(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rob-Omb's Quest

Post by raocow »

nope, playing with the d-pad.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Fumbling with the buttons is part of the M&L experience.

-Yo raocow, if you want to do the Bros. attacks at full speed, switch to Mode 3 for the lower BP cost. If you want to just learn the attack, switch to Mode 1. Stop using Mode 2.
-Also, you should really use your Bros Attacks more often, even on these regular enemies. Just trust me on this.

Whenever I choose to raise my stats, I personally tend to always aim for these goals:
-Make the bros. as even as possible. I know each bro has their own strengths, but I hate weaknesses. I like keeping them as similar as possible. Especially in speed.
-Next, have a bro's individual stats as smooth as possible. It isn't, but, well...
-As for individual stats, I like raising BP first (Bros. Attacks as often as possible!), then speed(see above), then Stache, since its a combo of your Luck and Charisma/Charm stats.

Today's boss has a pro strategy to deal with him and his pillars lickity split, but that option wasn't available to rao.
Last edited by Sebby19 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago I know it's not intentional at all, but raocow having so much trouble with the controls is starting to sour my enjoyment of this game.
I have to agree. I know this sounds real shitty but I come here to see raocow wrestle with RPG mechanics and instead he mainly seems to wrestle with the controls.

Huh, would you believe that I had trouble with the same stuff (finding the water pipe and the spirit catching) as raocow when I was a wee lad> Especially the spirit catching. It really feels like the minigame is more RNG-based then the devs intended, depending a lot on how many spirits decide to spawn two spins rather than one from where you are standing.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

BP is honestly as good as a stat for damage as pow, since you're barely even getting half of the 25 BP a Syrup recovers. You also get very little of it on levelup, so even +1 is a big deal for most of the game.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, the RNGness of that Spin Jump test can be kinda unfortunate.
While it's use is like never called upon, Mario and Luigi can slowly walk around while in their totem pole.
Chirei wrote: BP is honestly as good as a stat for damage as pow, since you're barely even getting half of the 25 BP a Syrup recovers. You also get very little of it on levelup, so even +1 is a big deal for most of the game.
A thousand times yes. I focus on BP in the early game.
And mid game. AND end game. Not post game though (since there isn't one)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Well we're only 4 episodes in, so I don't expect raocow to fully grasp the controls. They are pretty unique, and you just get better with them over time. I don't think it'll be a recurring issue for the whole game.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago -Also, you should really use your Bros Attacks more often, even on these regular enemies. Just trust me on this.
You don't need to keep pushing him to do this, it's not the objectively correct way to play. I personally almost never use bros attacks outside of boss fights unless there's a particularly tanky enemy, and nothing he's encountered yet has been like that.

If you're trying to fast track him to unlocked advanced bros attacks, you don't need to. He'll stumble across it naturally and also they're not really that important either.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago nope, playing with the d-pad.
I think you need to either get a bigger d-pad or play with the arrow keys, instead, then.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I personally almost never use bros attacks outside of boss fights unless there's a particularly tanky enemy, and nothing he's encountered yet has been like that.
I just finished the game yesterday, hadn't played it for years and yeah, I mainly just used bros attacks on bosses and that (mainly mode 1 at that, started using mode 3 very late into the game). I was using them on some normal enemies

until I learned that some of them had ways to get them to run away, but then I think you maybe don't get XP from enemies who run away? I could be wrong on that, didn't really look into it, never had much of a problem with being underlevelled or anything. Basically thinking of Chomp Bros and Clumph.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

@Ashan

Yeah... I'm tryin to fast track him to the Advanced Bros. Attacks. I can usually unlock Advanced Bounce Bros. by today's boss. Which is good because that's the only time that useless move is the best option! That and maybe the Wiggler boss.

Don't worry, I told myself not to push this more than twice. I just didn't want a repeat of Lucahjin's LP, cause I don't think she even unlocked them all.

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

@Falky:

Bros. attacks cannot make enemies flee. The one's you mentioned fled for different reasons. Chomp Bros. because you killed their pet, and Clumph because you set his hair on fire.

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago @Falky:

Bros. attacks cannot make enemies flee. The one's you mentioned fled for different reasons. Chomp Bros. because you killed their pet, and Clumph because you set his hair on fire.

That's why I said I was using bros attacks until I learned that.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh, I misread your post. Woops.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago @Ashan

Yeah... I'm tryin to fast track him to the Advanced Bros. Attacks. I can usually unlock Advanced Bounce Bros. by today's boss. Which is good because that's the only time that useless move is the best option! That and maybe the Wiggler boss.

Don't worry, I told myself not to push this more than twice. I just didn't want a repeat of Lucahjin's LP, cause I don't think she even unlocked them all.

i mean it's cool that that's how you like to play the game but you're not the one playing the game here
--------
i was browsing the yt comments today during the speed up section and they were making it sound like raocow had a really hard time with this boss. then he beat it with little sweat. amazing, he didn't catch on to the fight "gimmick" if you can call it that. didn't matter in the end because he still did it rather quickly.

this might fall on deaf ears, but I do think investing in a level of HP every now and again wouldn't go amiss since you're still getting hit by a fair number of attacks on the regular. though, you do have plenty of mushrooms and are willing to use them, so maybe things will work out if we keep like this.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I would also like to throw in that I never even went past Mode 1 when I beat this game the first time. Even with doing balanced stats, I didn't have too much trouble with the game.

I actually do not know for sure if higher modes increase the damage, but if it is, I assume that playing just on Mode 2 already is already like a few extra levels worth of damage over what kiddy me was doing.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

personally, i think raocow should stop going all in on pow, and instead go all in on stache
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

stache is the only stat in this game, actually
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Stash stache stats
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I just tested this on a normal enemy. Using Splash Bros. at Mode 1, 2, and 3, the damage I dealt was 29, 37, then 44.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

...Hoo boy. I'd add a comment to that whole argument that I accidentally started, but I feel like that would just make things worse. :kood:

3DS Remake Difference in this video:
  • The Spirit Hopping mini-game has 5 additional seconds on it.
I think what happened with the mini-game is just raocow still wasn't used to Spin Jump. The winning run had more than enough time left to cover all ten.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

In the original, if every single spirit spawns diagonally away from you so that you have to do two spins to reach it, you literally don't have enough time to complete the challenge.

GOOD DESIGN LOVE THIS MINIGAME THE ONLY ONE I LOVE MORE IS

THE WINKLE COLISEUM BECAUSE THAT'S ALSO GARBAGE

the boss itself is fun though
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

The Hoohoo spirit mini game gave me a ton of trouble as a kid; I empathise with raocow.
Don't know why, but Hoohooros is one of my favourite boss fights in the game.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Huh, so the spirits really DO depend on RNG, huh.
Whilst i would like to see raocow spread his bonus points a bit more evenly (like he did with that BP at the end), i gotta admit it is funny that he's going all in into POW. nyoro~n
ImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, I've been of that opinion here as I watched all five parts here today. Going for broke on the power sounds great until you eventually hit an enemy that can hit you and hit you hard, and enemies have been hitting him as you'd expect since he's not used to playing these types of games.

It's kind of like Mega Man on the fly. You learn the tells and exploit them, some being easier than others. Definitely have to pay attention to avoid most of them. The boss fight went well today because you stumbled upon hitting the opposite pillar first, thus exposing the boss when you took out the pillar he was hiding under. You are good at the Splash Bros. move, so that'll help out a bit!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Once he nails Luigi's Bounce Bros., raocow will be golden. It's just the opposite button inputs of Splash Bros.

So out of the 5 games so far, which one is your favorite, you guys? Mine has to be Dream Team.
I wonder when #6 for the Switch will be announced...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 4 years agoThe boss fight went well today because you stumbled upon hitting the opposite pillar first, thus exposing the boss when you took out the pillar he was hiding under.
I don't even think he realized this pattern by the end, he just kept messing up the target selection and choosing the other pillar by accident a la Mr Magoo.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So out of the 5 games so far, which one is your favorite, you guys? Mine has to be Dream Team.
The GBA version of SS is definitely my favorite of the series. I don't find the writing near as good in any of the subsequent games, but I like the gameplay which keeps me going. I also find the follower characters in subsequent games annoying. They seem to only exist to respond to NPCs for a story that isn't super interesting, but SS proved the protagonists going "yes," "no," and "gibberish you can infer the meaning of from the context" is enough for Mario and Luigi's dialogue. I don't like the suitcase guy or Starlow at all, and I wish they just weren't there.