(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Super Mario World Omega

Post by Sebby19 »

Beans!
Beans are used to make cofee at Starbeans. The coffee is used to

permanently raise your stats

, and they cannot be used in battle. When you make a new blend for the first time, E. Gadd will show up and reward you with an equipable item (more on those later)

-The yellow Hoo beans can be earned from minigames only
-The green Woo beans are dropped by most enemies. You'll need a lot, since they are required in all 3 coffee blends that take 2 types of beans.
-The red Chuckle beans can only be dug up from the ground, so keep a watch out for them. There are some that are completely unmarked, you'll need Mini-Mario to sense them. No one expects you to find those ones.
-The brown Hee beans are only obtained from ? blocks. Incredibly RARE, and most are found in invisible ? blocks. There are no clues to find these, you'll just need to use your intuition. Most are bunched up in dead-end rooms that don't seem to do anything. For example,

that one house with the single mushroom in the corner has 3 invisible ? blocks

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Beans!
Beans are used to make cofee at Starbeans. The coffee is used to

permanently raise your stats

, and they cannot be used in battle. When you make a new blend for the first time, E. Gadd will show up and reward you with an equipable item (more on those later)

-The yellow Hoo beans can be earned from minigames only
-The green Woo beans are dropped by most enemies. You'll need a lot, since they are required in all 3 coffee blends that take 2 types of beans.
-The red Chuckle beans can only be dug up from the ground, so keep a watch out for them. There are some that are completely unmarked, you'll need Mini-Mario to sense them. No one expects you to find those ones.
-The brown Hee beans are only obtained from ? blocks. Incredibly RARE, and most are found in invisible ? blocks. There are no clues to find these, you'll just need to use your intuition. Most are bunched up in dead-end rooms that don't seem to do anything. For example,

that one house with the single mushroom in the corner has 3 invisible ? blocks

One nice little feature that the american version lacks is marking which blends you've already made, which sadly NOA forgot to include in their version of the game.

Also, while not so much now, later in the game, stat-change status effects like DEF-Up/Down and POW-Up/Down are actually insanely powerful because of the way the damage formula works.
In particular,

enemies pretty much always do 1 damage when inflicted with POW-Down from Advance Thunder Bros.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 4 years agoE. Gadd didn't drink all your bean juice, he just had a sip. You scrolled right past the drinks in your inventory while looking for the bros rock
Considering he scrolled right past the bros. rock multiple times while explicitly looking for it and somehow not seeing it despite it being one of five entries on that menu, it's not terribly surprising he missed the drinks too, lol.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

R.I.P. Elvin.

To the beanstone quest's credit, if you took the time to pinpoint the specific position with the bigger marker for all of them like you eventually did with the last two it probably would've gone by faster. But it's easy to miss that detail and dowsing mechanics like these really should give the player both fewer objects to find and much wider detection ranges. Nice reward or not, that's still pretty bleh design.
Sebby19 wrote: Beans!
So we can probably rule out raocow getting enough Hee beans for every blend by the end of the game unless people outright tell him the blocks' locations, but assuming he digs up all of the remaining Chuckle beans with completely visible rings (as in, not partially obscured by scenery) will he have enough of those?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Also, can I just say that I love how powerful the equipment in Superstar Saga is? Imagine being just a couple hours into the game, and suddenly having equipment that doubles the exp AND coins you get from fights?

Not to mention the

Great Force and Mush badges.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

You know what they say. The camera adds ten pounds to you.

Also if you think that digging mini-game was bad...

"Kweh"
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago
To answer your question in the spoiler tag, there is definitely enough visible Chuckle bean spots to make both of it's coffee blends. Thankfully, the remake unveils all of them

I recommend tomorrow rao walk one lap around the castle and town area, he might find some nice things, or things to remember for later. And if he really wants to, climb up the mountain to dig up more Chuckle Beans. Blablanadon is on one-way trip, so start with him.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
So about those cutscenes at Starbeans Cafe. Originally they were supposed to be cameos by various Nintendo characters. They were scripted and finished, but it looks like they were cut at the last minute, and E. Gadd's role was expanded (he originally only gave the 7th item)
-Wario gave the Greed Bag
-Fox McCloud gave the Bonus Ring (notice it's a Star Fox ring?)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Tempted to post a beany warning in a spoiler tag but I suppose it would be hypocritical of me. Ah well!

Anyway, fun sidequests! Part of a balanced role-game. The digging in the remake is, blessedly, less precise. So are Mini-Mario's digging senses.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

These sidequests are so non-good. I've played the game enough times that I know all the locations by heart but like

They're just not fun??
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Talking about the bean stuff from past locations isn't a spoiler, so we're good. If you start mentioning specific locations of them that are hidden or ones or definitely others in areas that have yet to be shown in the playthrough, then yes, those would definitely need spoiler boxes. Other than that, keep on keeping on!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

beans beans the musical fruit

the more you drink them the more you DIE
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
warpio

Post by warpio »

I think it's cute how the M&L series gives you so many broken equippables all over the place, just to emphasize how this isn't a normal RPG and it's not taking the "strategize and prepare for battles" element seriously at all. Really these games are just action RPGs games with a glorified turn-based RPG system tacked on that really doesn't matter at all once you get good at the action element. Like you can totally just wing it through the whole game without ever equipping stuff if you're good enough.

And it's an interesting contrast between this and what I consider to be the "true" Mario RPG series, Paper Mario. In those games, the RPG elements like equippables and such actually ARE important and meant to be taken seriously, and every move you make in battle has to be thought about somewhat. unlike in M&L where the only difference in what move you make is "do I do a small hit or a big hit with a bros attack?"

Even the later Paper Mario games, which a lot of people have issues with, I've played through them and they definitely still have tactical elements to their battles, just somewhat differently with it being a card/consumable based system rather than standard RPG battle menus. I did actually like Color Splash quite a bit despite its flaws, and it made me still want to be hopeful for the future of the Paper Marios... but this is getting way off topic lol.

I'm pretty sure that Beanstone pixel hunt nonsense was the worst sidequest in the entire M&L series hands down.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario Forever

Post by thatguyif »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago
  • After gaining the hammer abilities, some of the town recovers, but not completely. You can access the warp pipe and (I think) the eastern half. This was something you couldn't do in the original.
does any added dialogue allude to this? if not, i've always wondered about stuff like this - it's really not uncommon for rpgs to have these sort of arbitrary and extremely unintuitive triggers for previous areas to progress into a new state that is sandwiched between two other states with less odd triggers, leading to it being very likely that the player will never once see it. usually it feels like it's just because the state was implemented before the story progression was fully figured out or because said progression was modified later in development, but, while that's still possible for a remake ( esp. a remake that tweaks as much as it does ) ... it's still a remake, and not one that basically turns it into a new game, either
It gets kind of alluded to in Bowser's Minions, of all things?

Bowser's Minions also explain plot points such as:
  • Why Professor E. Gadd owns a cafe in the Beanbean Kingdom
  • Is Prince Peasley always that annoying
  • And more!
FourteenthOrder wrote: 4 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago I'm surprised you didn't notice this already, but the Bros' EXP tables are already imbalanced. Luigi actually gains levels faster than Mario over the course of the game.
Oh my gosh I have played this game at least a dozen times and never noticed this
I only picked up on it during the remake run, but reviewing the EXP table it's true. I think it makes a lot of sense, too, because otherwise you're just basically treating the bros as two clones with modded stats.

Anyway, some more remake notes for you:
  • The StarB system is a lot easier in the remake. All the single-bean blends only require 10 beans each of their type, while the double-bean blends only require 6 and 4 beans of each type. I was able to make all seven blends at least once before the game's halfway point (which is where I've stopped at for the moment, as Fiesta takes prominence the next week or so). Also, the game takes advantage of the 3DS' dual screen by having one screen list all the blend recipes, which get crossed off when you do them once.
  • The Beanstone sidequest, while still very awful and annoying, is made somewhat simpler. The proximity sensor has a much bigger range than in the original, and it's much clearer where you're supposed to dig under (the bubble which indicates something is near turns big and spiky to mark the exact spot).
  • I may be wrong on this, but the Beanlets sidequest, I'm pretty sure the last one you picked up got moved, probably because the remake sprite was too small?
  • The stores have different gear in them. I can't remember the exact specifics, but I think there are fewer badges and gear for each in the remake. This is again to make up for gear and badges being introduced as items much earlier than the original. Also, in a difficulty boost, you cannot pick up 1-Up Supers (which are basically Phoenix Feathers/Full-life/Arise) initially in the Item shop.
  • Something I'll note because this video reminded me: The photos in the remake are essentially headshots as opposed to full body portraits. Makes sense, given real passport photos are headshots as well. You can still do goofy expressions, the camera will just shoot the top half of it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

A lot you can do in the Beanbean Castle Town once Queen Bean is restored and you see the town repaired.
It's unfortunate that near the end of the game, when the town is attacked by Bowser's Castle, the town buildings mostly (but not entirely) go back to the closed-off state they were in when you first arrived there. And it stays like that for the rest of the game; you can't restore it to the peaceful state.

I like it when a game, after you beat it, allows you access to its places in a post-clear state, rather than only permitting you to go back to the point before the final boss/level or to load the latest save before the end. It's too bad that the latter tendency is common with RPGs and adventure games, Superstar Saga included. It would have been nice to see the tranquil town again once you finish the final level and regain access to the buildings and sidequests.
Also, the information shop should have been like Cranky & Wrinkly in DKC2 (which we'll get to soon) where you can purchase a piece of information once and you'll be able to access it whenever you want.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Bean wrote: Talking about the bean stuff from past locations isn't a spoiler, so we're good. If you start mentioning specific locations of them that are hidden or ones or definitely others in areas that have yet to be shown in the playthrough, then yes, those would definitely need spoiler boxes. Other than that, keep on keeping on!
Actually it was going to be about

how beans of certain types are in limited supply, so it's possible that rao won't have enough to make all the drinks if he makes too many. And making each drink once is how you get all the bonus items.

It's a permanently missable thing, which is why I was so tempted to speak up, but rao wants to make his own mistakes and I'm the type to encourage such things so I'm hesitant to unspoil it.

But Bean is right about beans! If you're so inclined, you can go back right now and look for more bean spots in old locations! They started appearing as of Hoohoo Village and the mountain.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

If he really wants to get all the drink types, he can replenish the red and brown (as well as green) beans at the surfing minigame. That entails farming, though, so it helps to look for beans as he progresses.

Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

By the way, I don't know if anyone else was doing this already, but I'm keeping track of where rao's been and not been, so since rao usually appreciates having a "head to this general area for cleanup!" list when we near endgame, I'll have one ready for efficiency.
The list mostly focuses on "bonus areas", plus a few out-of-the-way blocks that I remember having rare/unique items. There's no real "100% completion" in this game apart from getting every individual block and bean, and I really don't feel like sending rao on a scavenger hunt if THAT'S the only reward. If yall have stuff to add, go ahead. The list I post in the end won't list what's there, it's just to clarify what I'm pointing towards in case you people are checking a map and wondering what I'm talking about.

Beanbean Outskirts
  • West of Castle Town's western exit (gate leading to bonus cave)
  • North of Castle Town's western exit (missable warp pipe)
  • Near Yoshi Theater (boo statue leading to bonus cave)
  • East of Yoshi Theater (! block opening nearby bonus cave)
  • East of Teehee Valley entrance (bonus area with plants)
  • North of the pipe used to leave Oho Ocean (easy-to-miss warp pipe)
  • North of Harhall's studio (block that I think has unique equipment in it?)
  • Talk to Harhall (probably a whole episode of painting shirts hooray)
Hoohoo Mountain Base (between the minecart minigame and Beanbean Outskirts)
  • North of the exit to Teehee Valley (mole behind a rock)
  • North of the exit to Beanbean Outskirts (boo statue)
Oho Ocean
  • Northwest of the oasis (whirlpool leads to mole island)
  • Southeast of the oasis (surfin beanbean kingdommmm)
Gwarhar Lagoon
  • From Hermie, head all the way south, then all the way east (starfish sidequest)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years agoE. Gadd didn't drink all your bean juice, he just had a sip. You scrolled right past the drinks in your inventory while looking for the bros rock
Considering he scrolled right past the bros. rock multiple times while explicitly looking for it and somehow not seeing it despite it being one of five entries on that menu, it's not terribly surprising he missed the drinks too, lol.
I'll be honest, raocow found it before I did. I can't tell what order the badge menu is sorted by, but usually when you get a new item, and something so good it won't suddenly be the first in the list, exactly where your cursor starts.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'm always disappointed that "helpful" comments sections tend to make LPs of a game less unique to the LPer, pushing every playthrough towards the generic ideal with minimal variance. A big thing about videogames is that they aren't on rails! It's fun that different people make different decisions, and discover things in different orders (or not at all) for a personalized experience of the game!

Which is to say I hope raocow at the very least ignores outside advice for what stats to boost, and stuff like that.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

This thread exists so that we can discuss and contribute instead of watching silently. Despite his initial concerns about people not having faith in him, he's been finding much of the audience input helpful and enjoyable. Let him read what he wants to read and use what he wants to use.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - とってもYEAHHHH!!

Post by Leet »

Ditocoaf is referring to the youtube comment section that raocow has already brought up the possibility of outright turning off
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

-There is indeed something there in that room after the hedge maze
-Luigi can burrow under any fencing, even if it looks like it goes into the ground.

This is it! Final boss is at the end of this area!

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SURPRISE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE SCHOOL TIMES
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

late because im catching up but did anyone do a funny haha loss meme xd with the hooroglyphs yet

Superstar SaGa
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*