing different between this video and the ending segment of the previous (video 157) was the dialogue between Syrus and John after the credits. It cuts down on the Terminator 2 "what do bots think" stuff that people watching were disinterested in, and instead of just going "Chao left on her own after this happened, the end", it turned that into a clue on where you should check out.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So I guess BROS truly was a one off, and not going to be the next Big Fish Legends.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So I guess BROS truly was a one off, and not going to be the next Big Fish Legends.
BROS is an A-side game.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Implo

Post by Implo »

Damn, I thought it will be Valdis Story again. I agree with raocow about this game being done for fun and to make fun out of games elements. It is especially visible in the first game. In DT3 there is lack of it, though it still reappear sometimes. Like in last gate.

For true ending - I played not too much of it few years ago. I managed to beat one boss and get 1 checkpoint. And then I got bored. I know, it's not a good comment. I was expecting colorful area like one of areas from last chapters. Forgot the name, but it was colorful and had good music. Well, maybe something like this appears later in true ending, but I lost my motivation to continue.

Also, good job raocow. You noticed what to do, commented it and... 5 seconds later you have completely forgot about that. That was funny.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Mea wrote: 4 years ago Is ASMT-lore Artist a reference to the Artist that's referred to in that summary?
I don't know what inspired the A2MT devs to call the character the Artist but I'm guessing it was probably a coincidence. The A2XT Episode 2 team's intent for the ASMTverse Artist isn't based on the DT Artist at all, though I should note that the rough overarching plans for the A2XT trilogy/quadrilogy have the Artist being the final main antagonist and in the meantime the character doesn't have a canon identity. We on the A2XT2 team may not be involved for the game that'll have their formal reveal, so whether they'll be who we want them to be is still up in the air.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
moogy

Post by moogy »

Truhan wrote: 4 years ago I don't understand how Steam can allow all manner of garbage on their storefront, but this somehow isn't on there. DT3 in particular deserves to be a full-priced game, and ZephyrBurst et al. deserve a lot more recognition for the great job they did.
Well, DT3 is a veritable cornucopia of copyright infringement, so selling it is no bueno regardless of the storefront. It certainly deserves more recognition than it has, though; it's easily more expansive than any similar game you actually can pay money for.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago
Mea wrote: 4 years ago Is ASMT-lore Artist a reference to the Artist that's referred to in that summary?
I don't know what inspired the A2MT devs to call the character the Artist but I'm guessing it was probably a coincidence. The A2XT Episode 2 team's intent for the ASMTverse Artist isn't based on the DT Artist at all, though I should note that the rough overarching plans for the A2XT trilogy/quadrilogy have the Artist being the final main antagonist and in the meantime the character doesn't have a canon identity. We on the A2XT2 team may not be involved for the game that'll have their formal reveal, so whether they'll be who we want them to be is still up in the air.
If it helps, nformation and whatnot was made for A2MT on The Artist, it just never made ipast the writing phase as a2mt died before the srtist could be made as a boss or any cutscenes and plot stuff could be actually made

viewtopic.php?p=68083#p68083
viewtopic.php?p=92037#p92037
viewtopic.php?p=120239#p120239

Apparently there's was a more official plot thing hosted elsewhere that's now been lost to the ether.

Also, I may be misunderstanding you.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, clearly what you need to do is start an entirely new play through and play through the rest of the game again to get the epilogue. (On Achilles mode if you feel like torturing yourself. I don't recommend Nightmare though, personally I find that mode boring since it removes most of the point of actually exploring.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

3h recording almost exactly, BUT I did overextend into a boss when I was clearly not ready for it

DT3 is back!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

You're one of the few I've seen bring Jerry to the bottom of that room instead of Claire. Those two rooms went really well for you overall.
kitikami

Re: DT3 Epilogue: raocow and the game that continues

Post by kitikami »

Does raocow have the

spring ball

in this save file? I don't remember if it is really even relevant at this point, but it could be a nice quality of life thing for him to know about if he has it.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago raocow, clearly what you need to do is start an entirely new play through and play through the rest of the game again to get the epilogue. (On Achilles mode if you feel like torturing yourself. I don't recommend Nightmare though, personally I find that mode boring since it removes most of the point of actually exploring.)
But in Nightmare mode you get to find cheese! :D
Cheese is a perfectly acceptable substitute for expansion items and such :P
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago I don't recommend Nightmare though, personally I find that mode boring since it removes most of the point of actually exploring.)
Actually if you're coming back to the game after a break and you want to do a second run, nightmare mode could be a good alternative because if you collected everything in your first run, you might find it tedious to do all that again in your second run. It allows you to skip many side tasks and focus straight on the main path, which is one way it's a quite different experience.

And fortunately, if its increased difficulty is too high but you're curious about how different it feels, you can balance it out with

permanent easy

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Re: DT3 Epilogue: raocow and the minecarts

Post by Sturg »

What's the music for the

glitchy cave place?

ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

!
a song you don't know :o
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Sturg wrote: 4 years ago What's the music for the

glitchy cave place?

Level

Boss
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

inb4 tank boy canonically hacks his own life's save file or something like that

to mods: if i am right this was speculation
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
moogy

Post by moogy »

This boss is quite difficult, kudos to raocow for managing to beat it while relearning all of the controls and mechanics in the process.

Also, for anyone confused about the gimmick: At certain damage thresholds, the boss gains resistance to a specific type of damage, always in the same order; this resistance persists for the rest of the battle. When it gains a shield, it can only be damaged with explosive type damage, so either Link bombs or Samus bombs. Everything else is as the scan data says; it's a fixed pattern that it will never deviate from (though the intensity ramps up a bit as you deal damage).
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

A couple months ago I started my second DT3 playthrough (my first one started when the true ending update dropped.) I got all the way up to Hex again (doing this boss as well) before I fell off. I've already completeted the game once, I didn't have the drive to do it again. I will say that I was surprised at many points where I didn't have trouble that I did the first time around. Finally, I'd like to thank Zephyr for the assist mode, because without it I'd have never beaten all the final bosses (abomination, today's boss, warmaster, Hex, and all the other eplilogue stuff)
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Boss down! 2 1/2 hours is pretty good time going from basically fresh-faced to actual victory.
Although I feel the need to once again mention "Assist Mode" as a valid option if another boss later on gives you troubles. Remember you went Easy Mode on the Shroud Lord way back in DT1, after all!

As for what's next? Well, it'll be fun watching raocow play through this segment, that's for sure.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

I don't remember exactly anymore, but does this game have food or something? I think I remember that.

A subtank might be a helpful buffer for getting back into things?
Implo

Post by Implo »

Congratulations, raocow. I thought this battle will take few videos for you, but you did it. As for boss - I don't remember fighting him above bottomless pit, I think it was on solid ground. Was it changed? Or is it just a case of bad memory?
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I'm impressed raocow not only beat that boss having not played the game in over three years, but also almost entirely with Link's ability set and not using Megaman, Belmont, or morph bombs at all (or leaving the boss encounter to check his equipment). His ability to simplify game mechanics and get through on raw skill with the bare bones of available tools never fails to amaze me.

Reverning wrote: 4 years ago I don't remember exactly anymore, but does this game have food or something? I think I remember that.

A subtank might be a helpful buffer for getting back into things?
There are healing potions, but you can't use them during boss fights so it wouldn't have helped today.