(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mushroom Kingdom Meltdown

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Sebby19 wrote: Actually the Virus's are pretty tough, individually. It's just that raocow has pumped the bros. up with steroids because he thinks its 'funny'
Personally, I also think it's kind of funny, but of course humour is subjective. Humour aside though, it seems to be working out pretty well for raocow. Also, it's not like he's only been upgrading POW; he's been upgrading other stats when he feels that they're starting to get too low. So far he's put 21 out of 36 level up bonuses (about 58%) into POW.

It may be the case that the developers balanced the enemies assuming the player wouldn't have so much POW, but I think the fact that you can be so powerful makes this level up system pretty great; I like that you can make the bros. into glass cannons, or beefy walls, or anything else you could want. Speaking of this game's level up system, here's raocow's bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +7 (+3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +20 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3)
DEF +4 (+2 +2)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +4 (+2 +2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +21 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +5 (+1) (+4)

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I've been thinking that maybe when he enters a new area with tough enemies (like when he stumbled into that coastal spot the other day), it's a good time to bring in Bros. Moves. It's a good time to get more practice using them, and gives more rationale to invest in BP more, which is a bit low right now.

Also Advanced Moves.

I was thinking that it might make you defeat new monsters too quickly without seeing what they do (just like a high POW would), but you see the given types of enemies several times when in an area, so you would probably fight them enough to see what behaviors they have.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

High POW is not only funny, it's also actually smart in this game.
Nuking everything as fast as possible is a really good way to win battles easily.

I really don't like rally or random blocks. They feel tedious to use, they last so long and you don't really actually get that many coins out of them. That goes for other coin blocks too, it's just less obvious because they don't take as long. I usually stop bothering with all them partway through the game since you get a lot more money from battles in a more entertaining way.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Over-ing the POW is probably not a bad choice either for the meta reasons of keeping encounters short enough to keep in the video and not slow the pacing as much as possible. Though I understand that the flip-side of this is not being able to see the enemy do their moves sometimes.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I've been thinking that maybe when he enters a new area with tough enemies (like when he stumbled into that coastal spot the other day), it's a good time to bring in Bros. Moves. It's a good time to get more practice using them, and gives more rationale to invest in BP more, which is a bit low right now.

Also Advanced Moves.

If he's not using them casually now, he never will. The dream is dead.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Isn't there going to be that one part in Joke's End that forces you to do a rally block for 30 or so coins? I remember something nightmarish of that caliber.

3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago

-When the Mecha-Chomp sparks, you can still jump on it. It's just that its malfunction means it's tells are reversed.

raocow has only encountered a single Mecha-Chomp and has seen it attack once, did you REALLY have to explain their entire gimmick now?
(the original post doesn't contain the ispoiler)
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago The Virus mechanic is so clever and I wish they had more defense so you were more inclined to actually use it.
Actually the Virus's are pretty tough, individually. It's just that raocow has pumped the bros. up with steroids because he thinks its 'funny'
They're going down just as easily as any other enemy he's fighting, so they don't seem to be any tougher than others. I'd honestly prefer it if they were significantly more resistant to attack, so you had a real incentive to play their gimmick.

Also no need to sound so derisive?? I admit I'm not the best at reading tone over the internet but those quote marks make you sound downright irritated
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Scarlet Devil Mario

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Cackletta happens to give a very high amount of experience at this point of the game.
(Which funny enough, is actually a glitch resulting in her giving 3x the intended amount, which is fixed in the japanese version.)

Anyways, because of that, you can do fun stuff like this.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Well that certainly wasn't a clean battle. But congratulations! You beat the final boss. Now all that is left is to recover the Beanstar, and you win the game!

-When the witch splits into three, the real one will raise her arms at the same time.
-raocow, it's better to switch to Mode 1 to relearn attacks, so you get the slowdown. Bounce Bros. is B>A>B. Maybe practise on some enemies,
-The Heavy status ailmont increases how fast you jump, on attack AND defense. Thankfully, Bros. Attacks and Hammer(?) aren't affected. Inversely, the Light status ailmont, is the inverse, giving you more airtime. You can get that from those Green Peppers.

Don't forget to get those ? blocks you missed. Maybe they have some equipment? And there is that secret room you noted at the start of the video.

I can usually kill Cackletta's final phase in one attack, with the right Bros. Attack.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

as someone who is currently replaying megami tensei 1 (not shin) and is having fun with the stat building mechanic (i'm mostly just giving nakajima strength, yumiko intellect and buffing up vitality and speed for both, luck is gonna be an afterthought) and also loves other games that have stat building in them (especially if i can bullshit them like ff8 and ultima 1) raocow should keep pumping nearly everything into POW if he wants

this is his run he should feel free to shitpost in it as long as he doesnt softlock himself. games are about Fun

like in saga frontier i barely ever use guns and mystics unless i'm feeling like spicing things up, and i never use monsters unless im playing the first 2 game boy games (using them properly requires futzing about with spreadsheets and guides and such, same with setting up combos for that matter). and in the romancing saga games i completely ignore hammers and i'm especially picky about magic schools and spells in romancing 1-3 + sf1.

i also always forget about martial arts in the post rs1 games unless i'm using boston in rs3, the monks in rs2 or liza and fei-on in sf1 despite how broken they can get because im so used to barefisted fighting in an rpg sucking dick.

the "snippy intros" from episode 6 and 7 still stick and i'm not just saying that because that's where im at in terms of episodes. and i gotta say i'm pleasantly surprised at raocow's handling of an rpg. something more rigid like dragon quest wouldn't really befit him but i can see the experience from this lp expanding his horizons in terms of games he could play.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

wrt eeker's weird attack pattern:

when they do their rush attack, the number of times they "sway"(make a weird noise) is one less than the number of times they clap(but always at least one). so if they clap three times, they'll sway twice before moving forward. if they clap once, they'll sway once.

their other, more rare fireball attack you have to hit them twice with the hammer to prevent(if the first hit does not kill them), and if you don't they pelt you with a ton of fireballs. they're definitely tricky/weirdly complex enemies but they also have very low health so you can just get em first

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Cackletta is great fight for the game's first climax, all her attacks even the lightning, her simplest, are flashy, and the fight has neat music.
Speaking of neat music the Mario RPGs have a lot of good music, and it should be represented more in Smash Bros.
I could never dodge her bat swarms properly.
Also beans in tubes in that one area, I want to say something witty but it just really caught my eye; gives off more of a mad science laboratory vibe than a university. (That said, I'm usually not in biology buildings at schools, for all I know beans in green slime are the norm.)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

At this point, I'm just kind of wondering what raocow's going to do when ATK inevitably caps.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I'm pretty sure it won't? Like, I think the cap for the stats is so high no player would ever reach them without cheating. The most that would happen is lower numbers in the roulette.

I might be totally wrong tho
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

If that does happen, he can start relying more on Bros. moves.

Also, does DEF affect the poison damage you take? I'm curious about that.

Also today was the coolest episode we had in a while.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I found it a bit funny that after getting hit by the projectile that you're supposed to deflect with the barrels raocow's first thought was to shrink down Mario so Luigi would get hit instead. Anyway, Cackletta's here, and you actually fight her here. I don't have much to say about the fight itself, but I like how the music remixes the music of the cutscene immediately before the fight, as well as Cackletta's theme.

Also, since raocow leveled up from that battle, here's his bonus stat allocations.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +9 (+3 +2) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +20 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3)
DEF +4 (+2 +2)
SPEED +3 (+3)
STACHE +4 (+2 +2)

Luigi
HP +5 (+5)
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +21 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2 +1 +2)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +5 (+1) (+4)

MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 4 years ago I'm pretty sure it won't? Like, I think the cap for the stats is so high no player would ever reach them without cheating. The most that would happen is lower numbers in the roulette.

I might be totally wrong tho
There's no way you can cap stats with just level-ups.

The max level is 99, but past level 50, the stats you get from leveling up drop significantly.

That being said, actually capping your stats is actually pretty easy, just time consuming thanks to the star beans drinks.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Boy, it will never fail to surprise me how often your absurdly high damage output makes up for your staunch refusal to heal!

Also I can't believe I haven't mentioned this until now but I LOVE Cackletta's theme. It's like a classical fugue, and the way they make her boss music into a panicked remix of it is perfect.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess it is fair to say that in order to be good at these games you need to pay a lot of attention to the enemies and their tells. Which you can't really do when you're talking to an audience.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Also, does DEF affect the poison damage you take? I'm curious about that.
Nope. Like all games that implement poison correctly, it will always bypass defense unless there's some explicit poison defense/resistance stat.
Implo

Post by Implo »

When final boss appears much earlier in the battle than at the end, it usually means that after winning this fight or at the end of it, there will be cheap explanation or cheap move telling us why we actually lost the battle. It was almost a case here. But Prince Peasley appeared and Nintendo managed to avoid this kind of situation.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Ashan wrote: Also I can't believe I haven't mentioned this until now but I LOVE Cackletta's theme. It's like a classical fugue, and the way they make her boss music into a panicked remix of it is perfect.
Went to go take a closer listen to it and yeah, really sounds awesome. Also holy shoot Yoko Shimomura did the sountrack for this game!?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You better believe it! just wait until the final boss!

Unfortunately lightning didn't strike twice, so she kinda messed it up in the remake :ehh:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Legend of Randorland 3

Post by Grounder »

vibrating gif alert
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage