(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Luigi's Adventure

Post by FusionWarrior »

This is one of my favorite RPGs, and either this or Super Paper Mario is the perfect first RPG to lp. I pushed hard for this, and oh boy this is a great start. raocow is gonna knock this out of the park, so let's not do anything to make this not super smooth and wonderful. Especially not spoil any of this!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - TSRP

Post by Mandew »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago Question for those very familiar with this game, coming from someone (me) in the camp of "played it through once and beat it years ago but barely remembers any of the specifics":

Is grinding actually needed in this game? I vaguely recall just moving through the game straight through without stopping to grind *anywhere* and having a reasonable time. ("Reasonable" meaning "I'm sure I had to replay a few boss fights, particularly endgame, but the answer each time was to replay with a tweaked strategy and/or better performance on reactions, rather than spend time grinding.") Is this accurate or am I way offbase? The latter is entirely possible. Hell, I might be thinking of a different game in the series.
No grinding necessary in this game.
video games
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

FusionWarrior wrote: 4 years agoand either this or Super Paper Mario is the perfect first RPG to lp.
Huh, I wouldn't call Super Paper Mario an RPG. Definitely a Mario platformer with an in-depth plot (which Myamoto says is not possible). That game is even wordier than M&L

I would argue the first Paper Mario is an excellent 1st RPG to play. It's even more beginner friendly than M&L, since attacks rarely ever go into the double-digits.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I can't believe you waste time with these books. :gravytea:
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Gendo's Adventure

Post by Awoo »

What's up with the weird trend of every single GBA Mario game being packaged with a copy of Mario Bros? Is it just that small of a game to justify putting it on the empty space that these carts would have otherwise?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

I was exposed to Superstar Saga for the first time last year and I thought it was awesome! And while the logistics don't work out exactly the same, the fact it made for a good stream game gives me hope it'll work out pretty well on youtube as well.

Really excited to see raocow doing this!
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Gendo's Adventure

Post by Sebby19 »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago What's up with the weird trend of every single GBA Mario game being packaged with a copy of Mario Bros? Is it just that small of a game to justify putting it on the empty space that these carts would have otherwise?
It was only the four Super Mario Advance games that were meant to include this remake of Mario Bros. It was neat how you could play multiplayer across the different cartridges.

But why they included Mario Bros. with M&L? I don't know.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Green Guy: Superstar Saga - Green Guy's Adventure

Post by Awoo »

The use of sound effects from the GBA Fire Emblem games is really throwing me for a loop, too!
What a wacky adventure so far! :kood:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

This is one of my favorite games of all time, though I'm a little bit apprehensive about this LP. Mainly with regards to the format and so forth more than anything else, just because this is going to be such an experiment for raocow, really.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago The use of sound effects from the GBA Fire Emblem games is really throwing me for a loop, too!
Oh that's where they're from? I think I recognized the voice effects during dialogue from Golden Sun. Maybe that's borrowing from Fire Emblem too.
EmperorZ

Post by EmperorZ »

I don't understand the worry and cynicism about this. Yes, it's an RPG, but LPs of RPGs exist, raocow's a smart guy, the game isn't especially long or grindy, and I wouldn't even say it's all that far outside of raocow's wheelhouse since he's broadened his material a lot in the past couple of years. I have utmost confidence in this series.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Speaking of voice effects during dialogue, possibly one of the best things introduced in this video game is Mario and Luigi's vaguely-Italian gibberish that shows up whenever the game needs them to say words that aren't OKEY DOKEY or similar.

Let's... let's just enjoy it for a bit, shall we.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Implo

Post by Implo »

Ah, Superstar Sage is my favorite Mario game. It has some hard battles in the future, but overall the humor and platforming and battles. All this makes a really good experience for me.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Well this is something unexpected to wake up to! I really have no ability to predict how well this might go, but I do think the Mario and Luigi games and especially Superstar Saga are probably the most 'raocow' RPG games out there (with Undertale being a rather distant 2nd place).

I actually played this game a lot on emulator when I was younger. I found I had no need to go out of my way to grind, but I am also the type of RPG player that obsessively beats up every random encounter I find.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

General_Urist wrote: I do think the Mario and Luigi games and especially Superstar Saga are probably the most 'raocow' RPG games out there (with Undertale being a rather distant 2nd place).
final fantasy mystic quest

General_Urist wrote: I found I had no need to go out of my way to grind, but I am also the type of RPG player that obsessively beats up every random encounter I find.
This is just how I play to avoid being underleveled, unless I'm playing a Dragon Quest clone or Dragon Quest itself in which case I can't really do that, so I just grind from time to time.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Any word about that "GameBoy Player" title card? Is that an emulation thing?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

xnamkcor wrote: Any word about that "GameBoy Player" title card? Is that an emulation thing?
This game had functions exclusive to the GameCube's GameBoy Player. The title card is there to tell the player "hey buy our thing it has special features with this game!"

Like most games with GBP features, most of the "support" is controller rumble.

Aside from simple rumble during battle, rumble also goes off when you walk over a buried object.

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
eltiolavara9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVDPAVX8bE
First name: hi

Post by eltiolavara9 »

OH MAN this game's rad except for the minigames
hi
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: Any word about that "GameBoy Player" title card? Is that an emulation thing?
This game had functions exclusive to the GameCube's GameBoy Player. The title card is there to tell the player "hey buy our thing it has special features with this game!"

Like most games with GBP features, most of the "support" is controller rumble.

Aside from simple rumble during battle, rumble also goes off when you walk over a buried object.

Any GBA emulator support? Or would a certain someone need to emulate a GameCube to get those features?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Post by Rixithechao »

So regarding folks' concerns about this LP, I'd like to note that the last time RPG mechanics were a roadblock for raocow was Valdis Story (A.K.A. "that one game Shovel Knight borrowed a character from"). iirc, that LP was dropped because rao couldn't engage with the game at the strategic depth the devs expected of players and got himself into a situation that required heavy grinding as a result. Since then he's played Symphony of the Night, which had lighter RPG elements and just a much better balance between them and platforming in general -- changing up equipment wasn't too complex or necessary but it wasn't negligible either, and still raocow got through that game just fine.

Superstar Saga (and the other M&L games, even if they overdo it with the tutorials) is way more in the vein of Symphony than Valdis so I'm personally optimistic about this. Yes, the pace of the LP is probably going to be different and it'll potentially require more editing to cut out battles and other trimmable fat, but probably not too much more compared to removing failed runs in difficult platformers?

That said,
Sebby19 wrote: I would argue the first Paper Mario is an excellent 1st RPG to play. It's even more beginner friendly than M&L, since attacks rarely ever go into the double-digits.
This. I really wish more RPGs kept their stat curves low, not only is it more accessible but it gives things like status effects and buffs that much more strategic weight. Also

building their weakness mechanics around more intuitive physical interactions like the Mario RPGs do as opposed to the standard elemental RPS.

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

FPzero wrote: 4 years agoMan you guys have little faith in him. This should go fine. Maybe we should let him get past video 1 before worrying about his ability to handle a relatively simple RPG like this.
My only real concern is he's going to pull a Distorted Travesty where if you want to read the text (an important aspect of an rpg game) and aren't a speed reader then you'll have to constantly pause the video. Which means it won't be a particularly enjoyable lp because that's a serious pain in the ass.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Prefacing this with a big bold, this is merely my opinion and I do not mean to dismiss anyone else's opinion or attack anyone with this post disclaimer. I don't want to cause another incident.

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago I really wish more RPGs kept their stat curves low, not only is it more accessible but it gives things like status effects and buffs that much more strategic weight.
The low damage rates of Paper Mario (and from what I can tell, later Mario games) made me feel like my attacks didn't do much actually, seeing numbers go up is a big part of what makes JRPGs fun and cathartic to me.

Like equipping a new, powerful weapon or buffing up and all it does is make you do 5 damage instead of 3 to a boss (provided you do the timed hit nonsense in the former) feels pretty pathetic compared to doing 1000+ damage compared to ~650 as been going on with my FFIV playthrough.

I'll say this. The early Dragon Quest games keep their stat curves pretty well balanced for the most part which does a good feel of making you feel powerful in later levels but not too weak in earlier ones, without also running the risk of making you overpowered like a lot of later FF games. If anything DQ games tend to favor the enemies in a lot of cases, incentivizing you to grind, the feeling of power you gain being the reward for persevering.

Rockythechao wrote: Also

building their weakness mechanics around more intuitive physical interactions like the Mario RPGs do as opposed to the standard elemental RPS.

In the end

that's still a veil covering what's essentially Rock Paper Scissors. Light, Dark, Water, Wind etc all feel more fantastical than just generic hammer and shells slapstick cartoon stuff, too so...

Like FFX tried to do this with Wakka being good with flying enemies, Auron and a lot of Kimahri's spears being good with enemies with a large defense stat, Lulu being good with magic focused enemies, Rikku being able to disassemble machina enemies, Tidus being good with enemies with a large evasion stat, and it just resulted in the battle system being a series of pointless bottlenecks of switching characters around to damage one enemy instead of focusing on building certain party members at your whim.

At the end of the game I just didn't bother and stuck to Tidus/Auron/Kimahri for best damage output and Haste, with Yuna sometimes being called in for healing assistance. Everyone else just fell into disuse due to how limited they became.

Rudra no Hihou on the other hand made it so elemental weaknesses matter as each weapon and armor corresponded to an element (see below) and you had to strategize according to that element if you wanted to succeed in battle, you couldn't just rely on the best armor statistically.

Light <-> Dark
Wind <-> Thunder
Fire <-> Ice

Image Image
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

I.. actually did not know that about

Final Fantasy X

, was it ever conveyed in the game itself or only in the manual? I know I read the manual, but if it mentioned it there I didn't pick up on it. I just.. kinda used who I liked most.

I do also admit that the low damage threshold in the first Paper Mario got to me quite a bit. Not so much in Thousand Year Door, but the first time I played the N64 one I was super doing poorly by the end of it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HiroshiMishima wrote: 4 years ago I.. actually did not know that about

Final Fantasy X

, was it ever conveyed in the game itself or only in the manual? I know I read the manual, but if it mentioned it there I didn't pick up on it. I just.. kinda used who I liked most.
There's interactive tutorials on it as you fight through the early game.

You can use who you like the most but you run the issue of having shit damage rates. Like you could hit a fast enemy with Auron every now and then, but trying to hit an elemental with Wakka or Tidus is the same as throwing a pebble at a brick wall. This could be remedied with putting hours into the Sphere Grid but it requires patience and a lot of grinding so unless you're an FFX superfan or you're going for a run where everyone steps out of their Grid section ASAP (which Expert is great for), such as turning Wakka into a Black Mage or boosting Auron's agility, it's not worth it.
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Prefacing this with a big bold, this is merely my opinion and I do not mean to dismiss anyone else's opinion or attack anyone with this post disclaimer. I don't want to cause another incident.

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago I really wish more RPGs kept their stat curves low, not only is it more accessible but it gives things like status effects and buffs that much more strategic weight.
The low damage rates of Paper Mario (and from what I can tell, later Mario games) made me feel like my attacks didn't do much actually, seeing numbers go up is a big part of what makes JRPGs fun and cathartic to me.

Like equipping a new, powerful weapon or buffing up and all it does is make you do 5 damage instead of 3 to a boss (provided you do the timed hit nonsense in the former) feels pretty pathetic compared to doing 1000+ damage compared to ~650 as been going on with my FFIV playthrough.
(gonna try to make it clear i'm not contesting your opinion here, either, i just like this topic and disagree with you)

this is a really interesting subject to me as someone interested in game design, because for me, the low numbers game in the paper mario games makes any jump in numbers really impactful. most rpgs have a level of power escalation and damage variance that makes the end numbers feel kinda meaningless. over the course of a boss fight, the difference between doing 1486-1523 damage a turn with this move and doing 1668-1749 damage with this other move is basically nil. maybe you save three or four turns approaching it the latter way, but if that costs extra resources, is it worth it? i dunno. is it? it's a question that really varies from scenario to scenario, but what i'm getting at is that it feels kinda nebulous.

because the paper mario games use such low, static numbers, it's very easy to tell when a strategy will be worthwhile in the long run, because the difference between doing 3 damage each turn and doing 5 damage each turn is massive and observably so. it puts into perspective what the numbers actually mean, because 8 damage vs. 9 damage is always going to be proportionally bigger than 3100 damage vs. 3900 damage.

(the math, for anyone curious)

that's just what it means for me, anyway. what's also interesting here--and, amazingly, relevant to this topic--is how mario & luigi fares in this subject.

[light spoilers for how superstar saga does player progression]
superstar saga tries to be a middle-ground, starting with effectively the same 10 hp and 1-2 damage per attack that the paper mario games start with but eventually moving to [LINK TO A VIDEO OF THE FINAL BOSS, DO NOT CLICK IF YOU WANT TO AVOID BIGGER SPOILERS] a game where you can reasonably have 100 hp at endgame and do 60+ damage with basic attacks. i don't really have any qualitative statements to make on how superstar saga handles numbers, it's just interesting to contrast.there aren't many rpgs like it in this regard.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!