(shouting)

An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Re: An SMWCentral Production: A game about some eggs

Post by GanonTEK »

I'm liking this hack quite a bit so far :)
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Lol, today's video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7p8Jj2OGeQ#t=3:23 : A goomba bounces up behind a fireflower and KOs a lakitu, generally looking chaotic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7p8Jj2OGeQ#t=11:35 : A podoboo corner glitches, then shortly after mario does too
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

I think the Banzai Bill graphics probably should have been a one-time thing (or at the very least turned back to a more normal version for this particular level, à la the bullet-based fortress in ASMT). I know that's a popular inside joke over at SMWC, but it seems to have been taken a bit too far here. And the fact that this particular level, which pretty clearly wasn't designed with the change in mind, occurs to early in the game makes it wear out its welcome all the more quickly, as well.
megamario

Post by megamario »

So raocow did you just never notice the platform you kept activating behind the tree

Also no castle destruction cutscene is the worst :(
Last edited by megamario 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Well yes but I thought you used that platform to get up higher to like, a secret pipe or something.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

How could you say that boss was hard? A success rate of 2/3 is unprecedented.
dont wanna jihad no more
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I just noticed the "gimmick" of video titles for this series.

It's a lot more subtle than those other times!
video games
Cup

Post by Cup »

The boss looks to have been made a bit easier since the initial release. I think SNN said he changed it around a bit as of version 1.4. The fireballs seemed quite a bit slower, but that could easily just be my eyes playing tricks on me, trying to fool myself, since I took much, much longer to beat the boss than raocow did.

Then again, haven't played it for a while, so I could be mistaken.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

So, world 5 castle, need some help
What am I exactly supposed to do at the first boss? I can't hit the spinning thingie, and hitting the switch doesn't seem to damage him. I tried hitting it 10 times, but nothing happened.
Kleiner Kokiri

Post by Kleiner Kokiri »

raocow wrote:Well yes but I thought you used that platform to get up higher to like, a secret pipe or something.
My exact same reaction.
I thought the normal exit might have been a false one and there would be a secret exit creating a new path.
MrDeePay

Post by MrDeePay »

Cup wrote:The boss looks to have been made a bit easier since the initial release. I think SNN said he changed it around a bit as of version 1.4. The fireballs seemed quite a bit slower, but that could easily just be my eyes playing tricks on me, trying to fool myself, since I took much, much longer to beat the boss than raocow did.

Then again, haven't played it for a while, so I could be mistaken.
- Giant Spiny originally needed five hits to take out, but was lowered to three before the official release.
- Giant Spiny was also originally the World 3 boss in fact, T.Tower as a whole was originally a World 3 castle; Sinister Dungeon's gimmick is what ultimately caused the two levels to swap out. Of course, what is now the World 3 boss isn't exactly a pushover as well.
cozyduck wrote:So, world 5 castle, need some help
What am I exactly supposed to do at the first boss? I can't hit the spinning thingie, and hitting the switch doesn't seem to damage him. I tried hitting it 10 times, but nothing happened.
Hit the On/Off switch with the block and a part of the Spider Guardian's track will electrify (it'll be yellow) momentarily. SG just needs to run into that part of the track for it to be defeated.

You'll need to do that again for the end of the level, only 2-3 times that time.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Little tidbit which explains some more of the "what" parts of the hack (such as Toad Town and the levels that lead nowhere (spoiler: there are four of them)).

These were actually supposed to be part of a bigger plan, which would have ultimately been required for 100% completion. However, the ROM filled up. Literally. It got to the point where even inserting one more song or something would overfill it and crash it. Hell, some music even needed to be cut in order to fit everything. Scary.

Also: yes, the world 1 boss was made easier than it was before.
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

Okay yeah the dry bones look super wonky

Also no castle destruction scene was cool. They're always the damn same except for any goofy text added, who cares about them really
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

No offense to the person that made the redrawn castle GFX, but I honestly liked the way treacherous tower looked with the original SMW foreground. Can't say I'm fond of ANY of the default visuals so far, but gameplay wise everything is looking pretty solid.

Also, thank goodness none of the castles use that shitty noob's boss sprite or whatever the hell it's called.
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

Man, the re-drawn Dry Bones was terrible. Probably because it was side view, instead of 3/4 view like everything else.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

That keyhole does indeed lead to trouble.
megamario

Post by megamario »

Wait why are the bullet bills different from the ones in the cave? They were more pointy, silver, and with red fins in there. I liked the hammer graphic swap; it looks nice

...Weeaboo manor? Is this the part of the hack where we crossover with Mario Gives Up?
HuFlungDu

Post by HuFlungDu »

megamario wrote:Wait why are the bullet bills different from the ones in the cave?
ExGfx. Personally, I prefer those ones to the global ones...
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

This is as far as I played so the rest is blind for me.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Some of the comments on YT are really interesting to say the least. The few negative comments I've read share a trend: "this hack sucks because the sprite art looks like shit". Shrug.

...Actually, the whole "inside joke" as a whole is rather hilarious. Reggie is literally the only thing SMWC-related in there minus one boss. Where are people getting this "filled with inside references" thing from?

above poster: one wouldn't criticize a project made for them as much as one .. well, not made for them.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

DJSecret wrote: And him saying "don't base a whole game around references and expect people to know them" (paraphrase) is a huge hypocrisy.
Yeah, except that's not what I said in the slightest, there buddy. I said, it's a bad idea to make a level center around another game's gimmick and expect people to immediatly recognise how to handle that gimmick.

How.. how you managed to interpret it this way baffles me!

Also I'm nitpickish because I'm sure snn and the crew appreciate some feedback from outside their usual circle, so I go out of my way to be explicit with my thoughts.
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

S.N.N. wrote:...Actually, the whole "inside joke" as a whole is rather hilarious. Reggie is literally the only thing SMWC-related in there minus one boss. Where are people getting this "filled with inside references" thing from?
I don't speak for everyone, but as far as what I said earlier, I was just jabbing at how, in any hack, collaborative or not, inside jokes pretty much get shunned in five seconds or less (and this practice is probably for the best). So, like, any inside joke or secret reference gets overblown as a hit to quality as a kneejerk reaction. Even if it's just a silly Banzai Bill replacement that anyone can laugh at because it's a goofy sprite!

Oh, and uh, not being a SMWC person, I can either guess that the llama coins are also an inside thing, or that someone just went all crazy and put a llama on a coin. Now, uh, I don't mean to say that SMWC is stuffy and filled with harumph-harumph types, but generally speaking, that audience is kinda serious about SMW hacking, so I just don't think it's a ha-ha-boy-am-I-ramdom thing.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

The llama coin isn't an inside joke either. Actually, if I recall, the author of that coin actually made it with this community in mind (as in, I think they were inspired by A2MT's coins). But yeah, it's also random.

(Would that be like .. an outside-inside-joke?)
raocow

Post by raocow »

I remember the dude was asking how they should be replaced, and I was all 'hey you should make the coins into a parrot!'

And he did, but it was changed soon after.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So, is the "cutscene" in today's video representative of the rest of the ones in the game?

Personally, it felt like it went on a bit too long, and it wasn't really as funny as it seemed like it was trying to be.