(shouting)

VIP 5 2019 - To everyone there is a boon, and a time to every rom hack under heaven

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like funny cat pictures to those bored at work

Post by Grounder »

TOPOFTHEMORNINGTOYALADDIESMYNAMEISJACKSEPTICEYE all in one breath
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

"hey there game-spoilers this is raocow good luck spoiling vip5 for me"
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Alice wrote: 4 years agoClearly the solution is to occasionally spice it up by introducing yourself as someone else. (Steal DC's "hey there, La-Mulanaites!" intro or maybe Iso's for a day or something. Though I think you did do the former once during your La-Mulana lp, lol.)
He stole DC's catchphrase the 3rd time he played VIP 1, I think. He didn't say it once during tha actual La-Mulana LP!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoHe stole DC's catchphrase the 3rd time he played VIP 1, I think. He didn't say it once during tha actual La-Mulana LP!
Oh right, I remember now. I don't recall if it was VIP1 (I think you're right on that though) but it was one of the lps shortly before he did lp La-Mulana and was also around the same time we knew it was coming up next too.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think your confused again. Someone did link to the video where raocow said DC's thing, in anticipation of the upcoming La-mulana LP. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

raocow played VIP1 for the 3rd time a long time ago, shortly after Horikawa joined, I think.
The reason raocow stole DC's intro was after I (and maybe some others) remarked that if DC can LP a game 3 times, so can rao.
And then the next morning said did it. :D
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago "hey there game-spoilers this is raocow good luck spoiling vip5 for me"
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

sup nerds my gamer name is raocow
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a vein of mithril to a late Third Age Dwarven smithy

Post by tangy »

raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

as a jojo fan everytime you call furry aa star platinum "botaro" i should get mad but im not because it kind of works as a bad pun on bokoboko ni shiteyanyo and jotaro and also i like part 3 the least of the parts i've gone through so far and also i hate jojo fans

its not bad its just h. avdol, polnareff, joseph and iggy's wacky hijinks kind of carry it.
i feel it's kind of an inbetween of serious straight-faced jojo and bullshit god-tier "araki came up with this villain by ramming the random page button on wikipedia" jojo

anyway star platinum is a good stage but babysitting a mega mole is surprisingly stressful. that final platforming challenge always gets me on the secret exit, the enemies are the least of my worries. this stage is kind of made to be played with a keyboard or with two controllers, re: up as jump. it's good to see the evolution in the star platinum guy's asm skills from vip4 to vip5.

Protip! Get the midpoint, die, then clear all the enemies in the stage with the fire flower and go back to the start for Easy Mode Star Platinum.

@ emptying body remark
Image Image
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I'm wondering, why did the letter change from U to D in the Switch Palace
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

It's easier to find accurate words that start with the letter 'D' than it is for the letter 'U' in English (thanks to prefixes like 'dis-' and 'de-'). And as long as they start with the same letter it doesn't really matter for the joke which letter it is.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a surgeon

Post by Awoo »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago Clearly the solution is to occasionally spice it up by introducing yourself as someone else. (Steal DC's "hey there, La-Mulanaites!" intro or maybe Iso's for a day or something. Though I think you did do the former once during your La-Mulana lp, lol.)
I think he's found a great enough solution by saying "Hey there everyone, this is raocow playing *insert game here*", where *insert game here* isn't always what he's playing but usually some silly joke like when he said playing "luigi's adventure" or "la-mulana" when he wasn't actually playing la-mulana

hey there everyone this is raocow playing :partygator:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

He did a similar thing with Warioland 4, just with game consoles.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

hey there everyone this is raocow playing kingdom hearts
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Fun fact, by the time the original VIP5 LP had ended, the JoJo TV anime had yet to start.

Also, on the topic of raocow's commentary, I guess you could argue it has mellowed out a bit, but i personally enjoy that there's actual commentary being made, while still keeping that raocow flavour. I mean, when he first started people were saying "rawr xd" deadass, not ironically or anything like that, so the way people communicate on the internet has changed a bunch since, and it'd be strange to expect anything different from raocow himself.
ImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'd bet the average age of a raocow viewer is 5-10 years older now than it was a decade ago. Mainly because I think a lot of the remaining people watching classic-style LPs now are the same people who were watching them then and are stubbornly holding on to what's a mostly dead medium now (read: me). And that age demographic doesn't care too much for the monkey cheese commentary any more. Or maybe it's just that entire style of humor is out now.

I think in terms of video game content, kids today mostly moved onto live streams and highlights of live streams.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I need to remember to not look at the day 1 view count, which used to be 20,000 back then.

I remember the day Matt Thorson linked raocow in his site's blog, since rao was playing AUS. I remember litening to this talkative loon, amazed at the rapidash nonsense he was spewing out. It was hilarious. And raocow's laugh is pretty infectious as well.
I ultimately made him my morning routine (gotta have my morning raocow!), and shortly afterward decided "Kay, if there is one guy on Youtube the internet I'm going to follow, I choose this guy".
Time well spent. I do miss the monkey cheese, but no one can stay the same for 10+ years.
Last edited by Sebby19 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i just found out about him through asmt credits on smwc and looking for vip1-4 walkthroughs
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a load of food to a rao'est cow

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Fun fact, by the time the original VIP5 LP had ended, the JoJo TV anime had yet to start.
The current one, sure, but isn't the franchise super old? I remember watching a really old VHS JoJo series like a decade ago
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a load of food to a rao'est cow

Post by Piesonscreations »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago The current one, sure, but isn't the franchise super old? I remember watching a really old VHS JoJo series like a decade ago
Yeah, I meant the 2012 TV series, but there was an OVA series, and a cancelled animated film.

Also, on the topic of how peeps found out about raocow, I remember Josh Jepson had liked one of VIP5's first parts back when youtube would show when people liked or faved a video, so I checked it out and have been watching ever since. Although there were a couple years where I don't think I was watching all that much.
ImageImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like barf bags to plane passengers with inner ear problems

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I hope that one day we may learn it how Luigi returned from his past grave in VIP 4 to annoy Boon by constantly pausing his game in VIP 5
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 4 years ago how Luigi returned from his past grave
i personally think the luigi that keeps pausing the game is the ghost that you fight at the end of green paradise
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

The thing that causes the pausing in this level is actually really simple. It's an invisible custom sprite that when spawned merely cues up the pausing sound effect, sets the pause flag, and then despawns itself immediately. It's a total of about five lines of relevant code. There are a whole bunch of these placed in the level, so the pause effect does happen at specific spots.

Considering this bypasses the controller, you probably wouldn't be able to prevent it by changing controller settings (which I don't think SMW actually allows anyway). One way you could probably cheese it though (especially at the last dragon coin where there's a whole cluster of them) is by triggering a bunch of them in one go thus despawning them by scrolling the screen with R.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The idea behind re-binding isn't that it would somehow cheat the pausing, but rather that in the past (in a different level which he mentions in the video), raocow was struggling with the physical location of the pause button on his controller and had a lot of trouble when he needed to press other buttons shortly after unpausing. So rebinding it would take that awkwardness out of the equation.

I guess it's not as clear what he meant by that if you didn't see him struggling with the other level, though. Doesn't seem like it would be as much of a factor in this one, since the execution isn't as demanding overall.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 4 years ago Considering this bypasses the controller, you probably wouldn't be able to prevent it by changing controller settings (which I don't think SMW actually allows anyway). One way you could probably cheese it though (especially at the last dragon coin where there's a whole cluster of them) is by triggering a bunch of them in one go thus despawning them by scrolling the screen with R.
He's talking about rebinding buttons on the emulator. Then you don't have to take your thumb off one of the sides of the controller to hit it, which is a big part of what makes the level difficult.

Also I can't remember if it was this pause gimmick level in the original LP or a different level with a similar gimmick, but I was recently remembering raocow saying the "I don't want to rebind the buttons cause it's not how the game was meant to be played," thing (which is a sentiment I agree with). It popped into my mind when he stubbornly refused to map the A and B buttons to a normal layout in Superstar Saga where I guess that rule doesn't apply!!