(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - VIP 5

Post by Zummorr »

raocow: I'll use lemons on pretty much every single boss in Megaman and deliberately avoid using weaknesses and special weapons.

Also raocow: Dump everything into power! One-shot the world! My mere touch shall bring death and ruin!

The dude should play however he wants.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

obviously he's trying to make it closer to the platformers
but yeah, if he wants to use mush badge, more power to him but it IS making everything super trivial :ehh:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Jeeeeeez, let the guy play

Anyway, a few remake notes:
  • Bink doesn't look like skeleton Donkey Kong in the remake. He just looks like one of the crew, to give the impression that it's the same guy you spoke to in order to work.
  • I want to say the minimum score for the Barrel game went up in the remake. Pretty sure it wasn't 9.
  • The music for the mini-game is different. The remake uses the mini-game theme from Dream Team.
  • Again, the underwater segments allow the brothers to swim to the top of the rooms in the remake rather than to a stupid arbitrary height. This makes the platforming in the underwater segment you went through completely irrelevant, and grants you further access into the sea segment (that part east you briefly visited at the end of the video, for example).
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago It's not a graphical limitation of the GBA, it was just a single piece of the triforce rather than all 3 pieces. Like the piece you build in Zelda 1 and Wind Waker.
Regardless, the remake shows it being the entire Triforce.

Anyway, with raocow's use of it...does that mean he's Ganondorf? :kood:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

i like barrel game
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That's probably the Triforce of Power in this game then.

So for the previous two minigames, here is the score thresholds for how many Hee Beans you can win if you ever replay them:
Star Stache Smash
Score=Hee Beans
200 = 2
240 = 3
280 = 4
320 = 5
360 = 6
401 = 7
441 = 8
480 = 9
This is easily the best game to get Hee Beans from

Barrel Game
Score=Hee Beans
10 = 1
11 = 2
15 = 3
20 = 5
25 = 7
30 = 8
35 = 9
And I hate this minigame. To hard for it's own good, and I don't see how anybody could even reach 20 points without getting lucky with combos. Eventually green barrels are thrown at you!

And while the S.S. Chuckola is forever closed, there is a way to replay this awful minigame, later on.
Last edited by Sebby19 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago i like barrel game
kinda wish auto was the skeleton for some reason

unless that is auto and i'm just an idiot
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Chirei wrote: 4 years agoI think this is the wrong LPer to watch if that's what you're looking for in games
No, I'm watching the right guy. I've seen Copy Kitty.
SirChasm wrote:I think the general fear is that there's going to come a time where seeing gigantic numbers stops being exciting. The DPS strategy works, and is functional, but also takes a lot away from what makes this game stand out compared to other RPGs in terms of gameplay. Without the need to use dodges, or learn proper command prompts, it's might not feel much different than watching your sword-wielding hero slay whoever they're dealing with by just mashing through the menu to earn EXP and move on.

Maybe it's just the sense of "can he do it" that people look for in a Let's Play that's lacking, but I guess there could potentially be a boss that gives us that thrill instead.
Meanwhile this guy makes a good point.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago unless that is auto and i'm just an idiot
it's the famous capcom character, dynamo kong
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago it's the famous capcom character, dynamo kong
You forgot the hair
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - HACK

Post by Alice »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years agoSounds like it's time for my quasianual mention of XPadder.
Might want to consider elaborating for those of us who have no idea what that is.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoYeah, sure, just ignore that Rwars said it first.
I've already said this in the other thread but you need to quit getting defensive when people call you out. It does not help the situation at all and only makes people more likely to continue to call you out because it's basically the same as digging your heels in again.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
Chirei wrote: 4 years ago i like barrel game
kinda wish auto was the skeleton for some reason

unless that is auto and i'm just an idiot
Did Auto even exist at the same time as X and Zero at any point in the lore?

Although I guess he could have died and became a skeleton. Never mind, I'll allow it
Shard1697

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Great Empire

Post by Shard1697 »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I think Mush Badge would work out fine if he sees the high damage from it, sees that he doesn't need to invest as much in POW, and therefore uses points elsewhere. There's not much point of raising attack when you know you're reliably taking out normal enemies in one or two hits usually.
It works out fine period because it's funny
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 4 years agoSounds like it's time for my quasianual mention of XPadder.
Might want to consider elaborating for those of us who have no idea what that is.
It's a program that lets you emulate keyboard and mouse functions with a controller.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

guys the monkey skeleton is clearly supposed to be douglas
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

They say Donkey Kong was the first member of the DK Crew, but clearly, the Kong dynasty goes back a long way before him. Where does Bink fit into this?
ImageImage
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Psycho Waluigi

Post by Grounder »

today mario and luigi visit a fishy massage parlor, get extorted into burglary, and give two happy endings
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I love the Boomerang Bro design in this game, it's so rad. Pretty sure they used the bog-standard modern designs in the remake, though...
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

There seems to be a sound effect bug with the firebrand dash technique. When you use it to bump over a fat koopa it keeps playing the dash sound effect. It's not an emulator issue either, it does this on the GBA too.

Also I just noticed this but why would the fish ladies refer to the beanstar piece as having fallen from the sky? It originally fell from the sky but this one landed on the ship and then made its way from the ocean into Gwarhar Lagoon, so wouldn't they have found it washed up on shore?
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago
Alice wrote: 4 years ago Might want to consider elaborating for those of us who have no idea what that is.
It's a program that lets you emulate keyboard and mouse functions with a controller.
I'm not sure how that would help with emulating the DS touchscreen

Anyway, remake notes start with a quote:
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago I love the Boomerang Bro design in this game, it's so rad. Pretty sure they used the bog-standard modern designs in the remake, though...
Actually, they did retain their design in the remake! There were only a couple enemies that got remade into modern variants, from what we've seen so far:
  • Lakipea -> Lakitu
  • Mecha-Chomp -> Mechakoopa
There's actually a segment in Bowser's Minions where they comment on this. The minions discover a Troopea and Captain Goomba confuses him for a regular Koopa. One of the minions corrects him. This is why I can accept the "food sickness" bit as plausible, since the game acknowledges similar but different biomes.

Continuing on...
  • With that said, the weirdo fat Koopas that have been blocking us this entire game got changed to giant Koopas in the remake. (I didn't put them in the list above because they're not enemies, per se.)
  • Once more, the remake made underwater sections much easier by letting you swim to the ceilings of the room. This makes the other mechanic of these sections shown today (the waterspout), again, irrelevant.
  • The "shark" enemies actually do a big tell in the remake to differentiate between the real ones and the fake (there is always and only one fake).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Also I just noticed this but why would the fish ladies refer to the beanstar piece as having fallen from the sky? It originally fell from the sky but this one landed on the ship and then made its way from the ocean into Gwarhar Lagoon, so wouldn't they have found it washed up on shore?
I would guess that they might have seen it when it initially fell, but from their dialogue it doesn't seem like they've seen it since then. It's also possible that they haven't seen it at all and they've just heard about it, which also seems reasonable given that they seem to be really into gossip.

Anyway, it looks like raocow's been experiencing a bit of the downsides of the double edged sword that is the Great Force. For a while I was even wondering if he was going to get a game over (speaking of that, I already worry a bit when raocow just walks by a save point after having played for a while, so when he did so today I was considerably worried). It still seems to be working fairly well, but the game seems to be upping the number of enemies in encounters, so the strategy of wiping out the enemies before they get to do anything isn't going to work as well anymore (well, unless raocow destroys them all with a first strike).

Anyway, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +14 (+3 +2 +2 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +34 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +21 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +34 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +24 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5) (+4)

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Alice wrote: 4 years ago Might want to consider elaborating for those of us who have no idea what that is.
presumably you can use xpadder to map controller buttons or keyboard keys to mouse inputs?

if that doesn't work, there's this tutorial on the citra subreddit for using autohotkey to do that

edit: though i guess also another option could be to have one hand on the d-pad and one hand on the mouse

also, might be sorta supported in melonds in the future
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Great Empire

Post by Classtoise »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I think Mush Badge would work out fine if he sees the high damage from it, sees that he doesn't need to invest as much in POW, and therefore uses points elsewhere. There's not much point of raising attack when you know you're reliably taking out normal enemies in one or two hits usually.
Unacceptable.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I'm a video behind, but it looks like raocow is starting to notice the thing that bugged me about this game back when I first played it. Each area is basically a cheap wacky performance by a few throwaway characters that you never see again. Terrible things happen and then you can't check back, and that really frustrated me. It probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if I hadn't already been used to the writing and characters of the Paper Mario games.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yo rao, Bros. Attacks are based on field moves. And you just learned two new ones.

You'll notice there has been a theme concerning green and red pairs. The Starshade Bros., Hammerhead Bros., the two brothers in the Chuckola Chateau, and most recently the Jellyfish sisters.

Yeah, it's getting kinda boring watching the fights now...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
That's fine.

PS: Hint: Most emulators use mouse input to interact with touch screen input.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.