(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Mario

Post by Ashan »

I'm sure a thousand people will be reeling to just give you the solution, but I think I should just say you absolutely had the right idea for what to do with those circles in one of the things you tried, you just weren't positioned exact enough.

Also with the bounce bros -- I think you've forgotten that in bros attacks, the red and green light directly indicate when you press A and B. It looks to me like you keep randomly pressing A as soon as you've pressed B which makes it fall apart.

The first time I got to this area, I could NOT for the life of me find my way through the barrel maze and assumed I had to do something else. I read the chuckola cola brewing instructions and thought that was some hint for how I got ahold of the stuff, and I was trying to knock the chuckle fruit things out of trees outside.

I also remembered this is the music I got in my box for the horrible level I made in MAGL2.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

today raocow encounters his true enemy: fake french people

Incidentally, you can't do the funny bit with smacking your brother and making him angry anymore. Lost forever. Truly the worst RPG.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So rao, quick question: What the heck is 'zut alors'? I've never heard that phrase until this game.

And wow, raocow beat Popple in 3 attacks... I think you've boosted your attack too much.
Stuff about Popple and Rookie
-I think Popple is able to steal your hammer in this battle and use it against you for a few turns.
-He's also able to use any mushrooms he steals on himself, or Rookie.
-Bowser Rookie does indeed counter-attack whenever you attack his boss. Future enemies are able to counterattack too, they all make a distinct noise when it happens.
-I'm not sure why it didn't happen in this battle, but not Bowser is supposed to relearn his Fire Breath and half health. His reaction is funny: "Woah, that's spicy!"
-And because Popple is a dirty coward, if you KO his muscle, he will flee the battle with a smug grin. Thus you lose out on some exp, coins, and whatever else he drops.

Finally, I think you should drop down to Mode 1, to relearn Bounce Bros. You're doing the 2nd input too early. Press the button when a bro flashes red/green.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I want raocow to figure out the circles organically.
video games
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

hey, at least their hedge maze is themed appropriately, and not a literal hedge maze
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So rao, quick question: What the heck is 'zut alors'? I've never heard that phrase until this game.
"But alas," but aggressively French-accented.

Also, raocow, buddy, friend, pal, amigo, chum, comrade, ally, pen pal...

It's BAB for Luigi's bro attack.

You keep doing it wrong and it doesn't seem like you're going to ever figure it out on your own.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Image
So ready for raocow to dig up these forum pixels
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

So I get stuck in the barrel maze for hours and end up needing to look up a map on gamefaqs, meanwhile raocow blazes through it in less than two minutes. I know raocow is older than younger me but COME ON!

Man, you won a CRUSHING victory over Popple there. Didn't even get to see all of Rookie's attacks!

I was wondering how raocow would react to Cork and Cask. He took their fake French pretty well I guess.

So close and yet so far from figuring out the Mysterious Floor Marks. Damn GBA sensitivity!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The remark

about Yoshi's dreamscape is pretty spot-on

Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mario & Mario: Superstar Saga - The Mario Mario

Post by Awoo »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Image
Despite all of this, X is still "B"-ranked
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Hoo boy. So I spent all of Sunday watching The Run (Four Job Fiesta opening race...anyone doing FJF?), so I didn't watch Sunday's video until tonight. Anyway...

One thing I want to say to raocow: Don't be afraid to go back to Mode 1 to learn a Bros. Attack, then gradually transition to Modes 2 and 3 once you get comfortable with how the mechanics work. They're there for a reason.

Anyway, remake notes:

Boss Fights:
  • Queen Bean is made a lot easier on two fronts: One, they didn't scale her arms' HP enough to account for the double-jump the Bros. have in the remake. So it's very rare to ever make it to the point where you have to do hammer counters. Two, she doesn't spit out as many Beanies (2-3, really).
  • The Popple/Rookie fight functions differently. The "Rookie's" hammer attack is much easier in the remake: He only throws one hammer at a time, in the same order. To make up for the drop in difficulty...well, that's something I'll bring up later on in the series.
Story Notes:
  • Bowser's Minions explains what actually caused Bowser to become the Rookie (and no I'm not putting that in spoilers because it's too damn obvious): Basically, after being launched from that cannon near the border to Hoohoo Mountain, Bowser got into a scuffle with Fawful that eventually involves him hanging on to the weirdo from high above. Fawful drops him. Soon after hitting the ground, something falls on his head, rendering him amnesiac. Popple, in the midst of stealing food, trips over Bowser (who has become hungry after wandering aimlessly, only to eat all the food Popple stole). Bowser starts following Popple, assuming that's where the food is. Eventually, Popple takes him in because he had no choice - much different from the narrative described by Popple in today's fight. (There's a pretty sad scene where Captain Goomba and crew find the newly minted "Rookie," and he fails to recognize his minions at all. Captain Goomba has a breakdown at this :( )
Gameplay Notes:
  • Interestingly, the Queen Bean fight shows a major difference between the original and remake that actually sucks in the remake. When you beat bosses, you can earn multiple items as spoils. However, the remake takes on the mechanic from the 3DS M&L games in that enemies and bosses only drop one item each. To make up for this...
  • In the original, it's after the defeat of Queen Bean and leaving Beanbean Castle that you're really introduced to equipment such as gear and badges. In the remake, however, you can get equipment much earlier than that, because boss item drops were changed to make up for the lack of multi-items. Examples: Beating up Tolstar at the border is where you get your first gear equip (the Cosmic Pants), while defeating Dragohoho (aka Prince Peasley) gives you your first badge (the Bwaha Badge). They still retain the introduction of equipment scene, however, which is rather awkward.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah it's really weird the badge scene is still in the remake. "Sorry Luigi, you'll have to buy your own" Dude, I already got 5 to choose from.

Speaking of new items, it's pretty much across the board where they changed what enemies dropped what. Not something I was a fan of, for some reason.
Was it just me, or were Woo Beans much harder to obtain in the remake? I felt I got twice as many in the original.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
warpio

Post by warpio »

The remake also makes that "indented ground circle" puzzle easier.

Not only because the accuracy required for digging them up is much more lenient, but also because of the remake changing how your bros moves are selected making it MUCH easier to quickly dig up a been by just tapping R->R->A->B rather than having to first switch bros and then switch to the hammer etc.

Last edited by warpio 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Speaking of new items, it's pretty much across the board where they changed what enemies dropped what. Not something I was a fan of, for some reason.
No, that was really stupid of them. Like I get the reason why they did it (because they didn't want remake that mechanic - it was easier to just import the template used in the later M&L games), but that doesn't make it any less annoying, simply because a lot of stuff got lost in the shuffle (and there haven't been any serious attempts to index where they are).
Was it just me, or were Woo Beans much harder to obtain in the remake? I felt I got twice as many in the original.
I don't think so? I got a ton of Woo Beans early on, so it didn't seem like they were an issue. In fact, by the time I got to the halfway point in the game (

which I reckon is after you return to the mainland after you get your Hand moves

), I had enough beans to

make all 7 Starbeans drinks at least once

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This is an alright boss fight in my book. I like that you get a choice of who to take out first, with your choice having an impact on the fight. You can go after Popple first, but then Rookie will get to counter attack each time you hit Popple, or you can go after Rookie first, but that gives Popple more opportunities to steal your stuff. Boss fight aside, I also liked seeing raocow's insight on Cork and Cask's dialogue.

Reverning

Post by Reverning »

rao you've been kind of beating yourself up about getting mixed up inputs, but I just want to say, I honestly think you're handling the learning curve really well here. You're getting the hang of each new mechanic in 15 minutes or less; tripping over the buttons will become less common over time. You're not doing bad at all
Chirei

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Luigi's World

Post by Chirei »

Encountering three of those beanies in one segment is insane luck.

The spiny killer badge is not to be underestimated since it doubles damage against sharp enemies. It will also enable bros moves that count as jumps to hit spiny enemies with the double damage, and also allow an equipped bro to jump on them in the overworld.

also hoo hoo hoo
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey rao, did you know Bros. Attacks are based off of your field moves? And you just learned new field moves for your hammers. Do the math.

The Spike Badge let's you JUMP on Spiked enemies for double damage! And you have 2 to cover each bro, lucky!

And your POW stat is too high. Some people may be sad if you kill bosses too quickly, like you did with the last two. If you want to one shot enemies, use your Bros. Attacks. 19 BP on Mario is uncomfortably low for boss battles.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

You're honestly playing the battles pretty competently at this point, which is good!

In terms of overworld button issues, I'm not sure if you're still doing that redundant A button mapping like you mentioned a few videos back, but... like I said earlier, if you're having issues with buttons, I don't think adding another layer of confusion is helping at all.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I don't know what raocow's going on about; "Pestnut" is non-ironically one of the best enemy names of all time. I couldn't stop snickering the first time I saw it.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago You're honestly playing the battles pretty competently at this point, which is good!

In terms of overworld button issues, I'm not sure if you're still doing that redundant A button mapping like you mentioned a few videos back, but... like I said earlier, if you're having issues with buttons, I don't think adding another layer of confusion is helping at all.
I've played this game like 4 times, and even I still fumble with the overworld options.

Has anyone gotten this game on the Wii U VC? Did you know you can play it with just the Wiimote sideways? It's very doable.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow accidentally picked a great stopping point today!

Good job!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

raocow: more damage! more!!! *accidentally jumps on spiky enemies*
spike badge: *lets you jump on spiky enemies for double damage*