(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Chirei

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Drama Mistery

Post by Chirei »

yeah I remember this part of the game, good times

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years ago On the topic of things I've said before, I had mentioned that it felt a bit weird that the process of getting the first Beanstar piece is a far greater endeavor than any of the other pieces. Thinking about it though, I can understand why; if each Beanstar piece had it's own new area to explore in order to find it the player's level could vary drastically depending on what order they went. This could easily result in situations where the enemies end up being either too strong or too weak.
Yeah, if you're allowing the player to collect them in any order, then those areas have to be balanced similarly. The only way you could make them as large of an endeavor as the fist one would be to give them an explicit order that you have to collect them in (and thus removing the choice and seeming open-endedness), or have the monsters scale, which arguably is a fundamental design change.
Chirei wrote: 4 years ago yeah I remember this part of the game, good times

This is probably your best one yet.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years agoOn the topic of things I've said before, I had mentioned that it felt a bit weird that the process of getting the first Beanstar piece is a far greater endeavor than any of the other pieces. Thinking about it though, I can understand why; if each Beanstar piece had it's own new area to explore in order to find it the player's level could vary drastically depending on what order they went. This could easily result in situations where the enemies end up being either too strong or too weak.
The first piece is kinda of just an excuse to give you a new scenario in a new place where you get new powers, and the rest are little mini things are are locked behind the new powers to ensure you did that one piece first. Maybe it's setting up the idea that getting an individual piece is a bigger deal than it is, but it could just as easily be a situation where the beanstar was split into 3 pieces, the pieces you get that aren't as big a deal, and they found another excuse to get you to the island.
Nast

Post by Nast »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Is that really spoilers? I'm normally against spoilers, but I don't really consider that a spoiler at all. *shrug* Maybe it is, i dunno.

(...)
In the VIP5 example, that's a piece of content we were never going to see in the LP because raocow has no reason to return to that level. It would be better compared to a post like this:
ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago At least it's interesting that he steals your hammers and uses them against you. He also has an attack where he goes to get his thief bag and tosses a bunch of stuff from them (start at 1:59):

That boss is done with, so no harm in showing off stuff in it that raocow missed, imo.

But regarding bonus areas he's yet to find, or the existence/inexistence of certain content, there's always the chance for raocow to discover it by himself, whether that's through detours like in today's episode, or some kind of clean-up video later down the line. On that note, Blivsey has the right idea imo - compile everything he has missed, that he might want to check out, and save it for near the end of the game /an ideal clean-up point, to let him consult if he wishes.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago yeah I remember this part of the game, good times

okay but are we SURE he's a real zero when the design is so different
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Oh yeah totally, having a "you missed all this stuff and will never see it" post near the end is the way to go.

I think the thing is is that the things that are being casually given out are things that aren't required to complete the game, and its knowledge won't alter/effect dramatically the lp later down the line. Just because raocow might now know there is one more secret thingy probably won't cause him to now suddenly try to spend a video to try and find it. While technically it is spoiling according to the letter of the word, i'd argue it's mostly inconsequential since raocow would never know otherwise and doesn't really affect the game in any noticable way; if he happens to stumble upon it, good for him, if he doesn't, he probably wouldn't care (and it wasn't explicitly said where it was), which is why i find it ok.

Though yes, it should be all confined into one post near the end (or after it's all but guranteed he'll never see it/show it int the lp).
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Go read the previous post ometeotl made and the context it was in/what it was a response to. We really shouldn't be paying attention to/starting conversations based on anything he says.

(

Also yeah imo "there isn't a postgame" isn't a spoiler

)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Go read the previous post ometeotl made and the context it was in/what it was a response to. We really shouldn't be paying attention to/starting conversations based on anything he says.
I looked at his previous post and I don't really understand what you mean with this? Honest question
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Notte Luminosa

Post by thatguyif »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Also, why is the current thread title referencing the Cursed ROM Hack?
raocow played it
That doesn't mean we should mention it! There are more than enough ROM hacks left that we could've finished the game/thread without it, sheesh

Remake notes, yay:
  • As with the Chuckle Beans, Fruit Beans are easier to dig up in the remake. There is a lot more let to be had.
  • The resulting Yoshi Theater sign is actually a bit different in the remake, mainly because it looks like a neon sign.
Moving ahead, I'm about 2-4 videos ahead now. That should give me enough time to finish Bowser's Minions. And then I'll give my take of it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Bowser's Minion's can get real grindy near the end, make sure you set some time aside. I think you also need to beat the main game before you're allowed to beat Minion's.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago
Leet wrote: 4 years ago Go read the previous post ometeotl made and the context it was in/what it was a response to. We really shouldn't be paying attention to/starting conversations based on anything he says.
I looked at his previous post and I don't really understand what you mean with this? Honest question
a good chunk of his ( recent, anyway ) posts are like 50% vitriol, with a smaller but still significant chunk of 'em being pure vitriol

basically even when he has a point it's pretty much always spat out in the least pleasant way possible so they're not great bases for spin a conversation off of
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I was referring to the fact that he last entered the "spoiler" conversation by (accidentally) implying that people who were critical of spoilers "didn't have any valid points" because he had no clue what anyone was actually talking about
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So glad raocow finally explored the fields. I was hoping he would find those 2D sections.

There is actually one more 2D section. I don't remember exactly where it is, but I think its straight left of the desert entrance (not in the desert, just left of the entrance).

Thus concludes the 'collect the plot coupons' portion of the story. Now to assemble the Macguffin.
That spoilered part wasn't in the boxes originally. Warned you about that and had been getting multiple reports lately. Enjoy a few days off. I'll reactivate your account after the video on the 12th. Try not to do the unmarked spoilers thing again.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

A bit late with this and it looks like the hammer was finally dropped while I was typing this post up, but may I just add that it really should be a matter of general courtesy to respond to spoiler-tagged posts in kind even if you don't personally consider the thing they're talking about a spoiler. If not toward the person who would potentially be spoiled then at least be considerate of the person worried about giving/prompting the spoiler.

Like, if someone whispers something to you in the presence of other people you don't repeat their question/statement at full volume for everyone else to hear.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago Piranha Bean drops one of two items, the Piranha Swing or Piranha Suit, depending on the method by which you defeat it. But there's no way to get both; you can only get one or the other, meaning it's impossible to collect every item in the game. They fixed it in the remake, so it's definitely a mistake. OOPS
I disagree that it changing in the remake means it was a mistake or oversight in the original. Alphadream may just have reasoned that these items are nowhere near "special" enough that a player would feel bad about missing one of them... Which is definitely how I feel about this. And then they may have changed their mind during the many years between the original and the remake.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago Oh yeah totally, having a "you missed all this stuff and will never see it" post near the end is the way to go.

I think the thing is is that the things that are being casually given out are things that aren't required to complete the game, and its knowledge won't alter/effect dramatically the lp later down the line. Just because raocow might now know there is one more secret thingy probably won't cause him to now suddenly try to spend a video to try and find it. While technically it is spoiling according to the letter of the word, i'd argue it's mostly inconsequential since raocow would never know otherwise and doesn't really affect the game in any noticable way; if he happens to stumble upon it, good for him, if he doesn't, he probably wouldn't care (and it wasn't explicitly said where it was), which is why i find it ok.

Though yes, it should be all confined into one post near the end (or after it's all but guranteed he'll never see it/show it int the lp).
Re-reading his post I somehow missed how explicit he was in stating

where the last one was

, so part of my post is slightly incorrect.

One final thing I will say though, is that it would be nice for raocow to come out and explicitly define and codify what he considers to be do's and don'ts for spoilers and backseating, so we all have can agree on what is and isn't a bannable offence, rather than the current situation of people arguing something they said isn't backseating/spoiling, or putting every single thing into a spoiler tag for fear of accidentally spoiling something or coming off as backseating.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean it's hard for me to say what's a spoiler when I don't know what it's the game.

I thought it was always pretty clear to just.. like, keep it to what's been on video and things that have been permanently missed or obviously don't care about.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago obviously don't care about
Regrettably, people seem to have differing opinions on what they think you don't care about
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Aside from that point above, that can probably do.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
a good chunk of his ( recent, anyway ) posts are like 50% vitriol, with a smaller but still significant chunk of 'em being pure vitriol

basically even when he has a point it's pretty much always spat out in the least pleasant way possible so they're not great bases for spin a conversation off of
Now that he's been brought up, some real talk:
If he is causing that much of an issue, to the point that people are saying he has a pattern of problematic conduct, I wonder why the community is just letting him be. Shouldn't the community bring this to attention and deal with this - and mods, if warranted?

I've been witnessing this kind of consistent behavior since as far back as 2011, and when I brought it up, people didn't want to hear venting about him all that much, and I knew that. But now it's apparent that multiple people see the problem here, that it's not just me.

This is why I felt sometimes that we're being too hard on Sebby. The community is eager to gang up en masse on him, so why hasn't the community be willing to collectively do something about Ometeotl? Throughout this year, as I saw talkhaus turn their focus on Sebby, I couldn't help but feel "You know, where were you guys when I spoke up about Ometeotl".
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I mean, a lot of the perceived hate for sebby can be attributed to the Soldexus LP, which some considered quite a dud. A lot of it is probably unwarranted (also the la-mulana lp and people instance of zero tolerance for spoilers and backseating probably didn't help things either, since i seem to recall (or maybe i'm misremembering) prior lp threads accidental spoilers were ok if they weren't overly explicit and major and minor backseating was ok as long as one wasn't pushing it too hard)

And it's not just one person who imo has been uncivil at times. Honestly though, I'd take it up with the mods and let them deal with it

Also, if we continue this discussion, we should move this to the backseating thread
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I mean this particular tangent isn't about spoilers or demanding the player
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
This is why I felt sometimes that we're being too hard on Sebby. The community is eager to gang up en masse on him, so why hasn't the community be willing to collectively do something about Ometeotl? Throughout this year, as I saw talkhaus turn their focus on Sebby, I couldn't help but feel "You know, where were you guys when I spoke up about Ometeotl".
A person potentially ruining the main content by nudging raocow's decisions in the game to their whims is easily more damaging to raocow's audience and raocow himself as opposed to some duder being cynical for the sake of being cynical in a forum less than 1/4 of those people will ever see them speak on.

Not trying to say the latter is not a problem, but it is definitely a more exclusive problem that has less people involved (and is frankly harder to talk about or deal with in the open.)
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Apocalypse of Foroze

Post by ano0maly »

(setting aside this conversation for a moment) - moved offthread

I would recommend exploring the rest of the ocean you can surf on before climbing Joke's End.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.