(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 8 Powers

Post by thatguyif »

Happy Fourth of July! Remake notes:
  • So, a big change in terms of Bros. Attacks comes in the form of the Fire Bros. move. In the remake, it doesn't function like that at all. You still to button mash at the start to charge the move, but instead of throwing small fireballs at Luigi to bat at the enemy (my assumption is the move is multi-target), you charge up a giant fireball that descends on Luigi, which you hit back at a single enemy.
  • Also noted in the comments but yes, the Sidestepper got replaced with a Huckit Crab. Make of that what you will.
So, I'll add some gameplay notes here worth mentioning:
  • The Hermie fight is actually kind of tedious if you're not glass-cannoning it? Basically, the move you didn't see was him hiding in his shell after his claws are bandaged. There, he heals for a stupid amount of health, sometimes for multiple turns, before reappearing with healed claws. It's really annoying.
  • A reminder: Anytime you see a fence and there is no metal floor next, Luigi can go under it and operate solo. I've seen you do that a few times where you stopped at a fence you can go under and then move on.
It's worth noting that after returning to Gwarhar Lagoon, you can get the Beanstar pieces in any order. You have all the moves necessary to get to them. How you do it is up to you.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

raocow mentions that it's hard to bop enemies in the overworld underwater, but to be fair, that's always been pretty difficult in the platformers, too.

Also you have Fire Bros. now! So it's worth noting that Advanced Fire Bros. is my favorite attack in the game.

anyway merry chrithtmath to all and to all a good night
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I don't remember a whole lot about this boss, but I seem to remember it taking me a good number of turns to defeat it, with me using a balanced stat spread and all. So seeing raocow take out both the claws with just a single basic jump each and then demolish the boss in just a few bros. attacks was pretty neat.

Anyway, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations, this time featuring me having to check the bros. stat gains elsewhere because raocow edited the video in a way that makes it just barely impossible to tell for sure what he got on the bonus wheel on Mario's last level up (seriously, I tried looking at it frame by frame, and if raocow had included just one extra frame at the start of that clip it would have been possible).
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +14 (+3 +2 +2 +3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +34 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3) (+4)
DEF +8 (+2 +2) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +26 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +34 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +24 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3) (+4)

freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I totally understand why some people might not like seeing raocow utterly destory fights so quickly , but I enjoy it because I emphasise a lot with that desire in many RPGs I've played. I'm pretty sure most people would go that route in their first run of these kinds of games too, and it does feel pretty amazing when you're the one doing it.
Quadro
Heh heh.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Quadro »

Hey rao, quick tip. Those Boo Statues that you have to shock Mario to activate, you can move them while you're sideways so you have a bigger hitbox to move the switch with

Edit: sorry, this isn't worded the best. Sometimes I don't speak right, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from:
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

thatguyif wrote:
  • The Hermie fight is actually kind of tedious if you're not glass-cannoning it? Basically, the move you didn't see was him hiding in his shell after his claws are bandaged. There, he heals for a stupid amount of health, sometimes for multiple turns, before reappearing with healed claws. It's really annoying.
If I remember, you can

set Hermie on fire

to get Hermie out of his shell early, I think he still heals a bit though.
Looking up Hermie's stats, they're (in general) a bit lower in the Japanese version, his claws have their health and defense halved. Despite this he gives more experience and coins.
Hermie is a reference to an enemy type from Tomato Quest, and earlier game by AlphaDream
Although this really is not useful for raocow, my first time through the game ,I loved thunder bros because it

lowers enemy defense

I used it in all possible boss battles.
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - World Of Illusion

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, we missed like 75% of the boss fight against Hermie III. Each claw has it's own attacks, Hermie can raise his attack. And when damaged enough, he'll hide into his shell to heal for several turns. He's impervious at this stage, but you can set his decorations on fire to force him back into battle.

raocow, can you take the mush badge off for boss battles?
Fire Bros.
-Type: Fire
-Base Damage: x2 (Mario) for 8 hits
-BP Cost: 6(Mode 1+2), 3(Mode 3)
-Button Sequence: A[repeatedly] - B[per fireball]
-Advanced learned @: 28 successful attacks
-Description: Mario charges up his Firebrand, then throws his collected Fireballs at Luigi. Luigi bats each one away toward a single enemy.
-Based on: Fire Dash (kinda? Luigi is only set on fire if you mess up-)
Thunder Bros.
-Type: Thunder
-Base Damage: x0.6 (Luigi), hits all grounded enemies
-BP Cost: 6(Mode 1+2), 4(Mode 3)
-Button Sequence: B - B - B
-Advanced learned @: 18 successful attacks
-Description: Luigi charges up his Thunderhand, jump off Mario, then shoots a lightning bolt into the ground, hitting everyone
-Based on: Thundershock
*Inflicts Defense-down
^This is the only 'Target All' attack the bros. have in the game!

I am glad raocow chose the Beanstar piece to the south next. This is where that game-breaking glitch can happen if you have a bad rom. Fingers crossed.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Also, raocow's abuse of the mush badge is like...

(forgive me, I've been saving this since La-Mulana, but missed the opportunity to use it)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I always was terrible at using Fire Bros.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Okay, I'm finally struggling significantly against a boss! In the remake, Hermie heals for 80-100 HP when he hides inside his shell, and I'm doing ~30 per turn. That's 3-4 turns he just undoes every so-often, and I can't burn him out of his shell before he does because he goes into it right before Luigi's turn, then heals right before Mario's. Plus, I die in two hits guaranteed and his claws get FAST. Plus, he counterattacks every time I hit him, and if one bro goes down on Mario's counterattack, I have to dodge his actual attack with a handicap which is impossible at high speed.

I can win this, just gotta dodge more

and take advantage of Thunder Bros. to hope for that defense drop

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Quadro wrote: 4 years ago Hey rao, quick tip. Those Boo Statues that you have to shock Mario to activate, you can move them while you're sideways so you have a bigger hitbox to move the switch with
I did not know this. That is neat.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

At some point, I'd rather have the game do the Earthbound thing where enemies just die if you're strong enough. Although I'm not sure it'd work here.
ImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Hmmm... raocow prefers to be the friendly guy instead of being a renegade, eh? And he's open to RPGs now?

Undertale confirmed.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Mea

Post by Mea »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago At some point, I'd rather have the game do the Earthbound thing where enemies just die if you're strong enough. Although I'm not sure it'd work here.
If the instakill wouldn't work, they could always make it so enemies run away when you're past a certain level. Or was it after you cleared the area boss? I don't remember how it worked.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - 8 Powers Doomsday

Post by Awoo »

Mea wrote: 4 years ago
Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago At some point, I'd rather have the game do the Earthbound thing where enemies just die if you're strong enough. Although I'm not sure it'd work here.
If the instakill wouldn't work, they could always make it so enemies run away when you're past a certain level. Or was it after you cleared the area boss? I don't remember how it worked.
It really only worked until like, after the second "my place" location. After that it really made no difference, like, at all.

oh no the most overrated SNES game had busted mechanics? Ya don't say...

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Enemies in Earthbound will run from you if you either:
-Defeated a boss guarding a Your Sanctuary. Everyone within the 'dungeon' will run away.
-You are sufficiently higher level than them.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

i GOT IM it was only a matter of time and patience and not getting flustered when i made a mistake

Worried about the rest of my run now, though, especially those last few bosses.
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Bowser's Last Stand

Post by Grounder »

splart more like shart gottem

also rao confirmed for either no fan, no ac, or both
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Ivy wrote: 4 years ago Undertale confirmed.
How about no

Remake notes will be few:
  • There's been multiple minor changes to Splart in the remake. For one, the shirt is smaller (not sure why). Second, the bubble is a bit wider. Third, and most importantly, you only have to make three shirts.
  • I meant to bring this up yesterday, but, the Bean(S)tar Piece get cutscene is a bit different in the remake. You don't get that weird banner logo, and the Beanstar piece itself leaves a shiny rainbow trail as it flies around. The script also acted kind of funky during this segment, as if repeating itself. That may have been a bug.
Anyway, I feel you, raocow. Stayed inside my apartment yesterday because, oh boy, it was in the 90s/low 30s. It's supposed to go down to the mid 70s/low 20s tomorrow, at least.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Really short episode for All the Superstar Sagas. The lining things up seemed annoying to do.
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So there is a sidequest if you return to Harhall. He tasks you with making every possible design combination.
Every new design rewards you with a green Woo Bean (normally only dropped from enemies). When you make all designs, you are awarded with an equip called Harhall's pants. For Mario only, it gives +60 HP and +10 Def, but it's unique effect is that it randomizes Mario gravity with every turn (heavy, light, ot normal).
Up to you if you think it's worth it. I guess its a good place to earn up to 14 Woo Beans, if you don't want to grind enemies.

Speaking of beans, I think you have enough Chuckle Beans to make a new coffee at Starbeans.
And if you want more Hee beans, you can return to the arcade in Little Fungitown.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

The japanese version made the Harhall pants give +100 hp, which is as good as it sounds.

It’s actually pretty fun to have random gravity, keeps you on your toes.

Also, can I just say that I love the mini game music here, easily my favourite rendition of the SMW main theme.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Bowser's Last Star

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, air-conditioning!
Heat wave in Canada? It's more likely than you think!

No fan or no AC raocow? Might be a worthwhile investment to get one of those fancy portable window units raocow :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Bowser's Last Star

Post by thatguyif »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago No fan or no AC raocow? Might be a worthwhile investment to get one of those fancy portable window units raocow :rao:
I think he won't do it for the same reason he doesn't have a fan now: Window units are noisy. Even quiet ones aren't that great in terms of noise.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Bowser's Last Story

Post by Awoo »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago No fan or no AC raocow? Might be a worthwhile investment to get one of those fancy portable window units raocow :rao:
I think he won't do it for the same reason he doesn't have a fan now: Window units are noisy. Even quiet ones aren't that great in terms of noise.
Yeah, but it might be nicer to be noisy than super hot. Still, probably doesn't make the best atmosphere to record an LP in.

He's at least got our old pal, the ceiling fan! Keep up the good work, ceiling fan! :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image