(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
warpio

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Post by warpio »

I think this whole discussion is silly. I can see the argument for wanting a game to promote its intended default difficulty and not encouraging it to be lowered, but Superstar Saga never had this perfect "normal difficulty level" to begin with. It's an RPG where you have plenty of options for customizing how hard you want the game to be, from badges/accessories found in the overworld to grinding and raising stats. There's already a world of difference between a playthrough where you don't go out of your way to search for secrets and avoid/run from most battles and a completionist playthrough where you do everything and use all the tools the game has available to you.

There's even some ways that the original version can be seen as MORE intrusive to its natural difficulty curve than the remake, like how the original Mush Badge can be exploited to get insane POW stats. This is essentially an "easy mode" option that doesn't even call itself that and the player might not even know they are missing out on some challenge by using it. The remake balanced things a bit better in that regard, but it's still a game with a highly variable difficulty depending on the play style. Adding an easy mode to the battle mechanics (that actually calls itself easy mode) is just one more variable and it's stupid to act like that of all things ruins the game.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

warpio wrote: 4 years agoit's stupid to act like that of all things ruins the game.
which I didn't think anybody did

it's ok to talk about things or say things you don't like. it doesn't have to be proven right or wrong
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Arctangent wrote:
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I'd you're playing in normal and you drop down to easy, that is inherently a cheat from the context of normal mode. I don't know how it could not be seen as that.

Using the Konami code in Contra to get 30 lives could be seen as an "easy mode" but it's also a cheat. A game has a set of rules, and a cheat is just modifying those rules to make them easier.
did you like

put your brain in the microwave and leave it there within the past couple minutes or something

like you started this entire thing complaining about an easy mode option being on the game over menu. which is to say, you were complaining about the easy mode being accessible, as part of the standard game rules, from the game over menu. which is to say, you were complaining about the developers intentionally designing the game's rules as to allow the player to access easy mode from the game over menu

did you hypnotize yourself into thinking that you hacked that menu in or something and the cognitive dissonance made you think it was nintendo's fault or, like, what
I don't like them going out of their way to actively suggest the player change the difficulty as a way to overcome obstacles when you're in the middle of the game. It encourages a bland, unfun way to progress through the game. People can impose that on themselves, but the developers should know better than that.

Also just chill with the insults, I've been civil this whole time but some of you are just downright unpleasant to have a discussion with.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Also just chill with the insults, I've been civil this whole time but some of you are just downright unpleasant to have a discussion with.
yeah no i don't think anyone would find it very "civil" when a good chunk of what you're saying boils down to the good ol' video game difficulty elitism, to the point where you consider it a developer sin to allow the player to adjust the difficulty midway through the game

i would say it's all laced with passive-aggressive shaming toward anyone that's not you, but that would be wrong. there's way more than just a "laced" amount, no matter how many layer of misdirection it's under
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this thread has devolved into this

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Also just chill with the insults, I've been civil this whole time but some of you are just downright unpleasant to have a discussion with.
yeah no i don't think anyone would find it very "civil" when a good chunk of what you're saying boils down to the good ol' video game difficulty elitism, to the point where you consider it a developer sin to allow the player to adjust the difficulty midway through the game

i would say it's all laced with passive-aggressive shaming toward anyone that's not you, but that would be wrong. there's way more than just a "laced" amount, no matter how many layer of misdirection it's under
no dude this is just you wanting to make this into an epic internet fight when it isn't, as usual

several pages worth of actual nuanced discussion on how to implement difficulty tweaks don't mean shit when one person can come in and pretend it's an argument and get people like grounder above to think that's what it is i guess
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years agoyou consider it a developer sin to allow the player to adjust the difficulty midway through the game
Once again, no this is not what I'm saying. I don't think adjusting difficulty should be encouraged by the developers as a valid strategy of progression because it leads to a less fun, less memorable experience, whether the player knows it or not. People can do what they want with their game, but the developer should have some kind of opinion for the intended experience, and offering to change the difficulty makes it seems like they don't have a hard opinion on how their game should be played, just so long as the player gets to the credits, which is really unimpressive from a design perspective.

I know you really WANT me to have an obligatory bad opinion so you can tell me how I'm a horrible person, but you're just continually doing a takedown of an opinion I don't have. And whatever passive-aggressive tone you're getting from me simply clarifying my opinion is all projection on your part.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I know you really WANT me to have an obligatory bad opinion so you can tell me how I'm a horrible person, but you're just continually doing a takedown of an opinion I don't have. And whatever passive-aggressive tone you're getting from me simply clarifying my opinion is all projection on your part.
uh
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Once again, no this is not what I'm saying. I don't think adjusting difficulty should be encouraged by the developers as a valid strategy of progression because it leads to a less fun, less memorable experience as I am the sole point of reference to design for, whether the player knows it or not because people who play video games never know what they actually enjoy in a game, unlike me. People can do what they want with their game except changing the difficulty to suit their needs in a straightforward way that lets the preserve their current flow, but the developer should have some kind of opinion for the intended experience which is the experience crafted solely for me, and offering to change the difficulty makes it seems like they don't have a hard opinion on how their game should be played because as well all know, it's completely impossible to ever design a game intended to be played by wide range of players, just so long as the player gets to the credits, which is really unimpressive from a design perspective because i am not used to thinking about the world beyond my own little bubble.
like, really

what other reasoning do you possibly feel like you're conveying with by boldly typing statements like these without a hint of irony. this is a charitable interpretation
Leet

Post by Leet »

I kinda thought he was saying the words that he typed
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

When even those who try to restore civility and clarity to the conversation like Leet are completely ignored and skipped over, you know the thread has lost it

Great job turning this thread into another Jumphalf
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yeah I think I'm just gonna call it quits here. Arc, you're clearly looking for something to be upset about when there's nothing there.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago When even those who try to restore civility and clarity to the conversation like Leet are completely ignored and skipped over
positing that people aren't disagreeing when people clearly are disgreeing all because one or two people misinterpreted like 10% of what ashan's said thus far is hardly trying to restore clarity
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Yeah I think I'm just gonna call it quits here. Arc, you're clearly looking for something to be upset about when there's nothing there.
ah there's that stock line that reveals that there's not only something, but even more below the surface and yet the person will refuse to ever question themselves even if they devolve into something cartoonishly evil like shoving puppies into a meat grinder

terrific, if not unsurprising
Leet

Post by Leet »

If I post word salad dramatically enough I'll feel like I'm beating people on the internet
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Still find it very odd that the developers threw in the line from the researchers, about the Oho Jees attacking and turning one of them into another Oho Jee. That is sure to raise the anxiety of any kid, when they approach them.
And it was completely unnecessary since the Oho Jee are mostly harmless, and completely stupid.

Since everyone was busy debating, I'll ask one last time: Any predictions and wants for game # 6?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Since everyone was busy debating, I'll ask one last time: Any predictions and wants for game # 6?
That they actually make one tbh. (Or any new mario rpg)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

:roll: Mathmetician's answer, I see.

As one more want/idea I would like to see (if they go with the quartet idea), is that the Bros Attacks change depending on which pair is attacking. So say, The Fire Flower acts the same between Mario and Luigi, as in other games, but if used between Luigi and Wario, you could have something like Luigi setting Wario on fire, turning him into Fire Wario and charging into enemies.

In fact, there is a lot of potential with just including Wario, if they remember his transformations.

The only problem with having the quartet is, you'll have to somehow manage 4 characters in battle AND the overworld, and I don't have a solution to fix that. I don't think the fix they made for Paper Jam could apply to 4 party members.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - "

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago :roll: Mathmetician's answer, I see.

As one more want/idea I would like to see (if they go with the quartet idea), is that the Bros Attacks change depending on which pair is attacking. So say, The Fire Flower acts the same between Mario and Luigi, as in other games, but if used between Luigi and Wario, you could have something like Luigi setting Wario on fire, turning him into Fire Wario and charging into enemies.

In fact, there is a lot of potential with just including Wario, if they remember his transformations.

The only problem with having the quartet is, you'll have to somehow manage 4 characters in battle AND the overworld, and I don't have a solution to fix that. I don't think the fix they made for Paper Jam could apply to 4 party members.
Maybe they could do something similar to how Golden Sun managed your party in and out of battle? You could have 8 characters in your party and could set shoulder button psienergy shortcuts from whom'st ever you'd want.

Tbh I don't know how that would really translate to a Mario and Luigi style game, but it could definitely be done
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Mario RPG All The Bravest for smartphones. But really, if they develop something on switch, I figure they would want to use each Joy-Con as it's own brother, and implement motion based Bro Moves and stuff like that. Then again, with the new switch model, they might not want to develop Joy-Con funcionality.
ImageImage
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Since everyone was busy debating, I'll ask one last time: Any predictions and wants for game # 6?
M&L Partner's in Time + Yoshi's or something along those lines will happen. Probably featuring Kooplina or whatever the reporter character's name was.

The dream options that would never happen? Wario and Waluigi's Wanderful Adventures. Or Luigi and Daisy's Date with Destiny.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years agoThe dream options that would never happen? Wario and Waluigi's Wanderful Adventures.
I thought the well-established subtitle for a Wario & Waluigi game was Partners in Crime
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

"Partners in Time" was a pun on the phrase "partners in crime"
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

but now Partners in Crime could be a pun on Partners in Time
Kilgamayan