(shouting)

Unfinished raocow LPs

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Unfinished raocow LPs

Post by YelseyKing »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago There is a bit of a fine line regarding games with mutiple playable characters. Maybe that line can be determined by how much their playthrough changes the game itself, level and storywise?
A couple of points about this. First off, how much playing as another character changes up a game is subjective in the first place; due to differing play styles in general, one person could find that playing as Character B radically alters the entire experience, while someone else might find that it changes their overall strategy in maybe three places, tops.

Second, the way multiple characters are handled in games can vary wildly, period, and a large number of these are instances like the Castlevania games where the secondary characters' playthroughs tend to amount to "replay the game, except with most of the gameplay features and story stripped out", maybe changing one or two bosses accordingly (if they even go that far; some "alternate character" modes in Castlevania games literally have a character fight *himself* at some point). I've never played those modes, nor do I count them towards having "completed" a game because they're just not that much fun to me.

There are *some* games where it's important to play as both characters. Though it's not a game raocow would ever LP, a good example is Kartia, an obscure PS1 strategy RPG. You have a choice of two characters, and not only do each of them have a completely different campaign, with different battles, allies, and plot, but the two questlines are interconnected, and if you want the whole plot, you *have* to play both. Most games, however, don't do this, and vary in only minor ways depending on who you pick.

And that leads to my main point: In terms of an LP, unless the other character has an *entirely* different route through the game, such replays tend to feel more like padding than anything, as the biggest difference is generally "they play somewhat differently" -- which doesn't always really show up when watching someone else play -- and we've already seen basically everything else the game had to offer anyway. The Zero replay of Megaman X4 is the sort of thing I'm talking about. It had one different boss fight, a few different cutscenes, and required maybe a handful of different strategies, but otherwise, it was just a nearly identical second run through a game we just saw raocow beat. The only "new" stuff was seeing how Zero would handle different obstacles/enemies, but that didn't ultimately amount to much, either. Yes, MMX4 was short enough that it didn't make things take *that* much longer, but with a bigger game... yeah, it could get to be a thing.

And, of course, at the end of the day, we *are* just the viewers, not the players, here. If raocow decides he enjoyed a game enough to do a full replay with another character, great. If he didn't enjoy the game enough for that, or just doesn't feel it's worth his time (or ours) to do that, then we shouldn't keep nagging him about it, either. The same is also true with overly difficult or tedious optional post-game stuff.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If raocow has stated interest in playing a game again as another character (which I believe currently consists of MegaMan ZX Advent, Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel, and Copy Kitty), then that's fine. If he doesn't, then assume he's done LPing the game, or at least ask
YelseyKing wrote: There are *some* games where it's important to play as both characters. Though it's not a game raocow would ever LP, a good example is Kartia, an obscure PS1 strategy RPG. You have a choice of two characters, and not only do each of them have a completely different campaign, with different battles, allies, and plot, but the two questlines are interconnected, and if you want the whole plot, you *have* to play both. Most games, however, don't do this, and vary in only minor ways depending on who you pick.
As another example, he's already confirmed for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, he'll do 2 playthroughs as both Sonic and Knuckles, but won't be doing a playthrough as Tails.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago As another example, he's already confirmed for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, he'll do 2 playthroughs as both Sonic and Knuckles, but won't be doing a playthrough as Tails.
I haven't played that, but I've heard that Knuckles gets some different levels and different routes through the levels that *are* shared, so that works, yeah.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I agree with pretty much everything Yelseyking said.

Also adding Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel, since I had forgotten raocow said he will want to return to play the alt character.

I'm also going to be changing the description of this topic from 'information' topic, to 'resource' topic, since that's a better fit.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

I think reception to this would be entirely different if the title was "Non-100% raocow LPs", because that's what it actually is. You don't need to 100% a game to finish it, and you especially don't need to 100% a game to finish an LP of it.

But either way, what's the point of listing things like this-
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago
  • Mari Ari (rage quitted, and deleted on camera)
He's not going to come back to it, clearly. It's a finished LP-the LP finished with the game's deletion. It's over, and listing it like this to me seems at absolute best an unpleasant reminder.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Well ofcourse there's no way he'll return to that one. I still feel it's important to document it. Especially since it's rao's 1st abandoned game (that I'm aware of).

I don't see it as an unpleasant reminder, but a near decade old event that deserves a light chuckle.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Sebby19 wrote:I still feel it's important to document it.
It doesn't matter in the end but I really don't understand what's "important" about it and I feel like if people brought up me rage quitting a game many years after the fact that would be. pretty annoying
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I don't see it as an unpleasant reminder, but a near decade old event that deserves a light chuckle.
YOU might not, and that's the problem. This has nothing to do with what you think.

At best, this should be a "revisit" list. At least people can reference that to see things that exceed even the scope of Coming Up Next.

Dredging up old demons is something no one else has any excuse doing in this situation. That's something everyone has to decide they want to face again on their own terms, not yours.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

The page transition seems to have eaten this, so I'll ask again.

Why not separate this list into two sublists: one of "games raocow has put on hold and plans to come back to" and one of "games raocow has said he will not return to"? That way one list will be useful to us immediately as a list of "games not to worry about suggesting since they're already on his radar" and the other will be useful for archival (which seems to have been the original point of the list).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Dredging up old demons is something no one else has any excuse doing in this situation. That's something everyone has to decide they want to face again on their own terms, not yours.
this paragraph is about mariari
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Dredging up old demons? Woah man... take Grounder's advice, you're taking this way seriously.

As for two lists, I don't think there are enough games to justify that.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

There aren't enough games to justify separate threads, but as it stands now you have "games raocow will come back to some day", "games raocow might get back to one day", and "MariAri" all in the same "Unfinished" category, when they're all in varying states of Unfinished.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Thankyou for the succinct summery of this topic's purpose.
I would put Valdis Story and Doomsday under the MariAri category.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I would put Valdis Story and Doomsday under the MariAri category.
I would update the OP to reflect that, then! :catplanet:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I've prettied up the first post, edited the intro slightly as well, and added links to (almost) all the LP topics. I've noticed the while Copy Kitty has only ever had the one topic (its 6 years old!), Shovel Knight was indeed split into separate topics. Bit awkward.

I also finally had a chance to look at the google doc SAJewers linked (I'm mostly on my 3DS or Wii U, I'm a weirdo). The only remaining game I could possibly add to the list is Mega Man ZX Advent "Ashe Run".

I've mentioned before that I'm not including anything from under the "All the Megamen (and S@nics)" umbrellas. So I need to know, when rao does return to that game, will it be under the "All the Megamen" banner?
And if the same is true for the Mega Man Rush Marine game, I'll remove it from the list.

About splitting the list into 'categories', I'd rather not do that since there is only 12 games on there. I don't think it's warranted, and would only take up more space than needed. And the master list will only shrink with time (hopefully).
I did think about making them colour coded, but then I added hyperlinks. I could maybe replace the dots with coloured symbols?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I believe the plan was for the Ashe playthrough of ZX Advent to be a B-side LP.

Also, if the Shovel Knight expansion is there, you should probably add the Cuphead and Celeste DLC too.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim

Post by WhimWidget »

Sebby19 wrote:I've noticed the while Copy Kitty has only ever had the one topic (its 6 years old!), Shovel Knight was indeed split into separate topics. Bit awkward.
It's kind of extra unfortunate with Copy Kitty since the final version is considerably different and distinct in design, pacing and cinematics for visuals and gameplay, yet expected to be more of the same.
Hope it gets another thread the next time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago I believe the plan was for the Ashe playthrough of ZX Advent to be a B-side LP.

Also, if the Shovel Knight expansion is there, you should probably add the Cuphead and Celeste DLC too.
Added Mega Man ZX Advent.

And this is the first time I've heard about a possible return to those games. Did raocow say so? (maybe's don't count)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoAnd this is the first time I've heard about a possible return to those games. Did raocow say so? (maybe's don't count)
I don't know about Cuphead but I'm almost certain he said he intends to play the Celeste stuff.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

While Iji is considered finished, I wonder if he'll return to do a pacifist run.

The creator added pacifist weapons, so you'll have an easier time surviving and leveling up.
Before, the 'best' way to maintain a good levels and stats is to face-tank explosions, and use the splash damage to kill everything around you.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

While it looks like we'll be getting one more bonus video of DT3, I've removed it from the list now, since even without tomorrow's vid, the LP would be considered finished anyways.

As for BROS, it's status is currently just a '1-off', so we'll see after Tuesday if I add it (since like Big Fish Legends, it'll be going on hiatus after every episode).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica