(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - とってもYEAHHHH!!

Post by thatguyif »

Yeah, I'm just comparing to the remake. So there, I guess?

More remake notes!:
  • To make up for the fact that you can make more blends in the StarB system, the remake balances this by making your stat boost lower, i.e. +2.
  • The enemies you encountered midway through the video (the Bob-ombs, weirdo Koopas, and Tanoombas) are actually harder in the remake. I remember have to take a few turns just grinding down some of these guys before hitting up Woohoo.
Now, I wish to show off a great moment in Let's Play history, from medibot and MyNameIsKaz's run of this game. In which medibot lays down in meticulous detail how the Beanbean Kingdom is essentially Saudi Arabia in the Mario universe:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

You didn't have to do a big roundabout trip around the south edge of Beanbean fields when you dropped off that ledge. You can just high jump back up!

I'm happy to finally have gotten into the Hooniversity, this area has always been one of my favorites in the game. It was also an area that really stumped me at one point, but we'll get to that when we get to that cause I have a pretty funny story regarding this.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Since Rao saw the Tanoomba in this video, let me tell you a maybe-cautionary tale:

In the sequel, Partners in Time, the Tanoomba reappears as a mid-game enemy. It's 'bout the same as in this game. HOWEVER, there is also a Shroob-infested variant called the Tashrooba (even dumber name I know) that appears in the endgame dungeon. The defining trait of the Tashrooba: It's attacks alternate between the two bros too fast for you to dodge by jumping with both bros at once! On my first playthrough I had gone the entire playthrough not learning to jump with a single bro at a time, and that was a VERY ride awakening.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago Since Rao saw the Tanoomba in this video, let me tell you a maybe-cautionary tale:

In the sequel, Partners in Time, the Tanoomba reappears as a mid-game enemy. It's 'bout the same as in this game. HOWEVER, there is also a Shroob-infested variant called the Tashrooba (even dumber name I know) that appears in the endgame dungeon. The defining trait of the Tashrooba: It's attacks alternate between the two bros too fast for you to dodge by jumping with both bros at once! On my first playthrough I had gone the entire playthrough not learning to jump with a single bro at a time, and that was a VERY ride awakening.
more like trashoomba amirite
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Woohoo Hooniversity is probably my favourite dungeon in the game. I have to ask if there was that much exposed wire prior to Cackletta attacking, or if she ripped up the floors.
Being transformed into a monster whose life is agony by an evil witch's dark magic is a pretty good metaphor for how I felt during my last term at school.
Yo Bros are weird, I don't feel like they fit the SCIENCE aesthetic that the other enemies in hooniversity have, and they're koopas (in the remake they're shells are more obvious). One theory is that they're the hip young students, turned into evil turtles by Cackletta's magic and granted hip yoyos to style all over intruders.
(spoiled for size)

An interesting note about Laser Snifits and Yo Bros

like Rexes, both enemies have non-normal interactions with hands despite only appearing in an area you go to prior to learning hand techniques.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I thought Yo Bros were so cool as a kid because it was like WOAH a super obscure hammer bro variant????!!!!!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Whoever reported my last post for spoilers obviously doesn't know the game very well.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Whoever reported my last post for spoilers obviously doesn't know the game very well.

Honestly, it shouldn't be hard to understand that you shouldn't openly post ahead of time things that have yet to come up.

I fully know that there's like another half of the game after you fight Cackletta. It's still a spoiler. I certainly didn't expect to fight Cackletta in the university until I actually did, and I thought it was interesting twist to have a battle with the prime antagonist somewhere in the middle of the adventure. That should be left to the player's surprise.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Is it really a surprise?
Seemed kinda obvious I was lying through me teeth there.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I certainly didn't expect

to fight Cackletta in the university

until I actually did
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Is it really a surprise?

The surprise isn't that there's more of the game left, that's obvious from the map. The surprise is that you're going to fight the disc one final boss in the first place. I mean, it's not a big surprise but, it's not known.

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

It's nice to see raocow out fighting enemies again after spending a day doing that bean stone side quest, which definitely looked like it would be unfun to play. Anyway, I may be a bit late here, but here's raocow's bonus stat allocations, now featuring bonuses from the drinks raocow has made.
The first number is the total increase, the first set of brackets show level up bonuses, and the second set of brackets show bonuses from drinks.
Mario
HP +7 (+3) (+4)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +20 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3 +2 +2 +4 +1 +3)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +0
STACHE +4 (+2 +2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +18 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4 +3 +1 +2 +2)
DEF +6 (+2 +4)
SPEED +7 (+4 +3)
STACHE +5 (+1) (+4)

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Is it really a surprise?

The surprise isn't that there's more of the game left, that's obvious from the map. The surprise is that you're going to fight the disc one final boss in the first place. I mean, it's not a big surprise but, it's not known.

Fine, I'll concede.

As a suggesting to LunarRainbowShyGuy, maybe make your drink bonuses bold, italicized, or underlined, ect, so they can stand out more.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mushroom Kingdom Meltdown

Post by Grounder »

the door puzzle gave me way too much trouble as a kid

props to rao for completing it so fast
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

-Man, it's a little tough watching raocow walk past so many Chuckle (and Hee) bean spots. Look for circles on the ground!
-You actually can use the Rally Blocks up to 3 times. I didn't know this until Chuggaaconroy's LP.
-Ha, raocow's absurd POW stat is finally showing negative consequences, since he won't be able effectively use the quick kill option on the Virus's
-When the Mecha-Chomp sparks, you can still jump on it. It's just that its malfunction means it's tells are reversed. They were replaced with generic mecha-koopas in the remake, which I don't agree with (among other enemy changes)

-Finally, the room with the barrel has a secret exit!. It is marked and labelled.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Okay, notes ahoy!

General notes:
  • The game doesn't flat-out tell you, but: Status ailments only last in battle. They stop after a set time, or when you use a Refreshing Herb, or when the battle ends.
Remake notes:
  • A small detail, but: If you ambush the viruses, the remake will make them change color.
  • Again, enemies are a little harder in the remake in this area. Of particular note: The Yo Bros will multi-attack by default, they don't require a charge-up move.
  • Mecha-Chomp is not an enemy in the remake. It gets replaced by the classic Mechakoopa, who has similar functions.
  • So, a big thing that I don't bring up until now is that the remake makes a lot of hidden things a lot more visible than they did in the original. For example, you've missed a bunch of different bean patches/pits so far, but they are also really obscured or have different looks to them (like in this level, except for the one you found, they're mostly divots on the ground that you have to look really hard at). In the remake, these patches/pits have the same exact look/symbol to them, so they're much easier to recognize and find. There is also a secret room you missed in this video, but there's literally only one clue that indicates its existence in the original. The remake adds a bunch of clues to indicate its location (plus the mini-map gives you a heads-up).
I think I have another two or three videos until I have to start playing again...annoyingly, though, SGDQ just started (I thought it was two weeks from now!) I'll try to keep up, but Bowser's Minions is starting to drag...
Last edited by thatguyif 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years agoThere is also a secret room you missed in this video, but there's literally only one clue that indicates its existence in the original. The remake adds a bunch of clues to indicate its location.
I'd say the original has two hints.
1) The map gives the hidden room away
2) The literal arrow pointing at the exit
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years agoThere is also a secret room you missed in this video, but there's literally only one clue that indicates its existence in the original. The remake adds a bunch of clues to indicate its location.
I'd say the original has two hints.
1) The map gives the hidden room away
2) The literal arrow pointing at the exit
The second hint is what I'm referring to. I would not count the first bit as a hint. The mini-maps in the original are kind of terrible because they're only found in specific spots with only a small amount of detail, and I can forgive raocow for not realizing there's another room, because most of the time you only have a vague sense of where you are. The remake addresses this by having the mini-map available at all times with the maps themselves being far more detailed.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I do want to say that the room that examines the ? (and !) blocks from previous games is legit awesome. I've never considered what those things were canonically made of until then.

And new questions can be raised regarding the Paper Mario block, since canonically it's universe is contained within a book Luigi and Toad find in the attic of Peach's Castle, in the 5th game.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I had to go dig up an old post to find it, but here is a drawing I did when the remake came out, because the new tileset in the 3DS version made me finally realize for my first time that this thing here is a bundle of wires, and not a silly long-tongue monster face statue they had jutting out of the wall all over.
Grounder wrote: 4 years ago the door puzzle gave me way too much trouble as a kid

props to rao for completing it so fast
Yeah, so when I was a kid this puzzle really stumped me. I think I might have actually gotten stuck on it and didn't know how to progress for a good amount of time. Eventually when I DID figure it out, rather than doing the obvious thing and memorizing a pattern of either the reds or the blues and transferring that pattern onto the statues, I memorized the entire layout from left to right, top to bottom. And for some reason, after memorizing it that one time as a kid, it got stuck in my head and I haven't forgotten it even ~17 years later.
From memory:
red red blue blue
red blue red red
red blue red red
I'm not even going to look it up again to verify, I will die with this information permanently stuck in my head.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

The Virus mechanic is so clever and I wish they had more defense so you were more inclined to actually use it.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoAnd new questions can be raised regarding the Paper Mario block, since canonically it's universe is contained within a book Luigi and Toad find in the attic of Peach's Castle, in the 5th game.
I mean at that point it's just a replica of a fictional object. We do that all the time in real life!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago The Virus mechanic is so clever and I wish they had more defense so you were more inclined to actually use it.
Actually the Virus's are pretty tough, individually. It's just that raocow has pumped the bros. up with steroids because he thinks its 'funny'

The Virus's return in Dream, only this time you fight 16 of them at a time.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 4 years agoI had to go dig up an old post to find it, but here is a drawing I did when the remake came out, because the new tileset in the 3DS version made me finally realize for my first time that this thing here is a bundle of wires, and not a silly long-tongue monster face statue they had jutting out of the wall all over.
It took me awhile to figure out what it was. All I could see at first was what appeared to be Carmen Sandiego lying on the ground. (Surfboard thing at the top is her hat with a feather in it, what you have as a jaw is her arm, the tongue for you would be her leg.)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago It's just that raocow has pumped the bros. up with steroids because he thinks its 'funny'
I mean, he's totally right.