(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Post by ano0maly »

Wonder if anyone else is looking forward to this as much as I am

Episode List
(please let me know if a link doesn't work correctly)
1 - house
2 - wilt thou go to the barracks, johnny?
3a - line
3b - highland
4 - whirling
5 - ballo
6 - dragon
7 - geommu
8 - para para
9 - hornpipe
10 - court
11 - dutty wine
12 - gambuh
13 - napoloni
14 - breakaway
15 - squat
16 - hootchy-kootchy
17 - vira
18 - jumpstyle
19 - starotikveško
20 - candle
21 - cabbage patch
22 - sanding
23 - arcan
24 - swing
25 - bamboula
26 - bomba
27 - hand jive
28 - garland
29 - vintage
30 - circle
31 - john wall
32 - big apple
33 - bboying
34 - double bugg
35 - egg
36 - dab
37 - court
FINAL - 38 - belly

A very creative RPG title made for the Mario & Luigi brothers and the related cast. The game combines a pretty witty story with original characters and settings, a decent set of RPG mechanics, fun action puzzles, and humorous references to the franchise. The GBA game also comes with a port of the classic Mario Bros. game, just like with the GBA ports at the time of NES and SNES Mario games (even though in the case of Superstar Saga it's not a ported game).

The game was later remade for Nintendo 3DS, which features not only graphical changes but also some tweaks relevant to gameplay. It contains a new side game called Minion Quest: The Search for Bowser in lieu of the Mario Bros. game. I don't know the contents of this port, but it would be interesting for people who do to share some comparative information on it.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 51 times in total.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Post by tangy »

Its gonna be an experience
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Dag nabbit, you sniped me. I had a draft I made at work saved and ready to go when I came home.

Co-host?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this is it luigi
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Co-host?
I hate to be rude but I don't think anyone would want that
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

am looking forwards to Mario & Luigi: Superstore SEGA
video games
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess I just repost my intro to the game here:
Looking forward to raocow's first turn-based RPG! Wish him luck!

For those who don't know, this GBA game is the first entry (of 5) in the 3rd Mario rpg series. The 1st being the grandfather Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. The 2nd is its brother, Paper Mario.

Mario & Luigi differentiates itself by taking the timed hits/action commands from the other Mario rpg games, and cranks them up to elaborate quick time events. Unlike the other two series (with few exceptions), your party is mostly limited to the main Mario Bros duo.

I'll being doing a mini-guide, like I've done before. This time it'll be just focused on the game's special attacks, as raocow unlocks them.
Last edited by Sebby19 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

:iris:
Edit: i apologize in advance to the coppers
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Impressive start to the thread. Really surpassed yourself chaps
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago Impressive start to the thread. Really surpassed yourself chaps
As if this isn't how all LP thread page 1s go as of late :sandwich:

That said, I am looking forward to this, but as ever concerned by the size of the project. Unlike other ones where I feared for raocow's sanity (La-Mulana, which went incredibly smoothly overall) this is an RPG, and there's gonna be a lot of cutscenes and talking. Hope raocow does some vocal warmup exercises beforehand, or this could be bad for him!
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago Impressive start to the thread. Really surpassed yourself chaps
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

This is indeed an RPG. I expect everyone to be on their best behaviors. This being something new to raocow as LPs go, I do believe he shall need all the breathing space he needs to figure out how he'll make it work. Mind the fact that depending on how things go, this RPG could very well be the first and the last. Be clement, be careful, and keep your hands off. I shall give the evil eye to whomever makes this first foray more difficult than it already would be.

Evil Eyes Given:

3 Evil Eyes to Sebby19 (the LP hasn't even started yet)
Last edited by Mandew 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
video games
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

This is one of my childhood favorites. In 1st/2nd grade we had to write journal entries every day so the teachers could gauge our writing abilities, and I had quite a few entries that were just about where I was in this game -- with illustrations!
I might be able to find those and post them when we get to those sections in the game.

I did find out after playing through it again a few years ago that it's also kinda broken. You can get super OP very easily, and that's one thing they fixed in the remake. But I think in general I like the original more.
I've played through all the games in this series at least once. None of the sequels really had the writing charm of the first game, and some were just offensively vanilla (mainly talking about Paper Jam). I'm hoping they can rectify this in the next game, which I'm crossing my fingers will be announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct this year.

I'm curious how an LP of this will go, because as far as I know this will be raocow's first RPG LP. He's usually pretty respectful with editing, so I'm curious how he'll cut it down.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years agoHope raocow does some vocal warmup exercises beforehand, or this could be bad for him!
This is a good idea. I hope he voices the villians, looking forward to that.

I first played this game on emulator, and had a blast. Unfortunately I had a bad rom, so there was a game breaking glitch 75% of the way through, making it unwinnable. But I enjoyed the game so much, I downloaded a better rom, and started over!
I now have the game on the Wii U's VC, and own the 3DS remake.

And Ashan if you can find that stuff, it will be frickin adorable.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

My prediction, as before, is that this LP will not be completed.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

How much you willin' to wager? :iris:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

just dropping by to say that if raocow ever needs to grind or runs into a random encounter that isn't the first apparance of an enemy, to not include those on video so as to not bloat the videos

that's honestly the only way a turn based rpg vlp could go right and that's how most people on youtube handle it

i still think this is a bad idea considering raocow doesnt really play rpgs nowadays but w/e
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

I have a complicated history with the Mario & Luigi games. I was more or less enjoying the hell out of the game right up until near the end, when I realized I was badly underleveled and the enemies were nearly impossible to beat. I later went back and replayed it (maybe a year later) using a Codebreaker for my GBA to give me better level up bonuses. Definitely had an easier time.

A couple years ago I started to replay it again, via emulator, without cheating and just made an effort to grind a bit more and.. maybe save state so I could get a halfway decent bonus (instead of just a 9). Was going well, was enjoying myself, and then the 3DS remake dropped and I kinda switched to that instead. Unfortunately, the sheer level of meat-gating and grinding required for Bowser's Minions eventually drove me off. Which is a shame cause that was a really cute story they had going.

The other games are good, Superstar Saga is good, but they all kinda suffer from "learn to dodge attacks you've never encountered before on your first try" syndrome. Dream Team I kinda.. gave up on because the dream fights got to be too punishing. I miss Paper Mario with it's far more reasonably difficulty, but Miyamoto put a stop to those.
Ivy
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

I hope he makes it to

Joke's End

, at least, to see that little name gimmick to completion
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I only had a few minute gap available when I made the thread. I'm willing to formulate a detailed OP when I get home.
Leet wrote: 4 years ago My prediction, as before, is that this LP will not be completed.
People said that about La-Mulana, but we made it through with the help of people. We can make it through this too.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoI'll being doing a mini-guide, like I've done before. This time it'll be just focused on the game's special attacks, as raocow unlocks them.
You post major spoilers (plot or gameplay stuff that hasn't happened yet) without the proper ispoiler tags, you're getting a temp ban from here. Whether it's a week or until the end of the game, I'll talk that one over. Saying this to you now after the Wario Land debacle. That is something I never want to have to put up with again.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

hey there everyone this is raocow playing All the RPGs and today we're going to be playing dnd for the PLATO system
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

As far as RPGs go, this game is a lot less hands-on, especially compared to future games in the series.
So I have a feeling raocow's gonna enjoy it a lot. The stretches of just wandering around and exploring will be great.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoI'll being doing a mini-guide, like I've done before. This time it'll be just focused on the game's special attacks, as raocow unlocks them.
You post major spoilers (plot or gameplay stuff that hasn't happened yet) without the proper ispoiler tags, you're getting a temp ban from here. Whether it's a week or until the end of the game, I'll talk that one over. Saying this to you now after the Wario Land debacle. That is something I never want to have to put up with again.
No one complained with Iji or Soldexus. Also read 'as raocow unlocks them'
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago No one complained with Iji or Soldexus. Also read 'as raocow unlocks them'
Just because no one complained then doesn't automatically mean no one cares *now*. You really are trying our patience. How about just sitting back and enjoying the LP, *without* acting as an unwanted "tour guide" for once? I'm with Bean. Do not start, or you *will* be banned this time.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.