(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rise To The Challenge

Post by Sebby19 »

Who's excited for what's going to happen in today's episode?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mario & Luigi: Megastar Saga - Rise To The Challenger from the Future

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Who's excited for what's going to happen in today's episode?
I have no idea what's going to happen, but I'm looking forward to it anyway! :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Chirei

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - :P :P :P

Post by Chirei »

If your HP is low enough, you can in fact get killed by jumping on a spiky enemy. You can't cause a Turn 0 wipe because the bros are always going to be at least 1 HP going into a fight, though.

Equipment is one of the big things that makes going heavy on offense viable in this game. You will have to obtain a lot of coins to keep up with it, but constantly getting better equipment and raw stats from level ups should have you set defensively for the whole game to the point to where you're not getting 1-2hit.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Chucklehuck sounds like a kid-friendly expletive.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Good job on Queen Bean, a very complicated early boss, when you examine her.

-She's a segmented boss, for one thing: Main body and 2 raised arms.
-Arms are too high to be hammered, while the body is protected by a spiky crown.
-You CAN hammer her main body, but she has strong defence against hammers, so you'll only do 1 damage.
-She moves all over the screen, changing the timing of her shockwave attacks.
-Hammering her main body does pusg her backward. Not sure if this really makes a difference.
And too many more unique things to list.

There is a hidden quick-kill strategy that let's you bypass weakening her arms altogether, but raocow still hasn't unlocked the option to let him do that.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Nast

Post by Nast »

raocow still seems confused by the Beanies' attack pattern. There is a way to tell if they're gonna trip or not before attacking, but I wonder if he'll ever figure it out at this point. :P

I hope this doesn't count as backseating...
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Someone might complain regardless.

So raocow, the reason I was stressing use Bros. Attacks on everything is because

repeated successful attacks will eventually unlock Advanced Bros. attacks, alternate versions of your regular ones that have unique properties

. It's not just for more damage.

Non-raocow people read this plee:

If everyone can build up hype for Queen Bean's true form, like how majestic it really is, I think we can play with rao's expectations and make a nice prank on him, once he fixes her.

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Alternatively, we could all chip in jokes to tell the fruit.
ImageImage
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Sebby, I don't understand the point of saying "hey rao the reason i keep saying this is" and then putting it in spoiler tags. Like, at that point, why bother? Because he can choose to read it if he wants? Because, uh... he's not going to want to. Especially since the entire reason he was irritated a few episodes ago was because people were (supposedly) trying to stop him from "making mistakes" in his own playthrough...

Anyway wow, that first attempt went as poorly as the second one went well! Those attacks where she drops her fist on you are deceptive. I'm pretty sure as soon as she's in front of you, you can swat her away. It's not a matter of timing it with the fist.

Also, that bean spit attack is REALLY hard to dodge without boppin the bean, so good dodging.
Piesonscreations wrote: Alternatively, we could all chip in jokes to tell the fruit.

I want everyone to have one ready for when we get there. Flood the comments. Flood the thread. Let's make this the absolute worst.

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

When I was but a wee lad, I still wasn't fully understanding of the targeting system and never noticed you could attack Queen Bean's arms. So instead I just hammered her body which does 1HP, and I think I actually killed her like that but it took a stupid amount of time.
NastCF wrote: 4 years ago raocow still seems confused by the Beanies' attack pattern. There is a way to tell if they're gonna trip or not before attacking, but I wonder if he'll ever figure it out at this point. :P

I hope this doesn't count as backseating...
He's already mentioned a few episodes ago that he's aware of it, it's just not natural to him yet. He said something like "yeah I know, he's far so he was gonna trip"
Nast

Post by Nast »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago He's already mentioned a few episodes ago that he's aware of it, it's just not natural to him yet. He said something like "yeah I know, he's far so he was gonna trip"
Oh shoot I totally missed that then. My bad!
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Overall pretty good dodging against Queen Hulk, you're getting the hang of this? Though I find it curious how much raocow continues to struggle with Bounce Bros while doing so well with Splash Bros.

Now, off to the chucklefuck totally-not-wine brewery!

Not sure how to bring it back without a thermos.... oh you sweet summer child.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Speed is usually the stat that I'd neglect the most in the bonus roulettes in these games. Seems like the benefit you'd get from attacking first is very limited and once a boss battle gets going it doesn't really matter.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago -Hammering her main body does pusg her backward. Not sure if this really makes a difference.
This is somewhat meaningful if you're doing a low stats run like I'm doing(only raising speed, no grinding and the weakest equipment available, although you don't have equipment unlocked yet anyways) because if she gets too close she starts hitting you directly and that's harder to dodge than the shockwaves... which matters a lot since iirc about 3 hits will KO you from full HP with no HP/defense ups.
warpio wrote: 4 years ago Speed is usually the stat that I'd neglect the most in the bonus roulettes in these games. Seems like the benefit you'd get from attacking first is very limited and once a boss battle gets going it doesn't really matter.
My experience only raising speed is that past a certain(fairly low) investment it's all wasted, since it normally doesn't take much to outspeed enemies, and even then it's not great. Most useful aspect is that enemies hitting the back bro doesn't matter because they'll always get up before getting attacked but that's kinda dubiously useful.

However, what is kinda useful is having Mario and Luigi move right after each other. It makes item use a bit more convenient, in particular you can do things like if someone is hurt+has an effect, clear the status effect and then also be guaranteed to be able to heal them right after with no chance of an enemy hitting them in between. So the only speed investment I would make if you're trying to minmax for some reason would be to level luigi's speed a bit to get it close to where mario's speed is.

but it still doesn't matter much lol
Last edited by Shard1697 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago Overall pretty good dodging against Queen Hulk, you're getting the hang of this? Though I find it curious how much raocow continues to struggle with Bounce Bros while doing so well with Splash Bros.
I think he's waiting for Luigi to jump onto Mario's head in the animation because the reverse happens in splash bros. I don't really know why but they make you press B while Luigi is in the air above Mario which I suppose doesn't naturally "feel" right, since Luigi isn't really taking an action in that part of the animation other than falling onto Mario's head.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

no context

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Shard1697 wrote: 4 years agoHowever, what is kinda useful is having Mario and Luigi move right after each other. It makes item use a bit more convenient, in particular you can do things like if someone is hurt+has an effect, clear the status effect and then also be guaranteed to be able to heal them right after with no chance of an enemy hitting them in between. So the only speed investment I would make if you're trying to minmax for some reason would be to level luigi's speed a bit to get it close to where mario's speed is.
I agree. I hate it when the average turn order is M>E>L>M>E>L

As I alluded to before, something very interesting happens when you match the Speed of both bros. Normally, the turn order follows this pattern: M>L>E>M>L>E>M>L>E, assuming both bros are faster than the Enemy.
But, if the Speeds are matched, turn order is changed to this: M>L>E>L>M>E>M>L>E>L. This is probably a glitch, but effectively you can have the same bro move twice in a row, if you ignore the enemy's turn. This comes with it's own advantages, since you can use the same Bros. Attack before and after the opponents turn.
It's pretty hard to maintain, since Mario is naturally faster.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I forgot how interesting the bosses in this game can be. This is still pretty early on and yet there's already a boss which is relatively complex, with Queen Bean having multiple targets to take out before being able to do any real damage to the main boss, which regenerate after a while. Her attacks also change depending on how many arms she has remaining, and when she has none she's able to spawn minor enemies to help her. With all that being said, I liked this boss, and I'm looking forward to seeing other bosses that I probably forgot about as well.

Anyway, raocow leveled up once again, so here's what his bonus stat allocation looks like.
The first number is the total increase, while the numbers in brackets show each individual level up.
Mario
HP +3 (+3)
BP +3 (+2 +1)
POW +8 (+2 +1 +1 +1 +3)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +0
STACHE +2 (+2)

Luigi
HP +0
BP +4 (+2 +2)
POW +10 (+1 +3 +1 +1 +4)
DEF +2 (+2)
SPEED +4 (+4)
STACHE +1 (+1)

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Non-raocow people read this plee:

If everyone can build up hype for Queen Bean's true form, like how majestic it really is, I think we can play with rao's expectations and make a nice prank on him, once he fixes her.

Are you suggesting that the way everyone bounces eight feet into the air whenever

Queen Bean

laughs and are completely nonchalant about it

is

not

majestic, beautiful, and one of the silliest things in the game

?

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Queen Bean's true form is a sight to behold. One look and you'll see she deserves to be called 'Your Majesty!'.

In Dream Team, you'll even find a vacationing Beanish person holding a picture of her, fauning over her beauty. Bit creepy, but understandable.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I hate to be the fun police cause I know you're just trying to have a good time but I think this is worth saying. By going out of your way to hype up her appearance, you're inherently giving away the punchline which I think is the opposite of what you wanted to do? Like, why would raocow believe you're not joking when saying that she's very majestic and stuff? What would her appearance have to be in order for you to be ACTUALLY saying "wow she's so majestic"? Try to look at this from raocow's perspective: If everyone in the thread is going "Queen bean is a beautiful majestic queen," it just draws suspicion and reveals it to be a joke which gives away the fact that she's gonna have a funny true form. This game's writing made it fairly popular for a reason -- because it's good. I don't see why we need to be trying to "improve" the jokes, especially when it's gonna end up doing the complete reverse.

Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

man, was her true appearance supposed to be a joke? i just took it at face value that she had a very nonstandard design for a cherished, beloved, and respected female character. and i thought that was cool! queen bean IS majestic and i mean this TOTALLY UNIRONICALLY

call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago no context

Luigi Wheelie is a very powerful attack.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

queen bean kinda just looks like a happy grandma

Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - :B :B :B

Post by Awoo »

I have an awful joke to contribute to the Charlie Cola manufacturing process:

Q:When is a door not a door?

A: