(shouting)

VIP 5 2019 - To everyone there is a boon, and a time to every rom hack under heaven

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like the patience of a saint to a devoted parent

Post by KobaBeach »

i feel like this level could be improved by replacing the blue koopa with a custom blue koopa that has an extended suboffscreen
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like the flax plant to those who want their colors to slide

Post by KobaBeach »

daddy bowser is a very rough lover, sending you straight into lava caves without warning you about needing a p-switch
Image Image
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

The reason why raocow remembered the VIP coins being such a thing in the Yoshi cave is because of a glitch that was fixed in our translation.

The way it‘s supposed to go is that there are four VIP coins in the level before the split to the secret exit path, and then one more VIP coin on either of the two paths (so you can get all five of them no matter which path you choose).
However, because of something called „tile memory indexes“, one of the four VIP coins on the main path did not spawn at all in the original version of the hack. It was still possible to get five of them and fill out the indicator on the overworld by getting the fifth one on the normal path, and then double back to get the „other“ fifth one on the secret exit path.

It was basically a huge detour, forcing you to go all over the place and I‘m just glad that raocow was spared that entire mess.
this is getting laundromatic
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Let's go, Boonie-poo
We got to beat the level
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Ryrir's explanation to me is not very good so I'm going to post my attempt at explaining the situation.

In SMW there exists a concept such as item memory, it is used to keep track whether Mario has collected coins/Yoshi Coin/1up block(I think) in certain part of a level (not going to explain how exactly it works as that's not necessary).

SMW has 3 128 byte tables allocated in its RAM for this, so only item memory indexes 0,1 and 2 are supported and so a level in vanilla SMW can have 3 rooms with coins and stuff in them without causing some weird interactions when loading each other.

The midpoint room in the Yoshi level uses index 3, which doesn't work and because of some out of bounds table reads, the item memory in that room is based on a part of this RAM area ($7E1BF8-$7E1C78).

You can actually make the 4th VIP Coin appear without the changed item memory if you screen scroll to the right twice just before entering the pipe to the midpoint room although that will make it so the 2nd VIP Coin won't spawn.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

That sounds like a huge pain, having to run all over the place to get the coins because the game isn't working correctly. Good thing you fixed it!
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a basin of potable water to a Fremen with a damaged stillsuit

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

About what's in the video tags: "Water Land" is the Japanese name of Dire Dire Docks in SM64, but there's no evidence that this stage is an outright reference. It's way too generic a name, plus it doesn't have any of the elements from the one in SM64 besides the presence of a lot of water. There's not even a dock or any ships, so I couldn't in good conscience call it that anyway.
Sebby19

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a basin of potable water to a Fremen with a damaged stillsuit

Post by Sebby19 »

This is probably the most number of times raocow has done 4-level videos in a single hack.

I like it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
KobaBeach

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a sawed-off to someone stuck in a zombie apocalypse

Post by KobaBeach »

World 4's first half is kind of my least favorite world as usually goes with cave worlds for me.

World 5, being a sky stage, was more my thing, haha.

Just realized I kind of never finished watching the Labyrinth Castle video (15).
I'll finish watching it, but as I do, here's my tier list, updated with the past few levels + Frozen Ghost, Bullet and Clouds since I forgot those!
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
S Rank (Crème de la crème):
013 Labyrinth Castle 2 ~ vs. Roy
020 Pushing Onwards With Blue Mega Mole 2
024 Lamentably Pathetic
101 R Green Paradise
103 Really Dreadful Switch Palace
105 Surprisingly Magnetic
10B Run! Jump! Yellow Switch!
111 R wahTUh LenD
112 Luigi's Being Annoying
113 R Bullet Hill
124 Caught Red-Armed and Dangerous
12B Red Athletic

A Rank (Good stuff):
004 Horse Feeding Grounds
008 Koopa n' Paratroopa Road
009 No Music, No Life
010 Pipesy-Daisy!
011 Endurance
019 R Hornet Hole
01A The Ever-Restless Green Hill
022 Chase that Koopa 2
106 Splatter Mountain
114 Oh-So-Sultry Cave
11A Saikano
11E I Choose You!!
127 What the Sea Lacks is Speed

B Rank (Getting there):
003 Morton's Swaying Castle
006 Greengrowth Walking Path
00F Flooding Castle 2
016 The Alarming Attractions
01C M O U N T A I N C L I M B I N G
10A The Three Colors of the Horse
10E A Slippery Place
123 Stickin' Springs
12A *skipskip* *glubglub*
130 Sky Die-ving

C Rank (Not bad but could be better):
001 Juice Sea
00A The Beanstalk Tree
014 The Wonders of Nature
017 Riding the Flowing Clouds
01B Inside the Jar
01F Red Hot Spring
10C Among the Clouds?
107 Boo Block House
115 Chargin' Chuck Playground
116 The Frozen Ghosthouse
119 Clear Skies Athletic
128 Super Malice World

D Rank (???):
005 The Unnamed Road
012 Scale the Castle Walls
108 Invest Wisely
Image Image
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a bicycle to those who want to ride it where they like

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Guess I'll drop some more commentary here.

Larry's Mysterious Machines is actually somewhat of an in-name-only reference to the final Koopaling castle in VIP 3, the one right before Bowser's castle. In our retranslation of VIP 3 we put the name of that as "Larry's Mysterious Machinations", since the Japanese name worked off of a pun where the word 'kikai' could mean either 'grotesque/mysterious' or 'machine'. 'Machinations' instead of 'machines' because it had the same amount of syllables as 'mysterious', and even though the dictionary meaning isn't the same, to me it still evokes a devious and mechanical image in line with the theme of the stage, which is lots of saws, (strangely harmless) burners and spikes, as well as Bowser's portrait looking on in the background.

But that's VIP 3. The name for the level in VIP 5 is exactly the same except there's a glottal stop put in there for emphasis ('kikkai' instead of 'kikai'). The article it has on the strategy wiki even makes a joke along the lines of "Heard that name before? 'cause I sure haven't!"
We decided to use the word 'machines' here instead. Maybe the level names would've been better switched between the hacks, but that's hindsight.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a bicycle to those who want to ride it where they like

Post by raocow »

I don't know why, but there's something amusing to me about just reusing a name fullstop.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like a rainbow in the dark

Post by Awoo »

I just wanted to make a Ronny James Dio reference with the subject line

nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people (read 25+) bored of current trends

Post by Ashan »

Man this thread is quiet. What's up with that?

My best guess is something to do with it being a redo and Vip5 releasing late enough that nobody really has "nostalgia" for it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people (read 25+) bored of current trends

Post by raocow »

yeah, I guess there isn't much to say. I hope peeps are enjoying the videos though
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I haven't had much to say, myself... other than, perhaps, how amusing I find it that a lot of "references" in this game are both to ridiculously obscure, arbitrary things... and often, the only "reference" is in the level name and a couple text boxes, with the level itself just being a fairly standard SMW hack romp.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

it's lovely background noise for breakfast so thank you :catplanet:
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

This has been a fun LP. The VIP replays in general have been fascinating as far as showing how much raocow has progressed at the game over the years (and how his videos in general have evolved), though it's been long enough that the videos still feel like mostly new stuff unless I actually seek out one of the older videos to compare. It's also neat to compare it to more modern stuff like JUMP 1/2 and see how level design trends have changed over time or between communities.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like nostalgia to old people (read 30+) bored of current trends

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: yeah, I guess there isn't much to say. I hope peeps are enjoying the videos though
It's super neat and I don't remember much about your original VIP5 playthrough, so I'm enjoying it quite a bit :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yeah, I'm definitely enjoying the series, I guess everything kinda just speaks for itself

I guess the other thing contributing to the conversation drought is that things have been going really well in the levels themselves. Like, no huge issues with completing levels, no huge issues with finding vip coins, no huge issues with finding secret exits. Overall pretty smooth sailing!
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Yeah, it's been a nice time. I remember the VIP5 making a big impression on me at the time, but with how far SMW hacking has gotten, and how much better raocow is at the game now, i guess we spend less time on every single thing that one could talk about, albeit still being an enjoyable watch. I imagine that when we get to the late/post-game stuff, we'll see some more activity.
ImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I actually totally missed the original playthrough somehow and haven't played VIP 5 myself yet so this is all new to me.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I’m one of those weirdos who thinks SMW is a bit too slippery, and thinks SMB 3 is tight.

This is despite having played a lot more SMW.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like mammoth-sized lungs to a trumpeter playing Moto Perpetuo

Post by Veruchai »

Got really confused again about my amazing memory for a bit, but ended up remembering this post:
Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago In today's racoow is like "Yeah the VIPs never ask you do any weird stunts like shell jumping."
Seems you've completely forgotten about this level.
Jump 1/2 used alot of gimmicks but was there ever any other level that utilized this glitch? I think this is like the only hack I've seen use it.
Looks like it went much, much better this time indeed.
cozyduck

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like the phenomenon of angled light reflection to discos around the world

Post by cozyduck »

As for your question in todays vid, yes, there are kaizo hacks that have included Yoshi flight. Fly me to the stars, Carl's hack focused on flight tricks, comes to mind.
You can also extend Yoshi's tongue and then do the pump while Yoshi's tongue is out to prevent Yoshi from trying to change direction mid-flight, but it's tricky to do so, see here:
[yt][/yt]
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 5 2019 - Like the phenomenon of angled light reflection to discos around the world

Post by Blivsey »

man, that secret exit looks like the exact kind of thing I would hate to play
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes