(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition

Post by SAJewers »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I said this before but I'm

really looking forward to raocow dying multiple times to the final form's first attack. he will pay for his hubris

Honestly that wasn't so bad at all

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - SM64: Last Impact

Post by Grounder »

And that's Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga; AKA the grand finale of raocow. It's been a fun ride this past decade and change, but everything has to end eventually, right? And what a bang to end on! I'm still crying like a baby over Pily and Kood's wedding vows! :cry:

Well then everyone, this was indeed raocow! :D
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

BOWSER DID NOTHING WRONG also in the end it was a kirby finale

In a bizarre twist, raocow stumbled against Fawful while I didn't? He used his overheat attack right out of the gate, and then I dizzied and slaughtered him before he could do anything else.

In the remake and the JPN original, Fawful uses Cackletta's theme from the Hooniversity. It fits way better than Popple's theme.

Bowletta is a joke, honestly. If you let the orbs stick around long enough, she eats them and heals herself. She also has a cool shooting star attack you never saw, but it's not really threatening either. Cackletta Soul is the real final boss and oh god is it a nightmare fight! And you got a pretty good demonstration of how nightmarish it can be! Like, it's that, but twice as long! Well-loved for being the difficulty spike to end all difficulty spikes.

You sure are lucky she never led off with the attack she usually starts with. Usually for me, she does that big spinning arm attack that goes at various heights and lasts for way too long and if she uses it before you can heal you're pretty much dead because it's so hard to judge what's where in isometric space. It's nasty! Meanwhile, the attack where she puts her hands in front of the bros is almost regrettably easy to stop. If you don't stop it, she flicks you into the air and it's hilarious. In the remake, she's rendered in 3D and has a color-changing gimmick that I don't remember the meaning of because I haven't fought it yet.

Music time! Cackletta Soul is wild and I love it.
For good measure, here's the GaMetal remix because Jonny Atma is a wizard.
The true final boss, of course, is not fumbling your inputs and commands during the escape sequence. You made it out fine, though. It's scary until you find out there's only one puzzle and then you feel silly

Anyway. Farewell, Superstar Saga, probably my favorite RPG of all time. What did I say, everyone. The LP went fine. It went fine. It went fine
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Well, this be the FINAL list of remake notes:
  • So, a thing worth mentioning that was a big quality of life improvement: If you die in boss fight in the remake, you're given the option of restarting at the beginning of the fight. You're also given the choice of restarting on Easy Mode, if the fight's too hard on you. For the Final Boss fight, the same applies (you start at that fight rather than the Bowletta fight).
  • Another important quality-of-life improvement: There is a fast-foward-through-cutscenes button, which you can hold to skip through them.
  • They fixed the obvious spelling error before the Fawful fight.
  • The final battle in Bowser's Minions (which you get from beating the main game) further elaborates on Fawful's "toady" remarks. It turns out Fawful's been operating a massive weapons factory (sounds awfully familiar) behind Cackletta's back, which Captain Goomba and his squad rampage through. Regardless, this among other things sets him up for his appearance in Bowser's Inside Story.
  • The throne room has a lot more theatrics going for it, including ominous music, a dark spooky fog torches lighting up, and so on. The wigglies get replaced with the throne room being on fire.
  • Okay...I don't recall those honeycomb spheres being a thing in the remake Bowletta fight.
  • The remake does a much better job of describing stat de/buffs, which occurred in the final boss fight. Instead of showing it on your HP line, it's shown on the brother in battle.
  • So, the Final Boss got a revamp in the remake. Along with the sprite becoming a 3D model, there was a recolor of the model. Critical to this was that the arms are colored in a specific manner to represent the elements, meaning they can be hit with the opposite elements for Critical damage. The arms also had their individual attacks changed to make it slightly more difficult to counter.
  • The barrel resets if you break it before hitting the switch during the escape.
  • The castle just flat-out explodes after you escape. Bowser still flies into the middle of the screen, though. (After the final battle in Bowser's Minions, the same thing happens, but the Captain minions who meet him beforehand, and then latch on to his back as the castle explodes)
  • The credits sequence gets a revamp to take advantage of the dual screens. That said, it's kind of tepid. We see Peasley leading the Beanbean folks, then the plane flies over the clouds. We don't see any of the auxiliary characters otherwise. Also, Bowser gets dropped off at his fort sans castle, which makes sense given that his castle actually got destroyed (thus removing the obvious plot hole in the original credits). The Bowser's Minions credits is mostly the same, only with the Captain minions chasing the plane, even on the clouds (which is proof that clouds are solid objects in the Mario universe). However, when the credits reach Bowser's fortresss, the camera stops there, and shows the minions that served Captain Goomba rebuilding Bowser's Castle from scratch.
  • Which leads to the bonus ending that comes with beating the final battle of Bowser's Minions: There's some narration explaining the rebuild and the renewed assault on the Mushroom Kingdom. But before that happens, we see Bowser convening a meeting, and giving Captain Goomba not only a promotion but the vanguard in assaulting the Mushroom Kingdom...only for him to suddenly remember that it was Captain Goomba who bonked him on the head all the way back at the start of the game, triggering his entire subplot. He chases the Goomba away, and strips him of title, rank, and flag hat. Still, everyone (including the Koopalings) honors and respects said Goomba for what he did to reunite the army.
Thoughts on the remake (and game) in a bit.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years agoUsually for me, she does that big spinning arm attack that goes at various heights and lasts for way too long and if she uses it before you can heal you're pretty much dead because it's so hard to judge what's where in isometric space.
Her tell is

whether her eyes are pointing up or down

. This also goes for the timestop laser attack.

The fight demonstrated how powerful the status changes of POW/DEF up & down are. The POW down status Mario got in recent videos, including this one, cut his attack by 1/3 to 1/2.
The true final boss, of course, is not fumbling your inputs and commands during the escape sequence. You made it out fine, though. It's scary until you find out there's only one puzzle and then you feel silly
In one run I actually ran out of time because I dropped down wrong like raocow did. It's one final obstacle, but one that counts.

So closing thoughts, despite some ugly times in the thread, the game and its playthrough were fun to watch. I'm glad our expectation that you would enjoy the characters, gimmicks, and other elements of this game was vindicated. Even the battles, the grindy part of RPG, went better than we thought they would go.

And I enjoyed updating the thread with its naming gimmick. It's too bad that there were quite several other Mario LPs that I didn't get to mention (this playthrough was shorter than I thought, given the game length and raocow's long playing sessions), but we still got a recollection of nice assortment of past games.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Her tell is

whether her eyes are pointing up or down

. This also goes for the timestop laser attack.
I mean thanks but I'm more busy focusing on dodging the giant arms that are murdering me, her eyes are the last place on screen I need to be looking

Also the game's over there's not much reason to spoilertag the final boss
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago BOWSER DID NOTHING WRONG
He actually was assisting the Mario bros, it was purely out of self interest for kidnapping princess peach. But considering how many people and animals on the journey simply attack Mario and Luigi out of spite or pettiness, Bowser is actually one of the more reasonable people out here.

Bowser would have assisted us in getting the princess's voice back had he not been launched out of a cannon by some grumpy man with a star-hat; starting the chain of events leading to his career as a rookie shadow thief and possession by a witch.

He started his entire journey so he could actually do the thing he loves to do and not have it destroy his castle. In the end, his castle is destroyed anyways! He lost everything. His dignity, himself, his body, his kids, and his castle.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago
He started his entire journey so he could actually do the thing he loves to do and not have it destroy his castle. In the end, his castle is destroyed anyways! He lost everything. His dignity, himself, his body, his kids, and his castle.
I mean I would like to think that this was a portable assault ship and his actual castle is still in the Mushroom Kingdom.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I was wondering if raocow was going to defeat the final boss on his first try, but then Cackletta used her dreaded spinning arm attack. I actually heard about this boss from someone complaining about it before I first played this game, but fortunately there was a long enough time between the events that I forgot about it until seeing the final boss reminded me of it.

Anyway, this person was complaining about the fact that you start the final fight with just 1 HP, and I agree about that not being the greatest thing. The worst part is when Cackletta starts with her aforementioned spinning arm attack (which from what I can remember she does pretty often). That attack gives her several chances to hit you, and with just 1 HP just one mistake with each bro. is enough to cause a game over.

Aside from the whole starting with 1 HP thing though, I think this boss is pretty good. For the most part her attacks are suitably difficult to dodge, and the way the fight is structured prevents you from just steamrolling it with a glass cannon strategy. Also, the fact that her heart is only vulnerable for a limited time is interesting; you obviously want to attack it as much as you can, but if your health is low it becomes a risk/reward situation. This also gives some value to more defensive builds, since it will take longer before you're at risk of dying, allowing you to focus on the heart without fear.

Anyway, raocow might be done with this game, but here's one last look at his bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +17 (+3 +2 +2 +3 +3) (+4)
BP +7 (+2 +1) (+4)
POW +49 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3 +4 +3 +3 +4 +3 +4 +1) (+4)
DEF +13 (+2 +2 +5) (+4)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +31 (+2 +2 +4 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2 +3 +5)

Luigi
HP +7 (+5 +2)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +50 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2 +2 +2 +3 +1 +3 +2 +1 +5 +4 +1)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +28 (+1 +2 +5 +5 +2 +5 +3 +4) (+4)

Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
I mean I would like to think that this was a portable assault ship and his actual castle is still in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Egh, thatguyif said that bowser's minions have to rebuild his castle in the remake. At the same time the area is called "Bowser's Castle."
This is Bowser though, he has many castles. and multiple air fleets.

I just remembered, the whole bit about the peach voice switcheroo nonsense. Birdo clearly has her voice later on in the game. Did it just come back after the robots exploded? or is there some Bowser's minions stuff going on?
warpio

Post by warpio »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
  • So, the Final Boss got a revamp in the remake. Along with the sprite becoming a 3D model, there was a recolor of the model. Critical to this was that the arms are colored in a specific manner to represent the elements, meaning they can be hit with the opposite elements for Critical damage. The arms also had their individual attacks changed to make it slightly more difficult to counter.
I want to add that it's not actually 3D models you're seeing in the remake, that's a misconception. The remakes of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are 100% 2D sprite-based games. The sprites in the remakes are just a lot more detailed with better coloring/shading effects added to make them look more 3D, and without the big black outlines that the GBA/DS games had.

I think I heard somewhere before that the Alphadream devs were very proud of their sprite work they did for the remakes, and that was actually the main reason they added the side content (Bowser's Minions in SSS and Bowser Jr's Journey in BiS), like they just wanted an excuse to make a bunch more fun sprite animations for all the characters that you otherwise wouldn't get to see in the game.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago In the remake and the JPN original, Fawful uses Cackletta's theme from the Hooniversity. It fits way better than Popple's theme.
Actually, the JP version was AFTER the US release! Same with Partners in Time. That's why both are different from the US version. (All versions of PiT are the same as the Japanese version in gameplay except the US one, which has WAY more health for everything.) JP got more polish and additions, such as added Heart Blocks in some areas to restore your health and BP, and Fawful's fight at the end using Cackletta's theme. (Which is also his- the song's name is Cackletta & Fawful!)

The final boss is insane. Both insanely tough and insanely, hilariously easy. It depends on how you play it! Chopper Bros. is INSANELY broken, especially with Mush Badges. Mush Badges are BROKEN in this version! People just do hundreds of damage (plural!) to EVERYTHING, even the final boss, so everything goes down in like two hits haha!

Casually, though... Hoo boy, is this boss a beast. You open able to die to ANY hit, and unless you've been grinding and spamming Speed upgrades, you're always going after Cackletta. There's a reason the remake forces her to move after you get a chance to act. But honestly? I really, really like that about the boss. Even IF you survive the opening onslaught and manage to heal, it's STILL incredibly tough. She hits hard, he has tough-to-dodge attacks, she has two moves that aren't obvious what the dodging tells are...and even if you DO know, one of them is fast so it's easy to get hit by it anyway just from not reacting fast enough or reacting incorrectly. It feels like the true culmination of everything the game has been teaching you about how the battles work. A true test of your skills. Is that not what a final boss should be?
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

warpio wrote: I want to add that it's not actually 3D models you're seeing in the remake, that's a misconception. The remakes of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are 100% 2D sprite-based games. The sprites in the remakes are just a lot more detailed with better coloring/shading effects added to make them look more 3D, and without the big black outlines that the GBA/DS games had.
It's a mix, the hands and head are models while the body and arm segments are sprites.

As for the other M&L games in the faux 3D style, they do actually use full 3D for certain parts of the game, most noticeably during the giant/papercraft battles.

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

There is one thing I forgot to mention in the Final Boss fight: The remake has you start first, always, giving you a chance to heal. Granted, that completely removes that particular challenge from the fight, but it was a dumb challenge to begin with.

Anyway...

So, I remember watching MyNameIsKaz/medibot's LP of Superstar Saga several years ago, many years after personally playing it around its launch. They pointed out something in conclusion that this LP kind of demonstrated: This game hasn't particularly aged well, and it serves mostly as an instance of a first go for Nintendo to create a proper RPG involving Mario (remember, Super Mario RPG was basically a Squaresoft game...and the original Paper Mario never really felt like an RPG (I have no experience with TTYD)). It's very clunky at times, things that should be obvious to the player weren't, and there were several things that were made inadvertently harder for the sake of difficulty. Its one saving grace is its soundtrack, handled by the GOAT Yoko Shimomura (who handled not only SMRPG but also the subsequent Mario and Luigi games).

raocow's LP exposes these weaknesses very clearly, especially for someone like him who isn't an active JRPG player. Even in the final boss fight, he still could not properly time his hammer counters, and didn't bother equipping one of the special items he got that actually negated this issue. This is not to slight raocow on what he did. I feel this is one of those instances where the game's design worked against the player, even if the developers didn't mean it to do so. raocow didn't understand what the text was saying. I doubt I did when I played this originally some 13 years ago.

With that said, it's also Nintendo's first go at it, and the company is not one to slouch on game design. Things do get better gameplay wise over the course of the series. Even Partners In Time, the immediate sequel, addresses some basic glaring issues in how moves are executed from Superstar Saga. By the time you get to Paper Jam, it feels a lot better and and is more well-rounded of an experience.

The 3DS remake of Superstar Saga takes the lessons and ideas that came after the original game in the series and applies them to it, turning it to a much better game. I understand some of the complaints regarding the monster/character designs, but I wasn't phased by it. I expected it to some degree given that developers will always look for shortcuts, and that seemed pretty inoffensive in terms of that. Of course, I didn't like the side game. But I took appreciation that many of the ideas they learned - mainly quality-of-life improvements that ultimately helped the player learn the game on their own terms - were put to great use in the remake.

I would be even so bold to say that not only would raocow have gotten a better experience from Superstar Saga out of playing the remake, but he would've had the LP that many of us wanted him to have if he did. He was definitely feeling things out in the original, and his struggles are probably a reflection of an inability to truly be able to learn from his mistakes and be a better player.

But yeah, that's my take on all this. May he Four Job Fiesta one day...
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was really disappointed at that death in the first attempt at the final boss. I assume it must have been close (someone want to do the math for how much health Cackletta had left?), and it probably actually would have been a first try win if raocow noticed that Mario had a POW debuff. He assigned Mario on offense and Luigi on healing which I think was the downfall of that first attempt, cause Luigi would have been outputting WAY more damage.

Oh well, I'm super glad this game was LPed! It's one of my favorite games of all time and it's good to see more people get to experience it.

Also I want to throw in my two cents and disagree with almost everything thatguyif has said regarding the remake being an improvement because I think it's worse in almost every change it makes. It removes so much of the charm of the original, and shoehorns in modern Nintendo's obnoxious hand-holding where they can't trust players to overcome a challenge, and rather make the game condescend do you and lower the difficulty if you mess up even once. Some of the weird quirks of Superstar Saga are exactly what makes it so great and memorable, and as the series progresses they took less and less risks with their ideas to the point where we got Paper Jam which is the most unremarkable and vanilla game Nintendo has put out in a while, and that game design methodology was brought into a lot of the changes made in the SS remake which just brings it down. Not to mention a lot of the changes are coincidentally changes that could have also been made because it was the lazy option, like not making a red Luigi sprite for when he's looking at himself in the mirror in Fungitown.
I wouldn't say the remake is a bad game by any means, just if you have the option to play the original or the remake I'd way sooner recommend the GBA version.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Also I want to throw in my two cents and disagree with almost everything thatguyif has said regarding the remake being an improvement because I think it's worse in almost every change it makes. It removes so much of the charm of the original, and shoehorns in modern Nintendo's obnoxious hand-holding where they can't trust players to overcome a challenge, and rather make the game condescend do you and lower the difficulty if you mess up even once. Some of the weird quirks of Superstar Saga are exactly what makes it so great and memorable, and as the series progresses they took less and less risks with their ideas to the point where we got Paper Jam which is the most unremarkable and vanilla game Nintendo has put out in a while, and that game design methodology was brought into a lot of the changes made in the SS remake which just brings it down. Not to mention a lot of the changes are coincidentally changes that could have also been made because it was the lazy option, like not making a red Luigi sprite for when he's looking at himself in the mirror in Fungitown.
I wouldn't say the remake is a bad game by any means, just if you have the option to play the original or the remake I'd way sooner recommend the GBA version.
There wasn't anything charming about those quirks, though. They were more often annoying than appealing. If you're one of those "git gud" types, then sure, I suppose there's some charm to that, but that says more about you than it does about the game.

As for the "hand-holding," Nintendo has done a better job of minimizing the hand-holding and tutorializing it once exhibited. This isn't Skyward Sword. You can skip 90-95% of the tutorial aspects of the game without even so much as a prompt to do so. It will mention things that are available to read, but it doesn't go out of its way to make you do so. Also, you don't seem to know what you're talking about. At no point in the remake does it automatically lower the difficulty if you screw up even once. It merely presents it as an option if you do screw up, but it does so in a way that's not insulting to the player (which is actually an improvement from Dream Team).

Finally, you never answered my point about "Red Luigi" when you brought this up before: I thought the original's take on that was actually really idiotic from a narrative standpoint. Like, how could Luigi believe himself to be Mario when what he sees in the mirror is a Mario cosplayer? From the standpoint of the remake, what you call "lazy" actually makes far more sense, because the entire point of the scene was to make Luigi believe he was Mario.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

On the topic of medibot and MyNameIsKaz's playthrough, there's one episode of theirs that has always stuck with me, for the sheer depth they go into about how the Beanbean Kingdom must be a hegemonic, despotic court, all based on their theories as to how its economy functions, of its relationship with its neighbouring kingdoms, and how Prince Peasley gets the resources for his sparkles. It has to be watched to be believed.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I was referring to how if you die it'll starting telling you to play in easy mode, which is stupid and they do it in all their games now. And you don't have to parrot the meme of dismissing anyone who's sick of this handholding as some "git gud" asshole, I think it's actually bad game design to try and make sure the player never gets frustrated or has to overcome a challenge. Whether the player consciously realizes it or not, overcoming a challenge is where the fun comes from. Having the game turn off the difficulty or offer to let you watch it play itself might relieve the player of some temporary distress, but in the long run they're not gonna have fun with the game or remember anything about it because they're not engaging with it at all.

And I did respond to your theory about it being some further metaphor of Luigi seeing himself as Mario -- Luigi and his reflection are doing different animations from each other which makes no sense. They aren't going for anything with deep metaphors like you theorized. It's obvious it was just easier to use Mario's surprised animation instead of having to make a new sprite so they just did that. But honestly that's getting way too deep into it and it's far from my main criticism with the remake.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I was referring to how if you die it'll starting telling you to play in easy mode, which is stupid and they do it in all their games now. And you don't have to parrot the meme of dismissing anyone who's sick of this handholding as some "git gud" asshole, I think it's actually bad game design to try and make sure the player never gets frustrated or has to overcome a challenge. Whether the player consciously realizes it or not, overcoming a challenge is where the fun comes from. Having the game turn off the difficulty or offer to let you watch it play itself might relieve the player of some temporary distress, but in the long run they're not gonna have fun with the game or remember anything about it because they're not engaging with it at all.
Honestly, for a lot of games, I think the ""Easy Mode"" should instead be built-in with mechanics that give the players alternative ways to go about the game in strategic ways. With any RPG (M&L included), it could be as easy as: a) rewarding observant players with prime EXP/Level-up opportunities, b) super secret shops that sell equipment that are little ahead of the power curve, c) enemies having clever, but sneaky weaknesses to find and exploit, etc. Like if they can't overcome it with sheer skill, at least they can overcome it by being clever or thorough.
video games
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I was referring to how if you die it'll starting telling you to play in easy mode, which is stupid and they do it in all their games now.
I mean, it gives you the option to switch to easy mode if you die, but that's it. At no point do they pop up a little OH GOWWY YOU'WE HAVING A WIDDLE TWOUBLE AWE YOU BAAAD AT GAMES thing like the games you're referencing (believe me i hate that as much as you do), or do anything other than present a choice to switch over. It literally doesn't even affect you– the "retry in easy mode" option is second on the list, with "retry" being the default choice.

I don't agree on the idea of "the player should be frustrated sometimes", either. Especially these days, when players have so many games to play and if they get stuck they have the option of saying nope and moving on. I know I've done it. Games shouldn't all be cakewalks, obviously, but as someone who wants to design a game one day, I'd like anyone who plays it to enjoy it whether they want challenge or a pleasant ride. (Especially in RPGs, where it's possible someone might be enjoying the story more than the gameplay... not that M&L is particularly gripping from a story perspective.)

I apologize if this comes across as aggressive, or like I totally misunderstood your opinion or something, I'm just really not fond of the "games shouldn't have easy modes AT ALL!!!" trend that's reared its head online lately.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

thatguyif wrote: "I don't want to slight him."
~But~
thatguyif wrote: "His struggles are probably a reflection of an inability to truly be able to learn from from his mistakes and be a better player."
Oof!
Ashan wrote: I was really disappointed at that death in the first attempt at the final boss. I assume it must have been close (someone want to do the math for how much health Cackletta had left?)
Sure.
Cackletta's heart has 1200hp in the GBA version. raocow did 1118 points of damage to the heart during his first attempt.

Pointless Time-stamps for each instance of damage.
214 13:09 Good
214 13:47 Good
98 15:29 De-buffed
98 16:00 De-buffed
148 17:10 Miss!
346 17:32 GREAT!.
Long story short had he got a one more GREAT! or a single extra lucky on any of his hits she would have won that first time around.
Last edited by Zummorr 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago I mean, it gives you the option to switch to easy mode if you die, but that's it. At no point do they pop up a little OH GOWWY YOU'WE HAVING A WIDDLE TWOUBLE AWE YOU BAAAD AT GAMES thing like the games you're referencing (believe me i hate that as much as you do), or do anything other than present a choice to switch over. It literally doesn't even affect you– the "retry in easy mode" option is second on the list, with "retry" being the default choice.
Well of course it's not LITERALLY telling you "you're bad at the game" but the offering itself is inherently condescending and saying "I don't think you're good enough at the game, why don't we make it easier for you?"
Why can't they just let you opt-in to easy mode when you create your file instead of bugging people who are just trying to play the game normally? In Mario Maker 2, Luigi starts offering you handicaps if you die only twice. And if you game over it'll offer to literally do the level for you. It's insulting and makes a deaths I wouldn't find at all aggravating, 100% aggravating.
Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago Long story short had he got a one more GREAT! or a single extra lucky on any of his hits she would have won that first time around.
I knew it!! That's hilarious.
Or even if he used Luigi for one of his attacks instead of sticking with Mario with his POW debuff!
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago Well of course it's not LITERALLY telling you "you're bad at the game" but the offering itself is inherently condescending and saying "I don't think you're good enough at the game, why don't we make it easier for you?"
Why can't they just let you opt-in to easy mode when you create your file instead of bugging people who are just trying to play the game normally? In Mario Maker 2, Luigi starts offering you handicaps if you die only twice. And if you game over it'll offer to literally do the level for you. It's insulting and makes a deaths I wouldn't find at all aggravating, 100% aggravating.
Okay, well... you didn't refute anything I said and I even agreed with the part you elaborated on here so I guess we're at a standstill.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago
214 13:09 Good
214 13:47 Good
98 15:29 De-buffed
98 16:00 De-buffed
148 17:10 Miss!
346 17:32 GREAT!.
Long story short had he got a one more GREAT! or a single extra lucky on any of his hits she would have won that first time around.
lol
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Honestly, if I'd have to recommend a second RPG, doing a sorta pseudo-continuation of All the MegaMen with Mega Man X: Command Mission would be a good choice. It's in the same vein of "simple but not overly dumbed-down gateway RPGs", though it's not as minigame and special input-heavy as Mario & Luigi (though there are little Bros Moves-style special input minigames when you do special attacks.) I've heard it described as being a long-lost Breath of Fire sequel, but I haven't played enough Breath of Fire to confirm if that's actually the case.