(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Legend of Randorland 3

Post by Leet »

Way to make it clear you have no idea what the conversation is
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I think this discussion on backseating should be moved the backseating thread and not be here.

Can we move this discussion out of this thread and into the backseating thread, where it might be better served?
Last edited by SAJewers 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago I think this discussion on backseating should be moved the backseating thread and not be here.
I mean technically you're minimodding but you're also 100% correct so
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

yeah that's fair, i'll re-word my post
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chirei

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - EVW

Post by Chirei »

I miss the Firehand and Thunderhand. They're really stylish and powerful looking.

You are correct in assuming that only a select few are chosen by the holy flame and holy thunder. The unworthy are reduced to mere ashes, or something.

When Mario does his Firehand on the overworld, what you are seeing is Mario quickly striking his free hand against his charging hand, like a lighter.

Hands are the middle of the road in combat power between a timed jump and a best-RNG timed hammer. They don't hit anything in the air.

Also if you finish off the enemies with Jump/Hammer/Thunder now, you will notice the bros use one of three different victory pose sets together. They really don't make 'em like this anymore.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Are Criticals different from Lucky hits? I don't remember seeing those before. Or are they only for Hand moves?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mea wrote: 4 years ago Are Criticals different from Lucky hits? I don't remember seeing those before. Or are they only for Hand moves?
crit=weakness

anyway pretty sure something super dark happened on temple island though how the oho jee infection started i dunno
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The Oho Jees are unique in that they can be defeated in two ways. You can deplete their HP the normal way, or a raocow showed, you can heal them so much the explode.
As for attacks, they can heal you. They can also run around widly in a circle or square formation (depending on the colour). If you fight them solo, it's impossible for them to hurt you!
As for their after-battle quotes, its completely random, from a wide pool. My favorite quote is "You took my experience points!"
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

THUNN-DRRRRRRRR

You know, I kinda really wish Luigi's Super Jump Punch in Smash used the electric element instead of the fire element. It would be cool, add more variety, and nod to the RPGs! I also remember Luigi doing it that way in the ol' SMBZ, complete with a thunderbolt effect.

Anyway raocow i hope you're excited to permanently have another option to scroll through with l/r!!!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago The Oho Jees are unique in that they can be defeated in two ways. You can deplete their HP the normal way, or a raocow showed, you can heal them so much the explode.
As for attacks, they can heal you. They can also run around widly in a circle or square formation (depending on the colour). If you fight them solo, it's impossible for them to hurt you!
As for their after-battle quotes, its completely random, from a wide pool. My favorite quote is "You took my experience points!"
The Oho Jees as a whole are such strange and bizarre beings in this game,
having a oddly large amount of exposition related to them.

They're definitely one of the funnier one-off Mario entities.

Anyways, while fighting them awards very little in the way of exp and cash,
they are capable of dropping two different pieces of equipment, each at a chance of around 25%. (It's much higher in Japan even.)
(surprising that raocow didn't get any actually.)

These are the Oho Jee Wear, clothes for both brothers, and the Oho Jee Symbol, a badge.

The Symbol lets you heal a little whenever you use solo hand attacks, which is a pretty appropriate effect, given how you get it.

The Wear on the other hand gives decent stats for this point of the game,
but more notable has the somewhat gross description of "Made from molted Oho Jee skins".
Fun stuff.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't think I ever knew you could overinflate the Oho Jees with healing. If I did, then I'd forgotten!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Just wait until raocow finds out about Bowser's Inside Story.

Oasis are in the middle of the desert.

Islands are in the middle of the ocean.

The desert is an ocean with the perfect disguise above.

PS: While the ocean is abundant in water, if we go by how much potable water each has, an ocean may as well be a desert.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years agoThe desert is an ocean with the perfect disguise above.
Fittingly, here at the talkhaus the horse has no name
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

-Both Hand solo attacks have a multiplier of x1.15. A Lucky! Hit is x2.2. As for a Critical hit, the spreadsheet I found doesn't list it! But a Critical hit seems to be about equal to a Lucky hit.
-I do remember you can sometimes get a Lucky hit instead of a Critical, but I don't remember if their multipliers combine for ludicrous damage, or the Lucky simply overrides the Crit.
-I also don't know the calculation of how much you heal an ememy by, if you use the wrong element.

But yeah, elemental attacks are in this game! There is really no way to tell who is weak to what, or who can resist or absorb the element. You'll just have to experiment to know for sure. But as a general rule of thumb, Fire and Thunder are often considered opposites. So an obvious Fire-elemental baddy might be weak to Thunder. Or absorb both, who knows!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 4 years agoThe desert is an ocean with the perfect disguise above.
Fittingly, here at the talkhaus the horse has no name
Protip: If you plan on eating an animal, don't name it.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

Fun fact I learned from replaying the game: raocow is so powerful that he could have defeated Cackletta in just five Bros. Attacks, if he did them at Level 3 and didn't mess up the timing. (

3x Chopper Bros. and 2x Knockback Bros.

)

He might have actually been able to win in four turns and skip Cackletta's final phase entirely! But it requires a certain item and I don't remember if he had one before the fight. With a

Red Pepper

you can do

Chopper, Red Pepper on Mario, Chopper, Knockback

Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

sylvie wrote: 4 years ago Fun fact I learned from replaying the game: raocow is so powerful that he could have defeated Cackletta in just five Bros. Attacks, if he did them at Level 3 and didn't mess up the timing. (

3x Chopper Bros. and 2x Knockback Bros.

)

He might have actually been able to win in four turns and skip Cackletta's final phase entirely! But it requires a certain item and I don't remember if he had one before the fight. With a

Red Pepper

you can do

Chopper, Red Pepper on Mario, Chopper, Knockback

Meanwhile, I took on the fight at level 10 because I've been ignoring everything but the bosses... This is the first time I've actually had trouble with Cackletta. Doing piddly damage while she can kill you in two hits is rough... but I only game overed once and I'm honestly glad I'm trying a low-level run like this. It's like playing KH2 on Critical Mode, in that you'd better know exactly how to dodge or you're just going to be miserable.

I can't wait to spend a whole day learning the final boss by heart!

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I bet you are relying on Chopper Bros. a lot for your low level run.

Watching the LP, I'm surprised how little BP you naturally gain without bonuses. I'd be very uncomfortable with barely over 20.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

It feels like I've been waiting quite a while for this to happen, but now raocow's found the hand powers, and I think they're pretty cool. Now if only one of them was ice elemental, then that could have been a pun. I guess the writers were thinking the same thing, because I don't see how saying that things seem to "slip one's mind" is supposed to be a joke. Maybe this dialogue makes more sense in the Japanese version? Anyway, I don't have much else to say here, so here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +11 (+3 +2 +2) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +23 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3 +3)
DEF +4 (+2 +2)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +4 (+2 +2)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +26 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2 +3 +2)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +5 (+1) (+4)

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Watching the LP, I'm surprised how little BP you naturally gain without bonuses. I'd be very uncomfortable with barely over 20.

On the other hand, I think at about 60 you shouldn't need any more, since that's enough to use the most expensive tech at least 10 times. You just get real equipment so late and the drink that directly raises BP uses the bean type that basically everyone's going to miss out on the most.

So if both bros start with 10, you'd maybe get... 10? 15? from levelups on an average playthrough, and i'm going to guess another 10 on average from badges. As long as the roulette doesn't absolutely hate you, you should be able to get in the ballpark of 60 by the end.

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

When Sm4sh first came out I thought to myself, "Luigi will certainly have an unlockable special attack based on the thunderhand".
When he didn't my disappointment was great.
The fact that Luigi is now the World's most powerful electrokinetic will never be mentioned again outside this game.

Aside from a very subtle reference in the next M&L game.

Mea

Post by Mea »

xnamkcor wrote: 4 years ago Oasis are in the middle of the desert.

Islands are in the middle of the ocean.

The desert is an ocean with the perfect disguise above.

PS: While the ocean is abundant in water, if we go by how much potable water each has, an ocean may as well be a desert.
This is breaking my head trying to decipher the meaning.
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: It feels like I've been waiting quite a while for this to happen, but now raocow's found the hand powers, and I think they're pretty cool. Now if only one of them was ice elemental, then that could have been a pun. I guess the writers were thinking the same thing, because I don't see how saying that things seem to "slip one's mind" is supposed to be a joke. Maybe this dialogue makes more sense in the Japanese version?
I checked out the JP version just now, there is no joke. And 'slip one's mind' is only a translation of what was there. If there's a difference, it's that Sunman doesn't say it's hilarious afterwards, which makes the JP version sound like he's just laughing bashfully about his own forgetfulness.
I don't get it either.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

My best guess is that "slip one's mind" is there so they could have a little fun with the variable text printout. It helped me think up a voice and tone for the guy, at least.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I bet you are relying on Chopper Bros. a lot for your low level run.

Advanced, actually. They nerfed standard Chopper Bros. pretty heavily. For good reason.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh you didn't indicate you were doing the remake?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica